Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• jolyn828
    jolyn828 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So-stopping by for the first time-looks like a great community of friends-I have lost 31.8 pounds so far and have another 87 to go until my goal weight, which I am not sure will be my ultimate goal weight yet. Everyone have a great day
  • Kimber8317
    Kimber8317 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Finally back home after two weeks away, looking forward to getting back into my groove. Though, I was pleasantly surprised by my weigh in yesterday morning, down 5lbs (in 2 weeks). They didn't just fall off....I had to be extra vigilant with my food choices as we were dining out more than I usually do..... I was able to meet my 10k/day step goal by pacing between two bedrooms at my parent's house. I learned, short of an injury, there really isn't a reason for me not to get my steps in. And, to keep myself a priority, even when dealing with tragedy.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Happy Babe Ruth Day!
    Date When Celebrated : Always April 27th
    Babe Ruth Day honors one of Baseball's greatest players ever.
    On April 27, 1947, Babe Ruth attended Yankee Stadium for Babe Ruth Day. It was to be the second last time he was at the stadium. In 1946, Babe Ruth was diagnosed with Throat Cancer. Back then, there was not as much treatment as there is today.
    On this day in 1947, "The Bambino" returned to "The House that Ruth Built" to be honored.

“In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.“~Benjamin Franklin

11857432.png

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @badnoodle ~Wow, that is a lot of yard work—good workout at the same time! Have you found a trick to keeping pests away from your strawberries?

@jolyn828 ~Welcome, great job on your weight loss so far! :star:

@Kimber8317 ~What a great loss while you were away! Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, so great job making those healthier choices.

AFM~I could have sworn I checked in yesterday, but I guess not. :confounded: It was a weird day. I met with my ortho in the morning to go over my MRI results—what he told me is the tendon that stabilizes your ankle on the lateral side (outside) is frayed and basically shredded. It isn’t technically ruptured but is behaving like a ruptured tendon—it will not heal without surgical intervention, so sadly surgery has been scheduled for the end of June (really can’t fit it in my schedule before then). Somehow I have to manage to not really mess things up between now and then. The good news is that, even though I’ll be in a cast for six weeks, this surgery should be easier to recover from and less of a nuisance than the Achilles surgery was. Not exactly the news I was hoping for, but it is what it is--at least its far enough out I have enough time to get things organized around the house.

If anyone is looking for a fun way to keep track of their water intake, there is an app called Plant Nanny—as you drink your water you can watch your plant grow, kind of a fun way and it sends you push notifications throughout the day to remind you to drink your water.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    @kah68 Usually just yelling "Get out of there" seems to work. My major garden pest is the myriads of small children living in the neighborhood. Last year, I had a serial pea-snatcher that decimated my sweet peas.

And virtual hugs over more surgery.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

@badnoodle-- gunner would take care of any garden critters. Unfortunately, he would also trample the garden if we had one. LOL

@kelley-- so sorry you need surgery. :(

Wednesday Wish:
    I wish spring would come to stay already. It was rainy and in the 40s today, so no walk for gunner. I was planning to go to the gym, but once I got in out of the rain, I just couldn't bring myself to go out again. I couldn't get warm so snuggled up with gunner under a blanket for awhile. I really hope I'm not getting sick.

Grading Goals:
    1. 41/41 Yeats journals DONE
    2. x/41 AP essays

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner (meeting) NOT DONE
    Tues-- rest day (meeting)
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • Morgori
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Great Poetry Reading Day!
    Date When Celebrated : Always April 28
    Great Poetry Reading Day is in honor of some really great verse.
    There's lots of poetry out there. Some is good, and some is not so good. Today is intended to read the world's greatest poetry.
    Celebrate today in any or all of the following ways:
    • Read poetry
    • Hold a poetry reading hour or party
    • Listen to poetry
    • Write your own poetry....someday it may be looked upon as great!

” Good food is wise medicine.” ~Alison Levitt M.D., Doctor in the Kitchen®, www.drinthekitchen.com

11857432.png

Tom
  • Morgori
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy International Dance Day!

” Albert Einstein, who discovered that a tiny amount of mass is equal to a huge amount of energy, which explains why, as Einstein himself so eloquently put it in a famous 1939 speech to the Physics Department at Princeton, "You have to exercise for a week to work off the thigh fat from a single Snickers." ~Dave Barry

11857432.png

Tom
  • Kimber8317
    Kimber8317 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Morgori wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

Happy International Dance Day!

” Albert Einstein, who discovered that a tiny amount of mass is equal to a huge amount of energy, which explains why, as Einstein himself so eloquently put it in a famous 1939 speech to the Physics Department at Princeton, "You have to exercise for a week to work off the thigh fat from a single Snickers." ~Dave Barry

11857432.png

Tom

Haaaa. Physics bests me again!!! Back in high school, I had a friend who bought me balloon bouquets. I came home complaining how difficult it was to drive with them in my car. "They were always coming up to the front seats." My dad suggested I don't floor it when I take off from a stop. I tried to say that wasn't the case.....long story short we took the latest bouquet out to the car and a demonstration in physics proved I was accelerating too fast.
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    So I've been dealing with some shoulder and neck pain for the past couple of days with stiffness and a hard time moving my head side to side. Doc says it's a sprain and i'm using weights that are too heavy. I started with 3lbs because it seemed ok? So she said to start with 1lb after this goes away. heat, anti-inflammatories and a muscle relaxer at night to get it all settled down. My kitty isn't feeling well either, but i can't carry her to an exam(16lb part -maine coon) so we'll have to see tomorrow when my Husband can take her if her Diabetes is back. We're all a hot mess over here!
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all, I just want to check in, I went to my radiologist for 6 month followup, and told him about the problems I have been having with my left shoulder after the injury in Aug or Sept last year. I've tried to get my primary care physician to look at it but she just blew me off, and so did my oncologist. Thankfully my radiologist is much more open to looking at the whole person. He referred me for an MRI of the left shoulder and depending on what they find, I may go to either a PT or a surgeon. I'm so glad someone is finally listening to me. If I jerk in surprise or do things wrong it hurts like h@#$, and it aches all the time and my range of motion is limited. I thought it might heal on it's own but no such luck, 7 or 8 months is too long.
    Got to work out last night at the gym, and felt great. If you stay away too long you forget how good it feels to do something just for yourself! Gonna try to go again tonight after my MRI, before I come back to work.
    Tracy
    TX
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    HI All,

Sorry I have been MIA for a while now life became very busy again. Between work and ASL class and volunteering my time has been split, so I hope it slows down soon again.

Welcome to all the new people and the journey you are starting on.

Kelley- I hope your ankle is okay.

Karen- Good luck with the grading goals.

uskil-Good to see you back.

It is great to see so many people posting and I am looking forward to getting to know you.

This past week, I have not felt well so training and exercise was hard but I did it. I have a bunch of skin tags that became inflamed the last couple of weeks and just started hurting last week. Now they are still not happy but at least better. Hopefully, I won't make them worst after tomorrow's triathlon.

Tomorrow, I am doing a sprint triathlon with an 800 yd. swim, 9 mile bike and a 3 mile run. I am ready as I can be so it should be fun. That is my goal and do it faster than last year. I hope the run goes well and I can run it faster than last year.

I keep exercising and moving but I need to ramp it up. My next goal is to work on my thighs to help tone them and maybe reduce the width.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • Amendoza521998
    Amendoza521998 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys/girls just started my long commitment to losing weight. Today I ate moderately healthy but for the junk food I ate I longboarded 5 miles of hills and flatland which took roughly 30 minutes which means I burned off somewhere around 500-650 calories. Of course I drank water prior and after along with warm up and cool down stretches
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @amendoza-- sounds like great exercise and fun too!

@laurie-- good luck on the tri tomorrow! Grading is going well; still a lot left but I can see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

@tammy-- the shoulder symptoms you described sound familiar. I thought I just pulled a muscle and my pain would go away on its own, but it turned out to be labrial tear. I went through months of PT with minor improvement. Over a year after ending PT (b/c I just couldn't keep up with the schedule, not because they thought I was finished), I still have limited range of motion and strength, though it's much better than it used to be. Two cortisone shots helped get rid of the pain-- I had both types you described: the sharp pain that would come at any sudden movement, as well as a constant ache in my shoulder and neck. I hope your healing process goes better than mine.

@moody-- hope you also heal quickly!

@tom-- I read some poetry yesterday, but did not manage any dancing today. LOL

Grading Goals:
    1. 3/41 AP essays

Fitness Goals for the month of April:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 2 5ks/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

You vs Year Challenge:
    143 k done/ 857k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner (meeting) NOT DONE
    Tues-- rest day (meeting)
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    The tri went well and I finished 5/15 in my age group. I improved on my time in the swim and run from last year. Overall a good day for the tri, it was cold this morning.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Lauriek70 great job on the tri!

