Senior Golden Sneakers..........June, 2011

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Irene here is my e-mail to you Thought I would post it here for a very lovely lady

Sorry Irene , I did get Mariah story and thought I reply to it but no telling who i sent it to. it was a very beautiful story written and told by a vey talented person. What a creative person you are. i love reading it. and the pictures were amazing Mariah is very fortuatet you have you as a great Grandma. You are truly a very beloveable fairy. And all f us Sneakers are fortunate to have you with us. Such good spirits you have. Please wave you wand over me so I will stick to my diet. I feel like Sandy Your are truly an Angel. You can see it in your eyes. You have been very special to me since you first join us..... Love Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Shirley posted on May by mistake so I copied her post so you could read it. :bigsmile:

Hi Sneaker Ladies,

Its Friday and day off. This morning took hubby to the car dealership for his car to be fixed.
    Then at 10:00 am I have to get my hair cut and I will look beautiful again. wink

They are predicting rain today and all day tomorrow. sad

We are having a Renaming and Non-renaming Party at the sailing club on Saturday night.
    Renaming the boat name for our friends and non-renaming our boat because we like the name and
    are going to keep it. TOUCAN It is going to be just snacks and drinks. We invited my daughter and son in law
    and friends of ours who we hang with all the time. My other daughter can't make it because she will be
    just coming back from Edmonton that night for work. The other people will be members of the club.
    Should be fun drinker

This is where I have the most trouble losing weight is the boating summer season. All the parties and eating
    and drinking. So I am going to take my one plate and fill it and then through the plate away. No its not
    china noway Wish me luck!! I am down two pounds from last weekend. The trick is to keep going.
    I will be good today and hope to drop another soon. It s a roller coaster ride cry

Have a wonderful Friday and keep drinking that water and do some exercise.love

Shirley
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I know the question of whether to weigh daily comes up frequently, so I copied this from the Duke Diet & Fitness Center.
    Your Scale and You
    Unlike other plans that recommend weighing in weekly or less often, we advise you to weigh yourself daily.

"Daily?" you ask. Yes! Studies show that people who weigh themselves daily are more successful at long-term weight loss than those who weigh themselves weekly. Experts speculate that frequent weigh-ins remind you of your goals and help keep you motivated. At the Duke Diet & Fitness Center (DFC), we feel that an essential part of this daily weighing strategy is tracking your weight on a graph. A graph helps you to see the big picture: Rather than focusing on one day's number, you're looking at trends over several days, weeks, or months. There's nothing more motivating than seeing that line move downward over time!

This is the 3rd time I've lost my post, and discovered Comcast is having outages in my area (for a change:mad: ) so I won't redo the rest of my posts to all of you! I am fuming mad! Be well, and see you later!
    Buzz
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily so I guess it is o.k. Sometimes I do go nuts though when I don't like the numbers I see. Phyllis
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    I know the question of whether to weigh daily comes up frequently, so I copied this from the Duke Diet & Fitness Center.
    Your Scale and You
    Unlike other plans that recommend weighing in weekly or less often, we advise you to weigh yourself daily.

"Daily?" you ask. Yes! Studies show that people who weigh themselves daily are more successful at long-term weight loss than those who weigh themselves weekly. Experts speculate that frequent weigh-ins remind you of your goals and help keep you motivated. At the Duke Diet & Fitness Center (DFC), we feel that an essential part of this daily weighing strategy is tracking your weight on a graph. A graph helps you to see the big picture: Rather than focusing on one day's number, you're looking at trends over several days, weeks, or months. There's nothing more motivating than seeing that line move downward over time!

Buzz, thank you for sharing this........I have been weighing myself morning and evening for over two years and writing the weights down for over a year..........one thing it does is remind me that I have been successful as well as while I was losing weight, it reminded me that I wasn't at my goal and needed to continue my healthy habits.........yes, I noticed the trends rather than the individual weights......I noticed that sodium and peanut butter seemed to make my weight rise suddenly but that is was water weight or slow digestion of certain foods.......I never let the scale discourage me....just kept on doing what I was doing and expecting that the results would be good eventually.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers,

Woo hoo. I lost 2lb this week. I am not going to change my ticker though until Monday. I am still experimenting with my Friday and Monday weigh ins. I will update it on Monday, so wish me luck:drinker:

It was my day for looking after GD Isabel (no 2). She has a cold/cough so she was'nt feeling too good today. We sat on sofa and had lots of cuddles.:heart: So I have had a very lazy day.

