Wondering how everyone else feels about getting asked out at the gym?

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I only work out in my apartment gym, but I live in a large complex, so theres quite a lot of guys who work out there. I think three guys have asked for my number, and its always really awkward. I'm married, but dont wear my ring when I go lift for obvious reasons. Idk, I take it as a compliment, but I dont like when it happens
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    edited March 2016
    Depends how it's done. At last gym had one guy who I played tennis with ask if I wanted drink a couple of times, no problem as I knew him. However his Dad asked me out couple of days later which was just weird.
    Not as bad as the guy who dropped plate under bench I was using at present gym, reached under and grabbed my thigh to help himself up, then asked if I minded him watching me! That seriously gave me creeps. Never seen him before and hopefully won't again.
    Generally would appreciate a hi a few times walking in and out of the gym or casual conversation before someone asks anything else.

• KeepingUpWithKari
    KeepingUpWithKari Posts: 287 Member
    Better then being laughed at.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Once you hit 54 all that stuff stops being an issue :-) I know that from personal experience :-)
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    It's never happened to me but I think I'd find it quite awkward. And I get what you mean about it being intimidating going out with a total stranger.

Also,
    Bundyman wrote: »
    Complaining about getting positive attention is like complaining about too much cheese on your pizza. That's crazy!
    This I totally don't agree with.

• Dumpty393
    Dumpty393 Posts: 127 Member
    Idk...I honestly never asked a girl out at the gym.
  • Dumpty393
    Dumpty393 Posts: 127 Member
    And I'm there almost every single day lol
  • 25brittany25
    25brittany25 Posts: 27 Member
    Hmmm I never get asked out :/ boo now I'm sad. I get free drinks from bars .. but. I never have a regular hard working guy ask me out .. I think I have resting *kitten* face or something . Lol.. crazy because I actually admire when a guy has guts to come up to me ..! But. They never doooo.. take it as a compliment girl . It's silly when females complain about being attractive. Always stay positive ;)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Hmmm I never get asked out :/ boo now I'm sad. I get free drinks from bars .. but. I never have a regular hard working guy ask me out .. I think I have resting *kitten* face or something . Lol.. crazy because I actually admire when a guy has guts to come up to me ..! But. They never doooo.. take it as a compliment girl . It's silly when females complain about being attractive. Always stay positive ;)

Haha, you're gorgeous. I don't get free drinks from bars very often. So maybe we attract different types.
    I admire the guts and am never a jerk when asked out, I just was wondering if the norm was to ask out of the blue. I always thought you should build rapport first or maybe I just posted to encourage guys to try and subtly build rapport or familiarity before just going for it? lol
  • 25brittany25
    25brittany25 Posts: 27 Member
    aub6689 wrote: »

Haha, you're gorgeous. I don't get free drinks from bars very often. So maybe we attract different types.
    I admire the guts and am never a jerk when asked out, I just was wondering if the norm was to ask out of the blue. I always thought you should build rapport first or maybe I just posted to encourage guys to try and subtly build rapport or familiarity before just going for it? lol

Probably they just jump into it because they don't want to distract you but they REALLY would like to go out with you so they ask so you don't get disturbed . A males mind is different than a females. They are probably trying to be considerate. Hey its actually a REALLY nice compliment if a guy approaches you sweaty, red faced in a gym LMFAO .
  • Sirius66TheBeat
    Sirius66TheBeat Posts: 72 Member
    we get it, you're sooooo ridiculously good looking that guys just can't help but ask you out!!!

i bet they're all ugly, that's why you're complaining. if they were hot you'd love it.

lol. She could stop using makeup and keep her hair all messy and wear baggy clothes. Oh the turmoil of being so attractive. Just can't go anywhere.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    katiebean wrote: »
    It's never happened to me but I think I'd find it quite awkward. And I get what you mean about it being intimidating going out with a total stranger.

Thanks! I'm glad someone agrees. I am also already really awkward. Some guy asked me out for a drink and I replied, "like a protein shake?" he wasn't amused...

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    My past history with men would make me think anyone who asked me out at the gym was a threat. I think of the gym as a safe space that I go to in order to be healthy.

I have also been trained to deal with threats. Shifting into fighting position with a keeyap usually makes them leave me alone. I've only had to do this twice.

I am also a proponent of not ****ing where you eat. Being asked out at a gym (or when I'm volunteering, or at work) makes that place awkward for me forever after. If it's someplace I go every day, it's really inconvenient.

Everyone's different. I don't think it's fair to poke fun at the discomfort of the OP. Some gym guys really are quite creepy.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    I'll let you know when it inevitably happens.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    maybe you could do things to make yourself less approachable, like licking the bench before you sit down, or using your water bottle like a neti pot over the water fountain.
    Oh! You could also just say "meow meow meow" anytime anybody talks to you. Maybe even mutter "meow meow meow' under your breath, as a deterrent to any that may be watching and thinking of approaching you.

Holy hell. That made me spit water. For real, that imagery just made my day. Thank you.

• hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    I would find it creepy to get asked out if I hadn't had some kind of actual conversation with the person previously. What's he basing it on, how I look in yoga pants?
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    I'll let you know when it inevitably happens.

What he said. B)
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    I think in a gym environment because you're all doing roughly the same thing (of course people have different goals etc) people think that they automatically have something in common with other people there, plus " do you need a spot on that" or " wow you're pretty strong" is a way of using what you have in common as an opener.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    aub6689 wrote: »
    I've never understood why people ask me out at the gym. Now as much as I'd love to find my swolemate and all.... I don't understand why guys don't try to get to know you or create some sort of friendship or familiarity before diving straight into ask for a date or number.
    Am I the only girl who thinks this?
    Guys, do girls ask you out at the gym too?

What are your feelings about being asked out on the MFP forums!? I mean we could get dinner or a drink sometime?
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    I'm stil waiting....