• NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Becca - will be thinking of you and DH tomorrow. {{{hugs}}}
    Linda/IA
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    SO many happy reports today on what has to be one of the worst days for our country. You have become my friends. I look to you for advice and support, laughter and insight. Imaginary- not at all! Cheri and Karen VA and Penny and Heather

I daresay that each and every one of us has been marginalized at some point in our lives because of our weight, appearance, race, physical or mental status, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, wealth or lack of it, political activism ...oh I could go on. The rest of the country can learn from you fine ladies the lessons of acceptance and love. I hope that the tragedy in Orlando will not become the match to ignite a political firestorm from which the US may not recover, at least not in our lifetime.

I have never met such an open-minded, caring and loving group of women. We are unafraid to invite others to celebrate our rites of passage, whether they be birth, baptism or bris; graduations from high school or college, or rehabilitation and recovery programs. We ask the group to walk with us as we travel the final journeys with those we love, be they family members of friends. We don’t judge those whose loved ones or children are addicted to drugs or alcohol. After all, we are not responsible for choices other make. <3 At times of difficulty or joy, we can count on each other. Thank you <3

Each summer, I pledge to put the car away and only use my feet or bicycle if it is not raining. It worked only for short trips, and then, by the end of the summer, I was forgetting to plan for this. Because I feel that I would let you down, I am determined to do this. Today, I used only the bike for errands ( 6.2 miles) and to go to a meeting - 15.2 miles. Total- 21.4 miles. Not much by most of your standards, but a start.

In the spirit of honesty with you, I am reposting my goals with some additions.
    My Daily goals:
    1. Read and log every day.
    2. Write daily to do list before going to bed.
    3. No electronics in the bedroom.
    4. Exercise or PT every day.
    5. 30 minutes foreign language each day
    6. Express gratitude daily

My 2016 goals:
    1. Complete year- long shopping ban, expanding ban to include cosmetics. Take in, not replace clothing unless I can get it for absolutely free.
    2. Digitize all papers and files.
    3. Get house ready to sell/rent out at moment’s notice.
    4. Publish another 2 technical papers.
    5. Complete weight loss of 30% of starting weight.
    Long-term goals:
    1. Live out of suitcase permanently.
    2. Accept with grace, that which I cannot change. I can only control my own actions and reactions.
    Now, please find your largest hammer and pound this into my brain. I do not want to let you down.
    CJ
  • lisabridwell
    lisabridwell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been off plan since May and now starting again. I've done strength training twice a week with a trainer, and I took my first yoga class this week. Was a private lesson... thank goodness! I'm feel like I look too large for yoga. DH has done yoga for years and really wants me to start. This is a new week and I'm planning to stick w my eating plan this week. Wish me luck!

Just curious, how much time do most of you spend on this message board each day? Sometimes I sit down to log my food for the day, and when I visit the message board it looks like so much to read. I tell myself I'll come back to it and then get busy. Do you do a little bit throughout the day, or one longer session once a day? Any tips?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I appreciate my appliances, too. When DH and I married we were poor college students with a meager income. We had a used washing machine purchased from Goodwill, but no dryer. Eugene, OR is not generally a good place to dry clothes on the line outside during the school year. :noway: We eventually acquired a dryer and were thrilled. We've used laundromats on occasions when we have something too big for our household appliances or while travelling. :smiley:

Dawn & Miriam: I agree that autistic brains work well. They also work differently. It is not just teachers who do not always understand how to help an autistic child. Sometimes it is the social structure, the teacher and even the parents, too. In my perfect world, individual differences would be understood & cherished. It doesn't happen often enough in life. :flowerforyou:

Becca: (((HUGS)))

CJ: Your comments were very eloquent. This is a very special group. :heart:

I got the Bragg Organic Vinegar and honey that was recommended by ladies here as an acid reflux treatment. I had my first dose this morning. So far, so good. Tonight's sleep will be the real test. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will work for me. I'll go back to ranitidine if necessary, but I'd rather not take it if there is another alternative that works.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Katla- I hope that the vinegar works for you!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CJ wrote "Total- 21.4 miles. Not much by most of your standards, but a start." Not MUCH, oh my, by whose standards??? I think it's absolutely GINORMOUS :) I'm impressed.

But at the end you wrote "Now, please find your largest hammer and pound this into my brain. I do not want to let you down." I understand your thinking here, but sweet lady you need to put yourself first and above all not let yourself down. (((Hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, could you Skype or face time with your son who is at home???? I would think that even though he is a great kid, a video phone call from you and Dad would help.

