WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Replies

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Kim, Oh my goodness, that garden sounds HEAVENLY <3<3<3
    And, I'm almost six feet tall...there are pluses and minuses to that. :wink:

Linda, best of luck on your 5K, how exciting!

Janetr, that is one of my favorite quotes, too.

Larisa

• debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Just finished reading all of today's posts. Congrats to all successes and prayers for those who need them.
    Was prepared to grocery shop and go to the gym. DH got dressed, then told me he was having chest pains. So off to ER. Did not have a heart attack, but has a long history of heart problems. Morphine took care of the pain but he started having chest pain again about 8 hrs later. He has 3 aneurisms in his heart so the dr will be looking at that. Just not sure when testing will be done.
    DD was planning to move in with us August 1. She has to be out of her rented room in a week so is moving furniture in this weekend to be stored until buyer can pick it up.
    Oh well, you have to be flexible.
    DebbieTX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited July 2016
    Larrisa, I bet you get a lot of whistles when you wear your red dress! You need to wear red all the time. You look fantastic.

Mary, Minn i was so glad when Charlie's surgeon said he could resume driving. I could tell when he was feeling better. He started 'critiquing' my driving. That's a nice way of saying he was cussing me out for almost every turn and parking I did. He is an aggressive driver. I don't mind waiting for a car that is coming to pass then turn out. I know I could probably make it but why should I when I can just pull out leisurely, I'm not holding anyone back. We don't have a big schedule. I always make sure i leave early anyway. I got that from my parents. So now he drives and I hold onto my oops handle all the time. I know when he says hang on that he is pulling out when he shouldn't.

I did get my stuff at Walmart today. I just haven't fixed his pants yet.

Well the bag I put on yesterday leaked today. I'm not sure what I did wrong except that I tried to straighten the adhesive because it wasn't even. The bag has a barrier and then an adhesive. It's the barrier that keeps the poop away from the skin. The adhesive is just an extra added adhesive to make sure it's on. The one I used today is the one I was hoping would be his forever bag. These bags come in either one piece or two piece. The tow piece has a barrier you put on the skin first and then you put the actual bag on. Most of them have kind of like a tupperware seal on them. This particular brand has an adhesive permanent seal to it. The barrier piece is kind of oval and you put the bag on it. But the shape of the oval puts it over his belly button. So I put it vertical instead of it's normal horizontal position it is meant to go. There is still a little that goes over the belly button and you have to actually cut that piece out. I don't have great confidence that it will work. But this bag has a vent in it so it doesn't fill up with gas and you are going around with this bubble under your clothing. The gas just automatically releases itself. Charlie's skin just itches all over. He wanted me to use the adhesive remover pad on his skin today. I gave the pad to him and said go to it. He needs to be doing something for himself regarding this. Today he was just sitting and pondering and said how awful it would be for some one in their 30's to have one. It has really affected his confidence in himself. At the grocery store today I leaned back against him and he wanted to know what I was doing. I said I was just leaning back on him. We were waiting in line and why not lean on my husband? He didn't put his arms around my waist or anything so I took my arms and put them behind me and wrapped them around his back. He just looks so unhappy so much. I think he needs to see his grand children. They always give him a boost.

Kim, that job sounds built just for you. And the extra jobs. WOW, paid and get all your fresh veggies while she is gone.

Joyce, Indiana
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    DJ Relax & enjoy the tennis! tennis-smash-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kim in N. California Is this part of the garden at Camp Arroyo? It looks like a fabulous place for kids with disabilities, right? How wonderful! Looks like you will be enabling some Horticulture Therapy, no? 9k2lxhzkft74.jpg

Re - that's a good man. I bet you pat him right back.

Linda IA Awesome! I've been thinking of doing couch to 5K... Have fun! running-smiley-emoticon.gif

Larisa - Ooh la la!!! Red is your color. Lovely photo!

Mary Minnesota - I love your helpful pup, he/she looks so earnest!

Joyce Indiana - Poor Charlie. He probably doesn't feel very sexy anymore...and he is probably seriously wondering if his quality of life is actually better...but if the ostomy bag issues resolve, maybe he will perk up. In the meantime, he sounds a bit "man-fragile". Praying for bag success.

Debbie TX - so glad it wasn't an MI and that hubby is OK.

Cheri I am thinking you could make a lot of money teaching people how to downsize, declutter, and prepare for moving, especially how to roll with the punches.

Working today, going back to sleep for a couple of hours.

<3

Karen in Virginia

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    morning ladies~
    well we had a lovely time at our friends last night,lots of good conversation ,all was well until the mosquito's came out, that is when Tom and I said our goodbyes.. it was after 9 anyway and I have to work this morning..
    it is cool this morning and we slept with the windows open which was lovely...
    I spoke with social worker at Portland Care and Rehab and head nurse will be back on monday and she will speak to her then and get back in contact with me.. I really think this will be a better place for him..
    I am going to enjoy the next week because after next Saterday I will be extremely busy.... I will be getting Faith dressed and taking her to Sean and Jeans wedding,bringing her home and staying over, then going to work the next morning, they will be home sometime that day, and then they are leaving the 19th for a week in an RV up the coast of Maine and I will be staying with Faith and Buddy the dog.. my daughter will be coming over a couple of times a day to get him outside and feed him..so its all in the family lol
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    joyce anyway to get the grandkids to swing by?? This is a long process for him and your gut knows what is best for him. But Make sure you take care of yourself in the midst of helping him so so so much. He will adjust but it is going to take some time. Hugs <3 NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Kim in No Cal - SO pleased for you!

