Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Ajocal18 wrote: »
    lol. Now it's "poison". This stuff never ends.

I do not think dairy is poison in general , I have been told by my primary care physician my body is unable to process dairy and negatively impacts my health so yes to myself and other intolerant people its akin to poison.

Whatever. It's just so ridiculously dramatic. You have lactose intolerance and PCOS. Okay. Sucks for you and I'm sorry for that. Still doesn't make milk or gluten "poison" unless you are just trying to be overly dramatic. It's silly.

It's MFP so either one extreme or the other. Either milk is poison or it's nectar of the gods.

And it's either eating no meat at all or eating nothing but meat. There is no other position.

Choose wisely. One side has ice cream...

...and steak.

If one side is no meat and the other meat-only, neither side have both ice cream (not meat) and steak (meat).

Different binaries for different topics. These were just two popular ones.

Another is IIFYM means eating nothing but junk food all the time, no thanks, I actually care about the quality of my food.
  • HeatSeeker61
    HeatSeeker61 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Milk is full of pus.....look it up.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

I do not think dairy is poison in general , I have been told by my primary care physician my body is unable to process dairy and negatively impacts my health so yes to myself and other intolerant people its akin to poison.

Whatever. It's just so ridiculously dramatic. You have lactose intolerance and PCOS. Okay. Sucks for you and I'm sorry for that. Still doesn't make milk or gluten "poison" unless you are just trying to be overly dramatic. It's silly.

It's MFP so either one extreme or the other. Either milk is poison or it's nectar of the gods.

And it's either eating no meat at all or eating nothing but meat. There is no other position.

...and steak.

If one side is no meat and the other meat-only, neither side have both ice cream (not meat) and steak (meat).

Ice cream is meat juice frozen.

::noway::

You extract if from meat while it is still alive, then freeze it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    We're at the point where people aren't even reading page 1 anymore. Good run guys, let's hit the showers.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Lol
  • senecarr
    Options

...and steak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46iPFTCZ9LA

Whacky, I was not even referencing that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

You know how I know you didn't read the thread?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Aside from eliminating milk due to a diet, calories, sugar, etc. The very first thing I would ask is why are so many people intolerant to dairy products? That has to say something about the types of products people are consuming.

For me, if a product is making so many people sick, I sure don't want to include it in my nutrition plan. Here is some interesting information, from a vegan perspective on dairy products in general:

Note: This is in no way intended to push any agenda or make it seem like one plan is better/worse than another. It's just some interesting information.

There is a common misperception that the only way to get adequate calcium in your diet is to drink milk and eat dairy products. This may be what the dairy industry wants us to believe, but it is well established that plant-based foods are not only adequate sources of dietary calcium but are superior sources compared to animal sources, specifically dairy. The regular consumption of dairy and meat products together results in urinary losses of calcium, as calcium is released from the bones to neutralize the acid load in the bloodstream caused by eating animal protein. This likely creates a negative balance of calcium intake and loss. As we know, prolonged negative calcium balances could result in the development of osteoporosis for which a person would be given meds and probably told to consume more dairy which would perpetuate the problem and so on and so forth. Congress, pharmaceuticals and lobbyists at their finest. But meanwhile, if meats, dairy and fish are eliminated from the diet in place of plant-based foods, the body's need to neutralize acid in the blood stream disappears hence the body's need for overall calcium intake could be reduced.

Technically, being lactose intolerant is the default state. Mammals are born with the ability to digest lactose in order to be able to breastfeed and lose it as they get older.
    So, the correct question would be, why are there so many people who are not lactose intolerant?
    We evolved ourselves towards it. When we started domesticating cows we started drinking their milk too because for once we didn't have to hunt and kill animals to get close to them. Some people got sick of it, others didn't or to a lesser extent. The ones who got sick were more likely to die and the rest is biology.
    If you look at a map of lactose intolerance, it's most prevalent in the places where domestication of cows didn't happen and much lower in the places where it did. Mostly Europe and places mostly inhabited by people of European descent.

800px-Worldwide_prevalence_of_lactose_intolerance_in_recent_populations.jpg

@stevencloser thanks for sharing the graphic.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

Lol

This is the song that never ends . . . .
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

...and steak.

Hmm, not sure if being extracted from an animal is the same as being extracted from meat, but let's just say it is for now. And not sure being extracted from meat means that it is meat or meat juice, but let's just say it is for now.

It's still not "meat-only", right? If it's only the meat juice, it would be milk.
  • senecarr
    Options

...and steak.

Hmm, not sure if being extracted from an animal is the same as being extracted from meat, but let's just say it is for now. And not sure being extracted from meat means that it is meat or meat juice, but let's just say it is for now.

It's still not "meat-only", right? If it's only the meat juice, it would be milk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They're_Made_Out_of_Meat
  • stevencloser
    Options

...and steak.

Would juice not be allowed in a "fruit only" diet?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

...and steak.

But would they have said the same had they found us made of meat juice?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

...and steak.

I doubt a fruitarian would be cool with meat juice.
  • stevencloser
    Options

...and steak.

I mean fruit juice. Since you separated the "meat juice" from the "meat only" diet.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

...and steak.

I've been thinking of this radio play for the last 3 pages. I'm glad someone brought it up.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ok i have read all 15 pages. Some posts were funny as hell, some were annoying. IMO I drink milk. I love it and always have. I can drink a gallon a day if I could and not gain weight. Hell, I could pretty much drink milk and consume nothing else and be happy but that would be ridiculous and probably weird. lol. So for dieting purposes I like to cut it out most day, that days I know if I have one glass it will lead into 10, and drink 1 or 2 glasses on days I have more self control.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    skim milk tastes like sadness.

ROFL! I only drink skim. I have been told that I am drinking flavoured water, but I'm okay with that. ;-) I am not a fan of milk in general, so maybe that's why skim is more appealing to me - it has less milk taste. Ha ha. It also makes a mean cappuccino foam. And since I prefer to eat my calories - not drink them - it works well for me. But to each his/her own. Skim milk tastes like sadness to you, but to me, it is my morning joy.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    eileen0515 wrote: »
    I drink a small amount of fat free milk in my fiber one cereal. I grew up on fat free, so that tastes right. While on a deficit I make a point of not drinking calories, it's what works for me.

Same here. I grew up on skim, higher fat tastes gross to me (too thick!), and I prefer to eat my calories. My milk in my cappuccino is a joyful morning ritual. It is a small part of my day, but a BIG part of my morning.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

...and steak.

I mean fruit juice. Since you separated the "meat juice" from the "meat only" diet.

Actually, I excluded ice cream from the meat only diet.

I don't personally know any fruitarians, but I would guess they could include fruit juice.