March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to comment on this Strava thing:
    Firstly, I have never even heard of it before reading this thread this morning.
    Secondly, I now feel like I need to sign myself up.
    I already use Runkeeper, Garmin Connect, Fitbit, MFP, and when I run on my gym's treadmill, mywellness. (Can you tell I'm a data hound?) What's one more app to sync to all the rest? Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

you made me think of this
    topbg.jpg
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270: I also have a Word document that I use to keep this board updated! haha At least I'm not alone in this. :smile:

@moyer566: I love that! If you haven't guessed, I am totally #1. :wink: I feel silly running with both my Garmin and my Fitbit, and I do get weird looks, sometimes. I would totally lose the Fitbit during runs, but I want it to track ALL my steps for the day because I have obsessive tenancies. On the flip side, I don't want to lose the Garmin because I like the chest strap HR monitor, as I find it is much more accurate than the wrist one on Fitbit, plus I only have the Fitbit Charge HR, so it doesn't have the GPS. I really need an all-in-one gadget and app to go with it. I am such a nerd. :smiley:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @instantmartian they don't have the dog runner :wink:
    i run with my vivosmart and runkeeper.

8672f0f139c89f89ec287336012025ca.jpg

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi all. I just how the how strava group exploded in less than 24 hours. However, NO! Strava doesn't replace this thread. I have been on strava for over a year and before that garmin Connect and runtastic. But i still come back here because in the very beginning, this was my original place to log all of my workouts. it was my original social media platform that got me into running in the first place.

I love data and I love the different ways to track and communicate what i am doing. It seems complicated, but it's all integrated. I even have a runningahead account. lol Plus my blog and my FB specific site.

No, I don't have a problem. I can quite anytime I like. ;-)

EDITED: I did want to address strava for the self concious. Please don't get discouraged if you run low miles. We all started somewhere. if you are at the bottom of the leaderboard, just remember. You are not competing with us. You are competing with your former self. Just go at your own pace. In time, you will go up on the leaderboard. Don't stress over it and don't force your body to do anything it is not ready to do. And by God, don't get discouraged if you are not there yet. We all started at the bottom. Just keep at it. We are all here to help support one another.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Thank you! Uploaded a pic and now I feel better!

@Stoshew71 I am so glad you started the Strava group. I love being able to *see* where each of us is in relation to everyone else. It will also help feed the ego when we move up on the leaderboard!

I got a lot of my info uploaded to Strava but not all of it yet. Strava isn't available as a free app on Windows phones so I have to manually upload each individual day. With doing that though, I'm getting information that I didn't have before...such as my projected time for a 5k, my best times for certain distances, encouragement to do the route again to see improvements etc. It's really cool and I'm glad I joined. B)
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

EDITED: I did want to address strava for the self concious. Please don't get discouraged if you run low miles. We all started somewhere. if you are at the bottom of the leaderboard, just remember. You are not competing with us. You are competing with your former self. Just go at your own pace. In time, you will go up on the leaderboard. Don't stress over it and don't force your body to do anything it is not ready to do. And by God, don't get discouraged if you are not there yet. We all started at the bottom. Just keep at it. We are all here to help support one another.

Lol I'm a little glad you said this. I got on Strava yesterday because I really didn't like my previous running app and figured this may be a better one since so many of you guys use it. But then I started thinking that I didn't want to follow people because then they would see how truly pitiful I am when it comes to running. I've been running on and off for years and am just now starting to get more serious about it (stupid peer pressure :smile: ) and so I'm slow with super low mileage!! Still it can be a little intimidating sometimes with all the more advanced runners on here... I'm just choosing to use it all as encouragement and motivation to stick with it this time!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    No, I don't have a problem. I can quite anytime I like. ;-)

Yes you have a problem. Just like the rest of us!

I agree with the Strava statement. I find myself thinking "if I go get X miles...." But it IS about US as individuals. I just love seeing the routes everyone runs. And there person that ran around the same loop a zillion times? Wow! That's dedication!

On another note- Today is my 4 year anniversary of pain. Yes, it was that memorable. Coincidentally, today I seem to have a marked improvement in muscle strength and coordination. Huzzah! I'm not perfect. But (halfass) keeping at the PT has paid off. I'll have to tell my doc I love him.

Now off for a long walk to break in my newly acquired running sun glasses. *schwing*.

Newbies- we love you. Remindes me of a NA/AA saying, something about us being nothing without you... I'd butcher it if I tried to quote. But your steps, miles and strength matter.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @moyer566: Again, I am glad I am not alone in my tech/tracking obsession!

