WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    What I am dealing with this week:

For all the people who think that it is easy living on Social Security Insurance, or Supplemental Security Income (SSDI or SSI), let me tell you all about it. My son has been disabled since childhood. He gets SSI, which is for people who have no work history, or a very limited work history. He gets $753 a month to live on. That does not allow him to live very comfortably. How long would you last with only that amount to live on? So, I became disabled, and since I paid in to the Social Security system, I get SSDI- insurance. At that time, Peter started to get benefits from SSDI, so his SSI amount went down to almost nothing. He got the same total amount, but most of it from the insurance pot that I had paid in to. When I adopted the girls, they became eligible for SSDI benefits too, under the pot of money I paid in to. But that took away part of Peter's SSDI benefits. The clincher is that it takes the SSI pot of money TWO MONTHS to adjust to the change. So for two months, he is expected to live on $247! He basically lost $960 of his yearly income of only $9036. Since this is impossible for him to do- his rent and utilities are more than $250 alone, I am going to have to reimburse him out of my money. So for two months I will be supporting myself and two girls on only $1439. After that I will have the huge added benefit of $480 for the two girls. Oh, and I am not eligible for any food stamps on that amount. Peter gets about $80 a month in food stamps. Just think of all the people who want to not work and live like us- high on the hog!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    ~
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kevrit ~ Welcome back but sorry to hear about your job loss!

Miriam ~ My mom received about $800 a month in SS benefits and my sibs and I had to help her a lot for many years.

Wonderful weather here today but getting hotter as the week goes on.

Carol
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Lisa, great article. You are a very talented writer.

Cheri, I’m so excited that your hubby got two offers. I know this will make it easier on both of you and you’ll love becoming a Texan (if that is what you decide.)

Heather, thanks for the great pictures. I hope more will follow. You and your DH look stunning and I love the dress you bought. Woo Hoo.

Melanie, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Please tell us a bit more about yourself to help us get to know you. And please sign each post with your name and location to help those of us with less than stellar memories. If you think 54 sounds old, just wait until you start ticking off the years in your 60’s. lol But I’ll admit I feel so much better than I did in my 50’s since I’ve lost 60 pounds. I need to lose more but it goes a bit slower the closer I get. Come often.

Marcelyn, welcome home. Glad you had a good trip and I love the picture of the sea horse.

Betty, STOP EATING DESSERTS! We care and want to support you in this. 5249.gif

Janetr, I love the picture. It took me a minute to study it but then I picked you out.

Re, congrats on getting the scale to move and Way to Go on your celebration. Keep up the good work.

Heather, I absolutely love the picture of you crashing after a night of dancing. Did you know when DH took it?

I have enjoyed all the pictures in case I forgot to acknowledge any of them. I’ve read all but one page but need to leave for a Women of the Moose meeting. I worked out yesterday for the first time in a week, just because of scheduling. Woke up sore this am which tells me I did something. Tomorrow have nail appointment and then line dancing so that’s my exercise for Tuesday. Wednesday will head back to gym. I downloaded Windows 10 yestereday and not sure I will like it but just got tired of it asking me to do it. LOL
    I have a question for all you cooks. Can Tahini be used in anything other than hummus? I have such a large jar of it that I’m sure I’ll never use it all.
    pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! 65.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,949 Member
    Options
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    I have a question for the group...

My daughter has suggested that I put some time between a weight loss calorie schedule and a maintanence calorie schedule as a 'reward' for achieving a weight loss goal. She suggested that after every 20 lb loss I try 2 weeks on a calorie maintanence diet then after 2 weeks go back to my weight loss diet. This way I don't feel like I am on an endless diet. My goal will take me a long time to achieve and its appealing to build in mini 'goals' with a reward for each that keep me on target for the ultimate goal.

What do you think?

Charleen in Colorado (Hot, so darn hot...)

I eat almost exactly the same way now as I did when I was losing weight.....for me, I lost weight on a new eating plan that was meant for the rest of my life....I don't like to use food in any way as a "reward" for weight loss...there have been lots of rewards--new clothes, new exercise equipment, new adventures, but never food.

<3 Barbie

• barbiecat
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Mind if I come back? Just lost my job and need support on my weight loss and life's journey.