Oh my aching back. Michelle showed me some exercises her PT showed her and they really helped her. I will try them. Right now my regime is using my muscle relaxant, the good old Parafon Forte 1/2 tab in the morning along with an aleve and heating pad for about 1/2 hour. That takes care of me for the rest of the day and I take a full tablet of Parafon Forte at night. But it's not working. It hurt so bad I took a Percocet this evening after I knew my driving was done for the night. I can barely stay awake now.

After supper Charlie came to me and said we had a problem. Yep, we had a problem. The new ostomy bag I put on around noon was leaking. The other bags I had used were clear. This one wasn't and I didn't get it on right. So I found a sample bag that was clear and I hope it is on good.

Nitey nite, JOyce, Indiana
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Rosie your daughter is lovely and I absolutely love her dress! Congratulations to both of you for getting through high school and honors to boot! o:)

Cheri and Karen I love the idea of having someone close for your daughter in case she ever needs a step-IN-mom. If anyone's kids or grandkids ever come to WA for college I would be honored to help out. :)

Pip thanks to you and Kirby for continuing to do so much for worthwhile programs. I may not be physically beside but I'm riding on your shoulder cheering you on! B)

I don't remember who it was that was trying to lift the 40lb bag but a couple of months ago I tried to lift a 42lb bag of kitty litter out of the stroller that I use to bring groceries in and heard a loud pop. I thought I had torn a ligament in my left elbow. but luckily was just a bad bicep strain. Seems t o be healed now and I will not do that again! :s

Miriam don't you just hate summer colds? Tea with lemon & honey? Grew up using that for a cold and still fall back on it although my grandpa stood by a shot of whiskey. Anyone remember when they used to dip pacifiers in whiskey when babies were teething? >:)

I just love those kittens, especially like the 3rd picture down on the left. Just want to pick them up and snuggle. <3

Off to get the oldest child in bed or he will stay on Xbox all night and tell me he didn't know what time it was … grrr:smirk:

Welcome newbies that status doesn't last lon:sweat:
    Love to a:sweat:

GLORIA in WA where rain is expected the next 3 days :(

• Gloworm46
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Tamyena you're in and sounds like you're doing great! What would you like us to call you?

Gloria in WA
  • Gloworm46
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    CJ - Great bike ride! Love what you said. <3

Cheri and Karen - How great to meet up. You both look very happy bunnies. :D

Sunny girl - Beautiful daughter! I can imaging you are super proud.

I am knackered this morning. (Bushed) After the formal last night (sorry can't post pics) DH and I danced the night away until nearly 1 am. Of course it was still bright daylight. I am very stiff this morning, but I am wearing my exercise clothes so that I can pop down to the gym when I have a spare half hour.
    The only kind of dancing DH can't do is ballroom, so the "gentleman partner" took me for a turn in the rumba. I have never done it before, so the result was "interesting". ;)

Today we have another cookery demonstration by the celebrity chef. And then a chat by a naval commander about the Falklands War he was part of. I will fit in some gymming around that . Best to stay off my legs I think. Rowing and cycling.

Must get my face on. DH is in the gym.
    Heather in the ocean.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Up and running... was asleep last night by 7... much easier to go to sleep early than to hang out by myself. Missing my DH, but we got three nights together last week, more than usual. Funny, the more time I get with him, the more I miss him. Here's the picture of the very baroque mirror I was talking about--the frame's finished in an old gold. It's nearly five feet side to side, so it's good size.

The primer coat in the bathroom is beige, but the final coat will be bright white, so the mirror will really pop. Kinda lovin' it, but part of the reason I love it is because I didn't spend hundreds of dollars on a flat, boring mirror. :) My sis was pleased that we could use it.

4dial2irien2.jpg

Love y'all,
    Off to the races, supposed to be a hundred degrees again today, so working in the warehouse while it's cool.
    Lisa in West Texas, where summer may not start for a few more days, but we're getting a preview.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Joyce – Glad that you got your profile picture working. Where in SD do you live? I grew up in Sioux City, just across the border in IA. I have to admit that when I was in high school, we would drive across the border to North Sioux City, SD to buy beer because the drinking age there was 18 and it was 19 in Iowa. LOL – don’t tell my kids.

