Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    How on earth do you guys eat all of your calories in such a short window without getting sick?!!? I'm not even halfway there and I feel like I'm going to have to start all over soon, if you get my drift. Ugh!

Never had a problem with this....could be why I have always been fat.

I ate 4,000 calories in 7 hours on my spike day Saturday. I was stuffed after that.
  • cassmsta
    cassmsta Posts: 75
    Options
    I am really interested if someone would teach me how?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am really interested if someone would teach me how?
    There are different kinds of fasting. I do leangains 16/8. Basically, I eat my last meal at around 6pm then don't eat anything until 10am. Not to confuse you, but I also undereat from 10am to 3pm. Meaning, I eat just a bit until 3pm and then eat the majority of my calories from 3-6pm. This is not part of leangains, just my preference and it is basically the warrior diet.
  • mescla
    mescla Posts: 56
    Options
    Sounds like something i want to try.. How do you do it?? Can you guys share what you do? Wonder how that would work with this stomach of mine which suffers from gastric reflux..
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I fast until 1pm. I eat my lunch then. Usually have some sort of snack/protein shake about 4ish. Workout at 5ish. PWO shake. Then massive dinner. Last meal is finished by 9pm.

I am doing leangains 16/8 as well. Check the website as there is heaps more info there.

High protein
    lower carbs on non workout days, higher fats
    higher carb on workout days, lower fats.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like that there are so many ways that people fast and that its OK to fast the way you see best.
    I did my first IF yesterday and it was easy and no down side.
    I chose an easy first try. No food from 1pm to 7am the next day, for an 18 hour fast. Basically skipped dinner and saved over 600 calories for the day. Had a normal breakfast.
    I intend to repeat the eighteen hour fast once a week until Aug. 8th and evaluate.
  • chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something i want to try.. How do you do it?? Can you guys share what you do? Wonder how that would work with this stomach of mine which suffers from gastric reflux..

I fast every day 16hours and have 8hour eating window in which i eat all my 1200cal for the day. So i eat from 9.30am till 5.30pm and set my meals at 9.30am breakfast, 12.30 lunch 5.00 dinner every day and the rest of the time i fast.
    I have found that by fasting i no longer feel the need to snack at night as i am fasting.
  • LdyGeko
    LdyGeko Posts: 433
    Options
    I do one to two 24-hour fasts each week, usually Monday or Tuesday and then again on Thursday or Friday. I eat dinner the night before and then don't eat again until dinner the next day. My main goal is to maintain my weight right now, and that's working wonderfully for me... In fact, today is a fast day for me. Had a really great dinner last night and will have another one tonight!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    A fast day for me today as well. Speaking of which I need to make up a big pitcher of green tea. I love drinking iced green tea on my fast days in the summer.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    These are my estimates for varying goals using lean gains method.

Lose weight:
    workout days: maintenance
    non workout days: -20%

Recomp:
    workout days: +20%
    non workout days: -20%

Gain:
    workout days: +50%
    non workout days: maintenance

%'s will obviously differ depending on your current BF% ie. someone with minimal fat to lose should have a smaller deficit that someone who has a lot to lose.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    im doing the 16/8 leangains thing.

i eat all my calories. lol. atleast i try and go close!
    8 hours is plenty of time to do it!

first two meals today (pre workout), are around 550 cals each. then after smashing myself, i'll down a shake, relax a bit, and smash another 800-1000 calories, lol.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Here is my feedback from three weeks of Leangains 16/8:

Trying hard to gain weight and have succeeded in putting on an extra 9 pounds. About half fat and half muscle. On the positive side: My neck is bigger (1/2 inch), my hips and thighs are bigger (1.5 and 1 inch). My lifting is very strong and I am not close to plateauing on any of my lifts. My Lean Body Mass is at an alltime lifetime high. 153. For some reason, I find it MUCH easier to eat a lot of calories on this diet. Maybe because I worry less about how much and how often I eat.

Negatives: Belly gained 1.5 inches at the belly button. 1 inch below my BB. and no gain at my pantsline. Therefore all my "skinny pants" still fit perfectly. Maybe even a little better and my belt is on the same notch. You can still see all six of my abs but they are a little less defined. I think I can work that off. This is because I have been in a large calorie surplus almost every day of the three weeks.

Biggest negative: On M, W, F I lift from 845 to 10am with only BCAA's in my belly. The lifting is fine. However, I do Krav Maga which is an intense hour long workout at 1215pm. When I do that without eating, I always feel lethargic during class and I think about food all class. My fix is to break the fast with a HUGE meal at 10am. It is digested before the Krav class and I feel like a Million Bucks during class.

I don't know if the shorter fast hurts the overall goal of Leangains but I would rather have a great workout.

Any thoughts?
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What is IF? Sounds like it would help me out. Please let me know where to find out. Thank you
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    What is IF? Sounds like it would help me out. Please let me know where to find out. Thank you

IF is intermittent fasting. There are several ways to do it. I'm using the daily 16 hour fast with an 8 hour feeding window advocated on www.leangains.com.

Others do 1-2 longer fasts per week - usually 24-36hrs. www.bradpilon.com

Honestly if you just google intermittent fasting there are several blogs With information.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read the thread later :)
  • sunnycam
    sunnycam Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I never knew this all existed till I stumbled upon this thread! I need to read up more on the different methodologies, but would like to join so I can learn from all your experiences! Seems like so many of you are successful with this and happy with the results!

I was on the HCG diet and in maintenance I do "Steak Days" as correction days when I've gain more than I should have. It seems similar to what people are doing here: I fast all day until dinner time when I have a huge Steak and an Apple. I still don't understand how it works, but it does. I just struggle with what to do the next day or so in terms of eating because my weight is very sensitive to what I eat and will fluctuate dramatically if I am not careful. Any suggestions?

What happens when you hit your goal weight? What does maintance look like?

Thanks!
  • LdyGeko
    LdyGeko Posts: 433
    Options
    Hi, Sunnycam!

I have also done the HCG diet, three rounds, lost over 50 pounds so far. I've been in P3/4 now for 8 weeks, and I've been using the Eat-Stop-Eat method of IF two days a week, regardless of whether my weight has fluctuated or not and I have been completely rock solid on my weight for 8 weeks, eating whatever I want - reaching my BMR most days. I start another round next week, a 30-day round, so will probably not be doing any IF during that time. Dunno, though, might try it now and then to see how it goes. The ESE info can be found at www.bradpilon.com, I think....

Following the ESE method, two days a week, I have a nice big dinner, and then not eat again until dinner the next day, making sure to get in plenty of fluids, and it's working great for me! Another method of IF is Lean Gains, which I believe is eating your daily calories in a certain window of time each day, say noon to 5 p.m., or something. You can check it out at www.leangains.com.
    I never knew this all existed till I stumbled upon this thread! I need to read up more on the different methodologies, but would like to join so I can learn from all your experiences! Seems like so many of you are successful with this and happy with the results!

I was on the HCG diet and in maintenance I do "Steak Days" as correction days when I've gain more than I should have. It seems similar to what people are doing here: I fast all day until dinner time when I have a huge Steak and an Apple. I still don't understand how it works, but it does. I just struggle with what to do the next day or so in terms of eating because my weight is very sensitive to what I eat and will fluctuate dramatically if I am not careful. Any suggestions?

What happens when you hit your goal weight? What does maintance look like?

Thanks!