Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    Has anyone seen those videos where they por Reg. Coke on a car battery and it eats away the corrosion? -that's a little pass fear mongering....WIll Diet coke do they same thing, just eat our insides out.

Have you seen what happens when you pour water+baking soda on a car battery? The corrosion is eaten away. Are you going to stop drinking water and eating bread?

It's even worse than that. Have you seen the Grand Canyon? Water did that. Imagine what 64 ounces a day (the bare minimum recommendation of those who argue that all hydration must come from unadulterated water), consumed day in and day out, week after week, year after year, will do to your insides, if it can dig a hole that size in the earth. (shudder)

^^^^WHAT???^^^^
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen those videos where they por Reg. Coke on a car battery and it eats away the corrosion? -that's a little pass fear mongering....WIll Diet coke do they same thing, just eat our insides out.

Have you seen what happens when you pour water+baking soda on a car battery? The corrosion is eaten away. Are you going to stop drinking water and eating bread?

It's even worse than that. Have you seen the Grand Canyon? Water did that. Imagine what 64 ounces a day (the bare minimum recommendation of those who argue that all hydration must come from unadulterated water), consumed day in and day out, week after week, year after year, will do to your insides, if it can dig a hole that size in the earth. (shudder)

^^^^WHAT???^^^^

Pointing out the silliness of using the car battery vs human stomach argument.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options

Hi
    That would be from the Phosphoric Acid in the Coke.

Cheers
    Roger
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    What's the appeal of diet soda? What are people tasting exactly?

I'm genuinely curious. No snark.

I remember as a kid drinking one of my parent's Diet Cokes after we ran out of the good stuff, and it had a taste so vile that I remember wanting to chase it with Nyquil.

I know people drink beer to have a good time or coffee to wake them up, but what is it about diet soda that makes people loyal?

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    So if I'm going by the Calories In/Calories Out method then it's all the same..no?

Hi
    Simple answer, yes and No from the FDA here:
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.60
    (4) For dietary supplements, claims regarding calories may not be made on products that meet the criteria in 101.60(b)(1) or (b)(2) for "calorie free" or "low calorie" claims except when an equivalent amount of a similar dietary supplement (e.g., another protein supplement) that the labeled food resembles and for which it substitutes, normally exceeds the definition for "low calorie" in 101.60(b)(2).

(b) Calorie content claims. (1) The terms "calorie free," "free of calories," "no calories," "zero calories," "without calories," "trivial source of calories," "negligible source of calories," or "dietarily insignificant source of calories" may be used on the label or in the labeling of foods, provided that:

(i) The food contains less than 5 calories per reference amount customarily consumed and per labeled serving.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    eba2003 wrote: »
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/science-vs-soda-whats-really-in-your-diet-coke

You can read this starters.

And going back to the other points, of course one fast food burger is not going to kill you. You can stay within your calorie range eating processed foods and still lose weight, but it won't make you feel good and healthy....

Men's Health?

Which ones are the actual toxins?

Also, I eat processed food, I lost weight, AND I feel good AND I am healthy. Must be a special snowflake.

I like how at the bottom they say "We're not trying to say diet coke is the devil" after every bullet point they mentioned said "This will give you cancer!!!!!"

And the credibility of their source is thrown out the window she said there's conflicting evidence on aspartame.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I remember as a kid drinking one of my parent's Diet Cokes after we ran out of the good stuff, and it had a taste so vile that I remember wanting to chase it with Nyquil.

I know people drink beer to have a good time or coffee to wake them up, but what is it about diet soda that makes people loyal?

