• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    New York Times story details that a study of Biggest Loser contestants found they regained much of the weight they lost and ruined their metabolism -- all had metabolisms that burned much less than a person their weight should have been burning.

So, OK, it is CICO, but if you're overweight and trying to lose weight, it may mean that your calories in is a lot lower than your calculated BMR or TDEE. So the question is, how do we get our BMR really tested....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

This study debunks the popular myth that metabolism isn't slowed by dieting.

For people who ate an aggressively low number of calories while doing an aggressively high amount of exercise for an extended period of time, yes. Not the conditions the average person diets under.

My body fights to put back weight and I have never eaten aggressively lower than 1200 calories while exercising for an extended time. I'm happy you don't experience this. I struggle to lose pounds and my body seriously wants to put them back as soon as I go back to maintenance mode. It is a battle! Now I actively diet just to stay at maintenance weight, so I feel like I am always dieting. My Body Used To Work INTUITUVELY to maintain. Now I must force it to maintain at my new and lower weight.

This is interesting, and I'm curious what precisely you mean. When you say your body "fights" do you mean you are hungry? Or just that you easily regain when not watching calories? That you think you gain on fewer calories than you should (so that you have had metabolic adaptation)? Have you done the math to see if your TDEE has changed beyond what would be expected over time?

I used to be able to maintain at an acceptable weight without thinking about it at all, and now I cannot, but I don't think the reason is physical. I think it has to do with activity and environment. (And when I'm active and mindful I tend to be able to maintain okay, although if I let one or the other drop I can put back on weight quite easily.)

We have such different experiences that I realize I couldn't possibly explain this sufficiently to satisfy you.

How much weight do you put back on when you transition to maintenance because a few lbs is going to be common. With an increase is calories, you generally also have an increase in carbs (more glycogen), may have more sodium (more water) and greater volume (more waste).

If you were doing 1200 calories and exercise for a good period of time, you could possible have suppressed your resting metabolic rate and lowered your projected or average TDEE. This is one reason to slowly increase calories when going to maintenance.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs are bad. I love carbs! I wish I could be like my 2 vegetarian friends whose diets consist of 80% carbs. They are both believers in eating whole foods, as it turns out. They are both incredible healthy.

Unfortunately I am insulin resistant. I know this because I see an endocrinologist and have had tests which bear this out. I feel better and lose weight more easily on about 60 net g carbs per day.

I am curious...several people on this thread seem to be bent on categorizing one's approach as high this or low that...what category would I fit into? Not that it will make a bit of difference, because I am going to eat what works best for me, regardless of the arbitrary categories that are being discussed. But I have to admit, all this labeling & categorizing has peaked my curiosity. What would a 1200 calorie diet with 65g fat, 60g net carbs, and 90g protein be labeled as?
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @lemurcat12 It sounds as if a number of different macro ratios work well for you. I am guessing you didn't experience dry skin, hair loss, constipation, or stupidity on a low fat diet. How many grams of fat were you eating per day? What exactly is a low fat diet, anyway. In fact what the heck are the parameters for low, moderate, and high in each of the macro categories. Is there a resource? This topic is being discussed ad nauseum on numerous threads and I just realized I really don't know the parameters that constitute low or high.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs are bad. I love carbs! I wish I could be like my 2 vegetarian friends whose diets consist of 80% carbs. They are both believers in eating whole foods, as it turns out. They are both incredible healthy.

Unfortunately I am insulin resistant. I know this because I see an endocrinologist and have had tests which bear this out. I feel better and lose weight more easily on about 60 net g carbs per day.

I am curious...several people on this thread seem to be bent on categorizing one's approach as high this or low that...what category would I fit into? Not that it will make a bit of difference, because I am going to eat what works best for me, regardless of the arbitrary categories that are being discussed. But I have to admit, all this labeling & categorizing has peaked my curiosity. What would a 1200 calorie diet with 65g fat, 60g net carbs, and 90g protein be labeled as?

With a name like ketone Karen, I just assumed you were keto. You're eating about 80g (I'm assuming you get around 20ish g of fiber, but that may be an overestimate) of total carbs, so I'd say you're pretty moderate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    New York Times story details that a study of Biggest Loser contestants found they regained much of the weight they lost and ruined their metabolism -- all had metabolisms that burned much less than a person their weight should have been burning.

So, OK, it is CICO, but if you're overweight and trying to lose weight, it may mean that your calories in is a lot lower than your calculated BMR or TDEE. So the question is, how do we get our BMR really tested....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

This study debunks the popular myth that metabolism isn't slowed by dieting.

For people who ate an aggressively low number of calories while doing an aggressively high amount of exercise for an extended period of time, yes. Not the conditions the average person diets under.

My body fights to put back weight and I have never eaten aggressively lower than 1200 calories while exercising for an extended time. I'm happy you don't experience this. I struggle to lose pounds and my body seriously wants to put them back as soon as I go back to maintenance mode. It is a battle! Now I actively diet just to stay at maintenance weight, so I feel like I am always dieting. My Body Used To Work INTUITUVELY to maintain. Now I must force it to maintain at my new and lower weight.

This is interesting, and I'm curious what precisely you mean. When you say your body "fights" do you mean you are hungry? Or just that you easily regain when not watching calories? That you think you gain on fewer calories than you should (so that you have had metabolic adaptation)? Have you done the math to see if your TDEE has changed beyond what would be expected over time?

