WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• trulydivyn
    trulydivyn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!! Have a fantastic Thursday - it's my "Friday" and I'm excited for my birthday weekend - especially since I was clear enough to my family and friends that I'm not accepting food gifts, but they can have whatever they want!! So, my daughter surprised me with a Spa day gift for Sunday (my birthday is Monday the 25th), and my son has a golf date with his Mom on Saturday. I'll certainly get my steps in walking 18holes early in the morning! Yes, it's going to be very hot here in Vegas, it always is, but you get used to it and a sunrise tee time is always the best way to start the day in my opinion since I can't be near the ocean this year!!

Dorrie aka TrulyDivyn from Vegas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Happy birthday Katla

Love you guys. I agree on some ones sentiment. I like it that Re is here. I love her sense of humor and how personal she is. I love how so many of you are joining in this challenge and that Mary is back and getting people on the kettlebell again. Meg is back. Now we need Terri and Sylvia.

Joyce, Indiana where it is better temperature today

I agree. I miss Gloria, too, so add her to the list.

Katla
  • trulydivyn
    Options
    Hello,
    Greetings from Las Vegas - I'm 56, a working mom/grammie with about 70 lbs yet to lose. Please see my post about frustrating plateaus. Looking for a long-term lifestyle change... I've accepted there's no quick fixes and I'm trying to be positive and hopeful. I'd love to offer my support to whoever needs it and hope you will do the same!

Good Morning!! Vegas here as well...

Dorrie aka TrulyDivyn from Vegas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, morning peeps
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Barbie ~ Did we miss your birthday?

:) My birthday was in March and I shared about the birthday party put on by my line dance class.

:) Katla is the one who had a birthday yesterday (or maybe the day before)
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Barbie, sometimes I don’t even like having to go on my own appointed rounds, so I know I wouldn’t want to have to chauffer DH everywhere that he goes. Especially since he is so good about going places that I don’t particularly care to go like grocery shopping, car servicing, dog to groomer and vet, etc. He is so good to me. Hope Jake will be able to drive soon. (later) Isn’t it funny how family or friends will ask about a schedule for visiting but then do what is convenient for them? Sometimes I wonder why people even ask if they are going to do what they want anyway.

Katla, I do hope the heat doesn’t keep you from seeing the sights. I’ve never been there either and wanted to go a few years ago but DH pointed out that I couldn’t walk far or for long so it would be a waste of time. Now I can do much better so may have to put it back on my list. Hope you have a ball.

Joyce, so glad the surgery is over. Unless you are actually entertaining Charlie when you are at the hospital I don’t see any reason for you to sit there all day every day. Don’t feel guilty, girl! I love the story about you observing the heart surgery. Thanks for sharing that.

VickiNE, sorry about your mom. Sending healing thoughts and prayers for her and a (((Hug))) for you.

Allie, your DGD is an absolute “Doll”. I’d be proud too.

MicheleNC, how sweet of Jess to get you the “incredible edibles”, but an even sweeter card.
    Carey, waving-smiley-emoticon.gif Good to see you. You have been missed.

Heather, I’ve put on about 5 pounds and not really sure why. I’m working out at the gym 2 to 3 days a week but don’t think it’s muscle weight! I do notice I get hungry more when I work out.

Janetr, at least you noticed that KJ said it was Tuesday on Wednesday. I’m still a day behind on my reading the posts so I didn’t even notice. You are just one sharp lady!

Cheri, I’m getting so excited for you and your move. I hope all the stars are in line for everything to go perfectly. How nice for your son to get to transfer. When will he be moving?

Mary, I see Shep like the water as much as my Maggie does. They make it hard to try to water a garden when holding the hose but what fun to watch.

Katla, I missed your birthday because I got behind on my reading. I hope it was a wonderful day!!!!

Meg, glad your visit with DD was a good one. How nice to get the email from a past student. Isn’t it wonderful to know someone actually acknowledges you for your contributions.

KJ, how nice to get some sound advice on your swimming. Hope it helps.

Balencedlif3, welcome. We always have room for more. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific. This is a great place for support and information so come often.

Trulydivyn and Crowderd welcome to both of you as well. Come often and join right in. See the post above for the same info.

Allie, those angel wings are growing. If you aren’t’ careful you won’t be able to get through the doorway soon. You just give, give, give and are so good to everyone. What an inspiration you are, my friend. ((((Hugs))))

Sue, a big Congrats on the remission. I hope it hangs around for years and years.
    Carey, that is sad about your great grandfather’s house. sad-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

IrishTerri, get out of those shadows and come into the light. How’s life treating you?

KJ, when I was growing up and the first few years after I got married, we kept bacon grease that we used to season all the veggies. They made little coffee pot looking things with a strainer at the top, just for such a purpose.

CarolGA, do talk to your doctor before changing any medication, but sometimes I don’t think that they consider there might be a better choice unless we bring it up. Good luck.

Janetr, I can’t even imagine living in an RV as a permanent home. How do you even do that? Do you just pick a place and get a PO box as your permanent address? I have friends that did that but when gas got so expensive they ended up settling down in one spot in Florida. I know you will decide on what’s best for your family. Just make sure you have room for your weights.

MamaSnooz, welcome. You are right about no quick fix or certainly one that will last. Please sign your posts with the name you want to be called and a location. Come often and chat away.

Dorrie, Happy Birthday on Monday just in case I get behind again. It’s been known to happen.

Pip, mornin right back at ya. I knew you would get those miles even though you decided to take it easy. You are unbelievable, woman!!!

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    I am so excited. I got really far behind and have caught up. Of course it took all morning and I do have other things to do but you are all important to me. I have had one or two things to do every day this week. In between those is lots of time on the computer for my two volunteer jobs. After my board meeting tonight I think I have nothing scheduled until next Tuesday. Wooopeeeeee. I also have the Convention taped from the last two nights that I want to skim through. Congrats to all with successes and best wishes for those with struggles. Our weather is not predicted to get out of the high 80’s today. It’s still humid so doesn’t feel great but we’ve been in the high 90’s for a while so this is a nice change. Stay cool ladies.happy-moments-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day!
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Janetr okc~ That is what we want to do in about 2 yrs. When last son goes into the Navy, we will look into buying a RV. We had a Winnebago, and it slept 8 so something smaller than that. We do not wish any slideouts though. Have heard so many stories from people saying that is the first thing to break down. I still want a R, with bed in front and bed in back, and that we could pull the Spark with. Our dream is to just pull into a site, put the break on, set the self leveling thingies, and drive the little car around for grocery runs and sight-seeing. Between the clothing optional places and the places on military bases, I think we are covered. I want to paint a gingerbread looking lady with sans clothes on one side and clothes on the other side. I will hang it over the door so I remember not to go out naked if we are on a military base. I will only happen once, but what a once it will be! "Um Chief Gossett, could you tell your wife that nudity isn't allowed on base".

I am the privileged one to be among you all fine ladies! Today I volunteer at the senior luncheon, so that should be fun. I like all the people I volunteer with, and the guy that does the dishes is a hoot. Always coming out as we are setting up, REMINDING us to separate the right-handed coffee mugs from the left-handed ones. At that point I pretend to tighten his bow tie! hahaha!

This morning I made oat farls. Like a scone but you take steel-cut oats and mix with buttermilk the night before, and leave out on the counter. Then the next morning you add, baking soda, salt, and flour. You fashion into a big round, then with a sharp knife you cut to make farls. It's a hearty thing, great with a mug of tea! When we did historical re-enactment camping, my husband loved to yell, "Bring me an oat farl woman!" He would say it in his thickest accent he could muster!
    Becca
    Oregon

• fanncy0626
    Options
    DJ- it is so much fun watching him play in the water! Like you say though it is hard to get the plants watered.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi all. :)
    On my phone so this is quick. Having a great time. The new house is fabulous though in a state :D We went to the beach this afternoon and soon I am popping out to get fish and chips and mushy peas to have with the champagne I bought as a housewarming present. :) I will only have a few fries, I promise. We are eating all meals outside. :D<3
    Love Heather xxxxx
  • trulydivyn
    Options
    Oh my, thank you for the pre-birthday wishes DJ...I sincerely appreciate them!

Looks like my party is getting started earlier than expected, and one of my thoughtful co-workers brought me cookies of all things since he won't be here Monday...sigh...it's the thought that counts, right? I don't share my food struggles with co-workers, primarily because there's 7 manly men in my office, and they're oblivious to noticing things like changing my eating habits. I did however express to the co-worker how much I loved the gift but I'm cutting back on sweets after acknowledging his wife's famous baking skills. That allowed me to segue into asking how he stays in shape with all her good home cookin' and he said, "well Dorrie, it's hard sometimes to push the plate away, but I just get up and go for a swim every night before bed. Been doing it for years" - great advice!

We've worked together for 11yrs and I know he competes in triathlons with the swimming portion being his favorite. Now I understand more why! I was inspired by his opening up, engaged more about triathlon events and we had a great conversation about his motivation to stay healthy and fit. He shared he wasn't always fit, he shared his scare of heart condition and blood pressure from one of our employer physicals prompted him to make changes to his diet and exercise routine. That prompted me to share that I'm pretty focused on changing my food intake and increasing my activity - surprisingly he said, "well today you get a pass, have a cookie, and we'll share the rest with everyone else. Let's go for a walk at lunch and make that a regular routine if you want. I'll be your activity buddy at work!"

I'm overly excited about this, and looking forward to going for a walk. <3
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    trulydyvyn- Happy Birthday! Have a great day celebrating!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • trulydivyn
    Options
    Thanks Mary! <3 It's not until Monday tho...but thanks anyways!!

Dorrie...aka TrulyDivyn - from Vegas! <3
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Well it was 80 degrees this morning when I came to work at 5:45. Going to be over 100. I am working 6-6 so will be inside for the most part. Did I mention I hate this heat and so looking forward to Fall.

I did talk to my mom last evening and she is doing better and talking about going home tomorrow. I just hope they are not rushing it. So not sure what we will do on Sunday.

Cheri--Great news about DH and being able to move closer to you.

Becca--What a great way to live your life. I am working on saying Hi and smiling more. Looking for the Blessings in everyday.

Janetr--DH and I have talked about when we retire to sell the house and buying a RV and trike and just travel. Sounds exciting, but I am not sure I could give up my home and be away from my grandbabies.

Wishing everyone a great day and please remember to take care of yourself. I had DH bring the exercise bike upstairs and now to use it. One day at a time. Love you ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Becca in Oregon -
    Annr wrote: »
    "Separate the wheat from the chaff" is my motto. There are so many bad things in this world, do we not notice the flowers blooming, or a baby's smile? Notice the good, its there, its always been there. I still smile at strangers, still say hello, still do all the things as I have always done. That is my personality. I still hug my friends, my neighbor, the old guy that works at the gas station, the old gunny that does his laundry the same time we do. I do it because I can, and because they deserve it. Life gives you moments to give of yourself, and you need to take them. Appreciate the opportunities to put yourself out there. Do not allow the bad define you, or limit you. ((((hugs)))))

AMEN!! You are talking my language and philosophy of life. I like having friends who look for the good in this world. You are loved and appreciated.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »

Mousemom – Welcome.

Thank you!