WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, my sanity keepers!
    More people descending, more Big Fat Wedding madness!
    Rehearsal today should be amusing. Poor officiant, it will be like herding cats.
    Wearing a fifties style dress crinoline slip peeking out. A bit girlish for my age perhaps. Hope I won't look ridiculous.

Karen in Virginia

Noo, you look youthful! I LOVE the petticoat/dash of color. :heart:
    Larisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

ketonekaren- LOVE the dress AND the shoes!! very cutie looking!

Kirby called the place about the bill for my pt. says we don't owe anything. told him to have them say that in writing to back it up, it will be mailed. now that we don't owe anything, Kirby is having some samples mailed to the house for me to look at. anner I'm actually the decorator of the two of us, he just likes having nice things and keeping them nice. I made him admit that he wanted to do the awning and curtains so he could show off, "lookie what I've got" when we go to the MS ride this September. he admitted it, lololol. he said if this is going to be my home, I want it to stand out! has a point I guess.

speaking of the MS ride, he already reached his minimum $250 to ride and they sent him a long sleeve shirt for his efforts and he showed me and asked if I wanted one, I told him I have to raise my $230 first. I had only $20 that I had raised, when I got home from work he showed me my MS donation page and said, look, you raised your $250!! now you're gonna get a shirt. he put $$ in there. I told him that was cheating, I didn't raise it, he didn't care, he wanted me to have that shirt too. nice man.

I had written an email to the ms society and cc'd my email. it was meant to be a surprise in case they did do something for him. the fart accidentally got into my email and read it, surprised ruined :0( but he did thank me for writing it and had a tear in his eye.:

========================
    hello,

I just wanted to share with you something that happened with one of this organizations most dedicated riders. Kirby Schlotterback,. my husband was hit by a car while riding his bike home from the Tacoma dome bus station. that was on 11/4/15. I was getting over my shoulder surgery as well and wasn't cleared to ride the bike yet. he had extensive injuries and was in the hospital and rehab for 17 days. with all the injuries he sustained, he was told he may need to retire early. he was hit on the right side, went into the windshield and was thrown about 20-30 feet.

He has developed central cord syndrome that has left him feeling tingly and numb from the neck down. developed a condition called "frozen shoulder" and is still going to physical rehab. He has gotten back on the bike (not the one he got hit with, that had to be trashed, not safe for riding) since he got cleared to this January. After, 6 fractured ribs, fractured clavicle, fractured hip, spleen issue among other things, I wanted to let you know that Kirby has been doing this ride for close if not more than 20 years now. we plan on being there this September as usual but we will see how far he will be able to ride. he wants to at least be able to get to deception pass (other times we've done the longer distances) and may or may not be able to ride the 2nd day (we usually always ride the 2nd day).

There are so many riders that do this ride but I wanted to let you know you have a truly dedicated person that loves this ride and looks forward to it every year. He wants to retire in about 5 years and we'll be moving back to California in our Airstream but talks about coming out here to do the ride every year after we're gone.

It would mean the world to him (and me) if he got some sort of recognition for his continued efforts for this cause.

Thanks.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    IrishTerri: WELCOME BACK! :flowerforyou: A Golden Wedding Anniversary in July is amazing. Congratulations! :heart:

Heather: My laptop is 7 years old, too! It is amazing how often we seem to have random things in common. I have no plans to change at this point. Mine is a Mac, and our son helped us add memory last summer, so it is still doing just fine. I looked at a new one earlier this year and the sales person at the Apple store said that there was no reason to replace it. Music to my ears! :bigsmile:

Dr. Katie: I don't believe that arthritis is made worse by exercise. I think your friends are misguided. This is from CDC.gov, "Long gone are the days when health care providers told people with arthritis to “rest their joints.” In fact, physical activity can reduce pain and improve function, mobility, mood, and quality of life for most adults with many types of arthritis including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and lupus. Physical activity can also help people with arthritis manage other chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. Most people with arthritis can safely participate in a self-directed physical activity program or join one of many proven programs available in communities across the country. Some people may benefit from physical or occupational therapy. Watch the Arthritis Pain Reliever Video to learn more about the benefits of physical activity and the types and amounts of exercise helpful for people with arthritis." I'm sorry I don't know how to add a hyperlink to the video. :ohwell:

Kim: When my mom was failing and still living at home, her local grocery store would take orders on the phone and deliver food to her. She had the advantage of being a regular shopper there and knowing what they carried. It worked out nicely until her situation deteriorated and we moved her to assisted living near us. :cry:

Yoga today! Yay!!! this will be the first lesson in over a week. my regular Friday teacher may still be on vacation in Hawaii. If so, I wonder who will be the teacher.

We haven't heard a word from our DD since she returned to Illinois. There are lots of family worries there, as two of her husband's brothers have serious health issues. One of the two has been hospitalized with liver failure for weeks now. He is not eligible for a donor liver. I will try to get in touch with her again today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    Options
    train insane or remain the same
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kim - I don't usually get a lot of fresh stuff online, but when I do the store is pretty good about picking out stuff with a decent sell by date. This time I had put spring onions (scallions) on the list and, because they thought they were not fresh enough, they didn't charge us for the ones they brought us. In fact, they were fine. :) Our delivery is free over £60 . I can usually find bulky/heavy/cupboard items to cover most of that and then enjoy shopping for the fresh items separately without having to bother with those. My problem is more with the things they haven't got in stock, or have occasionally substituted if you haven't ticked "no substitution". They always tell you and you can give them back, but it is annoying if you really want a particular thing and have put in the whole order because you like that item. Grrrrrr! Generally though I am quite happy with the service as the store I do my online shopping from, which has superior food, is some distance from us. I fill in locally. I also buy quite a few things from Amazon, especially exotic items, and spices are very much cheaper.

Katla - I'm so glad you had a good visit with your DD. <3 Sorry to hear she had to go back to a difficult situation. :'(

Yesterday DDIL sent us a video of DGS showing us what he had to do for his sponsored athletics. We were in fits of laughter! He was showing us star jumps and press ups etc. He is only 5 years old. Of course we will sponsor him, but I really do feel it is too young to be into competitive sponsoring. They get bigger rewards for raising more money. When my children were at school I refused to let them take part in that kind of activity and made a big fuss about it to the charities involved. I feel it is very unfair to the less privileged children, who do not find it so easy to raise money from relatives and friends.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Love to all. Heather UK

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Happy Friday ! ! !

Sorry I was gone for so long again. Work got busy again, and so did my evenings at home. I can’t believe how time-consuming life can still be when DS is finally “between sports”. Now I need to shop and prepare for Junior Gold Bowling Nationals, and that kid keeps eating, so he keeps growing, so I have to keep buying and tailoring his pants. Since we are driving my tiny Caddie to Indianapolis and staying for 10 days packing needs to be an art form. DS is bringing 5 bowling balls, and I’m trying to convince DH to only bring 3. We are only packing for 5 days, so I must remember a Ziploc baggie with some fabric softener sheets and a few sample-size detergents, so I can stay back at the Hotel mid-week and do everyone’s laundry.

Today is also a busy day at work, so I haven’t been able to read much, sorry and Hugs ! ! !

CSSJO9 – Hugs and Prayers. I truly agree with your friend; if you listen to your heart you will know when it is time. Almost 6 years ago my Mom had a fatal stroke, and we did the Palliative Care until her lungs were done (72 hours). We spent as much time together in the room as possible, just talking like she was a part of the conversations. I believe it allowed for great healing for almost all of us. Hugs and Prayers for everyone who must make this painful decision.

Nancy from MI – my ex is also gay. He has been remarried (to Steve) for at least a few years now (I wasn’t invited, but I saw the pictures on Facebook). I am remarried also. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, plus numerous joints affected by Osteo-Arthritis, so exercise abilities change from one day to the next. I just do my best to keep moving in spite of the pain, or move the parts of my body that hurt the least. I also crochet as much as possible, to keep my hands limber and strong, and to keep them out of the junk food. Hugs for you ! ! !

Karen - WAY cute; and I love the sandals, too.

I put stickers on my calendar every day this week, and that included avoiding donuts 2 days in a row. Last night I had a small spoon of DS’s cake, just for the sweet, then off to bed. Portion-control is not my strength, so that felt really empowering.

DS made a phone call last night to train to be a baseball umpire. They have a new class starting next week. At his level the class is free because they can only umpire for kids younger than themselves (still 15). The pay is $10 - $20 per game, so it’s not a lot of money, but will put something in his pocket so hopefully he starts to understand finances a little . This should be a job that does not interfere with pin-setting at Holler House bowling. Then hopefully next summer he can work for the City Park & Rec department as a baseball coach or umpire. Whatever it takes to keep him out of trouble.

So happy that we currently have very few plans for the weekend. Saturday morning, after I give both boys their haircuts, we have a little shopping to do. DS has a Nike gift card, so he will choose a thing or two from the Outlet. I have a camping chair that needs to be exchanged. I told the sales person I wanted something that makes me taller sitting down than standing up, and he gave me a plain beach chair. That won't get me above the crowds at tournaments ! ! ! For $80.00 I want what I asked for. So far nothing planned for Sunday.

Time to get back to work.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (63 and sunny)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Katla and Kim, thank you, thank you, thank you! The article Katla posted says exactly what my common sense tells me. I was going to ignore the bridge ladies, anyway. But now I feel justified.

I did my upper body workout today, but am saving walking until late afternoon. It is a rainy, take-it easy kind of day here.

Karen, I love the dress and the way the shoes tie in the orange in the petticoat. Skirts like that are way back in style if the ones on the rack when we went shopping recently were any indication.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! It’s gloomy here today, no rain yet but it sure looks like it! We are having an all college cookout and “fair” this afternoon so I hope the sun comes out. Not much going on otherwise. I had my last PT session yesterday…hooray! I also got 60 minutes of walking in but forgot to lot it. The PT gave me permission to ride my bike…it’s a recumbent and actually has 3 wheels like a tricycle, but they say the posture is still bad in it. But I can ride it for short periods.

No word on DD#2’s job search. She is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too picky about a job she will have for 8-10 weeks. I just don’t think she understands the issue. We will not pay more than our half of her housing bill next year (we are bailing her out this year, but she has to pay us back) and they will not allow her to register if she has an outstanding bill. So come Monday (her deadline) I’m telling her to get in my car and I’m taking her McDonalds where they are paying $10/hour. I don’t care if she doesn’t want to work there. No word at all from DD#1, who is not-so-dear right now.

Chris: have a wonderful birthday celebration!

DJ: hope things do actually slow down for you!

Alison: take some time for yourself…besides a cup of tea! You deserve it!

Clairblue: I love water classes!

Joyce: sounds like you really needed that diuretic!

Janet and Pip: workout buddies are the best!

Lagopus: how many months is your growing season?

GRIT: I just don’t get why the dr. is trying to wean you off Dilantin when each time you do you have a seizure. Why wean off at all?

MightyLolo: great job with the swimming! I am hoping to get back in the pool again soon.

CCSJ09: I am so sorry for your DH and you and the suffering you two are going through. I agree that oxygen can be a comfort measure. Your friend is wise; having lost many people in my life I can concur; you will know when it’s time. Most recently I was with my dad when he died. I told him he could stay or leave (this was Monday) but if was staying he had to get better soon because DD#1’s baby was being induced Wednesday and I planned to bring the baby over for family pictures with our photographer so he had to look better than he did right then. He smiled. Then he died. He was taking morphine for his shortness of breath and valium for the anxiety that being short of breath causes. I was so glad to be with him. Cherish every moment you possibly can during this season of farewell.

Terri: nice to see you again!

Kim: we are starting to get the online grocery service here and I think it could be manageable for packaged items, but I could not let someone else pick out produce or meat for me!

Karen enjoy the dinner. I like the contrasting color of the crinoline.

Terri_mom: nice to see you too!

Alrighty then, lots to do today. In addition to the “party” here at work, I have to pick up bird seed and more codeine for the Benny dog. His cough seems to have worsened a bit the last 2 days. Amazing how good he was for several days after his bronchoscopy, but now it’s back to that awful honking cough that just exhausts him. At least he can still fall asleep and rest well. And he is still perky. Poor baby; I think this is another season of farewell for me.

Take care all, meg from Omaha.

And in case my last sentence was a bummer to you all, I view it as a privilege to care for people AND animals in their last days and ease their time that is left.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yikes... it is Friday already - can't believe I have not logged on this site for 3 days!

@janetr7476 ... to answer your question from several days ago... I was born in Utah.. spent most of my adult life in California, and just recently (OK 2003) ... moved back here to Utah...

Life has been crazy lately......but good!
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, my sanity keepers!
    More people descending, more Big Fat Wedding madness!
    Rehearsal today should be amusing. Poor officiant, it will be like herding cats.
    Wearing a fifties style dress crinoline slip peeking out. A bit girlish for my age perhaps. Hope I won't look ridiculous.

Karen in Virginia

gdxm3mwbj9kz.jpg

, karen, The petticoat is adorable. Perfect for a 50s party/ cat herding celebration/ rehearsal dinner. I love, love, love the dots.

CJ
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Pip What a beautiful letter. I am teary-eyed myself.

Everyone Thank you for all the hugs, love, advice and shared experiences. I think I need to have a serious discussion this weekend with hospice folks as well as the nursing home. He was discharged from hospice before this, but maybe it is time to rethink it. He has been suffering for 20 years and completely ill for 15. I will keep your good, wise, kind, and loving thoughts embraced around me. <3. CJ
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely Ladies, it's Rosie <3 Things here have been moving along......busy as ever. Good news though, my husband has recieved 2 job offers as of today. It's decision time o:) This is a welcomed relief to say the least. He thinks he'll be able to start by June 1st, so yeah for being gainfully employed with full benefits again! We may not have to pick up COBRA if this happens, as the new job with start before the 66 days we had to make and pay for the COBRA election or find other health care.

Since I was on this thread last sometime back in March our terrific German exchange student has returned to Germany. We miss that kid and still talk about him almost daily.

My DS #2 made his Confirmation and I am still teaching him to drive- September he can take the road test to become a licensed driver. He leaves for Germany on June 14th so lost of packing in our future.

DS #1 is home from his freshmen year of college, and has a summer job at the State Fair. I flew to NC and my dear brother helped me move him out of the dorm. His college belonggins are stored at my brother's home till we move him back into the dorms again in August.

My DD made her college decision (so I'll have 1 in North Carolina, and 1 in Maryland) for next year. DD also, went to Prom, her 18th b-day is next week, then high school graduation on June 9th.

Our life has seen little sacrifices and changes over this period of DH unemployment. I had saved for all the upcoming expenses I knew about along the way, so many cuts in our expenses had already taken place a year ago. Thankfully, and amazingly nothing unplanned got dropped on us! God is good! Our food bill is the biggest expense, and I picked up two free lance finance jobs which helped.

Joyce (((Hugs)))

Pip- Love those stats, you're awesome!

Dr. Katie Bug - Welcome to Onederland ;) You are awesome too!!!

Heather - Hoping DH gets all the feelings out before your cruise leaving none left when you're on the cruise : )

Katla, Terrimom, Grits, Barbie,miriumcats, mikesmom, allie .....left so many out : ( but sending love to all.

So dear ladies take care, welcome to all the newbies, and prayers for all those who have struggles. I will continue to keep up and read posts at places in my area have free wifi.

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I know just how you feel. If you can, go to your keyboard and you will feel my hand reaching out to hold your hand. :'(
    Here it goes- some public sharing that I have been afraid to do before. I am dealing with the same thing with my DH who has been in and out of hospice for years with early onset. He has been bedridden for a long time. He had gained so much weight that he is almost unrecognizable, despite being on small portions and having to be fed soft food. He still chews. (he has not been able to move his arms, legs, or anything for some time) A few weeks ago he had to be placed on oxygen when sleeping because of wheezing. At this point, I am concerned for the wonderful and loving staff that has to move and lift him, even with electric lifts. He has a very, very strict medical directive that does not allow ANY measures but I was told that the oxygen for sleeping is to limit the pain of wheezing and the fear that goes with it. They insisted that this is not life-prolonging. This week, he began having problems swallowing liquid and will have thickener added to clear liquids to prevent choking and all that brings. I don't know if I made the right decisions on his behalf- if I am doing nothing but prolonging his death rather than adding to his comfort. A friend of mine who has a background in a wonderful Catholic nursing home said that I will know when it is time to say goodbye for good. :'( [/quote]

(((((HUGS)))) and more (((((HUGS))) <3<3<3

When my mother was in the end stages with alzheimers I would sit in the room with her for hours and see how tired her body was - the body just gets so tired. I would pray for answers yet I knew this disease would take her. I would tell her how much I loved her and let her know it was okay with me if she had to go. That is how I realized it was time to say good-bye. It helps that I believe she's in a better place.

