March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    rune1990 wrote: »

@MobyCarp I can understand your frustration :/ Even tho I don't have to rely as much on my tech, it's still extremely frustrating when it wont work as intended. As an aside, how you do you check your watch with all your winter gear on? Mine is buried so deep there is no hope of casually checking it, lol.

I run with a lady that puts hers on the outermost layer.

Oh and Oiselle is expensive. I was squimish for a month before buying anything. But that's why I have an account for running expenses.
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago I couldn't run. I found out that my anemia was worst (I had it since the birth of my twins 22 years ago), and even going up two flights of stairs would send my heart way up. So we found out how to control my iron levels and I started trying to run. In the beginning, 30 seconds running, my heart beat would go as high as 215. Last year, I ran a 5k close to home, did it in a bit over 36min, which I know is slow, but for me is a victory. This year I'm going for the 10k. For sure I'll walk a bit, but I hope to do it under 1h25min.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    pcarvalho3 wrote: »
    A couple years ago I couldn't run. I found out that my anemia was worst (I had it since the birth of my twins 22 years ago), and even going up two flights of stairs would send my heart way up. So we found out how to control my iron levels and I started trying to run. In the beginning, 30 seconds running, my heart beat would go as high as 215. Last year, I ran a 5k close to home, did it in a bit over 36min, which I know is slow, but for me is a victory. This year I'm going for the 10k. For sure I'll walk a bit, but I hope to do it under 1h25min.

Super! I have twins that are 20. Welcome to the running group
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    EDITED: I did want to address strava for the self concious. Please don't get discouraged if you run low miles. We all started somewhere. if you are at the bottom of the leaderboard, just remember. You are not competing with us. You are competing with your former self. Just go at your own pace. In time, you will go up on the leaderboard. Don't stress over it and don't force your body to do anything it is not ready to do. And by God, don't get discouraged if you are not there yet. We all started at the bottom. Just keep at it. We are all here to help support one another.

Yes, this! One of the reasons that I love this thread/corner of MFP is that everyone is supportive, whether you run a 6 minute mile or a 16 minute mile, are just getting into running or are diving into ultras. I don't think anyone on this forum or the strava group will be judging at all. We all started somewhere!
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    EDITED: I did want to address strava for the self concious. Please don't get discouraged if you run low miles. We all started somewhere. if you are at the bottom of the leaderboard, just remember. You are not competing with us. You are competing with your former self. Just go at your own pace. In time, you will go up on the leaderboard. Don't stress over it and don't force your body to do anything it is not ready to do. And by God, don't get discouraged if you are not there yet. We all started at the bottom. Just keep at it. We are all here to help support one another.

Yes, this! One of the reasons that I love this thread/corner of MFP is that everyone is supportive, whether you run a 6 minute mile or a 16 minute mile, are just getting into running or are diving into ultras. I don't think anyone on this forum or the strava group will be judging at all. We all started somewhere!

Couldn't agree more. I've only been here a couple of months, but I love how supportive this group is. It's been a big factor in stepping up the amount of running that I'm doing.

8 miles tonight. 14/75 for the month.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I've tried and tried but I can't get strava to sync with garmin connect. Will try again 2moro. Does strava limit the group to USA only as I've been searching for it but not luck. Tech disaster day all round.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    And here I was thinking I should have totally taken a screenshot yesterday, when a lot of people hadn't joined yet or hadn't synched their runs yet. That was probably my last chance for a while (or ever) to be that far up on the leaderboard :p

Just kidding - I never saw it as some kind of competition with the people I'm following on Strava.
    I was already on Strava anyway, because my watch can synch all my runs there automatically (it also offered options to synch mapmyfitness and runkeeper, but I looked at all three and liked Strava best), and now I enjoy reading that people are running and how far / how fast / where, ...
    Seeing (for outside runs) the small map bits, and sometimes the little "new PR" trophy cups, and of course the occasional photos, that's all kind of cool. It contributes to the community feeling for me, but it won't replace the chat and discussions here.

I've tried and tried but I can't get strava to sync with garmin connect. Will try again 2moro. Does strava limit the group to USA only as I've been searching for it but not luck. Tech disaster day all round.
    @Marissaxzxzxz Actually, I think we are already ~10 non-USA members in the Strava group, so that should not be an issue. Here's the link again: https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng , you should be able to request to join the club if you go to that page.
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    March Goal = 55 miles
    Today = 6.3 miles
    Total = 10 miles
    Thank goodness today's run was happier than Tuesday's! I took 2 rest days, and I think I needed them. Today's run felt great! I took it slow and easy and just enjoyed the beautiful day.