:)<3:) I am so glad to see you back with us....I have missed you. :)<3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DJ - No, I didn't know. >:) You can make a nice sauce with yoghurt, tahini, lemon juice and crushed garlic. Season to taste. It's a nice dip, or dressing for lamb, fish etc, or to drizzle on salad (not too much!) But then, I looooove tahini. :D

I'm a bit disappointed as I've finished the Spanish Duolingo and, although I can do revision, I want to move on to something more demanding. There don't seem to be any good advanced apps out there. I guess I'll just have to go for the real thing. I do read the news in Spanish, but rarely listen to it. I can get online Spanish magazines, but it's speaking practice I need.

Welcome back, kevrit.
    Heather UK
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts

Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 80
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing-22X10 X 30
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hello all of youuuuu :-) I drove my neighbor next door to get her prescription from Fred Meyers. She said I am a good little driver. Wow, that was nice of her to say! When I got home I attacked the storage room that is located on our 2nd floor balcony. I made husband go thru his art paints, his tools, getting rid of a lot of stuff. I went thru my garden stuff and donated containers, an extra pair of gloves and some fishy fertilizer, to the community garden down the street. I then went thru ALL my Christmas items and separated it all into piles for each son, and a small pile for us. I organized it all into the containers I had, with lots of bubble wrap, so each has a bit of the Christmas Gossett Treasures! I gave the M&M train set to middle son because I am hoping they give me grandchildren soon. I gave the set of 3 ornaments of The Three Stooges to youngest son, because well they look silly all separated. Each is doing the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" action. Eldest son gets the ceramic Christmas tree that lights up. Each rec'd an old ornament from my MIL. It was fun doing all of that, and when they come hopefully in Sept. I can give the two older sons their Christmas containers. This year will be a year of letting go. I am looking around this apartment and see pictures and things that I wish to give to family, so that's what I will do.

Rec'd a call from my youngest sons' recruiter. I guess when Owain got up this morning at the hotel, he pee'd then probably pee'd while he was doing stuff in the morning, SO when it was time to pee in a container for the doctors, well he didn't have any! Poor kid, no one told him about that. So he will be staying over night and doing that tomorrow, instead of coming home tonight. On the good side he took the ASVAB test (military entrance test) and scored a 98! His score at school when all the Juniors took is, was a 93. So having that score automatically qualifies him for the Nuclear Program! No stressful test to prove himself with that! I am so proud of that kid! Can't wait to talk to him tonight!

((((hugs)))))
    Becca
    Oregon
  • negrita466
    negrita466 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm having a difficult time. I am exercising taking vitamins, watching my calories, especially my sweets and seem to be stuck at the same weight. I'm frustrated but will continue hopefully I will get on the darn scale and find that I have lost at least 3 pds. Not much to ask for.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    <
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Charlene - My two cents worth...I decided to do maintenance for a couple of months after I hit my first goal (onederland). It didn't end well. Once I got out of the habit of limiting my calories to the "losing" number, it was incredibly hard to get back on track when I started back. I've ended up gaining some weight back. I chose to do it because I felt like I needed to reset my metabolism. I'm with the others about using food as a reward, though. That's a slippery slope.

I'm tired today (what else is new?) and would really like to take a nap!I have another 30 minutes or so of work then I'm headed out to run an errand and then go home. I've enjoyed sleeping with the windows open for the past few nights, but that has come to an end. I think one of the reasons I didn't sleep well was the full moon shining directly in my windows. It was gorgeous, though. I'm hoping to see the "Strawberry Moon" tonight!

So good to see you, Rita!! I'm sorry about your situation, though.

Happy summer!

:heart: Carol in NC

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    afternoon/evening ladies~
    I am home, I am in my jammies,and I am ready to pass out, I dont know how Tom does this every day?I was awake at 2 and it is 5:30 and I am ready for bed...
    tomorrow working 9-6 Diane the office manager said next time if Dr S does anything that upsets me just start crying, he will probably not really know how to react to that.. and lay off it
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Catching up after being offline all weekend. Not that it was a super busy weekend, I just was enjoying being unplugged for a couple of days.

Desanders68 – Welcome! I know you could setup a separate MFP profile for your son, but that requires logging in and out of the two accounts if you are the one tracking for both of you. I don’t know of a way to log for a second person under a single account, but you might try posting that question in one of the help forums.

Heather – I am excited for you to start the Spanish Duolingo program, and a little bit jealous. I purchased an online Spanish course about a year ago when I started working with our offices in Latin America, but I have not gotten past lesson one. Maybe you will inspire me to pick it up again. Love the pics and you look fabulous in your new dress!

Lisa – I enjoyed your article on perception vs. reality. You’ve shown us again what a talented writer you are. Bravo!

Cheri – So excited to hear that your hubby is getting the job offer he really wants! Enjoy your trip to Texas. I was thinking that I had visited College Station once years ago, but then I looked it up on a map and I must be thinking of somewhere else. Guess my mind is starting to go… No more snow is right – that will be quite a climate change for you if you do move to Texas.

Feral Cats – Not sure who started that topic, so just going to address all. First, there is a difference between feral and stray cats, so it might be good to determine if they are feral meaning wild cats that are not friendly with humans or stray meaning they’ve probably been around people but have been lost or wandered off or something. Another difference is that feral cats often live in groups while a stray may be on its’ own. Feral cats cannot usually be tamed, but stray cats may already be tame. Second, if you have a local animal control, you can call the animal control and ask that they come to try to catch the cats. If they are caught, they would be turned over to a shelter. Different shelters treat feral cats differently. Some will simply spay and release a truly feral cat because they cannot be tamed to be good house pets and spaying them at least helps keep the population from growing. Of course, there are some shelters that may euthanize them. The shelter I work with will spay and then try to find someone looking for a barn cat to adopt the feral cat. Feral kittens can often be tamed and adopted out as house pets if they are socialized with humans early enough. I don’t know specifically about keeping them out of your garage, but they are going there looking for shelter. So, the best solution is to somehow find them another form of shelter. Anyway, that is enough on kitties. Good luck!

Melanie in Baton Rouge and SelenaC2016 – Welcome!

JanetR – I had you pegged as the sister in dark pink as well. LOL. I guess that just means you all have a family resemblance. You certainly do resemble your mother now. Beautiful family! Don’t see too many families with six kids (let alone six girls) anymore. I grew up with three sisters and one brother. Good thing my parents did not stop after they had one girl and one boy, because I never would have been born.

OK, just got to the bottom of page 50 and I will pause here, post, and catch up later this evening!

Linda/IA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh I had such a wonderful time today. There were a total of 10 of us. More of us would have been to many. I did mention going out to eat since another girl who was asked to come but didn't think she knew the hostess and didn't feel comfortable in going to her house. But the people who were not members of our regular lunch group didn't like the idea of going out when we could go to some one's house like we did today. Everyone pitched in real nice so we had a nice meal. It was not calorie conscious at all, home made schnicker doodle cookies and pecan pie, cheesy potato casserole. The hostess made chicken salad and a nice green salad that also had strawberries and manderin oranges in it. Lots of laughter and remembering old times. It was agreed by all that health care back then was the best even though it was not computerized.

When Charlie and I were first thinking about buying our forever home, we picked a lot right out by the hostess house. But we were going to have to have a cistern and didn't want that. I would have been able to keep up with this lovely woman all these years. Social media has its bad points but it does put people together again.

Joyce, Indiana
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Mind if I come back? Just lost my job and need support on my weight loss and life's journey.

I was just asking about you last week! Welcome back.

I'm so sorry about the job loss, but so happy to see you again.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    Just finished a walk with my dogs and made my 10000steps. I was able to set aside 2 pairs of pants and 2 tops for Goodwill that are too big. I applied for unemployment and started a disability claim. Those of you that know me now know I've lost a total of 3 jobs now because of anxiety and depression, so giving up on full time work. Got a lot done today a lot more to do tomorrow. Under my calorie goal so overall, not a bad day.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Linda/IA funny you mentioned that it was a good thing your parents didn't stop at one boy and one girl. When my Mom found out she was pregnant with #5 they decided that was enough, so Dad had a vasectomy. Imagine their surprise at finding out #6 was on the way when #5 was only four months old. Oops. I always told them I was the best mistake they ever made. :)
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) I love all the pictures especially the one with Heather exhausted after all her fun on the cruise and the ones that Penny posted of the far north.

:)Alison, I am in bed by 7:30 every night so I can be up and moving by 3:30...if I had to be up at 2:00 like Tom, I'd be in bed by 6:00.....I just think of myself as living in a different time zone from everyone else in my life...I have a hard time thinking about staying up til midnight or later like so many people do.

:)DJ, It always makes me happy when you mention line dancing...even though we can't dance together, it makes me feel closer to you,

:)Lisa, your work with the newspaper along with you sales and everything else you do is amazing...I admire you a lot.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

146200.png

“The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."-- Yutang Lin