Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people overeat and/or become obese? Is it harder than average for some to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    moe0303 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

I don't believe this for one second.

Lack of education.

That's fine.

Are you saying I lack education or the people I am talking about lack education. What education is lacking?

I think the majority of people who are overweight/obese lack education in anything food related.

I watched an episode of my 600lb life...the guy gained weight and the doctor was asking why? the patient said "I don't know I should be losing I switched out my white bread for whole wheat"....seriously.

And based on my own experience I knew about calories from being a teenager and having my mother diet all the time...but had no clue on how to lose weight and maintain...

I could lose like a demon...but gain it back.

diet books, diet websites, diet pills, diet programs aka WW etc...all teach people how to lose but not how to maintain...

and as adults if we weren't taught about nutrition and calories how do we teach our kids??????

So, you're basically saying people with weight problems do not know lack education on how to maintain?

No what I am saying is most people have no idea how calories work.

I'm not sure I believe this is true of most. It doesn't seem to mesh with the number of posts asking "why can't I stop overeating" or "how do I stop binge eating" or "how do I break my addiction to sugar"

To me these sound more like issues with control of cravings than a lack of knowledge that too many calories are being consumed.

This is a very small sample tho...I do firmly believe based on my own life most don't understand calories.

If they did there wouldn't be statements of CICO doesn't work for everyone and there wouldn't be this large diet industry preying on people...

Sure they get the concept of I need to eat fewer calories but when it comes down to it they have no idea what that truly means...

But I feel like this is going to get into "food addiction" area and I am not into that debate.

What does it truly mean if not; determining the calories of current intake and eating less than that; or determining caloric output and eating less than that?

to lose weight it truly means taking in less calories than you burn
    to maintain weight it truly means that you are eating the same as what you are burning.

If your current intake is making you gain 1lb a week...eating 50 calories less a day won't work...but you know that

Ok, I'm still trying to fully understand what you meant by "Sure they get the concept of I need to eat fewer calories but when it comes down to it they have no idea what that truly means...". So for the sake of clarification, you are saying that they miscalculate their caloric needs or the number of calories they should cut from their diet? In other words, you are saying they know they need to eat fewer calories, but don't know how much fewer?

sort of...

People know that to lose weight they need to eat (for arguments sake) 1200 calories and that means to them 1lb a week. *I know this as a friend is on MFP and this is her life....

They log 1200 calories and really believe they ate 1200 calories.
    They exercise and log 500 calories for 45mins of treadmill walking at 3.5 mph because that's what the treadmill says.

In reality they are eating 1600 a day and burning maybe 300..(I am being generous)

They lose 1/2 a week or maybe none because they really ate 1800 for a few days.

They ask "why am I not losing weight"...

They really believe that they are eating 1200 calories and exercising that much and feel they are one of those "that can't lose weight" or "it's the kinds of calories" or "it's because I ate after 7pm" or "because I didn't drink my hot lemon water this morning to rev my metabolism"

No concept of what 1200 calories looks like or how hard it is to exercise off 500 calories walking...

See for me I can tell you what 30gram of marble cheddar looks like and that fact it has 120 calories...or how much 180 grams of mix frozen tropical fruit looks like...I got cha...150 grams of chicken I know but if I am not familiar with the food I would need my food scale to know the weight to get the calories...

Ok, but this is somewhat different than what the thread seemed to be about.
    ...I suspect they're trying to say that, for them, either Calories In is harder to limit or that Calories Out is harder to achieve than for the average person...
    ...Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed?...

If you have been able to build a skill set which allows you to be able to eyeball what 30g of marble cheddar looks like, what makes you think others who have struggled for years haven't been able to develop the same skills? Surely many of them have and still struggle nonetheless. What drives overeating in people who know better? I'm talking about people who:
    - know energy balance (CICO)
    - Know a pound of fat is about 3500 calories
    - know that exercise estimations are inaccurate
    - know that measuring by volume is not always precise
    - weigh everything that they eat
    - have sustainable food plans
    - know that forbidding foods could lead to greater temptation
    - know that attempting to moderate could lead to greater temptation
    - know that micro nutrients are important for body composition
    - know that protein intake is recommended at .8-1g per pound of lean body mass
    - know that certain food types are more satisfying for different people
    - know that certain diets work because they make it easier for some to manipulate energy balance
    - you get my point...

There are many who know all of this yet fail regardless. Why?

This interests me too and I've seen some comments on other threads that tell me there are a few people here who might say that this describes them. I would love to hear from them.

