What Do You Think of the "Free to Be Hairy" Movement

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    Well not in this thread they haven't - although the attitudes to women have been expressed several times.

And interesting that men can do nothing ie be their natural un hair removed bodies, but women cannot.

Natural men are ok but we want to glorify artificial concepts of beauty for women.

so there's nothing wrong with fat gross dudes who can only grow a neckbeard then eh?

but there is. everybody makes fun of them. rightly so. just google neckbeard meme.

and women can do anything they want. if you or anybody wants to grow their leg/armpit hair out 6 feet long, knock yourself out, nobody can/will stop you. but its not what most guys want. most women would look at you as aberrant as well if you did I'd think.

Trying to change societal standards of what most heterosexual men want by growing your leg hair out is the same as hardcore christians believing they can "pray away the gay".

its not going to happen.

I know for myself, I'm not trying to change what guys want. What I'm trying to change is the negative attitude thrown at women who don't shave (even those who just skip a day are judged).

instead of trying to change other people's attitudes maybe the answer is to stop caring what they think and then it has no power over you anyway
    Maybe you should read through the thread and see what I've already said before you talk. It's like you intentionally ignore things just to get someone upset, I'll no longer engage you and your crowd. I already don't care what they think of me, I'm confident, comfortable in my own skin. I care that they (men AND women) think it's okay to treat women poorly and criticize them for making a choice that doesn't align with societal expectations, because IT IS NOT.
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Well not in this thread they haven't - although the attitudes to women have been expressed several times.

And interesting that men can do nothing ie be their natural un hair removed bodies, but women cannot.

Natural men are ok but we want to glorify artificial concepts of beauty for women.

so there's nothing wrong with fat gross dudes who can only grow a neckbeard then eh?

but there is. everybody makes fun of them. rightly so. just google neckbeard meme.

and women can do anything they want. if you or anybody wants to grow their leg/armpit hair out 6 feet long, knock yourself out, nobody can/will stop you. but its not what most guys want. most women would look at you as aberrant as well if you did I'd think.

trying to change societal standards of what most heterosexual men want by growing your leg hair out is the same as hardcore christians believing they can "pray away the gay".

its not going to happen.
    Huh. Got your number.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    No thanks
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Picture and some of the message board posts regarding a woman on Survivor in 2010.

cf3369bc5e2c4fa83a57e46cba95d05218223668.pjpg

"Couldnt she have lasered it off or something? I thought I remember one of the ladies talking about it pre-show about how they had everything lasered off so it wouldnt grow back as fast?"

" None of the other girls had that *kitten*. She is just nasty in every way. I bet she has rank B.O. as well."

"*barfs*"

Yep. It is a NON Issue that NO ONE cares about

rollingeyesanim_large.gif

I think, and I could be wrong here, but I think that when people are saying "no one cares" they are using hyperbole. It would seem that no matter what the issue, you will be able to find internet comments from people complaining about it. I have seen people complain about rescuing puppies. AND EVERYONE LOVES PUPPIES (more hyperbole).

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »

Trying to change societal standards of what most heterosexual men want by growing your leg hair out is the same as hardcore christians believing they can "pray away the gay".

its not going to happen.

I know for myself, I'm not trying to change what guys want. What I'm trying to change is the negative attitude thrown at women who don't shave (even those who just skip a day are judged).

instead of trying to change other people's attitudes maybe the answer is to stop caring what they think and then it has no power over you anyway

Exactly....YOU DO YOU, I'll do ME!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Shave da who who at least.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    edited May 2016
    "Hairy armpits are a path to the Neo feminist side . Hairy leads to pain , pain leads to anger . anger leads to hate , hate leads to suffering "- Yoda - From the movie - The clone feminist wars . ...........Next sequal - Return of the woman, balance restored .
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    What a lively conversation Ive started
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    madonna22f-1-web.jpg
    katherine-anne-true.jpg
    armpit-hair-trend-women-equality-3__605.jpg
    Rebel-Female-Models-Support-Armpit-Hair-1.jpg

Disgusting!!!
  • Steam_Powered_Awesome
    Steam_Powered_Awesome Posts: 301 Member
    I hate body hair to such a extreme that I shave my arms so no I couldn't do it. But to each their own
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Meh. If we as a society has said we have to be mum about Caitlin Jenner pretending to be a woman or else you're a something-phobe, then why is it anybody's business if you have hair on your pits or not? Why is this even a conversation.

He'll always be Bruce to me. And if I see him on the street, I'll say " Hi Bruce." Yes I will.

LOL@ this being flagged
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member

trying to change societal standards of what most heterosexual men want by growing your leg hair out is the same as hardcore christians believing they can "pray away the gay".

its not going to happen.

Yes but the point isn't what heterosexual men prefer but the fact that this is so ingrained in western cultures as an artificial standard of beauty. Men don't just prefer something in a vacuum - it is a cultural expectation developed over the last century in our culture.
    Other cultures and other times ( in fact just about every culture and times except ours) have not expected women to have hair less legs or armpits.
    And it goes way beyond just having your own preference - eg the post just after this discussion showing the photos and saying 'disgusting'
    Why is the natural female body disgusting?

• eque_price
    eque_price Posts: 32 Member
    I would love to do it although I feel much cleaner when they are shaved. I think it looks better shaved, but thats probably societies years of brain washing. Deep down I figure if men don't shave why should we? Only fair. It would take some getting used to but eventually I would be game.