I read Irene' Mariahs story. It was beautiful. I would highly recommend it:bigsmile: Thank you Irene.:flowerforyou:

Jeri, What fantastic news. So happy for you.:drinker: How is your poor little GS? You have all had a quite a day. Enjoy your break with you DH. You both deserve it:drinker:

Phyllis, What a lovely picture of you and your DD. I can only imagine how hot it is there. We went to Egypt 2 years ago in October, when it is meant to be cooler. It was so hot, I don't think I would survive in high season. I only did then because I was on the beach everyday. Loved it:bigsmile:

Sandy, Hope you got those pizza's delivered safely, otherwise I would'nt want to be in your shoes with 20 hungry chikdren.:laugh:

Connie, Poor Will. He's been through some tough times hey? I am sure he will do better now that you have a proper diagnosis. I agree with Sandy, he will help you in the long run, if you have to go on 2 long walks a day:wink: How did the night nosh go last night?

Becky, Those storms sound horrible, Stay safe. We had a mini tornado in my town today. I did'nt see or hear it, although my daughter did see it on her way home from school. I saw pictures of it and it looked scary. We never get them here so it was pretty shocking:frown:

Marie, I love your fairy. She is beautiful:bigsmile:

Barbie, Well done on NOT treating yourself in Costco. You are so strong:drinker:

Buzz, What a pain you keep losing your posts. Its so infuriating!:mad: I hope you get it sorted soon.
    When I weighed daily it affected my mood as to how I had done. Maybe I should try it again. It might keep me on the straight and narrow.:wink:

Wishing you all a very happy weekend.

Deb:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Happy_Birthday.jpg

Happy_Birthday.jpg

We have a june birthday this month guess who????????????????
    Buzz
    Buzz---June 24, 1927
    Lets not forget This is not a celebation just a reminder/ W will do that on the 24th.

If any one else has a birthday in June let us know.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all from sunny Saskatchewan. How much do I love summer?? No need to answer but it is a lot!! I read somewhere that watermelon in a good diuretic and what a great summer fruit it is. Summer is so short that we really have to enjoy all those ‘summer’ things. I didn’t get a chance to play in my yard today as we spent most of the day shopping. Of course I am not an early riser after being up half the night so as Dave says I waste most of the day. He is like Barbie and up at the crack of dawn. I used to feel guilty but now I don’t. I enjoy my late nights to myself and he enjoys his mornings.
    Neil is coming home tomorrow so that we can all celebrate his birthday. We used to always let the kids pick out where they want to go for dinner and then usually have cake at home. Now the other boys have partners to take them to dinner but we still gather everyone together to take Neil out and he always chooses the same restaurant and the same meal. It will be a sad day when the drop Teriyaki Chicken from their menu!!

I am not sure that I am ever going to get my yard work all done this year. I still have about about 7 planters to do on the deck and some beds to do some work in. I need to do a bit of transplanting and a lot of weeding. Some days I really wish we had a smaller yard. No, lots of days . . . !! It has really stirred up my back pain so I am off to the chiropractor on Tuesday. He is away until then. On the positive side the planters and beds that I have done are looking fresh and nice. A long time ago when I asked Dave to dig up just one more bed for me he gave me the look and clearly said no because I could hardly handle what I had. Even after assuring him that I could manage it he still refused so I had the kids dig it up for me. You know what, I really regret that decision but I haven’t told Dave that!! I don’t go looking for the I told you so look.

Irene – I have so enjoyed your recent posts and glad that you are feeling well enough to post again. You have a real grown up inside that little girl you call Mariah.

Becky – Be careful in that unsettled weather. I hope the storms pass soon.

Phyllis – I hope you got to enjoy your day of rest. It sounds like a nice rain shower would be a real treat for you. Does that happen very often this time of year?

Buzz – I enjoyed reading about the daily weigh ins. I tend to weigh in weekly but maybe daily would be a better idea. I know it certainly hasn’t hurt Barbie. I hope your computer stops misbehaving soon!
    :sad:
    Deb – Congratulations on the 2 pound loss!! What a wonderful accomplishment.:flowerforyou:

Shirley – Enjoy your weekend on the water. We hope to get our boat on the water this year so my husband works away getting it ready to go. Her name is Woodwind as it is a wooden boat and goes with the wind! We have some nice pictures over the years but I have no idea how to get them here. Perhaps this year we will get some new ones. The best ones are always taken by someone else when you are under sail. Many years ago Saskatchewan tourism used our boat for large travel posters. I thought we were going to get one but never did.

