April 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    After our discussion earlier on women's running shorts with pockets I decided to go on a hunt for some compression shorts with enough pockets that I wouldn't need to wear a waist belt. I found these http://www.skirtsports.com/product/redemption-shorties/
    I wore them today and they have pockets on each side roomy enough to hold my phone, gels or bloks, treats for the pup, etc.. There is no zipper pocket however for a key or driver's license. They are fairly true to size although I probably will order an XS instead of a S if I order another pair. They were super comfortable and did not ride up at all.

They also have these which I also purchased but have not yet run in: http://www.skirtsports.com/product/redemption-fitness-short-2/
    These are a bit shorter and have a double pocket on one side and a large zipper pocket in back. They run a bit smaller but the S seems to fit perfectly
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Your shoes look great, @MNLittleFinn ! Hope you enjoy many comfortable miles in them.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Wow almost 400 new posts since I've been here last. Don't think I can catch up on all that.
    Just checking in and letting you all know I took off almost a minute from my time last week with my run group. Ran the whole 30 minutes, no walk breaks.

April mileage: 7.3
    Goal:30

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    No run today for me. It's a rest day. Tomorrow is my first half marathon of the year. It is also kicking off 4 consecutive weekends with a half marathon. I'm ready!!!

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/5 - 5 miles
    4/6 - 8 miles
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 - Rest

42/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    @Amandajs232 @shanaber It was weird for me too but at one point It got into habit. I fixed my posture like this as well by adjusting it every single time I felt it off. It should't feel bad, just...unnatural
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    @ohhim - good luck this weekend with Ironman!
    @WhatMeRunning - good luck to you as well with the first HM in your series.
    @anyone else I missed - good luck on your races!

It's like a part time job to keep up in here, lol. What a great group of runners! Sometimes I want to tell someone something that I learned here and I start it off with "one of my online running friends said....". :smiley:

4/1- 5.1 miles in the rain
    4/2 - rest/travel day
    4/3 - 34 miles on bike
    4/4 - 5.1 miles (intervals)
    4/5 - 5.1 miles - intervals (although slower than yesterday)
    4/6 - 22 miles on bike + Strength training
    4/7 - 4.2 miles - slow and steady
    4/8 - strength training

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Well, after several days' rest, and my knee feeling perfectly fine since a couple hours after the 15K last Saturday, I decided to do a little test run on the treadmill (on an incline since Saturday's 5K is all hills). My knee didn't hurt, but it started to feel weird around 1.5 miles,, so I cut my run to 2 miles. I don't want to chance doing any damage before Saturday. It looks like I might be doing minimal training between now and the Broad Street Run next month.

04/02 9.30 mi
    04/07 2.00 mi
    TOTAL 11.30 mi
    GOAL 45.00 mi

2016 Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K – 1:44:22 15K PR
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
    04/16 – River Horse 6K
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited April 2016
    April

1-no run yet, maybe later
    2-13.2mi
    3-nothing
    4-nothing
    5-5.35
    6-yoga tonight
    7-nope
    8-late night tonight(ani difranco concert), so no run this morning

exercise.png

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited April 2016
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @greenolivetree Honestly the best way to tell if you're running to hard is to literally talk out loud to yourself. I do this all the time and look like a crazy person, but there's usually not anyone actually around to hear it (though I was singing along to Hamilton yesterday and turned a corner and someone was outside watering some plants... oops). If 8:30 would be a 5k race pace for you right now, then 9:30-10:30 sounds about right for an easy pace as long as it's conversational.

If you could sing Christina Aguilera's Fighter out loud in perfect rythem (singing in tune is optional) while running; then you are running a good easy pace. If not, slow down your pace until you can.

This is a tellingly specific example, @Stoshew71 ;)
    I figure if I can rap "My Shot" from Hamilton while also moving my body forward, I am A-OK.
    "I'mma get a scholarship to King's College. I prolly shouldn't brag, but dag, I amaze and astonish. The problem is I got a lot a brains but no polish, I gotta holler just to heard, with every word I drop knowledge..." I didn't think I had this song memorized until I was running my shake-out last week and made it through half the rap without music (I'd been running with a friend and didn't have my ipod). Now I'm a pro! ;)

This may go before your time (unless you watch Nick at night)

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
    Beans don't burn on the grill.
    Took a whole lotta tryin'
    Just to get up that hill.
    Now we're up in the big leagues
    Gettin' our turn at bat.
    As long as we live, it's you and me baby
    There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Well, we're movin' on up (movin' on up)
    To the East Side!

By the way, Nelly used these lyrics in a song the early 2000s. I only know this because I was in high school, and my boyfriend's twin brother at the time was very into Nelly's album Country Grammar. I remember hearing the song for the first time and being annoyed that Nelly ripped it from the Jeffersons!
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Took a night off last night, but I plan to be back at it tonight. I was looking forward to another run outside tonight instead of the treadmill, but they are calling for 1-2 inches of snow starting early evening. :neutral: Why in the world is it snowing on April 8th?!

4/1……..1.25 miles (Outdoor Interval)
    4/2……..Rest
    4/3……..Rest
    4/4……..3.0 miles (TM 10K training)
    4/5……..3.0 miles (TM Interval)
    4/6……..1.5 miles (Outdoor Walk at Lunch)
    ………2.5 miles (Outdoor 10K training)
    4/7….....Rest

exercise.png
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Miles in April
    4/1 1.5 miles
    4/2 rest
    4/3 8.23 miles
    4/4 2 miles
    4/5 rest
    4/6 rest
    4/7 3 miles
    4/8 4 miles

18.73 down...41.27 left for April! Great job everyone!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!
    4/4: 3 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/5: Rest day
    4/6: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    4/7: 7 miles tempo (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    4/8: Rest day

Woke up this morning craving a recipe my mom makes (beef and peppers) so with all this rest day energy, I'm going to make an attempt at it. I'm not very talented in the kitchen, and this is a whole lot more difficult than my usual crock pot fare, but the craving must be appeased!

Good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend! Knock 'em dead! :)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Woke up this morning craving a recipe my mom makes (beef and peppers) so with all this rest day energy, I'm going to make an attempt at it. I'm not very talented in the kitchen, and this is a whole lot more difficult than my usual crock pot fare, but the craving must be appeased!

That looks really good! And don't worry, from the looks, it isn't too technical so you'll be able to do it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited April 2016
    CivicSista wrote: »
    Wow almost 400 new posts since I've been here last. Don't think I can catch up on all that.
    Just checking in and letting you all know I took off almost a minute from my time last week with my run group. Ran the whole 30 minutes, no walk breaks.

April mileage: 7.3
    Goal:30

Congrats. That's a great achievement!

@WhatMeRunning Good luck on your half tomorrow...and the weeks ahead! Wow!

4/1-2.5 miles running with the puppy
    4/2-16 miles
    4/3- rest day
    4/4-4.5 miles
    4/5-6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    4/6-5.1 miles
    4/7-7 miles

Last night's run was a good one. I was kind of dreading it because it was windy with a light rain and temps just above freezing. I went out straight from work and I had definitely not planned well for the weather when I packed my bag that morning, so I was really quite under dressed. Luckily I had thrown a jacket in my bag last minute and I always keep a spare pair of gloves. Since it was cold and wet, I had my sleeves pulled down over my Garmin and just kept my head down and ran at what I felt was my easy, comfy pace, which usually lands in around an 8:45. I was pretty shocked when I finished my 7 miles and saw that the pace I had been running was 8:12, which is slightly faster than MP. It was one of those runs that you feel like you just want to keep going forever. Love when those happen!

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    4/1 Rest day!
    4/2 6 miles in the snow
    4/3 4 easy miles
    4/4 Rest day
    4/5 4 easy miles
    4/6 Rest day
    4/7- 4 miles
    4/8- Rest day....ugh...

Tomorrow is my long run, looking at 6 miles, as I've done the last few weeks. I really want to run my out and back 6 west miler, but it's more miles out of town and returning I'll be facing the sun. My other option is my out and back east 6 miler and that one has a mile more in town. The West run has more hills (that's a + to me), and I want to try it because it covers a half mile out that I haven't done before.

Here's my conundrum, it's going to be like 5F (-15c) in the morning and, of course, I'll be running into the sun on either the outbound or inbound let depending on which one I take. Any thoughts on which route to take? Or just flip a coin and go with that?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    @MNLittleFinn - Depending on when you start, I would probably go west because:
    1 - That's the route you want to do.
    B - The sun will be higher and more out of your face on the way back than on the way out.
    Other - It has hills.
    Also - It has a new part.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2016
    @MNLittleFinn - Depending on when you start, I would probably go west because:
    1 - That's the route you want to do.
    B - The sun will be higher and more out of your face on the way back than on the way out.
    Other - It has hills.
    Also - It has a new part.

Sunrise is about 0630 tomorrow, so I'll be heading out a little before that. Oh yeah, I pretty much always wear sunglasses on daylight runs.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @ddmom0811 Guilty of the same " online running friend " comment.
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    It's like a part time job to keep up in here, lol. What a great group of runners! Sometimes I want to tell someone something that I learned here and I start it off with "one of my online running friends said....". :smiley:

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 Guilty of the same " online running friend " comment.
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

Same here. I just cut it to " a friend ". It doesn't matter how we meet.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    4/8 - Rest day. Packet pick up for tomorrow's
    25k trail race. Fingers crossed for rain! I need it to stay extra cool! ☺

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!