Joyce, thank you, I'm incredibly happy not to be illegal myself, and as a semi-public figure in this small town, it felt even weirder to be skirting the edges of the city codes.

Michele in NC - My husband and weeds are a pretty volatile matchup, up to and including flamethrowers, so I'm not sure you would want his advice!

Off to the races, busy Saturday while the DH is working, including getting the laundry done at the laundromat, one of the sacrifices we made moving into town. *sigh* there are worse things. Did laundry by hand as a child, from scrubbing on a washboard to hanging it out on the line.

Love y'all...
    Lisa in West Texas
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Skipped a whole page of reading...I will go back and read this evening. Have to go do touch up painting this AM.

Kim ~ So excited for you. Sounds like you will be really busy but it also sounds like something you will love and be good at! :)

Lisa ~ Glad you got your RV set up and running.

Friday, drove down I-75 South of Atlanta to see my mom and then back again to Marietta. Spent 3-1/2 hours for this little trip. So glad I went back through Atlanta at 4 PM cause they had a very large crowd of protesters in the evening right on the I-75 downtown stretch. The good thing was that the news reported it was a relatively peaceful protest. For the first time in a couple of months we were able to get my mom out for lunch. Getting that wheel chair in and out of the car is difficult. She is having a very difficult time standing up to get in the car.

Carol
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Good morning ladies! Time for me to get my exercise done. I like to do it right away in the morning.

Joyce- you are a wonderful wife! It is a great idea for Charlie to learn to take care of himself good for you to give him some responsibility for his own care.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Good Morning ladies, As you all know, I live in Baton Rouge, the epicenter right now of ALL that is going on in this country. The protest were at first peaceful, but I could just tell yesterday, that tensions were rising, & it wouldn't be long before things turned bad. And sure enough, protesters decided to move the protest from the site of the murder to the police station, police took the offense, and geared up in riot gear (rightfully so after what happened in Dallas), and its been VERY TENSE every since. It's been sooooo exhausting mentally, I just HAD to step back from all media to gather myself.
    Have gotten off course a bit...no walking, actually very little eating. Neither can be good for me. I've found in the past that eating too little is just as bad as eating too much. So, my goal for the remainder of the month is to get back on course....
    -do my morning walks
    -eat all of my calories with healthy eating (-the exercise calories)
    -add some weights to my daily regime

Please keep everyone involved in the madness this week in your thoughts, and prayers (if applicable)

~Melanie~ Baton Rouge
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Good Morning all! Happy Saturday! My heart just aches for all of the families involved in all of the recent shootings. My heart aches for myself and all other americans as we try to understand and wrap our heads around the violence. I have turned my tv off. I am not burying my head in the sand, I just can't stand the complete saturation on the news and the bickering over who is right/wrong that goes on.
    Thank you every one for the bike advice. I think I will visit my local bike shop and have them fit me on a bike (and buy elsewhere for less).
    As far as blood donation goes, I always get turned away due to low iron in my blood. I try every year, but even with supplements, it still isn't right for them. :(
    If you need a good "escape" book; you should read Toddlers Are A**holes by Bunmi Laditan, author of the Honest Toddler blog. I know most of us are past the toddler stage with our children, or if you have a career with toddlers, like me, you are going on 25 years of "growing" toddlers. The title is rough, the language is colorful, but it rings true to what parents go through with small children. I was truly pee-my-pants laughing through the whole book. Very short read, but highly entertaining.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,523 Member
    morning peeps -

noexcuses - have fun on the 5k, pace yourself, you'll make it!
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Larrisa, I bet you get a lot of whistles when you wear your red dress! You need to wear red all the time. You look fantastic.

HA no whistles. Lots of smiles though. It's a very cheery little dress. :smiley:
    Mary, Minn i was so glad when Charlie's surgeon said he could resume driving. I could tell when he was feeling better. He started 'critiquing' my driving. That's a nice way of saying he was cussing me out for almost every turn and parking I did. He is an aggressive driver. I don't mind waiting for a car that is coming to pass then turn out. I know I could probably make it but why should I when I can just pull out leisurely, I'm not holding anyone back. We don't have a big schedule. I always make sure i leave early anyway. I got that from my parents. So now he drives and I hold onto my oops handle all the time. I know when he says hang on that he is pulling out when he shouldn't.

I did get my stuff at Walmart today. I just haven't fixed his pants yet.

