Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    PMSL @ "nut juice"!!! Excellent!!!

FWIW I like the taste of milk and have no physical problems with tolerating / metabolising dairy. I have some in my porridge (oatmeal?), some in coffee and a glass of 250ml in the evening (just one of my little habits). We usually buy semi-skimmed, but I like full-fat/wholemilk too, but never totally skimmed.

We buy 4 pint bottles for £1.00 (Waitrose Essential Semi-Skimmed), which works out at 44p per litre.
    It's 49 calories for 100ml, which easily fits into my day.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    rsenor wrote: »
    I don't do milk because I'm lactose intolerant, but honestly also because I have just begun to find that drinking another species breast milk is rather gross. Something hit me at one point...would I drink human breast milk or eat human-breast milk made cheese? No...

I should clarify I am not vegan - I still eat meat- but milk just icks me out. It potentially has pus. Eeew.

It's not pus, for crying out loud. Woo

Its not ALL pus, but the FDA actually allows a certain percentage of pus and blood, so yea that's just too gross for me
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    OMFG - please stop - tears are rolling down my face as I am laughing out loud!!!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    *sighs* LOL
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Milk contains more sugar than I want to drink. I like fermented dairy products like yogurt and cheese though. I make my own yogurt with a longer fermentation and, therefore, little or no lactose.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I don't do milk because I'm lactose intolerant, but honestly also because I have just begun to find that drinking another species breast milk is rather gross. Something hit me at one point...would I drink human breast milk or eat human-breast milk made cheese? No...

I should clarify I am not vegan - I still eat meat- but milk just icks me out. It potentially has pus. Eeew.

Its not ALL pus, but the FDA actually allows a certain percentage of pus and blood, so yea that's just too gross for me

The FDA also allows certain levels of insect material and rat feces in packaged foods, too.
    Think about THAT every, single time you put something you bought at the store in your mouth, regardless of how processed it is. Every time. It'll drive you nuts. So don't think about it and just eat it, because the amounts that are allowed are so small, they have zero chance of harming you. That goes for whatever pus you think is in your milk, too.

• Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Nut juice? Its just blended nuts and filtered water. Mmm because the lactations of a large bovine mammal who just had a baby sounds so yummy. As does the hormones, pus, cholesterol and a good ol' dose of slaughtered baby cow!
  • Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    chesty1 wrote: »
    Milk produced in any dairy has pus in it - google it! (pus is masked under the lingo 'somatic cells')

PETA propaganda........

Propaganda - for what cause? What do we get from actively excluding most commonly available foods from our diet? How does that personally benefit us? We only do it because morally and ethically, we can't ignore what is going on. Its not about us - its the animals and the planet.
  • Myshell0819
    Myshell0819 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk because I've seen how they treat dairy cows and it just sickens me...I don't like how it makes my body feel....I use to drink it and never noticed what it did till I stopped it....Todays milk has things that I don't like in milk such as antibiotics, Gmo crap and I don't eat beef either for the same reasons...I also don't eat pork for religious and health reasons...I know what pigs carry and transport into our bodies....i'm ok with the change and I feel much better...if you chose not to then you do you....i'm just happy to be feeling better and dropping all this weight, slowly but it's working...it took years to put on and I know it's gonna take a little while to get off, but i'm doing it and feel great, that's all that counts...peace
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Well, here is just a few other things the FDA allows in some vegan foods: various insects and maggots (whole, larvae , eggs and fragments), insect poop, mold, mildew, insect filth, mammalian excreta, rodent hairs, rodent excreta, rot, worms, sand and grit.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Well, here is just a few other things the FDA allows in some vegan foods: various insects and maggots (whole, larvae , eggs and fragments), insect poop, mold, mildew, insect filth, mammalian excreta, rodent hairs, rodent excreta, rot, worms, sand and grit.

That's it, I'm going breatharian! LOL
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    No idea. I have skim-milk pretty regularly (usually in oatmeal). I've read a lot of discussions about how it's not good for us, how we're essentially drinking another species' breast milk, blahblahblah, but I pretty much ignore such things. I eat/drink what I like (within reason). And I like milk in my oatmeal. (And hot chocolate/chocolate milk! Can't forget that!)
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Puss is gross, don't you know and cow's milk is full of it.
    yannie100 wrote: »
    Other than that, it's totally gross and not meant for human consumption.
    I always thought milk was nasty no matter the flavor

Yep this basically

I do drink almond / coconut milk with my cereal in the morning

so no cheese or ice cream? sad

Oh I do have cheese. I was eating goat cheese in my salad as I answered this post. :)

But goat's milk is free from pus. Good to know.

I don't drink the milk. I eat the cheese, which tends to have further pasteurization which destroys a lot of the bacteria. Any rate, goat cheese is easier on my stomach and that's what I go by.

Pus isn't bacteria. "Pus" is just a name for dead white blood cells. Pasteurization certainly isn't bringing them back to life.

For that matter, basically every animal product contains some quantity of dead white blood cells, because all animal tissue has some kind of blood supply.

All milk of all species contains it, too, since mammary ducts are a potential entry point for bacteria and thus the body is required to be able to mount an immune response against invasion.

Dead white blood cells in your food ... no, sorry, doesn't sound any more appetising than pus to me.

Also, there's a reason why they carry out 'pus counts' (somatic cell counts) .... farmers are penalised for high counts and rewarded for low ones, and if the count is too high then the milk is deemed unfit for human consumption.

Is it really any less appetizing-sounding or a more ridiculous statement than 'dead plant embryos in your food' if I were anti-nut/seed?

I suppose for maximum shock value I should rephrase to 'dead plant fetuses' or some such. And I'm sure someone can find a gif to suit.

Yes, 'dead white blood cells' does sound less appetising to me ... which is why I wrote 'to me' at the end of the sentence.

But I'm sure it also sounds less appetising to many others too, whether veg/vegan or not.

I'm not interested in 'shock value' tactics either, your words not mine. Call things what you want, just don't attempt to attach your own stupid comment (dead plant foetuses) to me.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk because I've seen how they treat dairy cows and it just sickens me...I don't like how it makes my body feel....I use to drink it and never noticed what it did till I stopped it....Todays milk has things that I don't like in milk such as antibiotics, Gmo crap and I don't eat beef either for the same reasons...I also don't eat pork for religious and health reasons...I know what pigs carry and transport into our bodies....i'm ok with the change and I feel much better...if you chose not to then you do you....i'm just happy to be feeling better and dropping all this weight, slowly but it's working...it took years to put on and I know it's gonna take a little while to get off, but i'm doing it and feel great, that's all that counts...peace

Did you actually *see* dairy cows? Or did you see a misleading propaganda piece?

Because I grew up around dairy cows. Dairy cows have to be the most pampered farm animals ever, perhaps second only to a lightly worked farm dog.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Puss is gross, don't you know and cow's milk is full of it.
    yannie100 wrote: »
    Other than that, it's totally gross and not meant for human consumption.
    I always thought milk was nasty no matter the flavor

Yep this basically

I do drink almond / coconut milk with my cereal in the morning

so no cheese or ice cream? sad

Oh I do have cheese. I was eating goat cheese in my salad as I answered this post. :)

But goat's milk is free from pus. Good to know.

Or maybe the pus in goat cheese isn't gross. Much more tasty pus and good to eat. Mmmmmmm, who doesn't love the taste of goat pus?

Clearly. If it were gross, it would have two s's just like gross. Cow's milk has puss, goat's milk has pus.

So what you're saying is that, as an African American male, I should give goat's milk and it's pus a try, since we all know I don't eat puss?

This made my day!

I don't drink milk by the glass, I just rarely get the urge and I'm also someone who prefers to eat my calories while cutting.

I do have semi-skim (because it's what I grew up with, full fat is too creamy for me) in my coffee and porridge. I have to have soy or another subsitute if I'm having a giant latte treat though because the huge volume of milk with coffee really really disagrees with my stomach.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What the hell happened to this thread?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    OMFG - please stop - tears are rolling down my face as I am laughing out loud!!!

+1
    9 pages of talking about puss and poop in my food and I'm beginning to wonder if Freelee is really onto something. The MFP derp today is making me delusional.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Derp, woo and propaganda. That's what happened.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Same thing that happens to most milk threads.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I had no idea milk was a hot topic! I agree with the others saying the dairy cows have to be treated nice or they won't have milk. Not by PETA's standards though.

About the pus... am I wrong to assume the pus (if this is true) would be cleaned out via the pasteurization process?