I used to be able to maintain at an acceptable weight without thinking about it at all, and now I cannot, but I don't think the reason is physical. I think it has to do with activity and environment. (And when I'm active and mindful I tend to be able to maintain okay, although if I let one or the other drop I can put back on weight quite easily.)

We have such different experiences that I realize I couldn't possibly explain this sufficiently to satisfy you.

My impression is that you have some distorted idea of what my experience is. But I admit I'm curious. You seem to think it's super easy for me, and much harder for you.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I'm not "bent on it," but I'd think of that as moderately high fat, low carb.

When I did 1250 I was lower carb (in my view) too -- around 45 g fat, 100 g carbs, 110 g protein as my goals, although it varied some and I mostly cared about protein. When I started having enough exercise calories to eat more like 1500+ on average, I went to 40-30-30 (or about 150 g carbs, 112 g protein, 50 g fat). Now at maintenance it's more like the MFP default -- 50-20-30, although I'm often a bit low on carbs and high on the other too naturally.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Over time I have had to eat less to continue losing. I have to eat about 250 less per day now to maintain the same amount of weight loss. This is pretty widely known.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've also heard people on the Biggest Loser were encouraged to do speed and stuff to lose faster for television purposes.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    @lemurcat12 It sounds as if a number of different macro ratios work well for you. I am guessing you didn't experience dry skin, hair loss, constipation, or stupidity on a low fat diet. How many grams of fat were you eating per day? What exactly is a low fat diet, anyway. In fact what the heck are the parameters for low, moderate, and high in each of the macro categories. Is there a resource? This topic is being discussed ad nauseum on numerous threads and I just realized I really don't know the parameters that constitute low or high.

Low fat is normally considered under 30%, although very low fat diets like those promoted by people like Ornish and some of the others discussed by Denise Minger in the piece I linked and its sequel are more like 10%.

When I did low fat I wasn't counting precisely (not calories either, although I lost weight easily), but I was eating a lot less fat than when I subsequently did 45 g on 1250. I'd estimate it was like 20%. I suppose I could log some sample days to get a better sense.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Oh, and I agree that a number of different macros work well for me. I find that food choice within the macros makes a lot more difference for me than how much fat vs. carbs I get (I do find that keeping protein around 100 g is helpful).
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @auddii I was trying to change my name and a number of options came up on a name finder. I chose several and most of them had been taken. I picked this one and voila could not change it again...my mistake...having said that, I do dip in & out of ketosis, I am sure, as I try to eat mainly protein & fat in the morning & more of my carbs in the evening because it works with my morning insulin resistance better. I don't actually test with the strips but I assume that there are times when I am in ketosis. Makes no difference to me one way or the other.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OK so @lemurcat12 do you mind my asking how many calories you eat on maintenance? If that's too nosy, don't fret. I am just trying to get a grip on what someone who started out around the same calories I am on eats on maintenance.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wow a 10% fat diet would be 120 calories or 13 grams of fat a day. Ugh. 30% would be about 40g and that wouldn't be so bad. I guess I was on approximately 15%, then, when I was on low fat diet. It was too low for me, I didn't feel well.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio and live in a city so walk a good amount in daily life, and can maintain on around 2200 with that.

When I started my maintenance was probably around the same, but I was much more sedentary, so I was lucky enough to be able to raise my calories throughout the time I was losing.
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Over time I have had to eat less to continue losing. I have to eat about 250 less per day now to maintain the same amount of weight loss. This is pretty widely known.

You would certainly have a decrease in metabolic functions and maybe have a decrease in NEAT/TEA, but it's not always true. Whether I was 220 or 175 (current), I have always maintained at 3000 calories. Even if my metabolic functions have decreased, I increase expenditure through harder exercise (I have always worked out for 5-6 hours per week, so it would be the fact that I push myself harder) and more daily movements.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @lemurcat12 that is exactly what I have in mind, going to up my exercise from 4-5 Jazzercise sessions a week by adding some StrongLifts & daily walking. My job involves being on my feet all day, so that helps some.
  • violajunerose
    violajunerose Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm the only person who got lost in the thread when you guys started using acronyms. TDEE? MDA, MBA, MFAA, TDLFGHAFOWE WTF?
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

You would certainly have a decrease in metabolic functions and maybe have a decrease in NEAT/TEA, but it's not always true. Whether I was 220 or 175 (current), I have always maintained at 3000 calories. Even if my metabolic functions have decreased, I increase expenditure through harder exercise (I have always worked out for 5-6 hows, so it would be the fact that I push myself harder) and more daily movements.

You work out 5 or 6 hours every day? Wow! Are you a personal trainer or something of that nature?

• psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

You would certainly have a decrease in metabolic functions and maybe have a decrease in NEAT/TEA, but it's not always true. Whether I was 220 or 175 (current), I have always maintained at 3000 calories. Even if my metabolic functions have decreased, I increase expenditure through harder exercise (I have always worked out for 5-6 hows, so it would be the fact that I push myself harder) and more daily movements.

You work out 5 or 6 hours every day? Wow! Are you a personal trainer or something of that nature?

Sorry, I edited my post. I workout 5-6 hours a week. I have a desk job actually.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    TDEE=total daily energy expenditure, basically maintenance calories including all activity.

NEAT=I forget what it stands for, but maintenance without intentional exercise but including other daily activity

BMR=basel metabolic rate, or in other words maintenance if you did not move at all but were lying in bed all day with only bodily functions to burn calories

RMR=resting metabolic rate, similar to BMR but more like you are sitting around only vs. in a coma