Senior Golden Sneakers..........June, 2011

Options

Replies

• bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just hijacking this thread as I am new here. Where are you from in Sask if I may ask? I am Saskatchewan born and raised and moved to Alberta 10 years ago. Have quit smoking for 3.5 months and have gained some weight so figure it's time to get control before I am out of control....lol. Looking forward to this thread....looks like fun!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Good morning. Today we all slept late and the walking with frisky poodles didn't take place until 8 AM when it was already sunny and warm enough for me to take off my gloves and down vest :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: When we took our trip in April I came home four pounds heavier than when I left. The first two pounds left quickly (maybe just water weight from too much sodium filled restaurant food). The next pound came off after about a month and finally today I am willing to post that the last pound is gone and I am back at my goal weight again.

:bigsmile: Sandy, we have a DVR system and record everything we like on TV so we can watch it when we want, fast forward through the commercials, and pause it if the phone rings or the dogs want to go out :bigsmile: I watch figure skating and gymnastics. I did some figure skating and gymnastics as a teenager. I played a bit of tennis but never got very excited about it. My best friend who is 70+ plays competitive tennis with women in her age group several times a week year round (she lives near San Jose, CA)

:bigsmile: Buzz, your new pictures are great. Thanks for taking the time to post them for us to see :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Today is cleanse day so I'll be taking it easier and may have more time on the computer :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: I have been a Tom Selleck fan since Magnum, PI was actually on TV. Now I love him in Blue Bloods and Jesse Stone.:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Buzz you are a verynic looking woman. I went to your profile and wow. You don't look a day over 69 in yout stripped shirt..
    Ypu are a beauitiful woman

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Another good one Sandy keep them coming.

deb you ask why they are bulldozing these houses down. . The one they just did was about ready to fall down. Ths is an old part of town. We had a lot o work done on ours about 10 years ago. The lots are worth more than the houses. We hope to live out our lives here.

Got to go and grab me a bite.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    Welcome bada_bing!! Sundays are slow on this thread but I know everyone will be more than happy to have a new member. :bigsmile: I love your nickname especially with all the jokes being posted lately!! :laugh: We are a good group and have fun while supporting each other through thick and thin. Stick around and tell us something about yourself.

I am married for the second time, have four children, he has two, between us six grandchildren. I have an Old English Sheepdog named Daisy Mae and she is like our baby. I am 69 years old but as long as I don't look in the mirror I feel much younger. :laugh: Since changing my lifestyle of exercise and eating, I have managed to lose 21 pounds and I am proud of myself. There are others who have lost so much more and maintain and keep healthy and stay with us to encourage.

We are like family and always look forward to new people. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I would love to go to a icecream social this afternnon or just a trip to the ice cream parlor for a delious ice cream cone. We have one about a block and half from our house. Two main roads to cross to get there.

icecreamcone.jpg

HAVE A LICK.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: welcome, Bada_Bing.....it's good to see you here :bigsmile: we are a friendly group and have a lot of fun.

I've been posting on this thread for over two years. When I started I weighed over 180 pounds and thought I was destined to be that way forever. One day at a time with the help of the friends on MFP I've reached a weight that's less than what I weighed in fourth grade. I spend less time at the computer now because I have so much more energy now so I get up and do more active things. My husband, Jake, posts on this thread sometimes (usually to tell a joke or laugh at someone else's jokes :laugh: ) but he has been pursuing an active healthy lifestyle with me. Most of my exercise comes from walking my energetic standard poodles, Brandy and Sasha and I go to line dance classes three days a week.

:flowerforyou: Marie, that Ice cream probably looks better to you than it does to me. It is about 65 degrees here right now, not nearly as hot as it is where you live.

:bigsmile: Sandy, I stay with this thread and MFP because I don't ever want to go back to being that unpleasingly plump woman who is in all my photos:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It would be too easy to go back to the old "eat everything in sight" way of life without the daily encouragement of healthy balanced people like you.:bigsmile:
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers,

Well its so hot today I'm melting!! Have'nt done anything today. Had a very bad headache again, so just lazed around.

Sandy: LOL:laugh: :laugh: Love your new photo. I agree George is gorgeous and single again!!! But I do love Tom too! I would'nt say no to either of them :laugh:

Buzz, sounds like you've had a wonderful birthday. Have a good rest. Your photos are lovely and I agree with Marie, you look beautiful and young. Such good skin. You and Sandy are amazing:flowerforyou:

Marie, That icecream is so tempting:tongue: Its a shame to see houses bulldozed. If only they could be done up instead!:flowerforyou:

Barbie< I am hoping to feel well enough to do some exercise tomorrow. We are having a heatwave here at the moment, so I am struggling just to walk around! So you iceskated. I would have loved to have done something like that when I was younger. I did play tennis at school but not very well. I am afraid I am just not naturally sporty. I love to watch the skating and gymnastics and Tennis though.:bigsmile:

Bada Bing: Welcome. This is a lovely place to be with lovely ladies who give a lot of support. I have only been on here for a few months myself, but I have been made to feel very welcome and consider all these ladies to be my friends. You will love it:drinker:

Well I am off to watch a film 'Bride wars' on the tv. I am hoping it cools down enough by bedtime to get some much needed sleep.