Barbie – Good job on avoiding the samples. Often they don’t taste very good anyway! That is a very early start to the day!!

Sandy – How did the pizza party go? You are a great Grandma.

Connie – Sorry about your dog. I expect it is not easy to go through dieting with a dog. It is nice that you have a good reason to get out and walk a couple of times a day. Sometimes we will do something for someone else that we don’t choose to do for ourselves. Proud of myself that I finally beat you in Mahjong!!! I am sure not for long. :explode:

Jeri – How did today go? Missed hearing from you. I hope the little guy is feeling better.

Marie – Wow! It sounds like your garden is doing great this year. Before long you will be enjoying fresh produce that you grew at home. I love that feeling. Before long I will be picking berries in my yard to make some jelly. I have a jar or two left from last year but it will be gone soon. I am the biggest jam eater so now that I rarely am eating it I guess it will last longer. :laugh:

I know I have missed some of you. Sorry if it was you but I will catch you next time I venture to do a long post. Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Take care. Gayla:heart::heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Your Scale and You

I feel the same. I have found that if I weigh daily then I know quickly if I need to be more careful.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I found gayla bright and early this morning. her Jam sounds great. but really a nono for me. What kind of berries do you have? I got 5 blackberries plants growing. they said it takes a couple years to get any fruit. I got a couple berries , In the meantime I am ejoying the grocer stores blacberried and keep froen ones on hand.riding shotgun on these birds just daring them, to get them. I never made jam before and no used learning now. I would like to learn to canned taco sauce without a lot of salt. I do love the turkey tacos without the tortilla just used shredded lettuce. using olive oil and couple T o f taco sauce for dressing. Still gettin more salt than I need
    and tomatoes. Going to see if Jerry will take me to a farm next week to get some fresh berries. in a little town east of us. Need to make a run by Kathy to get some Squash I hope Walmart has some nice peaches they had last year. They were so good. Its is getting peaches time. Here in texas.

well I ramble on enought better get my walk in While there is still shade on the side street. Love 'ya :heart: Marie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Swissmiss: I weigh everyday too, I used to never weigh at all and then get on scale. Pretty scary thing:tongue:
    Now I can see the number and it really keeps me motivated and if I am up I know what I ate
    the day before and then I adjust for weightloss.

Thanks Sandy, I have to delete the other post which is 50+ ladies, I am mixing up the two. Thanks for catching that.

Looks like rain again today but so far nothing. I took my car to the car wash now for sure it will rain. :cry:

Last night went out for dinner with sister and brother in law and ate 10 chicken wings, and had one
    Sangria:drinker: Needles to say, I didn't track dinner even though I was good all day. :bigsmile:

Tonight Renaming and Non-renaming of boats party. Should be fun and again trying to be good all day
    so I can indulge a little. :drinker:

Did my 35 min. walk this morning and now downing my water all day.

Have a wonderful day ladies and enjoy!!!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! Gloomy cool day here, :grumble:
    Marisa will be coming shortly so her mom can work on the auction signs, she will most likely be here all day so I am thinking we will have to go somewhere to pass the time. I might take her to Medieval Times this afternoon, just not sure it will be as much fun with just the two of us. Maybe a movie might be better, I will let her decide. :tongue:

Shirley, you didn't post on the wrong post, just the wrong month. :laugh: I hope the day clears up for your renaming and Non-naming party. Have fun but keep the scale in mind. :tongue:

Marie, you are a true gardener, I have only potted flowers with no vegetables. I did plant some flowers in my circle under my gas light out in front but that is the extent of my planting skills. I would love to help you with the taco sauce but I am not a cook either, guess my skills are with my computer. Speaking of, I went and looked at an Apple computer yesterday and although I feel in love with it, I will not spend that kind of money. I will be getting a new PC, and will be thrilled.

Becky, I weigh in daily in fact twice like Barbie does. I find it keeps me honest and it helps me keep focused.

Gayla, wish I had known it was Neils birthday, I just sent him a hi card but didn't say happy birthday. I bet he loves being with the family and visa verse. Just to clarify, hubby and I only picked up the pizza's we didn't buy them. My DIL always goes over the top for her daughter's birthday parties, this one was a swim party. The kids loved it and had a great time so I guess it is worth it if you can afford to do these things. :tongue:

Would all you who aren't on our birthday list please tell us when your birthday's are. We like to make your day a little special with birthday graphics, I will add the link to the birthday list on my signature so you can check to see if you are there.

