Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I can't stand fat-free milk. I only drink 1 or 2%.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Just read all of this thread, thanks for the intertainment. Lots of lulz here.
    I don't drink milk very often, mostly because I choose not to drink my calories. I do love and eat ice cream and cheeses, sour cream and the like.
    Too much dairy for me causes gut issues and we have lovingly coined the term "moopoos" in our house to describe those days where you just needed the largest of large MILKSHAKE.
    You may also find yourself sleeping on the couch on those nights :s
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Ajocal18 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    lol. Now it's "poison". This stuff never ends.

I do not think dairy is poison in general , I have been told by my primary care physician my body is unable to process dairy and negatively impacts my health so yes to myself and other intolerant people its akin to poison.

Whatever. It's just so ridiculously dramatic. You have lactose intolerance and PCOS. Okay. Sucks for you and I'm sorry for that. Still doesn't make milk or gluten "poison" unless you are just trying to be overly dramatic. It's silly.

It's MFP so either one extreme or the other. Either milk is poison or it's nectar of the gods.

And it's either eating no meat at all or eating nothing but meat. There is no other position.

Choose wisely. One side has ice cream...

...and steak.

If one side is no meat and the other meat-only, neither side have both ice cream (not meat) and steak (meat).

OOooo! Me! Me! I'm the ovo-lacto-vegetarian great excluded middle in this binary: I'll take one for the team (both teams?) and eat aalllllll the ice cream!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    It's pretty simple. Milk is what baby cows live off of. They grow huge, both in muscle in fat. So to do the same, drink milk. Most don't want to get huge from fat, so drink skim milk instead, and you'll get just the huge muscle result.
    Simple, isn't it? There, no need for a page 15.

Yeah that's not how it works.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk or cashew milk is much lower in calories and carbs than even skim milk, and it's actually higher in calcium. But even then, I have to be careful not to binge on it, because it tastes sooo good, and it's a liquid, and it's refreshing, and I'm always thirsty. Liquid calories just go down way too fast and easy. I keep it around only because I'm afraid of not getting enough calcium, but it's a struggle. If I had actual milk here, forget about it. I'd never be able to lose weight. In terms of protein, milk doesn't do much to satisfy my appetite. Generally speaking, I stay away from liquid calories, since they seem to bypass the stomach and go straight to the hips. Dairy is just a ton of extra calories I don't need. For protein, there's meat, which will do a much better job of satisfying my hunger with a reasonable amount of calories, and I won't keep eating it the way that I'll keep drinking a liquid.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Almond milk is only high in calcium because it's supplemented. Which is fine, of course, but if that's why you are drinking it a plain supplement might be even lower in calories.

If because you like it, that's different.

I keep meaning to make cashew milk (for example: http://cookieandkate.com/2013/cashew-milk-recipe/), but because it actually contains cashews I assume this kind of thing would be a lot higher cal than the storebought almond milk or strained version of that you make at home. So curious as I am it runs against my general aversion to drinking calories.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I just don't like milk, but if I did I'd drink it. I switched over to vanilla almond milk for cereal which tastes better (to me) and is only 30 calories/8oz...no protein though.
  • meonlybetterDUH
    meonlybetterDUH Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I only drink skim milk and not very often due to the sugar content. I can't taste the difference between skim or 1% but hubby will argue there's a huge difference. I'm just happy I don't notice it!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    It's pretty simple. Milk is what baby cows live off of. They grow huge, both in muscle in fat. So to do the same, drink milk. Most don't want to get huge from fat, so drink skim milk instead, and you'll get just the huge muscle result.
    Simple, isn't it? There, no need for a page 15.

Yeah that's not how it works.

I'm glad someone challenged the joke. I got away with one like that in the why we're getting bigger thread.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Almond milk is only high in calcium because it's supplemented. Which is fine, of course, but if that's why you are drinking it a plain supplement might be even lower in calories.

If because you like it, that's different.

I keep meaning to make cashew milk (for example: http://cookieandkate.com/2013/cashew-milk-recipe/), but because it actually contains cashews I assume this kind of thing would be a lot higher cal than the storebought almond milk or strained version of that you make at home. So curious as I am it runs against my general aversion to drinking calories.

They don't universally fortify with Vitamin D which is a minus. More of them are though, and I'd hope it becomes universal.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Sugar in milk. 55khwntsva4h.jpeg
    I just want to flip that one chocolate carton the right way...gah!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Sigh.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I need this in my life.

Only if the Peeps in the milk are Free-Range Peeps, of course.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Wowser. Wonder what the calorie content of that is!? And is this in Walmart because I, um, might be in the States in May and, you know, research.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Egg nog peeps is disturbing -- too much cognitive dissonance. What next, lions and lambs lying down together? Farmers and cowmen being friends?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I need this in my life.

Only if the Peeps in the milk are Free-Range Peeps, of course.

NOT FAIR!!! WE NEVER GET COOL SH#T LIKE THIS AT OUR GROCERY STORE!!!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Humans the only adult animal on the planet that drinks milk...that should tell you something...

Wow, that has to be the most ridiculous answer on this thread yet.

"Humans are the only adult animal on the planet that "insert just about anything humans do here". If we didn't do the things humans do, we wouldn't be here, chatting on this fabulous bit of technology. Which is, by the way, yet another thing that only humans do.

Not true

9mczs3mgoryy.jpeg

Yeah, but can it read sheet music? ;)

Pretty sure there are plenty of musicians that can't read sheet music.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I DRANK 500ML OF MILK WITH MY BREAKFAST!!!!!

AM I NOW YOUR GOD?!?!??
    10140884 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It depends on your personal goal,if your goal is solely to loose weight then consuming milk may not be a good idea as it is calorie dense but personally I consume 250ml of milk with my protein powder in the evening but to cut out any percific food group would be a bad idea ,I suggest to have it in moderation and keep within you calorie and macro goals.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I DRANK 500ML OF MILK WITH MY BREAKFAST!!!!!

AM I NOW YOUR GOD?!?!??

ONLY IF IT WAS PEEPS MILK 11!!!1