Have a lovely evening Ladies:heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: CALIECAT...Ice cream is one thing that I can turn down every time.

:flowerforyou: Deb...hope you get to feeling better. Have you tried a cold cloth on your head? Sounds like it could be caused by the heat.

:flowerforyou: Barbie...thanks for sharing your story. You have done so good. Glad that you are sticking it out here with us. You are wonderful example of what we can achieve.

:flowerforyou: Oh my gosh..Sandy...you really do not look 69.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Welcome Bada Bing
    to the Sneakers
    pinkswelcome.gif
    So glad to see you joing us. You couldn't have fell into nicer hands. What a bunch. Love them all.

We Welcome you!
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I insisted on gauze film over the camera!!! ANd that's my dear granddaughter from Hawaii, my son's daughter. She will be moving stateside, but the wedding will be in Kailua, HI in about a year. The kids have flown back to DS's in Cape May, NJ, and DH and I are trying to stay awake! It was great fun having them here!
    And thank you for all the compliments, dear "other" family! I won't weigh until tomorrow....and then I'll lie!!!:noway:
    :smooched: Buzz
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I insisted on gauze film over the camera!!!
    And thank you for all the compliments, dear "other" family! I won't weigh until tomorrow....and then I'll lie!!!:noway:
    :smooched: Buzz

We would all love to look this good at 84! Our Buzz, on her birthday!

qEgYB.jpg
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good night to you all. I am off to bed early tonight as Neil has a Dr. appt. at 8:45 tomorrow morning. Not sure what I was thinking to agree to an appt. at that time!! It has been raining off and on all day but the garden is enjoying it. Lots of strawberries coming and flowers on the tomatoes. Everything else looks ok but a long time before produce will be ready.

Jeri -- Prayers for you. I hope the surgery goes well and you recover quickly.

Marie -- Prayers for a good report for your Jerry as well.

Sandy -- I forgot to say that Neil mentioned a card from my friend. Thank you so much. He loves getting mail.

Connie -- Thanks for enlarging that gorgeous photo of Buzz who looks like a million bucks!

Bada bing -- Welcome here. You asked about Saskatchewan. I live very close to Saskatoon. I also lived in Edmonton for several years way back in the day.

I must hit the hay. Have a nice start to the week. I will let you know how Neil's appointment goes.

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: buzz...you do look fantastic.

Off on another great workweek. Alarm goes off a 4:00 am and I drop off husband at work at 5:30. I am now in my office using company computer to read all your wonderful posts. I have til 8:00 to do this.:happy:
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Good morning sneakers, just putting in time before hitting the gym. Looks like a sunny day today, better close up the drapes to keep things cool. Rough sleep last night, felt as though an ever ending hot flash. Banged up my ankle badly at work, it keeps reminding me about it. I was at my site at BodyBuilding this morning and learned something I had been wondering about. I'll review it again later and take some notes. A good site for ladies who are as young as we and some beyond us. I shook my head after reading a lady of 68, commenting that she can lift 300 pounds at best now on a certain exercise. If I could lift my weight I would be happy!!

Forgot to weigh in yesterday, and today, mixed up in my days. I'll try tomorrow again.

As a health and safety representative, I must post this thought to all of you. When you are working with a knife in the kitchen, it gets knocked from the counter and skids to the edge of the counter threatening to drop to the floor. What do you do???

No you don't try to catch it no matter what your reflexes say! leave it drop, but clear the area of your feet or someone else in the same area. You will be able to retreive it safer after it has stopped moving.

My sister's son's wife was rushed to the hospital last night after doing just that, the knife was diverted from the floor and landed in her upper leg, rupturing an artery. Serious enough if she had been home alone, she could have bled to death. Noting when that injury happens the causualty is overcome by dizzyness and faints.

Have a safe and great day today ladies, be good to yourselves.

Marilyn
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Marilyn, you are right about what to do about the sliding knife. My 17 year old daughter is in chef training. She told me about this several months ago. They are taught to let the knife fall rather then try to catch it. She, then, forgot and grabbed one. Fortunately, it was a minor cut.
    I think if wonderful that you are going to work out this early. And I hope the weather holds out for you and that you have a wonderful day.

