Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @grandmakaye44 - I just read this article by the New York Times, http://tbtpics.tampabay.com/news/health/scientists-track-biggest-loser-contestants-and-discover-how-hard-the-body/2275563
    which I think very succinctly tells us why it is so hard to maintain weight loss. It explains a lot. There's a lot more research to be done but the information gathered for this study certainly does make you think, and takes away some of the shame people feel when they gain back the weight they fought so hard to lose. I think the moral to the story is that forewarned is forearmed - if you know what to expect, you can adjust and be more vigilant. We all have times when we say to ourselves - "well, I can take a little break, I'm doing well and I know how to eat, I don't have to track everything to maintain or lose". Before we know it, the weight starts creeping back and suddenly, 10 or 15 pounds show back up on the scale.

We had some more crazy weather here in central TX this weekend, a suspected tornado whipped through my neighborhood. I was extremely lucky, minor damage to my car and riding tractor mower. The neighbors across the street had half the house smashed by a fallen tree - thank God it was the kitchen half, not the sleeping half, since it happened at 4 in the morning! All are ok but the house is a loss, and they just moved into it (rental) about 2 months ago, so now they have to move again. Thankfully I have insurance that will cover some of the damage to the car and tractor, and an adjuster is coming out on Friday to assess the roof to see if it was damaged at all. I told them I wasn't about to climb up there and look at it!

Didn't get to have my MRI after all on Friday, I couldn't remember if I had radiation seed implants or not when I went through the breast cancer radiation, so they made me reschedule until I could verify with my doctor's office. Now it's scheduled for this coming Friday. I just want to know if it's going to heal or not!

I'm involved in a Christian group at work and we're organizing a National Day of Prayer activity in our workplace on May 5th. 2 shifts, day and evening. There's a day group and a night group, but it seems like our night group has done 90% of the prepwork for the activity. I personally made 10 wreaths to give as door prizes and as guest gifts to our speakers, and got a donation from Sam's Club ($25 gift card) and arranged for a speaker from my church. My co-worker got almost all the decorations out of her own pocket as well. I feel like the day shift has been sitting on their hands this whole time! Still, what's important is that the NDOP goes well and hopefully a few people will be moved. It's the first time I've participated, so I'm nervous.

Still teetering in the mid 190's, tho I did get to the gym twice this week so that's a big win for me.

Later all,
    Tracy
    TX
  • DarthSamson
    DarthSamson Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    going I can tornado proof your home
    ask your insurance agent what would it cost to insure your house for 10 times its value in case of tornado loss only

then buy the policy

tornados will be alerted in their monthly newsletter

they will stay like 5 miles away

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Tracy (TX)~We’ve had some wild weather in north central TX too, hate Spring weather in Texas—the weather is so unpredictable. :expressionless: I’m sorry for the damage you do have but glad it’s not serious and that you and your DH are okay, sorry for the damage your neighbors endured though—amazing how it can take out one house and leave the one next door alone. So random. Hope you have an answer soon on your shoulder injury.

@Laurie ~Congrats on another successful tri, I knew you could do it! :smile:

@Karen and @Laurie ~Have you seen today’s Google Doodle? It’s cute—Happy Teacher's Day! :smiley:

AFM~Not much to report and its a busy day/week. I’m on vacation (sort of) beginning Monday for two weeks while I attend a required 80-hour course to sit for the software certification exam I’ve been preparing for since January—exam is two weeks from Friday. I picked up the manual yesterday. Eek! So I’ll be here intermittently until after the exam.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Teacher Day!

” Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels.” ~Author unknown

11857432.png

Tom
  • GOINSTD12
    Options
    going I can tornado proof your home
    ask your insurance agent what would it cost to insure your house for 10 times its value in case of tornado loss only

then buy the policy

tornados will be alerted in their monthly newsletter

they will stay like 5 miles away

@darthsamson - ha ha that's a good one! Thanks for the giggle! Love the handle and your profile pic, btw!

@kah68 - yes, TX has it's challenges for sure, but the very short mild winters here in Central TX are really nice. But TX is such a big state, sometimes it's easy to forget how many different climates there are here - when it's mild in Central TX it can be snowy and icy in northern TX and downright toasty in South TX.
  • becbec777
    becbec777 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    :) wishing everyone a great day Tommorrow.
  • bromma
    bromma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi
  • Morgori
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Intergalactic Star Wars Day!

” People say that losing weight is no walk in the park. When I hear that I think, yeah, that's the problem.” ~Chris Adams

11857432.png

Tom
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Morgori wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Intergalactic Star Wars Day!

” People say that losing weight is no walk in the park. When I hear that I think, yeah, that's the problem.” ~Chris Adams

11857432.png

Tom
    May the 4th be with you!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hi ... it's Wednesday Wish day, and I wanted to wish a good day everyone.