Well the bag I put on yesterday leaked today. I'm not sure what I did wrong except that I tried to straighten the adhesive because it wasn't even. The bag has a barrier and then an adhesive. It's the barrier that keeps the poop away from the skin. The adhesive is just an extra added adhesive to make sure it's on. The one I used today is the one I was hoping would be his forever bag. These bags come in either one piece or two piece. The tow piece has a barrier you put on the skin first and then you put the actual bag on. Most of them have kind of like a tupperware seal on them. This particular brand has an adhesive permanent seal to it. The barrier piece is kind of oval and you put the bag on it. But the shape of the oval puts it over his belly button. So I put it vertical instead of it's normal horizontal position it is meant to go. There is still a little that goes over the belly button and you have to actually cut that piece out. I don't have great confidence that it will work. But this bag has a vent in it so it doesn't fill up with gas and you are going around with this bubble under your clothing. The gas just automatically releases itself. Charlie's skin just itches all over. He wanted me to use the adhesive remover pad on his skin today. I gave the pad to him and said go to it. He needs to be doing something for himself regarding this. Today he was just sitting and pondering and said how awful it would be for some one in their 30's to have one. It has really affected his confidence in himself. At the grocery store today I leaned back against him and he wanted to know what I was doing. I said I was just leaning back on him. We were waiting in line and why not lean on my husband? He didn't put his arms around my waist or anything so I took my arms and put them behind me and wrapped them around his back. He just looks so unhappy so much. I think he needs to see his grand children. They always give him a boost.

Oh you are being so loving. I hope Charlie regains some confidence, soon, and returns some of that love. :heartbreak: I agree it's good f him to be taking care of himself as much as possible. It will bolster his self esteem.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Kim: Congratulations again! The garden sounds gorgeous. Will you share pictures as it grows and changes over the seasons? :flowerforyou:

klanders & Barbie: Yesterday I met dear friends for breakfast in Portland near the Lloyd Center on the east side of the Willamette River. I deliberately ignored my auto navigation device and was on the freeway less than 500 yards going there. I chose to use city streets to get where I was going. I-5 in Portland is hideous these days. On the way home I was never on the freeways at all. Much better! :smiley:

Grits: I agree with your sentiments about gun control, and I'm a strong supporter of the second amendment, although I don't see any good reason for the general public to be able to buy assault weapons. Those belong with the military and police in my opinion. :flowerforyou:

Sue in WA: I've been picking my own blueberries and having them with breakfast for the past couple of weeks. It is glorious! There are more blueberries this year than I've ever seen before. I only have three plants, and they're just over knee high. Friends have some older bushes that are a different variety & taller than head high. I never really had blueberries as a kid and have only discovered how great they are in the last few years. :bigsmile:

DJ: You're absolutely right. It is terrible when you have a great hairdresser that leaves town. My barber was on a mission to help his daughter, so I can only admire him for it. I sure do miss him, though. :ohwell:

I'm looking forward to my riding lesson today. Last week there was no riding because the horse had a hot foot. I hope there are no horse health problems today. Evidently there will be some work with cutting cattle later in the day. My teacher and a 4H-er will be riding. I hope to be able to watch.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Good afternoon.
    I am having trouble raising my spirits this morning. I was awake for a good part of the night, despite my best efforts to count my blessings, meditate, breathe, focus and visualise. I am just down in the dumps. :'(
    This time of year often sees me this way. It will pass.

I am just sad.

Love Heather
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Heather - big ((( hugs))). We all get there somtimes. I hope it lifts quickly. <3

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Heather - there is a lot going on in the world that is depressing. That is why I love coming on here. There is so much love and support from all the ladies. Hang in there. (((Hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Heather - Dull days that seem to run endlessly are my bane also. On the advice of my doctor I upped my vitamin D intake and it has made a large difference. When I feel the 'dulls' coming on (mostly in the winter, but long stretches of cloudy days do it too) I check my Vitamin D intake and adjust as needed. When the dulls hit I up to 50,000 units and drop back to 25,000 units (or less) when I have sunny days and I have been outside. You do have it right - we <3 Heather.

A shout out to Exermom - Thank you for the note regarding water intake. I was 'doing it wrong.' My 'cups' are either 14oz or 20oz cups and I logged the number of cups I was drinking without realizing MFP was using 8 oz cups as the unit of measure. Thanks for the helping hand, it is greatly appreciated. :)

Charleen in Colorado (Someone sent desert hot/dry winds this way---enough---you can take them back now)
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    My DD took me on an adventure last evening. She asked if I wanted to take a walk with her in the nearby park. This is a very unusual event, but not one to pass up company and a walk I said yes, let's go!

Seems she had downloaded a free app called Pokemom Go and she wanted to go to the park and walk around collecting Pokemom creatures. I don't 'game' and I don't know Pokemom at all.

Seems this new game requires you to walk to random locations in order to interact with the creatures and other real human players. I got to 'see' the Pokemom creatures in our park through her phone and I must say it was crazy funny!

What was even funnier was the young father out in the same park with his young daughter walking around to the same spots we had been and looking at his phone all the while, not typing, just looking. I suspect he had the same app and was doing the same thing we were. I am certain we will see him again as he looked to be a local neighbor.

So when DD gets home from work today, I bet I get an invite for another long walk around the park. She said she had never seen so many Pokemom creatures in our park before, that I must be a Pokemom creature magnet. :D

Charleen in Colorado (Sometimes life tickles my funny bone)