WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Mary – so glad to see you, wow has shep grown!

Janetr – not really smell it but taste it -

Heather – what a drag that your island stop had to be cancelled.

Katla – I too love my yoga and think as a beginner you need an instructor – maybe after a year or two I could do some of it at home…

NYKaren – great job! You did exactly right, and I think it was perfect that you told them you get your support away from the office. You are not beholden to them for help… excellent to keep as much as possible these things separate.

Lisa – you sound like the gi upset is history – that is good. And getting a DH fix might be a good idea.

Debbie – take it slow! Getting hurt will make the trip to health even longer!

Alison – NO Tom should not give you any flack or you can just start charging him for the maid jobs $25 for each load of laundry, $20 per meal…. But as for $100 being enough for a wedding gift, that is more than I could afford, and I really think it is the thought and a carefully chosen item, not the $$ value.

Larissa – excellent choice and priorities!!!!

Katiebug – I was just wondering what was up with you… congrats on walking with no pain – the contest should be against yourself – and you came in first!!!!!

Michele – the changes that are made in thread or even in food is enough to drive you nuts!

Pip – you are a champ! The miles you are riding is impressive!

Karen – you are not that new…. I really think when a newbie starts being a regular poster they stop being a newbie as we get to know you.

Working on some “emergency” projects from folks who did not plan for graduation gifts… but a rush charge is always nice extra $$ .

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation, visiting with vickie
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Thx godmomkim ;0)
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Larisa: Congrats on the new job!

Pip: Way to go!

Michele: I'm not into kick boxing either. Apparently my hamstrings are really tight as well. It turns out that I have a severe hamstring strain and possibly multiple tears. I was in so much pain today that I got an appointment with a physiotherapist. Who'd have thought that bending over planting seeds could cause this much damage! Here I thought I'd be good since I'm now getting in 10,000 steps a day. Not so. :'( ..apparently according to internet research walking does not stretch or strengthen hamstrings.

Welcome to all the newbies.

Carey- Northern Alberta
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well after several tries I am finally at the point where I can post. Can I remember all I read???????? Well I know that Mary is still with us, Heather is closer to Penny, Lisa is feeling much better and wants to snuggle with her hubby, Larisa accepted a GREAT job, some one had to talk to high uppers about a personnel problem and came out shining, you all are talking about fruit leather and i have no idea what in the world you are talking about!

I just know I have been busy. Hey ladies, I don't get busy the kind of 'get busy' some of you do. But I have been busy. I finally got to talk to my sister and Christina. I have tried to call both of them since Charlie came home form the hospital and haven't been able to get them. I don't know why young people, and my daughter is close to 40 so she is close to the age of some of you so I hope you aren't this way, feel the only way of communication is by text, facebook message or face book. I want to hear my loved ones voices. I want to hear the emotions and not just see an emoticon. A year ago I didn't even know that term. Now even my husband does. I think it was on Wheel of fortune one night and he just looked at me and said 'what!'. my oldest grandaughter, 14 going on 24 has discovered the wonderfulness of her cleavage!!!! Bless her heart, she is a full A, should be going into a B pretty soon and I think she is no bigger than a 32 but she now has cleavage. Christina has been invited to a wedding and is not a wedding person because that means you have to wear something other than jeans and UK sweatshirt. So little Ellie, all of her 9 year old social self is going with her Daddy and will get all dressed up. I am sure she will want to wear her tiara! Who here wears one all the time???? have I gone crazy, who is it.

OK, Charlie's appointment. He had this real hard area at the top of his abdominal incision. So after nurse took out staples, and doctor felt around said hard area, he took the blunt end of Q-tip and gently put it in the top and out poured a bunch of stuff that didn't need to be in there. So now I am packing this area 3 times a day. It hurts to know that you are doing something that physically hurts a loved one. But I love doing something that is so elemental in my old surgical nursing care. Well that and helping him put on a new ileostomy bag. I mean, who would have thought that Charlie and Joyce would be doing the amount of hugging, kissing and telling each other they love each other just because he now has this ileostomy that requires me to use a lot of tender loving and totally unconditional care of him. Why would I want some other person to come into my home when I know I am doing that to help him. And I am getting the love from him all through it. But the poor cat. Her world is so messed up. Charlie isn't sitting on his love seat with her right beside him to get belly rubs. The love seat isn't stationed at an L with the couch so she can sit on the big armrests of both and touch both of us at the same time. He is sitting in the recliner that belongs in the man cave and the love seat is in the wrong place. Everytime she tries to get on his lap, we have to gently take her off. I wonder if that is why her immune system is wacky right now and she is sneezing so much. I try to just put her on the arm rest of his recliner but that's not her spot. So he jsut reaches down and pets her head when she wants so much more.

Also went to choir practice and it was so wonderful to be up in that choir loft and singing with that small choir making beautiful music.

OOPS, I think the ground sirloin is still sitting out to thaw that is going to make a meatloaf tomorrow. Gotta go

Joyce, Indiana Oh Pip....*
  • artistsandie
    artistsandie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm looking for supportive friends and I'm over 50. This looks like a place that might fit the bill for me
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Joyce - When I read your description of how you are helping Charlie now and how he is reacting, I was tearing up. I'm so glad to hear that he has found yet another way to show he loves you, in addition to singing "your" song at karaoke. :heart: But the poor bewildered cat!

The ship that broke down north of Svalbard last week and had to be towed to safety is still docked at the coal pier. It was scheduled to depart with another set of passengers yesterday. It's a pity for the people who missed out on a lot of their cruise last week, but those who were supposed to embark yesterday may get essentially the trip they booked, because a sister ship to the crippled one arrived in port this morning.

I went to choir practice last night and had a great time! This is a between year. We can only afford to do major productions every other year, and we did Fauré's requiem in February. So now we're learning a whole slew of songs from northern Norway. We'll build up a repertoire and have a themed concert sometime in the spring. Yesterday's new song was a stoic and evocative one called "Waiting for a boat" about watching the evening close in over an empty boat slip - empty of both boat and husband. In northern Norway, many women my age can tell of fathers, brothers and classmates lost at sea. :heartbreak: It was a hard life!

In a week or two, when the school year ends, our numbers will plummet - both in the choir and in the town as a whole. Even though the summer up here is magical, many families to go to the mainland. Maybe parents feel obliged to make sure their children know certain facts of life: what trees are, that flowers can grow to be quite tall, and that you are actually allowed to pick them! Our strict environmental protection laws prohibit anything that might disturb plants or animals. The other day I heard a big sister scolding her little brother severely because he had picked a single blossom. :flowerforyou: :-1:>:)

NYKaren - Good for you for making it through the investigation. Even though I can clearly see the need to answer the question and nothing else, I would have to pinch myself the whole time not to elaborate - especially if I got prompted to say more.

Allie - My guess is Tom will give you flak regardless. Just ignore him. He has no right to complain about how you spend your money, but he has no right to complain about all the other things he complains about either. Does that ever stop him?? :grumble:

Larisa - YAY for a new high-powered job!

I must confess I don't have a formal gratitude list (maybe I should!) but if I did, it would include several of the things that have been mentioned in this thread recently. Or, to be more precise, their absence from my life. I have:

No snakes
    No difficult co-workers
    No 90+ temperatures
    No aches and pains

Okay, I'm not allowed to pick flowers, but I'll do that when I get to the mainland and in New Hampshire later on this summer.

My current bummer is that my North Pole gifs have stopped working. :'( I'll just have to sign off with ordinary words.

/Penny at the North Pole
  • virginislander2
    virginislander2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50 and need to lose 80 pounds.I need faith in myself that I can do this and need all the support I can get. I would love to join your group.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    joyce it is so wonderful that DH is healing and he can accept your loving care, how beautiful <3
    Penny heather have fun together I sense a "conference" post and great pics coming this way

Amidst all of my work drama I forgot to mention a silver lining..I have been working with a 17 year old high school student who is headed to college to become a teacher. She has been my intern these past 4 weeks helping out. To work with this hardworking, focused young kid with great initiative and who DOESNT HAVE HER PHONE IN HER HAND EVER!!! gives me great joy. Friday will be her last day but I will be attending her graduation as an invited guest, how lovely!
    Have a great day everyone. NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    good morning my friends~
    slept pretty well and today is my unpaid day off from work, but have to go in for about an hour this afternoon to have something fixed, and then go to a wake tonight....
    Yes Tom is a tightwad and takes care of all the bills,so my paycheck goes into our joint checking account.. I get 20.00 a week spending money and I usually just save that..I will speak with him over the weekend about taking a certain amount of cash with me and be able to use the debit card otherwise...
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Mary so happy to see you back and that you are so improved. I've thought of you often as I notice my arms losing muscle. You got me started doing wall pushups with your enthusiasm. But without your gentle nudging alas i have stopped. I did just read Strong Women Stay Young from the library and then ordered a copy from Half Price Books (love that store!). I have the right weight dumbbells to start but need the ankle weight. Looking forward to having you back all the time! <3
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Allie I also was wondering what happens to the money you earn. Does Tom take care of all the finances and gives you an allowance? Maybe you should bill him for taking care of his Dad. I'm sorry Allie I'm not trying to be a smart a@@ but you deserve so much more!!! Life's too short - be happy!

About your question regarding a wedding gift I think it's ok to spend less. Are they registered somewhere like a department store? Those not only tell you what they want but what has already been purchased. I hope our have fun at the wedding and a memorable time with your Dad. <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Morning peeps-
    It was like 14-16mph winds yesterday by the time I was ready to go home so I didn't ride home yesterday, took the train then rode. What I did to kill time waiting for the train I rode around the parking lot waiting for the train and I was able to get 2.5mi in, BONUS!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Oh welcome new peeps-!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Paulina ~ Welcome to a caring group of ladies.

Dr. Katie ~ Congrats on finishing your race. I cannot even walk a mile much less 5.

Larissa ~ Wishing you a great time in your new job and the bonus of it being close to your home and gym.

Mary ~ So good to hear from you and glad you are feeling good.

Heather & Penny ~ We all look forward to hearing about your meeting.

DH has his antique show this weekend so I am going to steam clean the carpet. That's about it for my exciting life!

Carol
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    3pvsquj53tc1.jpeg
    Bailey, Molly, Mabel, and Farley

1ym6mncx50n2.jpeg
    Griffin
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    VirginIslander, welcome.
    Larisa, Congratulations!
    Sylvia, missing you...

Love y'all,
    Lisa - headed back to town, came out to the ranch for the night.
    It was a good night. :blush: