50+ Women

Options

Replies

• Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi and thanks Grammymax I just entered the time for both ways and its the same calorie burn. No more worries about that! The only thing is, it doesn't burn enough to meet my daily goal I have set. I will have to do both the one mile and the two mile or - Heaven forbid- get on my year-old, barely used elliptical that I just had to have. It just can't comprehend how people can go for 60 minutes. I have worked myself up to 12-15 minutes. I guess I'll have to put it on my growing list of things to try harder at!

Heather
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Quick question - what is this walking DVD I've been reading about? I don't have any exercise videos and it would be good to have somehting on hand for when the Y is closed or I don't feel like going out. Being realistic, I need something that isn't too strenuous or taxing on the body - I really need to be careful not to cause damage to tendons, etc. I would just like to burn some calories and, hopefully, enjoy doing it. Thanks!
    Zaza
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Hope all are doing well.

I have been enjoying the latest dump of snow we received. From walking in it, shovelling and snowshoeing. Although the latest forecast is warning of a "deep freeze" coming so I guess I will have to resort to my treadmill and stationary bike. The scale is being kind to me and I appreciate that. However, my hips are giving me some pain and grief:grumble: Not sure what is going on with them. You would think that they would be happy that there is a little bit less of me to carry around! I know that my knees are clicking somewhat less than what they used to. Thank goodness for little blessings:happy:

Sending warm and positive thoughts to all Fabulous Fifties:flowerforyou:
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    zaza - the walking tape is called 'Walking Away the Pounds" with Leslie Sansone (I think that's how you spell her last name). There is a set of 3 - 1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile. I loned my 3 mile to my daughter-in-law so all I have is the 1 & 2 mile but it gets me up and moving anyway.

Have a great evening,
    Esther
  • Benson
    Options
    Morning all Freezing cold again here. Great to be a northerner! -48C with the wind chill factor. BRRRR!

ZaZa: There are quite a few Lesle Sansone walking DVD's I have only one but it is a single DVD with three different levels of intensity on it. I have also heard of one on here that's called '4 fast miles' There is also other ones that aren't her - Walking Slim?? I got mine at WalMart. I too have to be very careful with what I'm asking my body to do at this stage and I'm finding this walking workout fine so far.
    Good luck to you.

Yesterday was good for me, mind you I had to go to bed early and read a book to keep me out of the fridge!

Have a good day

Heather
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Good choice Heather. Bed rather than frig. And so much more cozy :laugh:
    Esther
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info about the dvds. Do you walk on a treadmill or in place for a mile or is there some other activity on the dvd? Thanks again.
  • Benson
    Options
    Hi ZaZa My DVD is just walking - four basic steps Marching, side steps, knee lifts and leg lifts. The only equipment you need is a DVD player/TV and runners! Mine also came with the Walk Away the Pounds weighted balls. You just fill them with water and you're ready to go. Its just aerobic walking. I hope you get to try it soon. I know it's not enough for me to do but in my current physical condition it is what I can manage without being sore.

I went over my calories yesterday for the dumbest of reasons. I saw a pkg of butterscotch chips and before I knew it I popped a handful in and gobbled them up - EEEW so sweet - yet delish! Too bad they have 80 cals for one little teaspoon! The rest went in the garbage.

Have a good day all.

Heather
  • spiritdncr
    Options
    I am so sorry for your personal loss. Cancer is a very hard disease for all parties concerned. I'm glad that your brother's fight is over and he can rest in peace now. Take care of yourself now as January seems to be a tough month for our mental attitudes. I'm new on this website but am enjoying it so far. I too am 50 (working on the plus) and have reached the time when it's now or well not never but hopefully now is the time to shed all those lazy pounds. Good luck to you on your quest.

124866.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com -
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Welcome Spiritdncr. Glad to have you join us. You're already down 5# it looks like so keep up the good work.
    Esther
  • Grammymax
    Options
    My WATP weighted balls are filled with sand. They must have revised the filler so that it would be cheaper to ship! I got the 2 miles in and hopefully will go outside for another 2 miles later today.
    Hope everyone has a great day.
    Esther
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Well crapola! I didn't lose a single pound over the past week. :explode: My goal was to get down to 147.0 but I didn't even lose one stinkin' ounce! RATS! My goal for next Thursday is 147.0. Hopefully I can make my goal next week. :grumble:

Ok, I'm done ranting.

