WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Just finished walking on the treadmill. Still alternating days between strength training and cardio. Yesterday I went and bought heavier weights before my workout. I could not up the weight on every thing but did up it on several. Jack thinks its great. It pleases me that he is so pleased :).

Thank you all for the kind words about my granddaughter. I told her I'd take her shopping before she goes to get a nice "professional" outfit for when she wins top price. Positive thinking!! Also will give her some spending money to have while in Boston.

Janetr OKC

I think your granddaughter will have a great time in Boston, it has a lot of things to offer for the young folk and you can't beat it for the historic value. In fact, my date on Saturday will be in Harvard Square where we will be hanging with the college kids.

Chris in MA
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Lenora~ Cute Story!! We have had many "girl issues" themed talks with our sons. One being that when a girl as school gets suddenly cranky, or moody it might be that they are on their period. My sons agreed that they have a right to be cranky when they have to deal with THAT every month. I wanted my sons to learn empathy for the opposite sex, not just oogle them. I figured it was my job to enlighten them :-) I think that having them grow up in the environment such as the resort made it able for them to talk to just about anybody.

It's sad that in this world so many adults have a fear of teenagers. Well in California when my sons would ride their bikes down the bikes paths, they would take off their ear buds and say hi to anyone they met. My middle son said one day, "Why are they so hesitant of me?" I said that they just didn't know you, but to keep doing what you are doing. Many will say hi to you. I always taught them to "listen to their inner voices" so there are adults you might not wish to say hi to, and that's OK.

I have had many a talk to my sons about our "hobby" stating that not many would approve of it, or understand. It did help our older sons with self esteem, especially the middle son that went thru a definite pudgy stage in middle school. During the summer when we would go to the resort, he could run in the sun and it just didn't matter. When he got to high school, he put a AANR sticker on his main folder, so everyone knew he was a nudist, (he was really tan). Once when I was explaining to a teacher the fact that I had to take son out of class early so we could go camping at the resort, she asked, "With this clothing outlet place you go to, do you have a card kind of thing or what?' I answered, "Well its a clothing Optional place and yep we have a membership card. " She got beet red saying, "Oh I totally missed the bar on that one!" But she was glad I had told her anyways.

Today at the TOPS meeting I gained .6 lbs. Nothing to fret over and technically I am still in some sort of holding pattern. Otherwise an ok meeting. No wise words of wisdom, or enlightenment, but still nice to see everyone.

Becca
    Oregon
  • lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Welcome Bonjomac! My son's family is my life so I can see how you must feel with everyone out of state.

Katla ~ Good wishes and prayers for your DS & DDiL moving across country.

Barbie ~ So glad you did well at the car dealers.

DJ ~ Glad you didn't let the pastries send you astray.

I have had a great day today. Yesterday my knees were so bad that I could hardly walk. Today, they were fine and I have had the energy to get a lot done around the house. Am baking an oven stuffer hen and have made Paula Dean's Southern cornbread dressing to go with it. Will have to watch the portions on the dressing, but, it is so good.

Carol

Carol, some of my best childhood memories are of helping my grandma Dorothy make a baked chicken. I have her roaster pan now, it is a humongous cast-iron thing. My chickens never taste as good as hers did, though. I think that there is a big difference in the way chickens are raised these days, they aren't as "rich" tasting as they used to be. Or maybe I'm the one who has changed :) The stuffing sounds wonderful, I have made that recipe before myself, I could eat the entire pan! Enjoy!
    Lora in Indiana
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Katla: ductless A/C does not need ducts to cool your home. We have hot water heat and thus no ducts for forced air. The units hang high on the walls and the condenser is on the outside of the house. The condenser is as wide as a forced air unit but not as deep. It also is set off the ground. We had a beautiful day yesterday. Today we are getting a heavy wet snow. Fortunately they got most of the work done before the snow hit. The electrician has work he needs to complete. It will be great to have it on those 90 + and 80% humidity days.

:heart: Margaret
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Just finished walking on the treadmill. Still alternating days between strength training and cardio. Yesterday I went and bought heavier weights before my workout. I could not up the weight on every thing but did up it on several. Jack thinks its great. It pleases me that he is so pleased :).

Thank you all for the kind words about my granddaughter. I told her I'd take her shopping before she goes to get a nice "professional" outfit for when she wins top price. Positive thinking!! Also will give her some spending money to have while in Boston.

Janetr OKC

I think your granddaughter will have a great time in Boston, it has a lot of things to offer for the young folk and you can't beat it for the historic value. In fact, my date on Saturday will be in Harvard Square where we will be hanging with the college kids.

Chris in MA

How much fun :) I'm sure she will have a great time. I'd love to be going with her. I've never been up that way at all. Have just been talking abut it with Jack lately that on one of our next motor home trips I want to go that way.

Janetr OKC
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Snowing in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Gayle Minneapolis
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,327 Member
    Options
    Hi, here I am in my son's house, watching the cricket highlights. ;)
    The kids were a bit cranky today, but nothing serious, just tired. The baby and the two year old have colds. We had good car races in the kitchen and I had lots of cuddles with Bea.
    Later I went out to get take away kebab for the adults. Yummy. I have come in under calories for the day by a squeak. The train picnic was deeeeevine. :D
    Tomorrow DGS is at school, so we just have DGD. <3
    Will have an early night and hope to sleep well.

Hope all those suffering snow will be ok. :flowerforyou:
    Glad Janetr contacted Terri. Thanks.

Welcome new ladies! Stick with us. :p

I've got my pesky pound back, so I will be looking to shave that off. :'(

One thing about grandchildren - they do take your mind off everything! :laugh: DH's sister rang this morning to update us. No good news and unlikely to be. :'( I read a lovely, helpful and improving book on the train. A great help to me.

