Obesity Journal study: It's not just CICO

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    While I do know some people who seemingly did well on a low fat diet, my experience was dramatic. I did lose weight on low fat. But I also lost hair, suffered dry skin, constipation, and although I didn't realize it, my brain was foggy. When I stalled out on a low fat Weight Watchers approach, I decided what the heck this isn't working and went to Atkins. All of a sudden I could think again, it was like waking up from a "stupid" dream and realizing I was a much smarter cookie than I remembered being. I got Atkins' flu, though, and that was pretty unacceptable. Being the stubborn person I am, I stuck with it. Now I realize that for me, something inbetween (imagine that) is optimal. I eat about 60 net carbs a day, adequate protein, 1200-1300 calories and I am feeling terrific. I eat 3 meals a day or 2 meals and one snackmeal. This might not work for everyone, but I am energetic, not sleepy after meals, not achey, not stupid. I sort of naturally do a 16/8 pattern. And I would agree that past attempts have definitely involved some white knuckling, teeth gritting, breath holding days while this is the opposite. I have found what works for me.

Karen

I had a very similar experience and do better on 16/8 . I also do better eating 3 meals instead of 6. I would get cravings eating so many small meals (probably from releasing insulin all day). I cut down on white refined flour, high fructose corn syrup, and sugar. I eat more vegetables and combine the carbs I eat in a meal with protein. These things prevent cravings for me. I don't know why certain people have a problem with me cutting out sugar? I don't have the sluggish chronic fatigue and muscle pain and am more alert and happy.

The problem that I have is getting enough healthy fat in while staying at 1200 calories. Oil has a lot of calories, so I ended up cutting them out as much as possible, and my weight loss stalled. Now I am on a plateau with only 10 pounds left to go. I'm thinking of temporarily going high fat low carb short term to lose a few pounds and then will go back to the low glycemic program I prefer for maintenance. I don't want keto flu and want to be smart about how to do this properly.

I had posted a link to an interesting Harvard study discussing about the differences between low-glycemic, high fat/low carb or high carb/low fat up-thread. They found that low glycemic is effective as is low carb/ high fat. I have trouble staying on high fat/low carb long term because I will miss my favorite foods within a few weeks. It is easy for me to switch from my favorites to low-glycemic versions instead.

I am familiar with the white knuckling with high carb/low fat. So I'm going to experiment to find out what macro percentage combo works optimally for me. If other people like another method that is perfectly great! Go for it! But people who try to stick with something that isn't working for them should try to find their success path and switch things up, IMO.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @psulemon When I was eating a low fat diet it was truly low fat (</= 22g/d). I wouldn't know what people who follow LCHF "always talk about". I don't follow anything now except what works for me, so if it fits into some formula, so be it.

I now eat about 60% of the fat you eat, @psulemon, and it feels like plenty, so it's all relative, I guess. My 1200-1300 calories is usually about 60net grams carb, 90-100g protein, and about 50-60g fat. Works really well for me. I have energy for exercise, don't feel hungry, have good hair & skin, no heartburn.

I have 2 vegetarian friends who thrive on a high carb, adequate fat, lower protein diet, though. They don't seem to have issues with insulin resistance and they are both apparently experiencing optimal health. That diet would not work for me.
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Crisseyda wrote: »

I don't even know where to start with that horrible advice. You already claim it's "unquestionably true," but hopefully my response can help someone else.

I feel I've thoroughly explained how excess insulin promotes both diabetes and obesity. It's a direct causal effect. Give people insulin: they get hungry, they gain weight, they develop insulin resistance. Completely take away insulin (as in the case of type 1 diabetes, for example): you get extreme weight loss.

If the body responded to all foods exactly the same, balancing calories with activity level would be all you need to know for weight loss--yet, that diet seems to fail time and time again (as evidenced by the origin of this thread). However, the body doesn't respond the same to all foods. Different foods promote different hormonal responses. Additionally, some foods are more nutrient dense and satiating, while other are not.

There is nothing in whole grains, for example, that you can't get from other foods with a whole lot less carbohydrate and calorie density. Not to mention, the vast majority of "whole grains" available on the market are nothing more than pulverized flour, which has separated the fiber from the starch, negating its benefit, causing large spikes in both blood glucose and insulin.

If people are trying to prevent or treat type 2 diabetes, the goal is to lower insulin levels. A low fat diet is simply a terrible idea. Fats stimulate very little insulin response, and they are satiating. They are an excellent source of calories for healing insulin resistance and promoting weight loss. Fats from nature are completely benign, and there are mountains of evidence available to question and disprove the tired diet-heart hypothesis (dietary cholesterol causes heart disease). Take the Framingham Study, for example. Once they went back and looked at the data, separating man-made fats from natural fats: margarine was linked to heart disease, while butter was linked to heart health. Clearly made-made fats with excess omega 6s and trans fats are toxic. The big picture here is that not all foods are created equal, and when you start looking at the details, foods in their natural state do the best job of keeping the heart healthy and keeping insulin levels normal.

Additionally, grazing throughout the day is another terrible idea. You're just continuously spiking insulin levels, protecting that stored fat from being used for energy. Avoiding snacking, skipping meals, and intermittent fasting are extremely powerful techniques for healing insulin resistance, allowing insulin levels to drop, and letting the body shift toward using stored glycogen and fat for energy.

The advice sucks, IMO. But what really sucks is how many people are struggling, hungry all the time, eating processed garbage that they think is "healthy," white-knuckling their way to weight loss, killing their metabolisms, and being blamed by everyone around them (including the healthcare professionals) for their failure.

Here's a literature review for you from Diabesity on effective treatments for hyperinsulinemia and the related metabolic diseases: http://diabesity.ejournals.ca/index.php/diabesity/article/viewFile/21/65
    It comes down to exercise, carbohydrate restriction, and fasting. There ya go!

You didn't thoroughly explain how excessive insulin works. You linked us to an article of ones guys hypothesis based on ridiculous assumptions. Of course someone, who has normal insulin production, would gain weight when you overload their body with more insulin. You would get the same response if you could get your body to over produce the enzyme ASP because it will suppress HSL. It's literally a ludicrous argument.

Regarding the bold, I know how much you love your way of eating and that is awesome, but it doesn't take away the fact that all diets have roughly a 80-90% failure rate. That is why there are so many methods out there. You need to find a dietary style that supports your goals. And there is no universal one size fits all.

Regarding your grazing comment. That is utterly false. You assume that people only snack with pure carbs and it completely ignores a persons ability to regulate insulin. In fact, some people do very well with eating often. The only thing that matters is having longer periods of lipolysis compared to lipogenesis. Holding calories and macros equivalent, fasting will not promote greater fat loss.

There is a percentage of the population who can lose weight by simply dropping daily calories no matter what the combo. They don't have issues with insulin resistance. Often those are the ones who tell the ones who do have to drop carbs down that their perspective is false because it doesn't work in their experience.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hell big pharma is the reason why insulin shots exist.

NOPE, the man who won the Nobel for isolating insulin, Dr. Banting, gave his patent away for free because he believed this life-saving drug should be available to everyone who needed it. Big Pharma is the reason new (but not necessarily more effective) versions of insulin are constantly created when patents run out so that they can keep the prices as high as possible.

Insulin is an amazing drug for type 1 diabetics. It's the reason two of my immediate family members are still alive today. Insulin, however, is a horrible treatment for type 2 diabetics, and does nothing to cure the root cause of their disease, but instead exacerbates it.

Lantus was #6 in the top 10 most profitable drugs in 2014, grossing 7.28 billion. http://qz.com/349929/best-selling-drugs-in-the-world/
    The diabetes epidemic is nothing but good news to the only 3 companies in the US that produce insulin: Eli Lilly, Sanofi and Novo Nordisk. With that kind of money on the line, do you think they would be careless enough to share nutrition advice that actually enabled people to prevent their potential or stop their current use of insulin?

That nutrition advice is confusing garbage for good reason.

@psulemon

Searching through the web you can find so many examples of people who stopped T2 diabetes in its tracks by not listening to the stupid ADA, and not listening to their stupid doctor. They simply cut out refined sugar, fruit juice and grains from their diet, limited fruit consumption, and Voila! - no T2 diabetes.

But without funding from Big Pharma, the ADA would be mostly out of business. So they recommend a too-high carb diet, which keeps people or makes people diabetic. It is criminal, and it is a disgrace.

And if you watch cable news, you are inundated with the latest and greatest diabetes drug. And next year there will be another one that reduces blood sugars 1% more than the current one.

Dr. Banting is rolling in his grave.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    So, what of the things are BS IYO? Eating amounts of food according to your activity level?
    A varied diet of healthy foods?
    Lots of vegetables and fruit?
    Limiting trans fats and sat fats?
    Not too much salt?
    Reducing added sugars?
    Sensible amounts of alcohol?
    Making sustainable changes?

Man, just look at all that crap.

It's funny how you left out certian items that even you know are indefensible garbage.

The only thing wrong is that breakfast stimulates the metabolism.
    The things I listed are unquestionably true, the other things I left out are a matter of preference.
    So again, since you said it's mostly BS. What is BS of all those things? Because there's literally just 1 thing in the list that is incorrect.
    In before "eat all the saturated fat your body can hold because it's gud for you"
    Long rant about how insulin is horrible

You still haven't anwered my question.
    What was *kitten*?
    The part about making changes that are sustainable for you?
    Or eating your veggies?
    Having a varied diet to get all your nutrients?

