Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    What's the appeal of diet soda? What are people tasting exactly?

what is it about diet soda that makes people loyal?

Diet Coke is the nectar of the gods.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    sanfromny wrote: »
    So if I'm going by the Calories In/Calories Out method then it's all the same..no?
    It's the same. I don't find diet soda to be as refreshing as water but that's just personal preference. I'm sure plenty feel the other way around which is perfectly fine too.

At many times I don't either. Actually, pretty much anytime I'm thirsty/seeking refreshment, water is my first choice. I mostly enjoy diet soda with certain meals, as it complements what I'm eating.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So if I'm going by the Calories In/Calories Out method then it's all the same..no?
    It's the same. I don't find diet soda to be as refreshing as water but that's just personal preference. I'm sure plenty feel the other way around which is perfectly fine too.

At many times I don't either. Actually, pretty much anytime I'm thirsty/seeking refreshment, water is my first choice. I mostly enjoy diet soda with certain meals, as it complements what I'm eating.

The only time I drink soda is when I mix it with rum. But in that case it is not diet. Rum and diet soda is nasty... IMO.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The only time I drink soda is when I mix it with rum. But in that case it is not diet. Rum and diet soda is nasty... IMO.

That just means your ratio of rum to soda isn't right. Try adding rum until the taste of the soda no longer bothers you.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

That just means your ratio of rum to soda isn't right. Try adding rum until the taste of the soda no longer bothers you.

LMAO!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. Water good, soda bad. :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I'm genuinely curious. No snark.

I remember as a kid drinking one of my parent's Diet Cokes after we ran out of the good stuff, and it had a taste so vile that I remember wanting to chase it with Nyquil.

I know people drink beer to have a good time or coffee to wake them up, but what is it about diet soda that makes people loyal?

I don't drink soda often, but the only one I buy is Coke Zero. All "regular" (not diet) kinds taste kind of...thick? to me, I'm not sure what the deal is. If the choice is between thirst and a full-sugar one (if water isn't available), I'll still choose nothing, but not the case with diet.

I like the taste occasionally, and it's easier to justify a Coke Zero after dinner than a double Lagavulin....
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This is correct.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

what is it about diet soda that makes people loyal?

Diet Coke is the nectar of the gods.

But what about Coke Zero?
  • AnvilHead
    Options

That's because you're drinking rum. It mixes great with Jack or Jim! :D
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Interbeing wrote: »
    There are a lot of reasons not to drink diet sodas, or any sodas on a regular basis. There are a number of peer reviewed studies out now that have shown that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain and is associated with an increased risk of type 2.
    https://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

Also that's not how weight gain works even.

For those that like their smile, the citric acid found in sodas weakens and destroys tooth enamel over time.
    As does the citric acid in... citrus fruits. Or malic acid from apples. Many fruits are acidic really. Don't hear anyone telling you to stay away from them for your teeth's sake. Because dental hygiene exists.
    Researchers have also found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. And, not to pile on, a recent study conducted by the University of Miami and Columbia University found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none.
    Was it? Links? But really, since already your first "there are studies..." thing was wrong I'm not looking forward to it.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I don't drink diet sodas because they contain a lot of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)

In case you didn't know about the dangers of DHMO.

Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
    Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
    Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
    Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
    Contributes to soil erosion.
    Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
    Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
    Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
    Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Not sure if just trolling or just stupid...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet sodas because they contain a lot of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)

Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
    Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

Not sure if just trolling or just stupid...

I think it's humour
  • BrandyGanus
    Options
    Ah ok... difficult to tell with just text... (I've actually seen someone say this in complete seriousness when I thought they were joking)
  • AnvilHead
    Options

Don't forget that DHMO is also used to fuel rockets and create nuclear weapons. The horror!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Don't forget that DHMO is also used to fuel rockets and create nuclear weapons. The horror!

I also heard the CIA has used it to torture people.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

And trump wants to bring it back.
  • BrandyGanus
    Options
    apparently, i don't know how to do this internet forum thing...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    apparently, i don't know how to do this internet forum thing...

You'll get the hang of it
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

And trump wants to bring it back.

I'm sure he'll accomplish that as soon as he builds his wall. :lol: