Just for today --- daily commitment thread

Options

Replies

• byrdiegrrrl
    byrdiegrrrl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    taxmom9093 wrote: »
    I'm noticing so many of us struggle with the same all or nothing thinking. Me too. We did not get here with one extra snack. The problem is (or at least for me, and I think for some of you too) when I make that one poor choice, I give up and keep eating even more poor choices. I need to let myself enjoy my treat (planned or not) then climb right back up on the wagon and make better choices right away. This is the only way I can make any of this work for the rest of my life. One day at a time, one choice at a time, one tiny step at a time.

Oh yes, yes, yes......THIS ^
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @joan6630
    @taxmom9093
    @byrdiegrrrl

Yes, me too. On all of this. Right now I am fighting cravings and I know exactly why. I am so sleep deprived with no clue as to why I did not sleep well last night. And I am leaving for work in less than an hour. I am so interested to notice that even as I write this, I feel less compelled to go find food that would sabotauge my plan. See how you are helping me?? Thanks!

One downfall for me is waiting until the next day to start over. It works better for me if I have a "small reset". Let's say that I go ahead and eat half a bag of chips or order a huge sub sandwich with the crew at work or eat that leftover cheesecake that might be sitting in the frig at work, none of which is on my food plan for today. Then what helps me is to drink a protein shake instead of what I was planning to devour next. (I only drink those when I am on plan.) Then I log what I just ate to the best of my ability. This stops the eating frenzy, usually. If I can do this (sometimes I do, sometimes not), then I have "restarted" and can remain on plan for the rest of the evening, so when I wake up the next day, I have already started over and don't feel shame as the first emotion of the day. I don't try to compensate for the indiscretion if I feel hungry by skipping a meal or a planned healthy snack.

Thank you all, and thank you Joan for starting this thread.

Karen in Virginia
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »

JFT, 5/31/2016

Weighed in today at 133.5. These last pounds are coming off so agonizingly slow. :|

1. Walk the dogs :)
    2. Get in >10k steps or cardio session :)Both! Turbo Fire: Fire 45 - my favorite!
    3. Do an easy band strength workout :/Nope, decided not to do anything like this until my back is better
    4. No alcohol o:)
    5. Stay within weight-loss calories o:)

JFT, 6/01/2016

1. Walk the dogs
    2. Get in some kind of workout that won't hurt my back
    3. No alcohol
    4. Stay within weight-loss calories
  • shrcpr
    Options
    @joan6630, vent noted and commiserated with! So sorry you're going through a difficult time. It's hard to focus on health when so many things are going on. So glad you're back with us.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    @joan6630 Stick to your guns, Joan. You are doing what's best for you.

After I had my left hip replaced last September, I asked my surgeon what I could do to minimise the chances of having to have the other one done. He said that walking was one of the best ways to combat that. Walking strengthens the joints because your legs are load-bearing, but you aren't putting undue strain on them. Use them or lose them applies to muscles and bones too.

Of course, losing weight is also an enormous help. That's why we are all working on that!

This is consistent with what my dad is being told about his knee replacement--the more you move, the better. He gets 14,000-20,000 steps/day and his replaced knee is in perfect shape 5 years after surgery.

Joan, make sure that you check the individual product carefully--chocolate milk and hot coco are generally caffeine free. Then again, I often get 1000mg of caffeine a day, so you might not want to listen to me. Go coffee!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Tuesday:
    1. 10,000 steps :)
    2. swim a mile :)
    3. under 75G carbs :)

Wednesday:
    1. 10,000 steps
    2. weight workout
    3. under 100G carbs
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    JFT 6/1/16

Morning appointment. :)
    Schedule Friday with email. :)
    Find the missing blue filer. :)
    Find the missing red folder. :)
    Clean kitchen. :) Yay!
    Make chocolate pudding. :) Yum!
    Grocery shopping. Nope!
    Freezer cooking. Nope!
    Stay under calorie goal. :) Yay! .

• 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Do 2000 more steps
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JFT 1 June:
    Continue with rough draft of translation :)Almost done!
    Plan meals for upcoming visit of daughter and son-in-law :sWhy is this so tough?
    If at all possible, run 12 km B)Set out late and was pressed for time but managed 11.7 km!

JFT 2 June:
    Contact client about translation
    Plan those darn meals!
    Clean house
    /Penny at the8_2_66v.gif
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    JFT Wed 1 Jun 2016
    1) Drink 64 oz water :)
    2) Log every bite :)
    3) Jazzercise :)
    4) Work on garage project for 30 minutes :| Used time to go to Home Depot for plumbing supplies instead. Most of which have to be returned.
    5) Allow plenty of time to get ready for work, including a short nap. :)

JFT Thur 2 Jun 2016
    1) Conduct all events today with ultimate goal of making it to grandson's baseball game tonight. Most important event of the day!
    2) Jazzercise
    3) Log every bite
    4) Take a nap (work was brutal last night and I didn't get to sleep until quite late)
    5) Take 2 dogs for a walk
    6) Straighten house up
    7) Pay Real Estate Taxes & one other bill I can't remember right now but know it's due
    8) Return plumbing supplies to Home Depot
    9) Take Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Ashwagandha, all of which I have skipped the last couple of days.
    10) Finish drying peaches, ?make guacamole ?dry mangos
    11) Send mental cups of tea, Bloody Marys, towels warm out the dryer to drape over shoulders, therapy dogs, hugs, prayers, helping hands, and positive energy to all my MFP pals who need them.
    12) Perform one random act of kindness.
    13) Lunch w/my BF from MCV/VCU

Karen in Virginia
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just a regular day. Clean out fridge (garbage pick up tomorrow); clean car eat left overs instead of eating out (I love sauerkraut); study some Chem. (Prepare for up coming semester); hooked on phonics (my daughter is six); go to the park and play; oh and walk the dog. (Puppy in training you want to talk about burning calories).
  • shrcpr
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »

JFT, 6/01/2016

1. Walk the dogs :)
    2. Get in some kind of workout that won't hurt my back :)Just did some walking ~8k steps
    3. No alcohol o:)

JFT, 6/02/2016

1. Walk the dogs
    2. Get in a cardio workout at the gym
    3. No alcohol
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,215 Member
    Options
    Wed, JUNE 1ST
    1. log ALL food :) - even that margarita last nite!
    2. no caffeine :):):)
    3. only 1 can of diet root beer tonite :)
    4. long walk :) 4.5 miles~
    5. read mediation - keep positive thoughts going :)

June 2nd
    1. log all food
    2. drink 8+ glasses water
    3. long walk tonite
    4. mow grass, if not too wet
    5. work on organizing sewing room
    6. baked chicken for tonite

• suzievv
    Options
    JFT 6/2/16

Grocery order
    Exercise
    A nice bath
    Some thank-you notes
    Pick up grocery order
    Dinner prep
    Stay under calorie goal
  • suzievv
    Options
    And apparently I need to order a new battery for the food scale [SIGH]
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    JFT: I will finish prepping and packing for my backpacking trip instead of napping all day long.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    June 2nd, JFT:

I will celebrate my DH's birthday without having any of his cake, and I will hit my water intake goal!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,227 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    :star: Challenges are the spice that makes life zing! :star:

:heart: Dare to be YOU!

:smiley: Welcome Newbies! :smiley:

Having daily goals helps me stay on track. "The accountability of posting here keeps me on the straight and narrow. I can always find excuses in my head, but somehow, they just don't cut it when I see them in black and white on the page."
    (Terri Richardson)

JFT Tues 31 May 2016
    • Pre-log/follow through; 150+ minutes exercise; 10000+ steps :)
    • 8 cups liquids/Monitor sodium intake. :)
    • Declutter shoes. Ongoing
    • Visit friend for afternoon coffee. :)
    • Work on GoTs and Hogwarts tasks. :)
    • Work on poetry anthology. :)
    • Start Research on Landseer for Art History field trip on 14th June. :)

Not sure what happened to my Wednesday post! :open_mouth: Goals met :)

JFT Thurs 2 June 2016
    • Pre-log/follow through; 150+ minutes exercise; 10000+ steps :)
    • 8 cups liquids/Monitor sodium intake. :)
    • Travel to Dublin for a family funeral. A long day! Irish Wakes are a marathon!

JFT Fri 2 June 2016
    • Pre-log/follow through; 150+ minutes exercise; 10000+ steps,
    • 8 cups liquids/Monitor sodium intake.
    • Work on GoTs and Hogwarts tasks.
    • Work on poetry anthology.
    • Complete Research on Landseer for Art History field trip on 14th June.
    • Prep for/attend Parchment Craft meeting after lunch.

@Ketone Karen Enjoy your grandson's baseball. These family times are so important!

The positivity on here today is so energising. Thank you all for being so open!
      It's comforting to know that one is not alone on this journey!
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    JFT Thur 2 Jun 2016
    1) Conduct all events today with ultimate goal of making it to grandson's baseball game tonight. Most important event of the day! :)
    2) Jazzercise :)
    3) Log every bite :)
    4) Take a nap (work was brutal last night and I didn't get to sleep until quite late) :)
    5) Take 2 dogs for a walk :'(
    6) Straighten house up :)
    7) Pay Real Estate Taxes & one other bill I can't remember right now but know it's due :)
    8) Return plumbing supplies to Home Depot :)
    9) Take Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Ashwagandha, all of which I have skipped the last couple of days. :)
    10) Finish drying peaches, ?make guacamole ?dry mangos :)
    11) Send mental cups of tea, Bloody Marys, towels warm out the dryer to drape over shoulders, therapy dogs, hugs, prayers, helping hands, and positive energy to all my MFP pals who need them. :)
    12) Perform one random act of kindness. Carrying this over to today's list
    13) Lunch w/my BF from MCV/VCU :)

JFT Fri 3 Jun 2016
    1) Perform one random act of kindness.
    2) Spend some quality time with my grandson
    3) Jazzercise
    4) Log food
    5) Drink 8 glasses of water
    6) Spend 30 minutes filing papers and decluttering paper/mail pile; shred stuff
    7) Do some weeding

Karen in Virginia[/quote]

• amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    1. Laundry
    2. My daughter and I played in the rain in stead of going to the park yesterday so I owe her the park to day( she helped clean the house) proud mamma!
    3. Hooked on phonics
    4. Go to work.
    5. Drink lots of water( down to one can of dew a day; working on getting of the pop).
    6. Count calories