My prayers are with you CSSJ. Rosie in So Cal

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Becca - I love your out look on life and so glad you have my back.

Kim

I do!!! Very protective of all of you!
    Auugh....I just had two cups of my homemade white bean and ham pieces soup. Good but its just "SITTING" there in my stomach.....
    Becca
    brewin a storm in my belly in
    Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pip, you two are a perfect match in how you encourage each other, recognize each other. It was so beautiful the letter you wrote and equally so selfless in the money he put in your account so you could get your recognition shirt.

Terri, so glad to hear from you.

DrKaties, whenever my 2 girls get together whether it is in person or just face book messenger, there is always laughter. I have had to call them down sometimes when they get to loud in their enjoyment of each other's company. I never knew it would be like this when they were younger. Where my oldest was into anything in the humanities such as choir, drama, etc her sister was into anything athletic. I remember when my youngest was on the high school basketball team and she made her first basket. Her sister said she couldn't remember there being basket weaving in high school. On our orientation day at college, same daughter asked what that strange H looking was in a field. She was clueless when it came to sports.

Joyce, Indiana
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Katiebug - Ain't it great when you drop into Onederland?

Pip - Great that you have found a workout buddy! Enjoy! That Kirbybis a caution! Best to keep him sweet! The good ones are hard to find!

My heart goes out to CJ and the others nursing ailing relatives. We buried my dearest aunt (my godmother) in February. Uncle Walter had died last May, after suffering from Altzeimers for years, and she just faded away before our eyes after that. Heart-breaking! She was the last a Mam's siblings to pass away!

CJ I went for a quick stroll in the garden this morning, and 2 hours later I had trimmed Percy Peacock (my topiary masterpiece) and edged all the beds and paths. Just as well, as the rain started just after lunch. Lots to do indoors, so no probs!

Karen Absolutely love the 50s look. I remember making a similar dress in red gingham, to go dancing when I was in my teens. The sandals are adorable.

Thanks for all the 'welcome back' wishes. Its nice to be missed and appreciated.

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/grey%5E_%5Egeorgia%5E_%5E3%5E_%5E5%5E_%5EWelcome! Newbies!%5E_%5E.gif[/img]

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

80464089.png

:star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Joyce, Indiana~ So here is the story... lol...
    Back in 2013 we had moved to Oregon from California in our Winnebago, and that was our "car". In California it was great because we would take it on base, I would go shopping and he would hang out in the RV, as well as the kids. But here, parking the RV on these coastal streets is pretty much impossible. I knew we eventually needed a car, but I figured it would be a joint decision. Um nope. He took the RV out to go to the post office to buy stamps, then went to the dealership, did all the paperwork, and came back with the RV like he had done nothing. Actually by then I knew what was up. On the way home from the dealership, the saleslady had called me to get some more information.... What an awkward call THAT was... He came home because he needed to drive back with the "trade-in", which was his moped scooter. I had to bundle the loon up because it was like mid-December, then call back the saleslady saying they better dayum well give him a cup of hot tea when he gets there! Actually they had the scooter on the sales floor for quite some time.

DSCN0002_zpslgqxktvs.jpg

So anyway, he came home with the silver Chevy Spark, but it was a stick, which on days when he wasn't in the most clearest of thoughts, that kicked his butt. So after 30 days when the silver Spark has its checkup, the head guy at the dealership asked how my husband liked his new car, and he confessed the stick kicked his butt some days. He pointed to the Jalapeno colored one and said what about that one. So he came home with a car without a stick, and a nice eco-friendly looking one to boot!
    The End

Becca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Joyce, did you and Charlie go to see the surgeon yet, what is the plan?

Janetr okc