@Stoshew71: The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. :smile: For me, though, I embrace my addiction (and blame my father for my tech-geekiness...and overall nerdiness, really).
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Ha I run pretty low millage compared to some of the people here. Right now I'm at around 30 km per week (18-20 miles) and I aspire to run much more but when I look at my strava timeline I can see how much I have improved. My first 5k was 32 minutes. I can run it in 23 now. I can't compare myself to other runners cause that would be stupid. They are different people. I'm glad to see more beginners joining. Running is something beautiful and adictive but you don't fall in love easily with it, especially at first

Like this guy said

https://youtu.be/_0Jzu-iDdy4?t=5m20s

recovery run today. Really easy pace cause I was so tired and my leg were sore but it seem to have helped for now no soreness

Shooting for 100 km this month and I so look forward to praise the sun.

.....Date.....Distance.......Pace......................................Random feel of the day
    March 01 - rest
    March 02 - 5 km............(4:42).........Stop bouncing like Bambi you idiot you gonna kill your knees
    March 03 - 7 km............(6:00)............................Bend at the ankles not the waist.
    March 04 - 3.5 km.........(7.46)....................A metronome app helps with your cadence

exercise.png

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    3/1 Easy 2 miles
    3/3 1 mile on Treadmill.
    3/4 2 miles on Treadmill

20 to go.

@_nikkiwolf_ Thank you for your response. I tried the dynamic stretches and foam rolling before and static stretches and more foam rolling after and it helped a little. It was tolerable while running and not to sore after I was done. I did find a decent article online that gave me some good stretches to try in addition to what I was shown.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MobyCarp I can understand your frustration :/ Even tho I don't have to rely as much on my tech, it's still extremely frustrating when it wont work as intended. As an aside, how you do you check your watch with all your winter gear on? Mine is buried so deep there is no hope of casually checking it, lol.

@kristinegift enjoy your rest day, you certainly earned it!! I love how seamless strava is (I have no old files to upload, and it doesn't seem to check back farther then a month for me, oh well) I'm going to enjoy this extra data :relaxed: And now I gotta check out Oiselle, thank you and @Elise4270 !

@rohanivan This thread will be the chattiest it's ever been, you'll see. I think strava is more about actually seeing each others runs and times.

@WhatMeRunning I volunteer for the bottom of the leaderboard!! No pressure is my game, lol.

@instantmartian That feels like me too! The thing that made me decide to go ahead and get strava was that it makes it super easy to compare runs
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Man its been cold lately! -16c (3f) out today, but the sun was beautiful. I froze in the shade and basked in the sun haha. I am still chilled hours later. Felt hard today, but not as hard as the run on the treadmill on the second.

I'm just starting to figure out a running plan, so things are changing fast with it. I think I will try to do my long run on sat, and recovery on sun, then rest mon. Of course my long run is no run yet, i'm using that day to add mileage so it will be the longest run of the week, soon.

How much mileage I add will depend on how well I adjust to running back to back days and increasing from running 3-4 days a week to 5!

3/1 - 3.1
    3/2 - 3.1
    3/3 - x-train stationary bike
    3/4 - 3.1 slooow miles with my average HR

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Ran over to the local Fleet Feet store over lunch (.3 miles), and ended up buying a new pair of shoes. Altra Torin 2.0, to be exact. They have a wider toe-box, so hopefully that will help with my blistering, as my foot is right on the verge between normal and wide. I'm already in high quality running socks (Balega), so I don't think that's the issue. I ran an additional .7 miles on the treadmill in the new shoes when i got back to the gym, with only mild discomfort where my blisters are. Hoping these shoes work for me.

That brings me up to 11.4 miles of 100 for the month. Probably won't run again until Sunday to give the blisters a little time to simmer down.
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 70 Miles for March

3/1 – 3.21 Mi
    3/3 – 5.91 Mi

Progress toward Goal 9.12 / 70
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 I really enjoyed that video. Thanks for posting it.

I am also really happy to see all these new beginner runners and I hope that I can make a positive impact in their lives. It's my way to pay it back.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk

21.65 miles/150

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  231.73 / 2016
  • jstafaz
    jstafaz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday all!
    Today was a good day. 3.54 miles felt "sort of" easy (can't believe I am saying that?!) so I followed up with 30 minutes of strength training. Planning on a riding day tomorrow - I promise I will NOT count those horsey miles on my ticker but man would my time rock!

exercise.png