Cause it tastes yummy. So does beer. So does coffee.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    eba2003 wrote: »
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    It's the same but it's not the same on your intestines. I don't eat fast food but it's like me saying that if I eat a burger from mc Donald's of 500+ calories than its the same as if I was to eat my wild caught fish burrito of 500+ calories. Calories are the same bit ingredients are definitely not. Remember, you are what you eat. Always enjoy your meals spiritualy and physically

Your body has no "fast food detector". Everything you eat simply gets taken apart into its components.
    The burger is starch carbs from the bun, some fiber and sugars from the lettuce, tomatos etc. protein and fat from the meat, some sugar and whatever from the sauce.
    The burrito has starch carbs from the wrap thing, some fiber and sugars from whatever veggies are in it, protein and fat from the fish, if there's sauce in it sugar and stuff.

The fast food burger will have preservatives and additives that ruin your body, the meat won't be from a grass fed cow adding to the strain.

Water flushed out toxins from your body. Zero calorie coke adds them back in, causes bloating and digestive issues.

Eating highly processed food made in a factory by scientists whose purpose is to get you addicted to their "food" does not do the same thing to your body as eating fresh real food, even if the calories are the same.

Orly?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

Beat me to it. The fearmongering and pseudoscience surrounding food choices is ridiculous and 99% of it is not supported by actual science.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Hey, guys...No one is getting out of here alive. If you want to be truly horrified, read up on endocrine disruptors that are common in our personal care products. That's scary stuff, but I'm not gonna stop using deodorant and shampoo either...just saying.

Or you could run products through the EWG database and find ones you like that also have low scores: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

About Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Methodology

My shampoo and deodorant have the lowest score of 1.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Someone upthread mentioned sunscreen. Below are is a link to brands in EWG's Hall of Shame.

http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/hall-of-shame/

How we picked the Hall of Shame

1) Spray sunscreens

One in every four sunscreens in this year’s database is a spray. People like sprays because they’re easy to squirt on squirming kids and hard-to-reach areas. But they may pose serious inhalation risks, and they make it too easy to apply too little or miss a spot.

The FDA has expressed doubts about their safety and effectiveness but hasn’t banned them. As long as they’re legal, sunscreen manufacturers will make them.

2) Sky-high SPFs

One eighth of the sunscreens we evaluated this year boast SPFs above 50+. SPF stands for “sun protection factor,” but that outdated term refers only to protection against UVB rays that burn the skin. It has little to do with a product’s ability to protect skin from UVA rays, which penetrate deep into the body, accelerate skin aging, may suppress the immune system and may cause skin cancer.

The worst thing about high-SPF products is that they give people a false sense of security and tempt them to stay in the sun too long. They suppress sunburns but raise the risk of other kinds of skin damage. The FDA is considering barring SPF above 50+.

3) Oxybenzone

Half of the beach and sport sunscreens in this year’s guide contain oxybenzone, an active ingredient in sunscreens. But it penetrates the skin, gets into the bloodstream and acts like estrogen in the body. It can trigger allergic skin reactions. Some research studies, while not conclusive, have linked higher concentrations of oxybenzone to disorders, including endometriosis in older women and, lower birth weights in newborn girls.

4) Retinyl palmitate

Nearly 20 percent of the sunscreens and SPF-rated moisturizers and 13 percent of SPF-rate lip products in this year’s guide contain retinyl palmitate, a form of vitamin A. Night creams with this chemical may help skin look more youthful. But on sun-exposed skin, retinyl palmitate may speed development of skin tumors and lesions, according to government studies. Why does the FDA allow this “inactive ingredient” in sunscreens intended for use in the sun? The agency has been studying the chemical for years but hasn’t made a decision. We have. The definitive study may not have been done, but we think we know enough to believe you’re better off without sunscreens with retinyl palmitate.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Ya, I've yet to find an artificial sweetener I don't find vile. Perhaps our tastebuds are different than those who find diet soda yummy.

• ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke vs. Water....Chemicals we don't need and our body can't process vs. something we need to replenish our bodies (made up of water) with a few needed additives in it (fluoride, etc). Seems easy to me.

Diet Coke is about the taste and carbonation. I love it but I limit myself to one a day. I've been told by my doctor that my body reacts to sweeteners in the same way it reacts to sugar, meaning I shouldn't have it. My compromise is the one per day. Diet Coke can also be dehydrating, which kind of defeats the purpose. It took a little while for my taste buds to adjust. I found that I can no longer drink Diet Pepsi, it tastes chemically to me. I don't crave the pop any more, I think its more carbonation that I like.

That being said, if you aren't worried about the chemicals and the dehydration chances, they are equal in calories and count the same.
  • liftsalltheweights
    Options
    I'll take water -- or even seltzer water -- over that any day. Not a fan of the fake, disgustingly sweet taste of the diet crap. And with the regular I can almost feel the calcium being leeched from my teeth.
  • AnvilHead
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    Diet Coke vs. Water....Chemicals we don't need and our body can't process vs. something we need to replenish our bodies (made up of water) with a few needed additives in it (fluoride, etc). Seems easy to me.

Diet Coke is about the taste and carbonation. I love it but I limit myself to one a day. I've been told by my doctor that my body reacts to sweeteners in the same way it reacts to sugar, meaning I shouldn't have it. My compromise is the one per day. Diet Coke can also be dehydrating, which kind of defeats the purpose. It took a little while for my taste buds to adjust. I found that I can no longer drink Diet Pepsi, it tastes chemically to me. I don't crave the pop any more, I think its more carbonation that I like.

That being said, if you aren't worried about the chemicals and the dehydration chances, they are equal in calories and count the same.

1) Which chemicals, specifically, and why can our body not process them? Aspartame, for example, is composed of two amino acids, both of which are found in much higher concentrations in many of the foods we eat.

2) By what mechanism is Diet Coke dehydrating? Are you speaking of the caffeine in it? Because that theory has been scientifically debunked:

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618
    ...caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health. Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume. In the 10 studies reviewed, consumption of a CB resulted in 0-84% retention of the initial volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0-81% retention.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »

What do you think is the main ingredient in diet coke?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's the same but it's not the same on your intestines. I don't eat fast food but it's like me saying that if I eat a burger from mc Donald's of 500+ calories than its the same as if I was to eat my wild caught fish burrito of 500+ calories. Calories are the same bit ingredients are definitely not. Remember, you are what you eat. Always enjoy your meals spiritualy and physically

I've never seen a fish burrito in its natural habitat
  • AnvilHead
    edited February 2016
    Options

Because it's highly relevant and bears reposting: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

Every once in a great while, I get a craving for chili cheese dogs from Der Weinerschnitzel. Nothing else will do at that moment. Believe me when I say that I thoroughly enjoy every single delicious bite of those chili and cheese slathered dogs both spiritually and physically. To the maximum possible extent.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    So if I'm going by the Calories In/Calories Out method then it's all the same..no?
    It's the same. I don't find diet soda to be as refreshing as water but that's just personal preference. I'm sure plenty feel the other way around which is perfectly fine too.
  • Interbeing
    Interbeing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons not to drink diet sodas, or any sodas on a regular basis. There are a number of peer reviewed studies out now that have shown that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain and is associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. For those that like their smile, the citric acid found in sodas weakens and destroys tooth enamel over time. Researchers have also found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. And, not to pile on, a recent study conducted by the University of Miami and Columbia University found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none.

There are enough peer reviewed compelling reasons for not consuming either regular or diet sodas from a health perspective that I choose to avoid them, especially when there are so many healthier alternatives. Good luck all with your health fitness goals for 2016!
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Interbeing wrote: »
    There are a number of peer reviewed studies out now that have shown that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain and is associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes.

Links to said research?

Researchers have also found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women, increasing the risk of osteoporosis.

At what dosages? Were there controls in place to differentiate between causation and correlation?

And, not to pile on, a recent study conducted by the University of Miami and Columbia University found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none.

Again, at what dosages? I haven't seen the study, but this sounds like an epidemiological study, which again can't differentiate between causation and correlation.