Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If it's all CICO - why can't you outrun a bad diet?

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't think I could eat 3000 calories in cheeseburgers, so there's that.

In my teens and early 20s, I could outrun a bad diet, in the sense that I never thought about what I ate and yet did not gain weight.

By my 30s, I could not do that -- I needed to at least be a little mindful, even at my most active.
    Also, might I suggest we next debate "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" or possibly "a stitch in time saves 9."

Heh, this.

3000 calories would be approximately 6.5 McDoubles

So you are agreeing with me? ;-)

I don't know I bet you probably could, physically at least, eat 6.5 Mcdoubles in a day. LOL They are tiny little things ( to me at least =) ) I could eat 3 at a time

I dislike McD's burgers, so I doubt it. Don't know about the McDouble as I don't think it existed yet last time I was at a McD's, but research demonstrates that it is .75 the size of a Quarter Pounder (which I can't imagine eating more than one of at a time), so I doubt I could without making a real effort and feeling sick and overstuffed, even over the course of a day. And, of course, that contradicts the idea that people would just consume these calories quickly and without thinking (as with the "it would take me 4 hours to burn off 3000 calories and then I'd eat that back with a cheeseburger" claim I was responding too).

I seriously doubt that thoughtless eating plus a cheeseburger would result in me normally eating anywhere near 3000 calories in a day, and I'd never think to order multiple cheeseburgers. I just don't know why people hypothesize such odd and unusual behavior in these discussions.

Most people gain weight relatively gradually over time, after all.

Appetite and hunger are individual differences, which are ignored by such a simple statement.

Personally, I've never actually eaten more than 4 McDoubles at a single time, but I'm sure I could have had more if I didn't have anything else along with it.

Well, my original statement was that I doubted *I* could eat 3000 calories in cheeseburgers (in what was originally posed as a meal immediately after a huge workout). I didn't say no one could. (I also could manage to eat 3000 calories in a day, I'm sure, although I don't think that's the calorie count I'd hit just by including a cheeseburger.)

The question, though, is whether these extreme scenarios justify the claim that "no one can outrun a bad diet." Let's not forget this all important point! ;-)

I also am trying to find the highest cal widely-available cheeseburger and am failing. Here are a couple that are 1350.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/double-down-by-numbers-unhealthiest/

You see 3K calories a day as extreme, and I don't think that is even close to extreme. Tell me 30K is extreme and I can agree as it is something I can't do every single day... only once in awhile. Again, the original statement we are debating completely ignores individual differences.

ETA: This made me hungry for McDouble's, so for lunch, I just got 2 Mcdouble's with no buns (I'm eating low carb). I'm still just as hungry as before I ate them, but if I had gotten 4 instead of 2, I would only have 22 calories left for dinner tonight.

I have a binging problem myself, but I have problems imagining a 30k day. Can you walk through am example of what you eat in a 30k calorie day?

I would have to go back and find it, but the highest I've logged was 27K I think, back in 2014. If I remember correctly, there were 2 dozen donuts, 4 lbs. (pre-cooked weight) of spaghetti, meatballs, sauce and parmesean cheese. Pizza, cheese sticks, brownies, cookies, and 2 home-made cakes with frosting. I also believe there was a carton of ice cream and a bag or 2 of potato chips and dip at some point for snacks. I think if I wasn't logging, I would have eaten more because I get to where I say I'm not restricting, but I know I really not eating all I want as I see that number of calories.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I would venture to say that the average person eating a cheeseburger is probably not making it, but rather getting it from a fast flood restaurant.

Wow, seriously? I would venture to guess most people grill outside all summer, and make their own cheeseburgers quite often....

Not with Five Guys or Wendy's around. If I'm grilling it will be slabs of beef, fish or lamb. Love a tasty burger though. As for calories, 3000 is just an average day at maintenance.

Wait. What thread is this again?

I don't have either of those near me. :( I've never even ate at a Five Guys and I've traveled to 48 U.S. States and have literally driven right past them (though usually that is in the middle of the night and they are closed). I definitely need to find one of those places.

Honestly, though, I don't have an outside grill. But I do have one of those counter-top grills (George Foreman knock-off) and cook hamburgers on it regularly.

I personally don't get what's so great about Five Guys, though they do have interesting fries. I prefer In-n-Out, hands down.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I would venture to say that the average person eating a cheeseburger is probably not making it, but rather getting it from a fast flood restaurant.

Wow, seriously? I would venture to guess most people grill outside all summer, and make their own cheeseburgers quite often....

Not with Five Guys or Wendy's around. If I'm grilling it will be slabs of beef, fish or lamb. Love a tasty burger though. As for calories, 3000 is just an average day at maintenance.

Ha ha! This, along with the Fruit thread, has been subverted to a discussion of delicious meat product that really, we don't want to outrun. Our work here is done!

I'm a homemade, Steak n' Shake, or Red Robin kinda burger girl myself.

There was a local burger place (huge variety of interesting burgers) not far from me that I tried a few months ago and was looking forward to trying again (Spritzburger). I was going to link their website, which is how I discovered they lost their lease. So sad.

Also, I am definitely making a burger tonight.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Ha ha! This, along with the Fruit thread, has been subverted to a discussion of delicious meat product that really, we don't want to outrun. Our work here is done!

There was a local burger place (huge variety of interesting burgers) not far from me that I tried a few months ago and was looking forward to trying again (Spritzburger). I was going to link their website, which is how I discovered they lost their lease. So sad.

There is a local place that has won awards for best in state (in various categories) 2 years in a row now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That's tomorrow night. I'd move it to tonight but I am making my own hamburger buns and the dough needs to sit overnight.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Former model wolfs down Wendy's 3000 calorie TRex Burger (MY Wendy's doesn't have this!)

http://rare.us/story/watch-this-model-wolf-down-a-nine-patty-3000-calorie-burger-in-under-four-minutes/

ETA: I guess its been banned LOL
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    This is purely for debate purposes - if weight loss is purely calories in and calories out, why can't you 'outrun a bad diet' - surely if you run enough to burn off the calories of a bad dietary intake, you can for all intents and purposes outrun a bad diet?

If a person is in a caloric deficit surely they will lose irrespective of what their food intake is.

begin.....

I've always just taken it to mean that exercise alone won't help you lose weight if you aren't paying attention to how much you eat. Most people who that phrase applies to are people who think that they can lose weight just by exercising and still eat any amount of food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    This is purely for debate purposes - if weight loss is purely calories in and calories out, why can't you 'outrun a bad diet' - surely if you run enough to burn off the calories of a bad dietary intake, you can for all intents and purposes outrun a bad diet?

If a person is in a caloric deficit surely they will lose irrespective of what their food intake is.

begin.....

When people say this, all they're saying is that just because you workout doesn't mean you can eat all the foods...which is what a lot of people think. I see people all of the time in my gym kicking *kitten* and taking names...but their bodies really haven't changed at all...they're still not lean...because they eat too much...thus they aren't "outrunning their diets."
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Somehow when I go to a really great burger place, I end up with either a seared Ahi tuna burger, or a fried chicken sandwich. I'm starting to think I fail at hamburger even though I really enjoy a good one.

It's just that I can make a really good one at home, but I'm not likely to spend the outrageous grocery store price for sushi grade fish and I've never deep fried chicken before (I have flash-fried bite sized chunks for a Korean dish).

Back to topic - I'm also of the opinion that bad diet means either or both 1) eating more calories than meets your goals; 2) not getting adequate nutrition.

Exercise won't fix 2) regardless. 1) you can fix if you're not eating too much over, though I imagine you risk over training if you do it every day (no rest days).

The statement is a simplification, and is obviously not correct 100% of the time.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    In for burger talk.

Wendy's Baconator puts any McD's burger to shame.
    I like Five Guys ok but not sure they're worth the hype.
    I've never had In 'n Out.
    Burger King really is the king of fast food burgers.
    Red Robin is totally awesome.
    Also love me some Whataburger (pronounced "waterburger")
    I NEVER think of McD's when someone mentions "cheeseburger." I think of a big, beefy, hot burger with cheddar cheese and bacon.
    I grill awesome burgers at home.
    I'm totally happy eating home grilled burgers (with cheese) with a fork and no bun when cutting.
    I once wrapped ground beef around cheese and grilled a reverse burger. The cheese oozed out the sides and it was fantastic.

Oh, and "you can't outrun a bad diet" is a trendy phrase but isn't universally true. It depends on how bad the diet and how far you can run.

Carlos, I think your awesome post is even more awesome when read in a poetry-slam voice. You really can't do burgers justice with haiku.

Delicate haiku:
    No flame-seared juices dripping,
    No beefy substance.

Also, how have we missed a discussion of Hardee's Angus burgers, which are insane?

And, now I'm definitely having a burger tonight, too.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    In for burger talk.

Also love me some Whataburger (pronounced "waterburger")
    I once wrapped ground beef around cheese and grilled a reverse burger. The cheese oozed out the sides and it was fantastic.

+1,000
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

We call those 'Juicy Lucys' :yum:
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    When I hear the phrase "you can't outrun a bad diet" I don't necessarily think it is talking in terms of weight. Cico will help you reach or maintain a goal weight. Being at your goal weight may not necessarily be 'healthy'. if you don't eat enough fruit, veg, healthy fats etc you may be deficient in certain vitamins and minerals. Being 130lbs at 5ft 4" may be a good weight but not much good for you if you have health problems. Being healthy and being a good weight are 2 very different things.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Ok what if you eat at maintenance everyday, but burn off 500 calories through exercise to lose 1lb a week. Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ok what if you eat at maintenance everyday, but burn off 500 calories through exercise to lose 1lb a week. Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?

Most would call this "doing it right."
  • Christine_72
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Most would call this "doing it right."

The reason I asked is because this is exactly what I'm doing, started last Monday, so we shall see what happens. One of the reasons I started this other than being able to eat more is because I want to see if my fitbit and TDEE is accurate once and for all!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options

That's pretty much what I've done most spring/summer/autumns ... and I've dropped anywhere from about 10-30 lbs. Then I deliberately put some of that weight back on over winter. And repeat. :)

The only cautionary thing I would suggest is that there is no agreement on how many calories we burn doing various activities. Most calculators over-estimate the number of calories burned. But if one of the reasons you're doing this is to determine if your fitbit is accurate, then yes, go with what your fitbit says ... and do this for at least a couple months because weight loss can be a bit funny. Weight tends to drop in fits and starts rather than how we think it should. But a trend over 2 or 3 or 4 months will show a more accurate picture.

• Christine_72
    Options
    Thanks @Machka9 appreciate your reply.
    I'm up .5kgs since starting this. But I attribute that to higher than usual sodium days and more food overall. I'm hoping :anguished:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Machka9 appreciate your reply.
    I'm up .5kgs since starting this. But I attribute that to higher than usual sodium days and more food overall. I'm hoping :anguished:

The sodium will do that. I had a small roasted pumpkin risotto at a restaurant yesterday ... with feta ... and I was 0.5 kg higher this morning too.