100+ lbs to lose support group

Options

Replies

• KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Friends!!! I hope you're all having a great day.

Rose - I am diabetic and I eat fruit like nobody's business. It's definitely a good thing to have on hand. There are certain ones that are better than others, in terms of sugar. I actually just read an article last night on low carb fruits (http://www.dlife.com/dlife_media/diabetes_slideshows/lowest-carb-fruits?utm_source=Foodstuff-20110621&utm_medium=eNewsletter&utm_content=Foodstuff-newsletter&utm_campaign=dLife-eNewsletter).

Kris - WTG on the A1C!!! That's awesome!!! The last time I had mine checked (when this whole journey began and was he impetus for my weightloss), it was at 12.2. I know...That is just ridiculous. Since then, two of the oral meds that I take have been cut in half. And I'm actually hoping that the doc will take me off of one soon, as I'm getting serious lows about an hour or two after taking them in the morning.

So, I'm home from work this morning. Woke up this morning and one of my eyes is totally swollen. Not so bad that i can't see out of it, but bad enough that I want to try and get in to see the doctor before it gets worse. It started bothering me on Sunday night, but just hoped it would get better with some sleep. Unfortunately, every day it's gotten a little worse, getting a little more puffy each day. Then I wake up this morning and it's noticeably swollen. Kinda nice to have a relaxing morning at home. Had a yummy breakfast, watched some episodes of MasterChef and now I'm catching up on MFP. Good times!
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    Oh!!!! And a big welcome to Arh & Zanne!!! Welcome to the group! Everyone here has been so kind and supportive. It's nice to get to know people in similar situations!
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Today's my day off from working out. The whole thing is so bizarre to me. Every day that I work out, I spend most of the day trying to come up with an excuse as to why I can't do it that night. And (just about) every day, I suck it up and end up doing the workout. I hate every minute of it. But once it's done, I'm so thrilled with myself for having done it. And then there's days like today where it's my off day. And I spend the whole evening thinking 'I should work out right now. It's early. I have plenty of time. Maybe I'll just go for a walk.' But there's a reason why I give myself a day off. It's the reward for busting my *kitten* the whole rest of the week.

lol Just a random thought...

I have a question for you wonderful ladies! Over the next week, I have two events that i'm going to - a family BBQ & a Bunco night with friends - where I've volunteered to make appetizers. I have some ideas for what I might want to make, but I'm always open to suggestions. I want to bring at least two options to each event. Anyone have any ideas????

I feel EXACTLY the same way about exercise. EXACTLY. I really WANT to love it -- I just haven't gotten there yet. I think it's definitely possible.

As for your snack ideas: I have had hummus on my mind for a few days now. Bring pita chips and baby carrots to scoop it up with. yum.
  • sbrown6
    Options
    I am a puffy bloated wreck this week! I don't know what the heck is going on. I have been eating well and watching my sodium closely and can't seen to shake it. Drinking TONS of water too. I am a good 2 weeks away from my normal time for bloating so I don't know what the heck is going on. Its awful!!!!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Jen - A couple of healthy appetizers for a party?
    1. Fresh Berries / Fruit on a platter (blackberries, blueberries, big strawberries, pineapple) Dress it up wiht the top of the pineapple that you cut off. everyone will be impressed and it's super healthy. Provide little picks for serving.
    2. Veggie platter with humus - The Sabra Extremely Spicy hummus is awesome!

Rose - Making healthy choices in a sea of bad foods can be challenging. You need to take a real inventory of what is available in that kitchen. You might be surprised. I'm sure they serve vegetables and protein each night? Fruit is very good for you. Log it in and just track the sugar / carbs. You'll figure out which ones are best to grab. Shop for yourself also - you should alway have nuts available as a filling snack (walnuts are the best, raw unsalted almonds are also great). 8-10 of them with a glass of water and you will feel full. Don't just eat whatever they are serving. Make it known in the kitchen that you are on a journey to get healthy - you will probably find a few new friends to join you! Good luck!!

Sitting here eating my blueberries/blackberries. Yummy snack. It's a beautiful day and I'm planning a power walk at lunchtime.

Keep up the great work - we are sooo worth it!!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Feel free to count me in ... I'm looking at over 100lbs that I need to drop.
  • aprildpettitt
    Options
    Hey there. Oh boy. This is exactly what I need. I'm 37 and I packed on the weight after my son was born. Up until then I was fit. Not skinny. The last time I was skinny was when I was 3 months old. Anyway, my kid just turned 12 so I figured that it was time to take off the baby fat. I'm a homeschooling mom, married to a teacher. I've learned how to cook really low fat and low sodium, so now I just need to get off my butt and get exercising.

Another homeschooling mom here, with a boy just turned 13! Welcome!

Kris

Hey y'all! I'm an emotional eater who is going to start homeschool with my youngest boy (8) in the fall :) I felt a connection....and the more posts I read, dang! We have lots in common :)
  • aprildpettitt
    Options
    I am a puffy bloated wreck this week! I don't know what the heck is going on. I have been eating well and watching my sodium closely and can't seen to shake it. Drinking TONS of water too. I am a good 2 weeks away from my normal time for bloating so I don't know what the heck is going on. Its awful!!!!

Have you ever tried Kefir? (they call it the "champagne of dairy") Anyway, I've been retaining water, especially in my legs/ankles, but when I drink a cup of this a day....oooooooo, my ankles are so slim and purty :) Seriously, it is one of those you either love it or hate it things, BUT, if you hate it, it is really easy to make a smoothie with some berries, agave nectar. You can even buy it flavored, I LOVE the pomegranate, so naturally Food Lion quit carrying it :rolleyes: Kefir supposedly has lots of benefits, is probiotic. I like it.
  • sbrown6
    Options
    Have you ever tried Kefir? (they call it the "champagne of dairy") Anyway, I've been retaining water, especially in my legs/ankles, but when I drink a cup of this a day....oooooooo, my ankles are so slim and purty :) Seriously, it is one of those you either love it or hate it things, BUT, if you hate it, it is really easy to make a smoothie with some berries, agave nectar. You can even buy it flavored, I LOVE the pomegranate, so naturally Food Lion quit carrying it :rolleyes: Kefir supposedly has lots of benefits, is probiotic. I like it.

No, I have not tried it but I will definitely give it a shot. I'll try just about anything right now! Thanks for the tip. I want purty ankle too! LOL.
  • cmarshel
    cmarshel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Count me in and feel free to add me. I'm in this for the long haul and am here to give as well as receive support. :-)
  • mrswiley07
    mrswiley07 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm in also...and feel free to add me as well.
  • mom111997
    mom111997 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    IN !!!
  • bkennedy1612
    Options
    is it too late to join this group?

22 years old, and 100 pounds to lose.....

need as much motivation as i can get
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    welcome to all the newbies! Great to have you here!

Last night I was at the park with my son while my hubby was playing his softball game, which was taking place at the other end of said park. We walked from that end of the park to where the play structures are (a five minute walk) and then I sat on a bench and ate some grapes and then I got up and told him "I'll race you to that truck (part of the play structure, which is in sand) so we ran back and forth between the bench and the truck about 15 times for about 15 minutes. Then he wanted to go on the big twisty slide they have, so we ran out of our way on the side walks racing to get to the slide, and then I raced him back to the other structures and then pushed him on the swings and then got on the swings myself. It was a great workout!

Kris- Great job with bringing your A1C down! When my husband first got diagnosed in September his was at 18 and by January he had gotten it down to 7.5. He is on Metformin and Glipizide. He takes 2000 mg of Metformin a day and 2 glipizides a day, but that is only because the doctor wanted to get him below another point and then he could change him to something else. At the time we had medicaid and they are very picky about what they will pay for, so now that we have no insurance as long as the drug has a generic he can put him on anything. Now he is playing soft ball and so he is even more active and so he has been losing weight like the doctor wants him to. His father has insulin dependent type 2 diabetes and does not control it at all. He'll have a huge slice of birthday cake with lots of frosting and say "I'll just take more insulin later" and then tries giving my husband advice about his diabetes. Doctor says as long as he stays active and controls his diet he will be fine.
  • KnottyJen
    Options

No, I have not tried it but I will definitely give it a shot. I'll try just about anything right now! Thanks for the tip. I want purty ankle too! LOL.

Yeah, I want purty ankles, too!! Where do you find this Kefir?? Like what section of the grocery store?
  • suzyq584
    suzyq584 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Suzy! I have kicked it around, but we're (cross your fingers) on the verge of moving cross-country, and I don't want to change doctors now just to have to do it again in a few months. So I'm holding out. If this move falls through, then I'm going to go doctor shopping!

Kris

Consider my fingers crossed! :happy:
  • hewitt366
    hewitt366 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I would like to join this group!!! I'm a 27 yr old mother of a 1 yr old girl who wants to lose over a 100 lbs. Add me as a friend if you want!!!
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    Oh my Gosh!!! All the new people!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: Welcome to you all!!!! We have such a nice group of people here. Feel free to introduce yourselves and let us know all about you! :-) Also, feel free to friend me. I love having new friends that are going through the same journey that I am!
  • tinddon
    tinddon Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi. I would like to join too. I am struggling, & need to lose as I am starting to have health problems. I have 122 lbs to lose. :frown:
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    woohoo!! after a gain last week which i refused to log, I lost 8.1lbs this week. My status shows 4.7 because of my refusal to log a gain. Super excited as this puts me 6lbs away from 100lbs. I still have a long way to go but I'm so excited!!