A friend of mine has been obese probably her entire life. As far as I can tell, she seems to know all of the above yet still struggles with her weight. It's something that I can never ask her about because it's none of my business and I would never want to risk hurting her feelings, but I know she's not the only one in her shoes and I hope someone can shed some light on what it might be like for her.

Because they aren't willing to change. I know this isn't the best analogy - but surely crack addicts know crack is bad? Surely that guy with diabetes who's repeatedly admitted to the hospital knows he shouldn't be chugging soda and what not? Knowledge isn't the first step in change, acknowledgement is. You can look in the mirror and say "hey, I'm fat" but you're not acknowledging that your own choices and lifestyle are the reason. And even if you do, you're not necessarily willing to step out of your comfort zone and make a change. That requires a very high , sustained level of emotional energy. You're settling for your lifestyle. Deep down, you don't believe that you deserve better.

My friend is desperate to change. I don't think willingness or lack thereof is the problem. There's something deeper going on and I think your final sentence gets closer to the heart of the matter, but maybe that's not all there is to it either.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how this thread won't end up here anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there:

In some (or many) cases, people are afflicted with a compulsion/addiction/condition/whatever-term-that-won't-cause-mental-anguish-to-people. I believe that there is both a physical and mental component to this.

The physical is that there is an abnormal reaction to the effects of certain behaviors and or experiences (such as overeating and/or eating highly palatable foods). This reaction manifests in a phenomenal craving. Once the craving is triggered, it cannot be satisfied.

The mental aspect is an obsession with the behavior or experience. They are inexplicably drawn to attempt normal consumption even if they have proven an inability to do so in the past. No matter their level of commitment or the seriousness of their situation (i.e. you'll have to get your leg amputated if you can't get this under control), they will trigger the craving again.

Basically it boils down to this, they can't stop once they've started and they can't stop themselves from starting.

Lack of education.

That's fine.

Are you saying I lack education or the people I am talking about lack education. What education is lacking?

I think the majority of people who are overweight/obese lack education in anything food related.

I watched an episode of my 600lb life...the guy gained weight and the doctor was asking why? the patient said "I don't know I should be losing I switched out my white bread for whole wheat"....seriously.

And based on my own experience I knew about calories from being a teenager and having my mother diet all the time...but had no clue on how to lose weight and maintain...

diet books, diet websites, diet pills, diet programs aka WW etc...all teach people how to lose but not how to maintain...

and as adults if we weren't taught about nutrition and calories how do we teach our kids??????

So, you're basically saying people with weight problems do not know lack education on how to maintain?

I'm not sure I believe this is true of most. It doesn't seem to mesh with the number of posts asking "why can't I stop overeating" or "how do I stop binge eating" or "how do I break my addiction to sugar"

To me these sound more like issues with control of cravings than a lack of knowledge that too many calories are being consumed.

This is a very small sample tho...I do firmly believe based on my own life most don't understand calories.

If they did there wouldn't be statements of CICO doesn't work for everyone and there wouldn't be this large diet industry preying on people...

Sure they get the concept of I need to eat fewer calories but when it comes down to it they have no idea what that truly means...

But I feel like this is going to get into "food addiction" area and I am not into that debate.

What does it truly mean if not; determining the calories of current intake and eating less than that; or determining caloric output and eating less than that?

to maintain weight it truly means that you are eating the same as what you are burning.

If your current intake is making you gain 1lb a week...eating 50 calories less a day won't work...but you know that

Ok, I'm still trying to fully understand what you meant by "Sure they get the concept of I need to eat fewer calories but when it comes down to it they have no idea what that truly means...". So for the sake of clarification, you are saying that they miscalculate their caloric needs or the number of calories they should cut from their diet? In other words, you are saying they know they need to eat fewer calories, but don't know how much fewer?

sort of...

People know that to lose weight they need to eat (for arguments sake) 1200 calories and that means to them 1lb a week. *I know this as a friend is on MFP and this is her life....

They exercise and log 500 calories for 45mins of treadmill walking at 3.5 mph because that's what the treadmill says.

In reality they are eating 1600 a day and burning maybe 300..(I am being generous)

They really believe that they are eating 1200 calories and exercising that much and feel they are one of those "that can't lose weight" or "it's the kinds of calories" or "it's because I ate after 7pm" or "because I didn't drink my hot lemon water this morning to rev my metabolism"

No concept of what 1200 calories looks like or how hard it is to exercise off 500 calories walking...

See for me I can tell you what 30gram of marble cheddar looks like and that fact it has 120 calories...or how much 180 grams of mix frozen tropical fruit looks like...I got cha...150 grams of chicken I know but if I am not familiar with the food I would need my food scale to know the weight to get the calories...

...I suspect they're trying to say that, for them, either Calories In is harder to limit or that Calories Out is harder to achieve than for the average person...
    ...Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed?...

If you have been able to build a skill set which allows you to be able to eyeball what 30g of marble cheddar looks like, what makes you think others who have struggled for years haven't been able to develop the same skills? Surely many of them have and still struggle nonetheless. What drives overeating in people who know better? I'm talking about people who:
    - know that certain diets work because they make it easier for some to manipulate energy balance
    - you get my point...

This interests me too and I've seen some comments on other threads that tell me there are a few people here who might say that this describes them. I would love to hear from them.

A friend of mine has been obese probably her entire life. As far as I can tell, she seems to know all of the above yet still struggles with her weight. It's something that I can never ask her about because it's none of my business and I would never want to risk hurting her feelings, but I know she's not the only one in her shoes and I hope someone can shed some light on what it might be like for her.

Because they aren't willing to change. I know this isn't the best analogy - but surely crack addicts know crack is bad? Surely that guy with diabetes who's repeatedly admitted to the hospital knows he shouldn't be chugging soda and what not? Knowledge isn't the first step in change, acknowledgement is. You can look in the mirror and say "hey, I'm fat" but you're not acknowledging that your own choices and lifestyle are the reason. And even if you do, you're not necessarily willing to step out of your comfort zone and make a change. That requires a very high , sustained level of emotional energy. You're settling for your lifestyle. Deep down, you don't believe that you deserve better.

People have had similar outlooks on alcoholics for decades (or mellenia), but now it is widely accepted to not be so cut and dry.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

Lack of education.

That's fine.

sort of...

- you get my point...

My friend is desperate to change. I don't think willingness or lack thereof is the problem. There's something deeper going on and I think your final sentence gets closer to the heart of the matter, but maybe that's not all there is to it either.

Food sometimes releases "feel good" neurotransmitters. I think some people get a reward from food that is at a primal level that goes deeper than concious rationalization. I know I get an enjoyable "high" from sugar and chocolate, but the sugar crash and resultant cravings deter me. I abstain from calorie dense desserts and simple carbs (except as treats on special occasions and ignore the cravings afterward) and keep them out of the house rather than deal with them. Homemade Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies, chocolate truffles or English toffee would "call" to me, for example, if I knew that they were in the cupboard.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really don't find it particularly surprising that people overeat and gain weight, and I certainly don't think it's contrary to CICO in any way. Nor do I think it makes "put down the fork" bad advice, although I know it can be challenging for lots of reasons.

We evolved in circumstances in which not having enough food was an issue and surplus food was not, and where we were required to be active. Throughout human history (until quite recently) activity was necessary and scarcity was the main concern, and on top of that all cultures had customs and rituals that regulated eating in some way (similar to how other basic urges, like sex, are regulated by culture). It was beneficial for humans, also, to be able to eat when food was available and go without when not, such that we can adapt to not eating/eating little for a period of time (periods of scarcity) and eat more than we need immediately when food is available. As a result, the assumption by some that a healthy human won't eat more than maintenance naturally is questionable -- why would we have evolved to prevent something that was not an issue? It's amazing how out bodies adapt to keep an equilibrium as is.

So given all that, put us in a situation of abundance, with food around at all times that we don't even have to prepare ourselves if we don't want to, a culture that says "eat whenever you feel like it, and for pure pleasure, not for hunger or according to overarching culture," I think it's completely unsurprising that many people overeat and gain weight. It's normal for humans to feel desire to eat tasty and available food when it is present and therefore in the mind. Not everyone feels that way, but that it's common, not surprising.

Add to this that many humans are bad with short term vs. long term tradeoffs -- yeah, overeating will keep you fat and eating less will allow for lost weight, but that will take a long time and it's easy to think one day or one meal won't matter and keep repeating that. And that's even before taking into account how easy it is to use any form of pleasure in a distorted or misplaced way, the power of habit, cultural associations with food (reminds me of a happy occasion or some such), and before worrying about actual messed up relationships with food and weight (which I think often feed into a cycle).

A human with a healthy appetite won't eat more than the body needs though even with abundant, delicious food available.

I'm not sure I am following your argument, but reality disproves this -- a majority of people do when food is abundant and cheap, as currently.

Overfeeding studies involve people who are not overweight, but you can't claim only those people are "healthy."
    I believe our mores around food evolved to protect the appetite - not to prevent overeating per se. Feasting, eating until full, "making room" for dessert are the exact opposite of not overeating and they were all part of a healthy eating pattern.

I don't think they evolved to avoid overeating (as that was not much of a problem until recently except among a small subset), but they operated to do so. One reason I didn't gain weight or think much about food between meals when growing up -- no matter what I ate -- was that you ate at mealtime. Even after I gained weight I took a trip to Nicaragua where we were doing lots of physical activity and busy all day and had no opportunities to eat except at regular meals (which were high carb/low protein compared to how I ate back home). I never thought about food, again, except at meals and ate smaller portions than at home (eating with other people when fat does this sometimes), and wasn't hungry at all. I think it was that food just wasn't available otherwise.
    If you truly overeat at one meal you naturally eat less at another and it all balances out. Providing you have a normal appetite.

Again, this is contrary to reality, as a majority of people seem to eat above maintenance sufficiently to become overweight.

My argument is simply that eating to the point of obesity is not normal or natural in those with a healthy, normal appetite regardless of the food environment.

How are you defining "normal and natural"? If a majority of people do it, it seems to be normal and natural, IMO.

That would be common to my mind, not normal. In other words, working as intended.

But there is no "intended" here. In many ways, eating food when it's available is a product of evolution, in all likelihood, and either useful or neutral in the conditions that prevailed for most of human history, so that a majority seem to do it easily if they don't take precautions against it is hardly surprising.

If a majority of people do it and they are generally otherwise healthy, how is that not normal?

Fact is that it is a majority only in few countries (like the U.S.) while elsewhere it seems the "normal" appetite doesn't lead the majority of people to overeat.
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I really don't find it particularly surprising that people overeat and gain weight, and I certainly don't think it's contrary to CICO in any way. Nor do I think it makes "put down the fork" bad advice, although I know it can be challenging for lots of reasons.

We evolved in circumstances in which not having enough food was an issue and surplus food was not, and where we were required to be active. Throughout human history (until quite recently) activity was necessary and scarcity was the main concern, and on top of that all cultures had customs and rituals that regulated eating in some way (similar to how other basic urges, like sex, are regulated by culture). It was beneficial for humans, also, to be able to eat when food was available and go without when not, such that we can adapt to not eating/eating little for a period of time (periods of scarcity) and eat more than we need immediately when food is available. As a result, the assumption by some that a healthy human won't eat more than maintenance naturally is questionable -- why would we have evolved to prevent something that was not an issue? It's amazing how out bodies adapt to keep an equilibrium as is.

So given all that, put us in a situation of abundance, with food around at all times that we don't even have to prepare ourselves if we don't want to, a culture that says "eat whenever you feel like it, and for pure pleasure, not for hunger or according to overarching culture," I think it's completely unsurprising that many people overeat and gain weight. It's normal for humans to feel desire to eat tasty and available food when it is present and therefore in the mind. Not everyone feels that way, but that it's common, not surprising.

Add to this that many humans are bad with short term vs. long term tradeoffs -- yeah, overeating will keep you fat and eating less will allow for lost weight, but that will take a long time and it's easy to think one day or one meal won't matter and keep repeating that. And that's even before taking into account how easy it is to use any form of pleasure in a distorted or misplaced way, the power of habit, cultural associations with food (reminds me of a happy occasion or some such), and before worrying about actual messed up relationships with food and weight (which I think often feed into a cycle).

A human with a healthy appetite won't eat more than the body needs though even with abundant, delicious food available.

I'm not sure I am following your argument, but reality disproves this -- a majority of people do when food is abundant and cheap, as currently.

Overfeeding studies involve people who are not overweight, but you can't claim only those people are "healthy."
    I believe our mores around food evolved to protect the appetite - not to prevent overeating per se. Feasting, eating until full, "making room" for dessert are the exact opposite of not overeating and they were all part of a healthy eating pattern.

I don't think they evolved to avoid overeating (as that was not much of a problem until recently except among a small subset), but they operated to do so. One reason I didn't gain weight or think much about food between meals when growing up -- no matter what I ate -- was that you ate at mealtime. Even after I gained weight I took a trip to Nicaragua where we were doing lots of physical activity and busy all day and had no opportunities to eat except at regular meals (which were high carb/low protein compared to how I ate back home). I never thought about food, again, except at meals and ate smaller portions than at home (eating with other people when fat does this sometimes), and wasn't hungry at all. I think it was that food just wasn't available otherwise.
    If you truly overeat at one meal you naturally eat less at another and it all balances out. Providing you have a normal appetite.

Again, this is contrary to reality, as a majority of people seem to eat above maintenance sufficiently to become overweight.

My argument is simply that eating to the point of obesity is not normal or natural in those with a healthy, normal appetite regardless of the food environment.

How are you defining "normal and natural"? If a majority of people do it, it seems to be normal and natural, IMO.

That would be common to my mind, not normal. In other words, working as intended.

But there is no "intended" here. In many ways, eating food when it's available is a product of evolution, in all likelihood, and either useful or neutral in the conditions that prevailed for most of human history, so that a majority seem to do it easily if they don't take precautions against it is hardly surprising.

If a majority of people do it and they are generally otherwise healthy, how is that not normal?

Fact is that it is a majority only in few countries (like the U.S.) while elsewhere it seems the "normal" appetite doesn't lead the majority of people to overeat.

I have heard that certain foods are obesogenic. I've read that rice is not one which is why obesity is less prevalent in Asian countries for example. Interesting thought.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Nvmomketo-- that encourages me
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

Lack of education.

That's fine.

Why on earth would this be flagged? It's portion sizes, etc.

Because it's an intentional flippant dismissal (and not the only one from that user ) and belittling of people who have problems that lie outside of "lacking education" which he repeatedly classes as the only valid option.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Increasingly other countries are like the US as food culture changes and environment becomes more similar. Basically, you are catching up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WA_mama2 wrote: »
    htimpaired wrote: »

Lack of education.

That's fine.

Why on earth would this be flagged? It's portion sizes, etc.

Because it's an intentional flippant dismissal (and not the only one from that user ) and belittling of people who have problems that lie outside of "lacking education" which he repeatedly classes as the only valid option.

So did you flag her? It's an obvious against the rules flag.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Increasingly other countries are like the US as food culture changes and environment becomes more similar. Basically, you are catching up.

yes, Western diet, together with obesity, is spreading across the world (food industry has nothing to do with it of course).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Lack of education.

That's fine.

sort of...

- you get my point...

People have had similar outlooks on alcoholics for decades (or mellenia), but now it is widely accepted to not be so cut and dry.

well if you want to go down the road of addiction fine I will say these couple of points on it.

1. I have yet to see someone derail their entire life aka lose their job, home, family because they do "stupid" and/or illegal acts for food.
    2. Applying the logic of addiction to food doesn't even seem logical...we need food to survive so addicts have to stay away from their "drug" per say otherwise....
    3. Addicts go through massive amounts of pain physical/mental when they give up their drug and to equate this to it after seeing an addict get off their "drug" is a slap in the fact to their battle.

and lastly

Addicts get treatment and stop if they so choose to...so barring all of the above if they are "addicts" then they can choose to get treatment and stop right??? so why don't they do that?

They understand the logic behind weight loss and just need to apply it to their life but don't because of a choice???
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

yes, Western diet, together with obesity, is spreading across the world (food industry has nothing to do with it of course).

Do other countries have the diet industry pushing crazy wrongs down their throat like we do here in american? Everyday it's a different diet on a different talk show.

My big thing is (since I already wrote how I don't get the signals) having to do maintenance, UNDERSTANDING i don't give up everything i've learned and go back to the old ways when i've lost the weight. I did that with WW years ago, this is the 2nd time i've gotten down to this weight. With WW I did it fast and after less then a year I chose the other plan they had of not counting points but suppose to be eating healthy and listening to my body cues of full etc. ha. I don't think i'll ever be able to trust myself with food.

Now I have spoke to people IN THIS DAY AND AGE that seem to not have an understanding of reading labels and counting calories to lose weight. They think diets only consist of the bizarre or very restrictive lifestyle and they seem unwilling to participate in those, SOOO is that why some CHOSE to stay obese? (1st I don't think they know they are obese, just overweight or I could stand to lose a few pounds) They don't want to have to do that crazy diet thing, it's too much work.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Lack of education.

That's fine.

sort of...

- you get my point...

as I mentioned previous for the sake of "debate". Alcoholics can get treatment and stop drinking...and lots never touch it again. Same with other drugs...

So these people who feel they are food addicts need to get in treatment and get help but don't...explain why not...

ETA: there is a post back a page or 2 where a woman admits to still having a food binge about once a week but yet she has managed to lose the weight...and maintain the weight loss for 2 years...by applying CICO to her life and allowing for the binge and saving calories and or reducing them later.

So by the logic of issues with food or addiction you can still apply the knowledge, lose the weight and maintain it....