I am planning on a visit to the gym after work to use the weight machines. I did Zumba yesterday so today should be strength work.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    tHANKS cONNIE FOR ENLARGEING BUZZ LOvELY PICTURE. She looks like a movie star. I copy it to my computor Hope we are all around on your 85th Buzz But you got to tell your secret of looking so young. God bless you.

qEgYBbuzzat84MyMFPdriend.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!1 :bigsmile: It started out raining but the sun is trying to come out so it might be a great day after all. :flowerforyou:

Had to run an early morning errand so I am behind in everything and not sure I will get on the bike today. My back is bothering me a little so I think it is time to rest it again.

Buzz, I agree with everyone else, you look absolutely wonderful, what a beautiful woman you are. You certainly don't look 84, so I am not sure why you are complaining about any kind of wrinkles. :love: :love:

Marie, you also look wonderful so this healthy eating must be agreeing with all of us. Did you hear anything from the doctor about Jerry? Thinking positive thoughts. :heart: BTW, Mcdonalds soft serve ice cream in one of my weaknesses.

Becky, ouch for your daughter, knives wounds are so painful, even when just a nick. You are doing great with your exercise, keep up the good work.:drinker:

Marilyn, do you work for OSHA? Thank you for the helpful hints about the knife, sometimes our instincts take control but maybe this will help us stop and think.

Gayla, I know the feeling with early morning appointments, since we are both night owls. Hope all goes well with Neil.:bigsmile:

Connie, thanks for posting the picture of Buzz, but what about you? You also look terrific and should be proud. :love:

Buzz, I hope you are going to your granddaughter's wedding in Hawaii, do you need a companion?? :laugh:

Bada Bing, hope you haven't given up on us already. :tongue:

And although I doubt Jeri will be on the computer today, prayers are being sent for an easy surgery and fast recovery. We love you Jeri!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Today is wash day and rest day, I think I need to just chill today except for Daisy's walk later.

Have a good day!!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Continuing on with how great you look Buzz....do you have a secret? Like is there a product that you have found that helps? One thing I am finding is that the more weight I lose the more wrinkles I find.:laugh:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi Sneakers:

Back from mother in laws in Northern Ontario. About a five hour drive
    from home. We went with another couple so it was fun in the car
    and we had a lot of laughs.

My mother in law was pretty good, she is 85 now and still speaks her
    mind. Getting to the point of not always agreeing now just to be nice.
    Guess that is what happens when you have been going up to see her
    way before I was married and that is close to 40 years.
    I have been married 37 years now and I can say we never had an
    argument because I try to avoid it.

Anyway, the weather was cool and wet. Most of the weekend was wet.
    I did manage to catch a fish on Friday night. I went out in the boat with
    my hubbie and our friend Tom and I caught a bass casting. The guys got nothing.
    Yaaay Me! :bigsmile: My hubbie did get a bass the next morning larger than mine.
    Booo, him. :ohwell:

We did some shopping on Saturday and did way too much eating of the bad stuff.
    I gained this weekend. So now back to business and try to get down again before
    I go away for the week sailing. I will stay in touch before I go.

We bought folding bikes to take with us on the boat so we will be exercising everyday.

We have to pack this week and get food ready and all the things we need for the two
    parties on Friday and Saturday.
    I am taking my hubby's laptop so I can keep track of food and exercise.

Buzz: Love your pictures. My mother in law is 85 and doesn't look her age either.
    You look wonderful !!

Have a good Monday.
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    Hi everyone! Had a crazy busy weekend! AARGH! I hate it when I type for 10 minutes and then everything disappears :explode:

Did manage to get the exercise in Saturday, but not food logging. We helped our best friend's get ready for their oldest daughter's graduation party on Saturday. It was super important that it be special because the morning of her high school graduation party, her 69 year old grandmother, the picture of health & healthy eating & exercise, suffered a massive stroke :cry: We'd all been together the night before & I sat next to her on the couch and we had a glass of wine & watched the slideshow I'd done for the party. My friend went to the hospital, my husband & I became surrogate hosts, and as soon as the party was over her husband brought the two girls to the hospital to say goodbye. It was an awful day :cry: The party was wonderful on Saturday :smile: Even though the weather didn't cooperate and it rained for the first couple of hours, it stopped & her friends we able to set up their tents in the backyard, have a bonfire, & play bean bags. She is such a wonderful young woman, we love her and her sister as if they were our own. This week we a getting ready to leave for a week at the lake with them so we are scrambling to get ready. I'll try to get the logging in, but just know that even if I don't check in, I'm rooting for you all and I will do my best to stick to the straight and narrow :laugh: I made this fabulous, if I do say so myself :laugh: , salad for the party. It is my absolute favorite. I was going to put the recipe in, but it's kind of a pain to do recipes on mfp and I just haven't had time. I am going to scan all of the empty cans & bags as a meal, so don't panic when you see about a million calories in my diary :laugh: :laugh: It's so much easier than looking things up and trying to figure out which listing is most accurate. Gotta run now, laundry going, and then I decided I was going to drain the hot tub besides :noway: Later all.