Does anyone else on here use smashrun?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Running "plan" I made calls for 4 miles tomorrow...I ran 5 last Sat.....decisions decisions, stick with the 4, go with 5, or slow down a little and push it out to 6........Last Sat's Time was 47:23....... What to add to my monthly run total
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71, I just sent a request to join Strava with my other name (Samer) :) Thanks for starting that group too.

2/3 4.14
    2/4 4.26

8.40/60
    exercise.png
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ thanks for that. I've sent my request. Love ur avatar. Is it wolf or Siberian. I've got a Samoyed husky. He's my running mate.
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

2/3........5k....... With Man flu
    4/3........5k

Jan 45k
    Feb 61k
    Mar 10k

Goals for March:
    1. 13 runs @ 74km......2run at 10k
    2. 8km long run...........still 6k
    3. Be less slow............still slow

• gherring2014
    gherring2014 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This will be my first month to join the challenge. I've been lurking for a while and love this thread. I started running last year and completed 2 races. One 5k and one 8k. Then cold weather hit and I completely stopped running,like a loser. So I'd love a goal of 40 miles this month, ease my way back into my running. Great job everyone! And thanks for the laughs and motivation!! Oh, and I have a race coming up in April!!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 or anyone else who can answer a question about Strava...I don't understand the part that tells me my average pace then a little bit to the right it says GAP. Those numbers are not ever the same. What do they mean? I look at the graph but I still don't know what I'm seeing.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 or anyone else who can answer a question about Strava...I don't understand the part that tells me my average pace then a little bit to the right it says GAP. Those numbers are not ever the same. What do they mean? I look at the graph but I still don't know what I'm seeing.

GAP is grade adjusted pace. From their info

Grade Adjusted Pace estimates an equivalent pace when running on flat land, allowing the runner to compare hilly and flat runs more easily. Because running uphill requires extra effort, the Grade Adjusted Pace will be faster than the actual pace run. When running downhill, the Grade Adjusted Pace will be slower than the actual pace.

It's not your real pace. Rather pace times effort (downhill or uphill). Your real pace is just the pace.
  • pmoneto
    pmoneto Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Excited to join in! I'm new to the game but am walking an average of 5mi daily. My end goal is Rock N Roll 1/2 in Dec and have no friends who are willing to join in. So cyber running partners it is
  • GinaSpartan
    GinaSpartan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay so I managed to meet my Feb goals...but I've started March sick and haven't run yet. BUT...it is only March 4th...so I should be okay (I hope!!)

Looking towards the May 10km so...I need to up the ante: 7km X 3 times per week X 4 weeks = 84 km or 52 miles...so let's go with 55 miles...(and I have to get my new running shoes!!)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    This place is on fire!!!

I ran 8 miles last night with Kody. My knee was sore at the start, but by the end it felt great. Today it feels great. This thing is odd. I think it's getting worse, then I run and it feels better for about 36 hours, then feels bad until i run again. I guess it means I need to run every day.

I'll give that knee a great test tomorrow. Going for at least 12 miles.

Regarding Strava:

No, it will not take the place of these challenge threads! I love seeing the routes people run. I give them a thumbs up, look at pictures they may post, and occasionally I'll post a comment to their runs, but for me there's no real discussions going on there.

Too bad they don't call it a Progress Board rather than a Leader Board. "Leaderboard" implies we're competing with each other, which certainly isn't the case. But hey...if it motivates you to run more to move up the board, great!

Thanks to those of you who either use the same profile picture or include their MFP name in the username on Strava. It helps me figure out who's who.

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Left calf was still pretty off tonight, and after too much biking earlier today I was running out of gas. Getting lots of rest tonight, then doing a long run tomorrow.

3/1 - 3.5 miles
    3/2 - 10 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 3 miles

Total: 21.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 178.5 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Half Ironman - Florida 70.3 - Apr 10
    Marathon - Pittsburgh - May 1
    Half Ironman - Augusta 70.3 - Sep 25
    Marathon - Chicago - Oct 9 (if accepted)
    Ironman - Florida - Nov 5
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Strava folk: I have connected both Garmin and Strava to MFP, but that means my "stuff" is getting doubled. How do youse guys have it setup?