I ended up keeping my MFP account up and running as it is a paid membership that doesn't run out until the end of summer ... and have been faithfully logging my food even when it is double what it should be. Decided to pop in here for a spell.

I'm right there with you who are working on new and strong resolve to get healthy and slimmer. For me, it's always been a losing battle at the losing weight end of things, that's why I ended up over 100 heavier after 30 years of yo-yo dieting ... you know, lose 10 pounds and gain back 15 over and over again. Well, I have had success losing as much as 30 pounds before it stalled and maintaining started to slide, but that last loss in 2014 is starting to wear away for me as well. It's hard to know how much of it is retaining excess fluid from the edema I'm afflicted with and how much of it is from true weight gain. I've gained over 5 pounds in the last 48 hours, and another 5 pounds in the 7 days before that. I struggled with maintaining my weight loss during all of 2015 and and am so disgusted that recent events are wiping out the losses I had to put me near to the beginning point all over again.

There's a doctor appointment coming up in about a week and I'm really needing to talk to him about what has been going on these past 5 months with me. I have a fear that it's my ticker wearing out.

Hopefully, the next time I pop in to say hello I'll be much more bright and cheery and have some good news to report. Until till then, I'm still trying (unsuccessfully) to
    Follow Through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

It has been another busy week so far and it is only Wednesday. I still have a few more busy nights to get things done.

It is great to see everyone coming back and checking in.

Kaye- I know you will find your way back. It is hard to believe some of the grands are ready to graduate high school.

Texas friends- glad you are safe the storms.

Tom- I love your posting on what the theme of the day is, it helps to keep me current.

Must run still have one more thing to do before going to bed.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Sorry I haven't had time to post-- it's been a crazy, busy week. Monday, my AP Lit colleague lost her father unexpectedly to a heart attack. She had to leave school suddenly with no sub plans and our AP exam was today. I made her sub plans, and then started each of her AP classes Tuesday so her students could ask any final questions prior to the test. Fortunately, another colleague was open to watch my juniors while I did this. It all worked out, and her students seemed set for the exam.

I saw my students after the test today, and they seemed to think it went okay-- we will all find out when scores are released in July. Now, it's just an easy ride to graduation for them. We do one final unit on moral theory-- basically, a sampling of different philosophies-- and then we watch the movie Up and analyze all of the characters' decisions based on the theories. It's a lot more fun than it sounds. LOL

@laurie-- great job on your tri!

@niki-- nice to see you check in. I hope you get some positive news from your doctor.

@tracy-- glad you and kelley weathered the storms. Loved samson's suggestion about insurance. LOL

@kaye-- great to see you again too!

Hello to all of the newlings and anyone I missed in personals. :smile:

@kah-- yes, the google doodle was very cute! Unfortunately, Teacher Appreciation Week means lots of extra treats around the office which makes it hard for me to stay on track. Today was cake, yesterday a student brought me fudge. I ate a tiny piece of the fudge, then put it out to share. I ate a decent sized piece of chocolate cake today. Oh, and Monday the booster club gave us free bottles of Naked Juice smoothies. Delicious, but 180 calories is a lot for something with no alcohol. LOL

@darthsamson, ushkii, & tom-- May the 4th be with you!!

lpscomd8sdo3.jpg

Wednesday Wish:
    That I could get it together with my food intake. For whatever reason, I have been insatiably ravenous the past few days. Even when I log and can see I've eaten plenty of calories, my stomach still growls as if I haven't eaten in days. Not sure what that's all about. On the bright side, I finally made it back to the gym yesterday. It wasn't the best workout I've ever had, but it was better than nothing.

Grading Goals:
    1. 41/41 AP essays DONE
    2. x/20 Persuasive speeches
    3. x/59 Junior Research Papers

Fitness Goals for the month of May:
    Visit gym minimum of 8 times 1/8
    Run at least 25 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    148 k done/ 852 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner NOT DONE (rain)
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE
    Thurs-- rest day
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    4th.jpg 48.3K
  • GOINSTD12
    Options
    Hi @becbec777, @DarthSamson , @moodybear2003 & @bromma, welcome! We are glad you stopped by, and hope you return often to get to know us and receive lots of support. If I missed any other newbies, well welcome even if I did miss you. You can bookmark this thread by marking the star in the upper right corner of the page across from the name of the thread, then when you want to come back and check in, just click on the star in the upper right of the community tab and it will show you the threads you've favorited. When you click on the thread, it will bring you back to the last post you read.

Wednesday wish, that my Misfit would work right. Just got a replacement and it's already glitching! Sorry Misfit, won't be recommending you to anyone, even though your customer service is great!

Not much to report here. Driving a rental for the next few weeks while my car is repaired (approx. $4000 damage), the shop said they got 26 new cars to repair in the last 3 days because of the storm last weekend. No surprise there!

Tracy
    TX
  • DarthSamson
    DarthSamson Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    drive it like ya stole it
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in a while, mostly because ive been recouping from the neck/shoulder strain. I think it's finally on its way out. Haven't been sleeping soundly, even with the muscle relaxer. Just so much stress this weekend. My niece got into a car accident and has been back and forth to the hospital. She wasn't wearing her seatbelt and was ejected. Landed on her butt and skidded. Lacerations from butt to knee, like she got combed with razor blades. She has learned her lesson, and also one about sneaking out with older boys at 3 am...

I haven't worked out, but I've been watching my food. I'll get back into the swing of things this weekend.
  • Morgori
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

” My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people.” ~Orson Welles

11857432.png

Tom
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Just a quick check-in. Still just maintaining. May and June are looking pretty crazy so I am going to have to figure out how to do better in spite of the crazy. Water aerobics will start when the pool opens, usually as soon as school is out.
    @Tracy(tx) Thank you for the article. It will be interesting to see what science is able to do with that information. Glad you are getting your car fixed and have survived the storms.
    @Lori and @Karen I know that you are looking forward to school being out. I am too. May 23 will be the last day I have the kiddos for the summer. I will probably have for an hour or two here and there during the summer, but I am really looking forward to the break.
    The old carpet is out and most of the painting is done. The carpet layers will be here tomorrow morning. I'm really looking forward to this project being done. When you do things yourself, they sure do drag out!
    Have a great day.
    Onward and downward, Kaye
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You ever eat a whole bag of trail mix then log it and think, "Darn I could have had a BigMac!"
    I am having a hard time staying under my calories, the mornings are good, oatmeal for breakfast, usually a soup for lunch but then I get home and something seems to happen and we go out to eat or what the wife makes something that is too good for me to restrain myself.

Walking is off and on as my hip is starting to brother me again. I was good for a couple weeks maybe one then it started again. I really just need to drop some pounds and I bet it will get better.

I am glad to see new comers and happy the oldies are still around. Sad to read of some trials in your lives and excited about grand kids and happier times reported. This is a great group but I am too lazy to be here as much as I want to.

I think this long drawn out battle with my weight is harder on me than I want to believe. Stress is part of life but it seems like I am trying to do a lot of change lately and nothing is changing.

Boo Hoo.

Well it is taco day or something like that so I bet since I am over my calories for the day we will have to got get some nachos or taco something with sour cream toping it.

Wish me luck.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ushkill ... Yep, been in that boat. Last week I ate whole wheat Sun Chips ... all 7 servings in one day from that bag ... and when I was done I thought "Darn, I could of had a bag of Lays".

The hard thing I've been dealing with lately is being fine as long as I don't eat anything, but once food has entered my body it seems to scream for more within an hour or two instead of the 3-4 that I plan on. I think it might have something to do with that bag of Sun Chips.

Stress ... while a part of life ... is something that will kill you quicker than being overweight if you let it get the better of you! Ease up and work on ONE thing at a time ... just keep adding one thing on top of the other one thing you have done when you are golden with the old one-thing.

Mexican Food ... it's May 5th after all. Where I live we don't have a lot of authentic Mexican restaurants but we do have a pretty good fast food joint called Mighty Taco. My dinner from there tonight was a Steak Fajita on a whole wheat wrap, half a side of refried beans, half a side of mexican rice, and half a side of guacamole. The guac was too salty, but everything else made me feel like I was totally honoring the tradition of celebrating independence day Mexican style. ... if I had a family to cook for, I would have prepared a traditional meal in my own kitchen.
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm back here at MFP after 27 months away. I'm ready to do some good work, and start out slow. This week I am just going to log everything, get back into measuring everything I eat, and focus on becoming aware and present.

I am waaaaay under my calories for today but that is not something I intended. I sometimes practice weekly fasting and I respond well to it (in terms of feeling good; it doesn't seem to speed up weight loss for me) so if I am under my calorie goal by more than 300 on any given day, I will count it as my fasting day for that week.

I have 156 pounds to lose. It's been worse. I'm 47 and I'm not here to look better in fashionable clothes or be thin on my wedding day, I'm here to save my life and reduce back, knee, ankle, and foot pain. Maybe sometime I will look better in fashionable clothes, and maybe I will be thin on my 20th wedding anniversary in August of 2017, which would be nice perks, but those things aren't driving me.

My biggest challenge is activity. I am sedentary by nature, and now by physical limitations and pain. I know how to lose weight dieting, but I don't know how to approach exercise. I have a treadmill but tiny gods above and below I hate using it.

I'm very glad MFP is still here.