Betty
  • 1347debba
    Options
    I am 50 plus , and need help also. Any one out there to keep me going , I am bordline diabetic, need to lose 75 ponds , had a total hip replacement , so my exercise is limited, to some walking on a treadmill mostly . I would love to do the aerobics but can't . I led such an active life before surgery, this sucks.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I am 50 plus , and need help also. Any one out there to keep me going , I am bordline diabetic, need to lose 75 ponds , had a total hip replacement , so my exercise is limited, to some walking on a treadmill mostly . I would love to do the aerobics but can't . I led such an active life before surgery, this sucks.

I don't have any suggestions but I wanted to welcome you to the group and bump this thread. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions for you. Good luck to you in your weight loss journey. :flowerforyou:

Betty
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Betty - Don't you just hate those weeks when we don't loose an ounce! Hang in there though because next week you may see a bigger loss.

Debba - welcome to the thread. Are you new to the website as well? This is a great group of encouraging people.

I have a question for anyone interested in answering. What kind of an eating program are you following? I'm basically just trying to keep the calories at 1200 (plus workout cals) and keeping the fat down. What about the rest of you?

Esther
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    Hi ladies! I'm a newbie here, wanted to say hello and see what is going on with other Over 50's...

I'm not following a specific eating plan, just healthy food, watching carbs & fat and trying (desperately!) to keep away from sugar.... my one true love :tongue:

Question - what IS the deal with 'not losing ANY weight this week'?!? I am having a really hard time with this, especially after sticking with 1100 calories (or less) plus exercising. It is SO frustrating! Any ideas what to do to speed things up??
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    Wow Heather! You inspire me.

Have been down with a cold for 2 days and haven't exercised at all.

Reading about you all with your exercise dvds and going for 2 miles, tonight I am ABSOLUTELY gonna put on Sweatin' with the oldies and go for at least half an hour.

Does anyone watch Biggest Loser? How about the tip that singing while you exercise ups the ante, has anyone tried it?

bk
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Hi ladies! I'm a newbie here, wanted to say hello and see what is going on with other Over 50's...

I'm not following a specific eating plan, just healthy food, watching carbs & fat and trying (desperately!) to keep away from sugar.... my one true love

Question - what IS the deal with 'not losing ANY weight this week'?!? I am having a really hard time with this, especially after sticking with 1100 calories (or less) plus exercising. It is SO frustrating! Any ideas what to do to speed things up??

________

Welcome. Sounds like you may be eating too little if you're at 1100 and exercising. You need to eat the calories you burn as well. Also, are you drinking water? Glad to have you join us. Does anyone else have advice for chrispchef?
  • Grammymax
    Options
    How do you ladies put the colored quote in so that people know you're responding to a question or comment? The above message is a response to chrispchef.
    Esther
  • Benson
    Options
    Morning

Ester: Thank must be the case with the WATP weighted balls because mine were deflated.

Betty: I was pulling for you to lose - double rats!! but at least you didn;t gain Most weeks I would be happy for a maintain!

I'm kind of in a sketchy spot with my internet today - it keeps booting me off and crashing.

Could someone do me a favour and send cmriverside our link so she can join us

In advance welcome Cheryl.

welcome to others If we band together we will get o our goals - I'm sure of it. I weigh in tomorrow and hope like heck I get to see at least a maintain, after a bigger loss (last week -8.5) I usually pop back up a couple. Fingers crossed that I see 217 Please Please.

Ester: I don't know if I will ever get to the three miler on WATP I watched it last night when I fnished the two mile and holy moly its fast! I guess I shouldn't think that way.

My eating plan is to try to follow the Canda Health Food Guide, staying within 1200 calories plus any exercise calories. Usually I try to burn of 250-300 daily which is good because I often eat 1500!!

have a good one

The weather is supposed to warm up so maybe I'll get an outside walk in on Saturday and Sunday.