Love Heather in London UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    love the snow pic!!!
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Heather - The two's are a tough age to have a new sibling move in. Hope the smiles turn to real soon!

Vicki - So glad you had good news from your ultrasound. What a relief!

Pip - Wow! I really love self insured plans. My husband and I have worked for a couple of companies in the past that did that, and it was a win for everybody.

Lenora - I understand your feelings about people working the system, but also remember that the Stuff Police don't come around and take all your nice stuff when you fall on hard times. It's often not possible to resell used stuff for enough to make it worth the time and risk of posting it for sale, so maybe you just hang on to it to have some distraction from your troubles. And to be honest, if you have a nice car you keep it because in a lot of our cites you can't get to work without one. Philip and I have never had to claim anything but unemployment benefits, but I know from personal experience that sometimes when people have experienced a big financial hit, their belongings can easily "outclass" their current financial means. You can't always tell from the outside what people have been through.

Sylvia - I feel for you and your son. Hopefully getting the place clean will be a new start and give him the motivation not to let the mess pile up again.

Betty - Your post about Japanese decluttering made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

Becca - It's interesting that your sons were able to "let it all hang out." We used to skinny dip with a bunch of cavers out on Lake Travis, and one thing I noticed was that some of the kids who'd grown up in the group got a lot more shy as they approached adolescence and became less comfortable in their bodies. I'm guessing that most of them eventually lost that self consciousness again once their hormones settled down.

It's another beautiful, warm day here. I keep watching the feeder for hummingbirds - seems like I should have seen some by now but so far nothing.

-Yvonne in TX
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    love the snow pic!!!

Yep, its fun to look at from here :) Has a foot now and still snowing, took her an hour and 15 minutes to drive the 14 miles home from work. My 19 yo granddaughter decided to drive to the mountains to snow board. Oh goodness, I'm too old to think of about it. Kids!!! :)

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    StrongLift Workout

Squat-1X5X 95/100/105/110, 5X5X 115
    Sumo squat-5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/60/65, 5X5X 70
    BR-5X5X 75

10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Russian Kettlebell Swing- 27X10X25 = 270

Day 23 Challenge Total = 8,370

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge

Goal 5 miles

All I can say is yay! I really do not enjoy exercising. I love to eat. I have chosen exercises that give me the most bang for my buck! In addition they are not very time-consuming. And the walking is pleasurable. As well as necessary when you have a puppy!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    dj walking away from pastry is a big nsv to be celebrated ....with a big glass of water :p

Spent this day planning a quick trip to phila, looking forward to shopping and museums with dd and meeting 3 additional contractors for bathroom remodel for my sister, wish us luck!

Going to treat myself well on this little trip, rest, exercise and good food, not overdoing it, but as dj says Savor

Karen from ny
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    I am pooped...long day at work, and I was the only one working because miss chatterbox wouldn't shut up. have to get up at 2:30.. so I can get to the gym by 3 so I have the 2 hrs and then go home walk the dogs and take off for the cape..
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Karen, we went to Philly once and we plan on never, ever going back. They call it the city of love but we didn't find much of it. We couldn't believe some of the prices, the airport was terrible. OK, I am over that.

Mary, I think Shep could be a model!

Katla, you must have seen the article on face book about ticks causing MS. It has long been a theory that Lymes disease causes MS. One problem is that they have never found proof of what causes MS specifically and there are many, many other diseases that can mimic it. So the diagnosis phase is ruling out other illnesses. But Lymes disease is treated completely different than MS. My problem is that MS in it's very name is multiple and since 1997 when I was first diagnosed, I have only had one. But I had enough lab and spinal tests and symptoms to give a diagnosis of probable MS and then when I had enough relapses they took away the probable.

Charlie finally shaved and showered today!!!!! I changed his bandages and now he looks spiffy! He hopes that his bowels will behave themselves so that he can go to his Wednesday evening Karaoke spot. What he does is to take enough tomato juice in the afternoon to empty himself out, and then not eat supper until he gets home at midnight. Not exactly what I would recommend.

Rosi, what did your exchange student think about your cat in the tree?

Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Yvonne – When I talk about people ‘working’ the system; I am speaking of people that get extra ‘food stamps’, ‘public housing’, ‘free cell phones, ‘very reduced or free healthcare’, and don’t work because ‘if’ they do they would either lose their ‘un- or under-employed status’ and their benefits would be decreased. It crosses all racial lines - so don't say that I am being 'racist' ... I'm not. We see young girls with several babies walking the streets in town, going into stores and buying nice things, probably with the Baby-Daddies’ making money by selling drugs, etc. Most of the young mothers are so engrossed in conversations of their own, that the toddlers are walking alone; it is almost like they don’t care if they need to be watching traffic.

When you talk about the “Stuff Police” not coming and taking your ‘stuff’ away from you; bankruptcy laws vary state-to-state. For instance, if you know that you will have to file ‘bankruptcy’ one of the best states to live in is Florida. They can’t throw you out of your home, or take things you have bought for the home; things like that. But, in Georgia, depending on what type of bankruptcy proceedings you go through they ‘can’ take ‘everything’ that you have and sell it at a public sale to give to your creditors.

I'm so saddened at what occurred in Brussels; it is getting bad everywhere. But, we lose if we cower down and don't go out and about our business. Just be aware of what is going on around you.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Joyce- Shep is very photogenic! I hope that Charlie has a good time tonight.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    3kqo3rdwhgkg.jpg

This is not actually my car, but it's a photo I got off the internet....I feel so disloyal to my former car, but in less than 24 hours, I love my new car. <3<3smiley-love013.gif