Which of these 2 Cereals should I eat? (Harder than I thought)

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    For the same quantity

Your apple jacks would have virtually the same calories, with 0.75g saturated fats, 210 mg sodium .
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I vote for the Kashi because the serving size is bigger. Nearly double the apple jacks. However if it tastes bad I'd eat 2 of the apple jacks. lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Eat the Apple Jacks because they have the iron you need.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    adinterim wrote: »
    Not the one that has "sugar" as it's first listed ingredient!
    as opposed to the one that has 'cane syrup' as its second? lol don't be fooled by fancy words.

But cane sugar is so much healthier ;)

It's frum naturre
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Eat the one you like. It doesn't help to force yourself to eat something you don't like.
  • NikishaRichelle
    NikishaRichelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You want to go with the food that's less processed and stripped of nutrients. Probably the one with less added sugar. The first ingredient on the apple jacks box is sugar. Mostly likely white refined sugar. The sugar on the Kashi is Cane syrup which is less processed and better for you. I'd go Kashi 100%. Calories are not the most important thing when your trying to lose weight. Not all calories are created equal, you should always eat nutrient dense foods. Try to stick with whole foods and eat lots of fruit and veg. Cereal is really garbage food, so if you are going to eat it I would do so in moderation. Maybe oatmeal ( the real kind ) or I like to cut up a banana heat up peanut butter pour it over the banana and sprinkle on granola and unsweetened dried fruit like blueberries. Its soooop good and easy.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The one that you like the most.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking purely calories, Apple Jacks actually has almost the exact same calories as the other one if you take serving size out as a variable, so if you eat 40 grams of apple jacks you're getting about 150 calories total.

It shouldn't be this hard, though. Try them both and ask yourself? Which one tastes better to you? That's the one you should have.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Personally I would eat the Kashi for the protein, but I hope you are adding more to the breakfast than just that cereal.
  • adinterim
    adinterim Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Proper explanation as to why Kashi is (in my eyes) the best choice.
    I haven't tasted either, so I can't say anything for the taste of it.

Things to note:
    - Kashi serving is 40g as opposed to 27g for the AJ. This is ~30% more.
    - Kashi has more fiber - 5g vs 3g or 22% vs 12% and less sugar - 6g vs 10g.
    - Kashi has more protein 5g vs 1g.

For me it's just that it has less sugar and it seems it will fill you up more.

Final argument: If you like the AJ better, have that.
  • delcatty
    delcatty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would go by ingredients and how you lose weight.

There's a ton of modified and sugary ingredients in the Apple Jacks. If that's your concern, go with the Kashi.
    If you tend to hold weight due to sugar, then I would also consider the Kashi.

Personally if I had to make the choice, I'd eat the Apple Jacks even though I know I should have Kashi. ;) I just love sugary cold cereal so much...
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    seeing as how I think Kashi tastes like cardboard, I, personally, would pick the Apple Jacks. LOL :tongue:
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    In terms of just bulk, the Kashi one gives you more. But if you prefer Apple Jacks and one serving will satisfy you, I vote Apple Jacks.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Lol at Apple Jacks and other sugary cereals claiming they are whole grains. Great marketing strategy!

I have had both - the Kashi tends to stick with you and keep you feeling full longer than the Apple Jacks. That said, I would eat either only as a snack, not as a breakfast. Both are low in protein and fat and I personally feel better eating a combination of protein/fat/carbs for breakfast.

Also, some people would not care for the BHT and colorings in the Apple Jacks.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    delcatty wrote: »
    I would go by ingredients and how you lose weight.

There's a ton of modified and sugary ingredients in the Apple Jacks. If that's your concern, go with the Kashi.
    If you tend to hold weight due to sugar, then I would also consider the Kashi.

Personally if I had to make the choice, I'd eat the Apple Jacks even though I know I should have Kashi. ;) I just love sugary cold cereal so much...

Eh?
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    g2c4ms0138bp.jpg
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Apple Jacks sound awful and as though they are made for children. Are you a child?

There is nothing wrong with enjoying 'kid' cereals. I still eat Lucky Charms when I can, though I prefer the generic ones because the 'marshmellows' are better. There's no rule saying when you hit a certian age number you have to give up all things you enjoyed when you were younger. If you stick with a single serving of a kid cereal and it fits in your daily goal, why not?
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The serving sizes are not the same though. Apple Jack 27g vs Kashi 40g so already on the calorie side it's 148 cals vs 150.

I would go with Kashi for the lower sugar content and also because with higher fat, proteins and fiber I think you'd be full longer. In reality though I can't bring myself anymore to use up my calorie allowance in sugar cereals
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Well I would vote Kashi because you are getting 40 grams vs. 27 grams and Kashi has 5 grams of protein vs. 1 gram in the Apple Jacks and I prioritize protein. The Kashi has more fiber too.

This. You will be more full with the Kashi
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    In terms of just bulk, the Kashi one gives you more. But if you prefer Apple Jacks and one serving will satisfy you, I vote Apple Jacks.

I haven't personally tried either cereal, but does 40 grams of kashi feel more substantial than 40 grams of apple jacks (about 1.5 servings)?