What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    happygalah wrote: »
    How cold you will feel in the winter. Experiencing the seasons in a different way due to fat loss. I don't get nearly as hot in the summer as I used to and freeze in the winter :smile:

I hear so many talk about feeling colder but I really don't feel colder at all. I wonder why?

I felt colder at first, but as time went on, I stopped feeling cold all the time. Maybe you just happened to have quickly adapted to any temperature perception shift?
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    So what do you do if you're a very small woman shopping in the states? It's not really a problem I'll ever face (I'm 6'1'') but if the sizes keep getting smaller, a woman who used to wear a size 2 would now wear what... a size -4?

Several stores have started labeling zero and double zero - absurd!

If you shop on line, some vendors offer Fit Predictor. You can enter specific sizes in other brands that fit you properly (and I think you can enter numbers for tops/dresses and bottoms separately, which is useful) and it will tell you not only what size they recommend for the item you're looking at but also how good a fit it will be. The couple of times I tried it it worked.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    Maybe take up a new hobby...sewing! Then start your own business making clothes for us short people :wink:
    Well, buying sewing patterns will deliver a whole new shock on the sizing front! My 16 year old cousin just started sewing, and has taken up fashion courses at her local college. The instructor measured them all to ensure that they were picking out the right patterns and sizes for their bodies, and most ended the day in tears at their 'real' size number. My cousin, a perfectly normal looking 10-12 (UK size) ended up being measured as a size 14 in dress pattern size. The reason - dress patterns' sizes have not changed for 30 years! She went on a diet, and is now an 'old style' size 10 (but probably fitting into size 6-8 in UK high street clothing. She was already a healthy BMI, and her new weight still is within normal BMI range, but it's remarkable how the clothing industry has changed the perception of 'normal' clothing sizes over time.

I think wedding dresses are like that. my sister was a smaller size but 14 for her wedding dress. I have an old 10 formal dress, it's so much smaller than an off the rack 10 now. US sizes.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    Maybe take up a new hobby...sewing! Then start your own business making clothes for us short people :wink:
    Well, buying sewing patterns will deliver a whole new shock on the sizing front! My 16 year old cousin just started sewing, and has taken up fashion courses at her local college. The instructor measured them all to ensure that they were picking out the right patterns and sizes for their bodies, and most ended the day in tears at their 'real' size number. My cousin, a perfectly normal looking 10-12 (UK size) ended up being measured as a size 14 in dress pattern size. The reason - dress patterns' sizes have not changed for 30 years! She went on a diet, and is now an 'old style' size 10 (but probably fitting into size 6-8 in UK high street clothing. She was already a healthy BMI, and her new weight still is within normal BMI range, but it's remarkable how the clothing industry has changed the perception of 'normal' clothing sizes over time.

Yes I have been sewing for years. Lesson one forget about the sizes in shops. Totally do not align with sewing patterns
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Oh yes I know about the sewing thing- like I said I'm probably a 2 or a 4 in the store but more like a 12 in sewing patterns. We have a sewing class at the school where I work and the girls who take it are often very upset when they are measured and told what pattern size to get and the teacher has to get out an old skirt she wore in high school to show them that sizes have changed and sewing patterns have not- by looking at the skirt it looks like a size 3 or maybe a 5, but it is a size 9 (has a tag). It's a 35 year old skirt. I sewed a lot of costumes for a musical years ago and there were girls that looked so tiny to me but they were a size 10 by the sewing pattern.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    neldabg wrote: »
    happygalah wrote: »
    How cold you will feel in the winter. Experiencing the seasons in a different way due to fat loss. I don't get nearly as hot in the summer as I used to and freeze in the winter :smile:

I hear so many talk about feeling colder but I really don't feel colder at all. I wonder why?

I felt colder at first, but as time went on, I stopped feeling cold all the time. Maybe you just happened to have quickly adapted to any temperature perception shift?

For ages I was going 'cold all the time? What are these people talking about?', even after losing 50kgs. This current Aussie winter though, blech. Leggings under my pants, thermal tops under my work shirts, hiking socks for being in the office. I bet I look like I've gained weight because of the extra clothing I'm wearing.

So then I must be cold all the time since I have Canadian winters haha.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!