• gonetothedogs19
    Options
    Hell big pharma is the reason why insulin shots exist.

NOPE, the man who won the Nobel for isolating insulin, Dr. Banting, gave his patent away for free because he believed this life-saving drug should be available to everyone who needed it. Big Pharma is the reason new (but not necessarily more effective) versions of insulin are constantly created when patents run out so that they can keep the prices as high as possible.

Insulin is an amazing drug for type 1 diabetics. It's the reason two of my immediate family members are still alive today. Insulin, however, is a horrible treatment for type 2 diabetics, and does nothing to cure the root cause of their disease, but instead exacerbates it.

Lantus was #6 in the top 10 most profitable drugs in 2014, grossing 7.28 billion. http://qz.com/349929/best-selling-drugs-in-the-world/
    The diabetes epidemic is nothing but good news to the only 3 companies in the US that produce insulin: Eli Lilly, Sanofi and Novo Nordisk. With that kind of money on the line, do you think they would be careless enough to share nutrition advice that actually enabled people to prevent their potential or stop their current use of insulin?

That nutrition advice is confusing garbage for good reason.

@psulemon

Searching through the web you can find so many examples of people who stopped T2 diabetes in its tracks by not listening to the stupid ADA, and not listening to their stupid doctor. They simply cut out refined sugar, fruit juice and grains from their diet, limited fruit consumption, and Voila! - no T2 diabetes.

But without funding from Big Pharma, the ADA would be mostly out of business. So they recommend a too-high carb diet, which keeps people or makes people diabetic. It is criminal, and it is a disgrace.

And if you watch cable news, you are inundated with the latest and greatest diabetes drug. And next year there will be another one that reduces blood sugars 1% more than the current one.

Dr. Banting is rolling in his grave.

That isn't how government works.

It's how the ADA works. You should see their suggested recipes. Carbs and sugar to diabetics, which spikes blood sugar, which requires insulin and/or the other newfangled drugs Big Pharma is making big bucks on. It is a disgrace.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    @gonetothedogs19

You are absolutely correct.

The dieticians who do diabetic teaching follow ADA guidelines, & teach both Type I and Type II diabetics to eat two 15-30g carb snacks per day and three 45-60g carb meals each day for up to 240g carbs per day...almost 1000 calories of carbs... and to their credit, they used to teach 45g carb per snack and 75g per meal, so this is an improvement. Type I diabetes & Type II diabetes are polar opposites as far as management and should not have EVER been lumped together in diabetic teaching guidelines. I went to diabetic teaching classes with a newly diagnosed relative 3 years ago.

My doctor, who just happens to be a non-surgical Bariatric Endocrinologist NEVER sends his patients for diabetic teaching because they are still in the dark ages about the impact of carbs on insulin-resistant patients. I am not diabetic, but probably pre-diabetic. Do I wish I could eat 240g carbs per day? Yes. Isn't going to happen.

I am so lucky to have a doctor who is brilliant and understands insulin resistance.

I realize I am suggesting a conspiracy theory (Big Pharma funds the ADA, so in turn the ADA recommends bad diets to diabetics, making them reliant on Big Pharma). And I hate conspiracy theories.

The only other explanation is that the ADA would be completely embarrassed and humiliated if they admitted that their dietary advise for the last 40 years has been a disaster.

So it's one or the other - conspiracy, or the inability to admit they were wrong. There can be no other explanations.
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It is so very sad when individuals are given advice that doesn't work for them and then are made to feel like they aren't following the program(even when they are). Sad indeed. And then patients are falsely accused of not following the bad advice that was given to them because they aren't getting expected results doctors would expect.. The doctors in good faith are (at times) only passing on faulty recommendations from organizations thinking that it is good advice.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Personal agenda is deep in this thread. To each their own.

^^ This. Not only this thread.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    After being up and down 100+ pounds I can tell you that if you are only concerned about the scale you are going to fail!

I am no scientist, I only speak for my own body. The reality is if you lose weight fast the body fights to add it back. They say 80% diet and 20% exercise for weightloss. The truth is you need continous exercise when you lose weight. You have to fool the body and spend time keeping it off for a substaintal time.

Again, I am no scientist but I am also not a desperate reality TV star. It takes 3 months of consistency to make it a habit. No crash course will resolve that. It's reports like these that feed into hysteria.

Truth is the modern western diet has tooo many calories. Too much processed food. Too little nutritionally dense food. Want to live a long life? Want to weigh less?

Consume less.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of endocrinologists out there who do get it. This has no bearing on people who are not insulin resistant (like the friends I alluded to in an earlier post who eat about 80% carbs and are thriving.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    While I do know some people who seemingly did/do well on a low fat diet, my experience was dramatic. I did lose weight on low fat. But I also lost hair, suffered dry skin, constipation, and although I didn't realize it, my brain was foggy.

I actually do quite well on low fat. I lost a bunch of weight doing low fat once (I felt great and effortlessly was not hungry, since for me eating lots of vegetables and fruit works well). I changed my diet to a higher (not high) fat one, since I simply like a lot of fattier foods (olive oil, cheese, eggs, nuts, chicken with skin, a variety of cuts of meat, although not the highest fat ones most of the time), so enjoyed my diet more when it was less restrictive. But I felt perfectly good and energetic on the lower fat plan.

Subsequently I did a plant based Lent (I traditionally do vegetarian Lent and wanted to try something more difficult), and because I didn't really focus on getting plant-based sources of fat it ended up being quite low fat. I wasn't trying to lose weight but I felt really good and all my clothes quickly became too big. (I regained once I changed my diet back.)

I will probably stay with moderate fat, moderate carbs (for me that's a lot more carbs than for you -- I do about 40-50% carbs at maintenance, since there's no need to eat more than 20% protein and 30% fat tends to work well for me -- this is where I naturally tend to fall since I don't really focus on how many carbs vs. fat, just protein minimum and eating lots of vegetables and a good diet overall). But that's not because I think lower fat would have any negative effects for me at all. I also found this series quite interesting (I've linked it before): https://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/

On the whole I think macro choice is going to be individual, although I do agree with those who find the Blue Zones compelling evidence against the idea (annoyingly preached by some) that carbs are bad and we should all be low carb.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    New York Times story details that a study of Biggest Loser contestants found they regained much of the weight they lost and ruined their metabolism -- all had metabolisms that burned much less than a person their weight should have been burning.

So, OK, it is CICO, but if you're overweight and trying to lose weight, it may mean that your calories in is a lot lower than your calculated BMR or TDEE. So the question is, how do we get our BMR really tested....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

This study debunks the popular myth that metabolism isn't slowed by dieting.

For people who ate an aggressively low number of calories while doing an aggressively high amount of exercise for an extended period of time, yes. Not the conditions the average person diets under.

My body fights to put back weight and I have never eaten aggressively lower than 1200 calories while exercising for an extended time. I'm happy you don't experience this. I struggle to lose pounds and my body seriously wants to put them back as soon as I go back to maintenance mode. It is a battle! Now I actively diet just to stay at maintenance weight, so I feel like I am always dieting. My Body Used To Work INTUITUVELY to maintain. Now I must force it to maintain at my new and lower weight.

This is interesting, and I'm curious what precisely you mean. When you say your body "fights" do you mean you are hungry? Or just that you easily regain when not watching calories? That you think you gain on fewer calories than you should (so that you have had metabolic adaptation)? Have you done the math to see if your TDEE has changed beyond what would be expected over time?

I used to be able to maintain at an acceptable weight without thinking about it at all, and now I cannot, but I don't think the reason is physical. I think it has to do with activity and environment. (And when I'm active and mindful I tend to be able to maintain okay, although if I let one or the other drop I can put back on weight quite easily.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Personal agenda is deep in this thread. To each their own.

Yup.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    New York Times story details that a study of Biggest Loser contestants found they regained much of the weight they lost and ruined their metabolism -- all had metabolisms that burned much less than a person their weight should have been burning.

So, OK, it is CICO, but if you're overweight and trying to lose weight, it may mean that your calories in is a lot lower than your calculated BMR or TDEE. So the question is, how do we get our BMR really tested....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

This study debunks the popular myth that metabolism isn't slowed by dieting.

For people who ate an aggressively low number of calories while doing an aggressively high amount of exercise for an extended period of time, yes. Not the conditions the average person diets under.

My body fights to put back weight and I have never eaten aggressively lower than 1200 calories while exercising for an extended time. I'm happy you don't experience this. I struggle to lose pounds and my body seriously wants to put them back as soon as I go back to maintenance mode. It is a battle! Now I actively diet just to stay at maintenance weight, so I feel like I am always dieting. My Body Used To Work INTUITUVELY to maintain. Now I must force it to maintain at my new and lower weight.

This is interesting, and I'm curious what precisely you mean. When you say your body "fights" do you mean you are hungry? Or just that you easily regain when not watching calories? That you think you gain on fewer calories than you should (so that you have had metabolic adaptation)? Have you done the math to see if your TDEE has changed beyond what would be expected over time?

I used to be able to maintain at an acceptable weight without thinking about it at all, and now I cannot, but I don't think the reason is physical. I think it has to do with activity and environment. (And when I'm active and mindful I tend to be able to maintain okay, although if I let one or the other drop I can put back on weight quite easily.)

We have such different experiences that I realize I couldn't possibly explain this sufficiently to satisfy you.