I had a great weekend! I spent a lot of time working out in the yard again. Lowes was running a big sale on their potted herbs and vegetables, so I got all I'll want for the summer. I still had to make three trips to finish mulching all my beds. (You can only put so many cubic feet of anything in the trunk of a Civic). Saturday night, I went to see one of my favorite bands play, and I really enjoyed the show even though I didn't have any beer.
    I also recorded a substantial psychological victory: as of this morning, I've caught up to my weight in my senior year of college. And high school weight is a realistic goal by the end of the summer.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Friends. I have spent a couple of days trying to get caught up on the thread. I'm glad to see so many new people dedicated to better health. I'm also glad to see that some of my old friends are still here. So many are missing now.
    Long story short. I am not doing well with my weight. When I got withing 10# of my goal weight, I relaxed and thought I could change things up and not work so hard. I am now 40# from my goal weight. It comes on a lot faster than it goes off. I had to go thrift store shopping to get some pants that fit for the summer. I keep thinking that I know how to eat so I shouldn't have to log all the time. It just isn't working for me. I am busy and there is a lot of stress, so I am having a really hard time getting my head around this again. I am walking consistently, usually 3.8 miles per day. Cathy and her little dog Burt are my walking companions and I enjoy that. I'm living proof that exercise alone will not do the trick.
    On unrelated subjects: The bathroom remodel went well and we love the big shower. We had a nice trip to Vancouver, WA to hear our granddaughter report her mission. As a follow up of the bathroom remodel we are getting new carpet in our bedroom this week. I have 2 high school graduations to attend for grandkids. One is near by but the other means another trip to Vancouver. Nicole is going to drive us over for that one. I will be having house guests during the later part of May and June. My son moved to Portland, OR in Nov. He has finally been able to get an apartment for them, so DIL is moving on May 14. He moved into our upstairs 15 years ago when his wife left him. He needed help with his little boy and we were happy to help, but let me just say that it has been long enough. I can hardly wait to have my house back. I am really worried about what will have to be done when she leaves. She has 8 cats up there, and it just isn't big enough for that many cats. I shudder to think of the damage that has probably occurred. Anya (3 year old granddaughter) had a tonsilectomy in April to cut down on her incidents of strep and seizures caused by the fevers. Two weeks later she got an ear infection, fever, and another seizure. We had to get a new lawn mower over the weekend. I insisted on one with an electric start so I can be more actively involved in the lawn mowing. I just have too much trouble with the pull start. I think it's because I am so short.
    I am deternined to get my act together again. It is so helpful to follow this thread and gain inspiration from all of you. The things that you are doing are great reminders of the things that I need to start doing again. The first one is to start checking in here again regularly.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Morgori
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Brothers and Sisters Day!
    Date When Celebrated: Always on May 2
    Brothers and Sisters Day is a day to cherish your siblings. Sure, there are times when you love your brothers and sisters. And, there's times when you want to disown them. All in all, having a brother and/or a sister or two, is invaluable. The older you get, the more you learn to appreciate them.
    Celebrate Brothers and Sisters Day by touching them in some way. A card or a phone call is appropriate for those who are separated by too many miles. A visit, or sharing a meal together, is a great way to enjoy this special day.
    Don't have a brother or sister? Become a "Big Brother" or Big Sister". Chances are, there is an organization in your area. And, they need your help.
    Brothers and Sisters Day is similar to National Sibling Day, held on April 10th.

” All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!
    Lucy Van Pelt in Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz

11857432.png

Tom
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just checking in! Welcome to all the new folks, and hey to previous acquaintances!

Happy Brothers and Sisters Day! I grew up with just one sister, 13 months younger than me. Just after I finished college my dad remarried and I gained a little brother and sister who I outrank by fifteen and eighteen years. Eight years ago I met my older sister who my mother had given for adoption before she met my father. So now I have three sisters and a brother and I wouldn't trade away any of them! My husband pointed out that the fact that I have actually been the middle child, instead of the oldest, all these years really explains a lot.

I had a fun weekend working at a conference - I was required to smile, engage in conversation, and be polite to strangers for three days straight - I'm almost recovered but I find that sort of thing to be mentally exhausting. Thankfully I didn't have to sell anything - just answer questions about a program I represent. If I had to do sales I would still be hiding under a rock right now. I basically kept my eating under control, but might have had a few more adult beverages than others might think prudent. All in all I think I did OK. I'll find out when I check in at the doctor's office on Friday morning!

I joined the Biggest Loser Challenge - Team Black Thunder - good luck to any of you who are in this one! I find having a team depend on my efforts helps keep me accountable - gives me another reason to think twice before I eat something extra, or motivates me to go to the gym when I would rather sit home.
  • DarthSamson
    DarthSamson Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    looking to lose 100 down 60 since Nov 30