Linda/IA
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Karen in Virginia ... I'm confused ... Griffin is entitled to an education, regardless of ability or disability. While we usually think of special education as referring to specific disabilities like ADD or other Learning Disabilities ... Physical conditions and mental conditions fall under the same umbrella. It would seem to me, that Griffin's circumstance deserves consideration as well. I would consider seeking the advice of an educational lawyer.

Beth near Buffalo

Linda and other Midwesterners Lots of us from the Midwest and Great Plains! The plains are in my heart & soul. I grew up in Nebraska where my dad's family was from, and my mom grew up on a Sioux Indian reservation in the Dakotas. I have lots of relatives in those states still. And we used to drive across the border into Colorado and drink 3.2 beer when we were 18 LOL! and don't tell my son either!

Beth near Buffalo Thank you for your comments...yes, I agree with you...Griffin was expelled from a private school. He can go back to the public school system, but he didn't do so great there either. He had an IEP but it made very little difference. He was exasperating his teachers because he gets bored and wiggles and does things like tapping or other repetitive movements when he is processing information. He sometimes speaks before he thinks, and he is overly sensitive to social slights, and overreacts. At the same time, he is bright, funny, engaging, clever, a champion of the underdog, and nothing short of a brilliant reader and writer. The teachers forget the last part because of the first part and he gets in trouble and it shuts him down. He doesn't have a tough skin. <3

Cheri Safe travels back to Ohio! It was great to meet you.

CJ My eyes are leaking for some reason. <3

Vicki Grand Island NE Wondering how you are doing with your arm issue, thinking of you daily.

@lisabridwell Yesterday I spent a lot of time on this site because I was resting up from a busy week and allowed myself more screen time than usual. Today, this will be it - approximately 30 minutes to catch up & write my post...which I am becoming more efficient at as I get to know everyone and don't have to remind myself of their names and circumstances as much. Some of the women use a word processing program to reply as they read and then copy it to their post, others take notes, some do multiple posts, and some just wing it...if I miss a few days I just skim and don't try to read every post in depth. Others will have some suggestions but I just think you should plunge in and find your own rhythm. I love this gang.

Everyone have a wonderful day!

Goal for the day: I am determined to stay within my calorie and macro goals today.

Heart hurting for Orlando.

Karen in Virginia

• Gloworm46
    Options
    Becca what time are you planning to arrive at OHSU on Monday?
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that DH was praised for his boogying by one of the gentlemen hosts. :drinker:
    Heather
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,739 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    slept well until 2 :15 when mr grumpy started banging a refrigerator drawer around and barking about lettuce being bad and all sorts of other stuff.. I let him grump, cleaned up the mess and went back to bed for a couple of hours..
    Becca and Joyce~ thinking of you both and dealing with your hubbies and keeping continued prayers going for both..
    working 9-5 today...
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday!
    CJ- Definite heartache this morning over Orlando. Thank you for putting your thoughts into words for us. This mass shooting (and too many others like it) make my heart feel weary; it is a blessing to be able to come on here and visit, and have my heart filled again with goodness.
    Lisabridwell- I try to log on in the morning and pop on this site and read as much as I can, but I also try to read a little before I go to bed. LOL, we are a very verbal group of ladies. I don't comment/reply every day as I used to. I just don't have the time, as I work full time with small kids. It was also beginning to replace my exercise time, which doesn't move me forward in my journey to better health.
    Cheri and Karen-Lovely lovely ladies! So nice to see another pair of our women able to get together! Traci was in my town last week, but with my work schedule we couldn't make it work for a time to get together. She was vacationing with her family and family time to reconnect is so important; I would not interfere with that time. We hope to get together when she visits again!
    Funny story (although I wasn't laughing when it was happening): I mentioned a few days ago that we got our lawn mower back from the repair shop. Well, I began to mow my lawn; my house sits on a hill so mowing is quite the workout for me and the lawn mower. I get two rows mowed...and a wheel falls off the mower! Grrrr! I turned the mower off, went inside and googled "how to fix...", while I was letting the engine cool, my son woke up and went out and put the wheel on, and left for work. I went out and continued mowing and another wheel came off! GRRRRR!!!! So...I put the mower on a couple of 2x4's and fixed the darn thing myself. I also went through and tightened all of the bolts that hold the wheels in place. I am thinking the repair guys forgot to tighten the bolts before sending it home with us. Thank God for Youtube how to videos; but Sheeesh! I have never cussed so much in my life!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,591 Member
    Options
    q