Deb, Congratulations!!! Terrific Job!! Great accomplishment on losing 2 pounds!! Feels so good!!!
    Hope your Gd is feeling better and you got to have fun with her.:wink:

Barbie, you do know you are one of our role models don't you? You keep us all focused on our journey and we know that you did it and you stay with it, so we all want to be like you. :heart:

Phyllis, love your new profile picture.:love:

Buzz, I hate computer problems and just found out my desktop bit the dust. Trying to decide what to replace it with without spending $4k. I do a lot of DVD work including transferring home movies to DVD, so I need a good desktop. My son said Dell is having problems but I do love the Dell computers. Of course Apple is fabulous but so pricey.

Just found out Marisa won't be here until later, so I have the day to myself. :bigsmile: She will be here in time for Mass later.

Have a great Saturday!!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Sandy said:
    Connie,I don't remember the posting of Will being bitten by a snake, but what an awful experience. 50 pounds is a lot of weight to lose for a dog, heck even for a human. When our dogs were over weight we supplemented lettuce with their dog food to fill them up. Also gave them carrots for treats instead of regular treats. It worked and they lost weight. With the vet wanting Will to go on 2 1/2 walks a day, your weight will be coming off also. Now stay away from those night treats, eat a carrot.
    Sandy - Will was bitten in the chin by a copperhead last July. That was before I was on MFP. He swelled up like a balloon and his red blood cell count dropped to an almost critical level. Poor guy. He was in doggie hospital for a few days on IVs and then on steroids.

We now know his condition goes back several years and if it had been diagnosed then, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. Apparently his system was able to handle it until the steroids kicked everything out of whack. When Will was being treated for the snake bite he weighed around 85 pounds - which was overweight. Since then he has gained 30 pounds and is at 114 - almost twice what the standard is for a male adult Afghan hounds.

So far, so good. He has not been driving me crazy begging for treats, he is tolerating the two, 1/2 mile walks each day and taking his pills like a good boy. It may be wishful thinking but he seems to be a bit more alert and active. We're hoping to see a 10 pound weight loss by July 7. Cross your fingers. If that's the case, he may be back down to a tolerable weight level by the end of summer.

And I wish he would eat carrots. He's getting 1/2 cup of Wellness Super X Large Dog formula kibble in the morning and a half can of green beans mixded with 1 cup of the Wellness in early evening. That dog food is $2.00 a pound. Yikes.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Well, I seem to have the internet back; I was so upset yesterday trying to figuer out what was wrong I completely forgot my manicure appointment until she called! I muffed it for sure, and it wasn't anything I could control since the service kept going out! They are constantly expanding down here, and I have no choice since they supply my entire area! I'll try again!

I put together a slightly different omelette this morning and it was so delicious, I'll describe it here!
    sautee...1/4 c chopped onions
    1/4 c chopped tomato...till slightly brown
    Add about a cup of washed spinach leaves
    Cover 0n medium until leaves are wilted. Remove to plate and cover.
    Beat together 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites with a touch of your favorite seasoning (salt-free?)
    Add to pan with a smear of olive oil or your preferred fat.
    Swirl till almost set.
    Add vegetables and 1 oz lower fat/sodium cheese to 1/2 of the egg
    FOLD over, cover until set...about a minute. Then just enjoy!

PHYLLIS: so do I weigh every day. I'm delighted when it shows even a 1 once drop!

BARBIE, whatever it is you do, it has certainly worked for you...and Jake! I wish I could be as disciplined!

DEB...congrats on losing 2 whole pounds! I'm jealous. And your post brought me more up-to-date on what's been happening here! Thanks! And so far today, my computer hasn't crashed!:noway:

MARIE: I'm blushing,but how lovely! I'll pretend I didn't see it! (Thanks ahead of time) Did I mention my son and his daughter from Kailua HI are coming down to help me celebrate? Someone give me hints on how to spend 3 days with a lovely 23 year old
    who has lived in Paradise and Germany, and her Dad who must lose 100 pounds :huh: :happy:

GAYLA...A happy birthday to Neil, and many more!:flowerforyou: I think DAve was a huge help innot adding to your beds, especially when your back is not the greatest! Be careful, dear gal! Again, your post helped me catch up on a lot I've missed.

BECKY, I guess quite a few of us control through daily weighing. I know others do not agree, and it's whatever works, right?

MARIE: I recall making tacos without the shells by using romaine lettuce leaves instead. You just remended me how much I loved them! As for the sauce, Iwonder if that website I entered a couple of days ago might have a recipe that's low sodium.
    www.lowsodiumcooking.com

SHIRLEY, did you weigh in after the chicken wings and Sangria? I'm so afraid of wings I haven't enjoyed them for years now! And they're so delicious :ohwell: The walk should help!

SANDY, I wish you luck choosing your new computer! You are so knowledgeable! Everyone who has Apple adores it, though the security advantage seems to be closing in, and hackers find them now just as easily as Windows! Have you ever gone to www.komando.com to look up Kim Komando's thoughts on computer questions? I receive her daily newsletters, and usually find helpful information; sometimes TOO much! I used to listen to her Saturday programs, but my local station moved it to Sundays now! I never went to classes for computers, just learned most stuff from listening to Kim and Practising! Glad you got an unexpected free day. You deserve it! (You are also one of our role models :drinker: )

IRENE: I wrote 2 lost posts to you, but ditto everyone else's admiration! You are a survivor, dear lady! And speaking of role models...:flowerforyou:
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    SANDY; that's a terrific service to all of us...that link and list keeping track of birthdays you have at the bottom of your posts! Thank you, if I haven't said so before! :love:

CONNIE, just saw your sad tale about Afghans with problems that shouldn't happen! However, looking at the brighter side, you will probably be helped by his walks of necessity every day. Although you already burn calories like crazy! :drinker:

Buzz
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi Sneaker PALs ALL OF YOU!:flowerforyou:
    My nephew was here in Cairo today and I picked him up at 8:30 and we were together all day until 8:30.:smile:
    First brought him to our house and my husband made him a typical Egyptian breakfast ( he is a great breakfast cook) then, :wink:
    Went to the Egyptian Museum,:happy:
    then to the pyramids, :tongue:
    and came home and had dinner :smile:
    then went out shopping for gifts for his children and wife. :happy: I picked up several things that people have asked me to bring them also so killed two birds with one stone. LOL:laugh:

He just happened to get assigned to come to Egypt for a week for his work. Lucky me to get to show him around for the day.It was his only day off while he is here. :wink:
    NOW I am BUSHED!! and I keep falling asleep even as I type but wanted to say I have read all the posts of late and enjoyed everyone. :yawn:
    Each one of you make me smile and chuckle and I love learning more and more about your lives and what you do in you special parts of the world.
    and NO it doesn't typically Rain in Egypt EVER! we get less than 10% annual rain fall. It is a dry HOT place to live and I was sweating a lot today. Hopefully I sweated of a pound or two. :wink:
    Now to bed I go! I like to sleep early and get up early! I love the quiet mornings while my husband sleeps away!!!:bigsmile:
    Good night ladies!!! Phyllis:flowerforyou:
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    PHYLLIS, what is a typical Egyptian breakfast? Any ideas we can incorporate here? I get tired of no inspiration!
    Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    EVERYONE: I just emailed Sandy'sbirthday list to myself, and when it arrived I dragged it to my desktop icons so I have it on hand at the beginning of each month. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.!:ohwell:
    Buzz
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. It is a little cloudy today but very comfortable, no complaints. Just wanted to tell you I dropped 2.2 pounds today. Yippee! My ticker only changes 1 pound as I hadn't changed it when I started back on program. One pound or two pounds, just happy it is going in the right direction.

Sandy -- it doesn't matter if you spend money, it is spending the time that makes you a great Grandma. I get what you are saying about the birthday parties getting excessive, like buying friends. When my boys were young I used to tell them they could have as many friends as they were old. So when they were 5 they had 5, etc I don't remember it being an issue but also they didn't have a wide circle of friends but instead a fewer # of close friends that they have taken with them into their adult lives. I admire that in them. I think because I moved far from home I lost contact with all my childhood friends. Recently, a couple of very old friends have found me and it was great to catch up. Wow! Where did that come from?! By the way, don't worry about the birthday card for Neil. He is thrilled to get mail and I appreciate it more than you know. Thank you.

I guess I will watch The Bounty Hunter with Neil for a bit (at least until I doze off). Have a great day. Gayla:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Yeah for the great lost. Gayla. You are going to fo just fine. We all are.

Happy birthday to Neil.
    To hot to cook today. had taco salad i made up yesterday. May have it for supper too. Sammy likes it too. . We are getting pretty good at walking now. Sammy cut his foot somehow but is getting around much better now.Waiting for the shade to get on our side street. for another walk.