married chit-chatters?

Options

Replies

• amcalmond768
    amcalmond768 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I was looking up the internet for baby names at wife's request and there's an article that says women are actually giving khaleesi as a name. I mean how bizarre is that. I feel sorry for those girls.

My husband and I had such a hard time agreeing on the names of our girls... I feel like since I was doing most of the work I should get the final say lmao but we were able to come to an agreement both times!
  • shortygirl1987
    shortygirl1987 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I was looking up the internet for baby names at wife's request and there's an article that says women are actually giving khaleesi as a name. I mean how bizarre is that. I feel sorry for those girls.

My husband and I had such a hard time agreeing on the names of our girls... I feel like since I was doing most of the work I should get the final say lmao but we were able to come to an agreement both times!

Just curious, can you share what you named them? I love hearing of other's name choices for their children.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ido802 wrote: »
    Hello all... I just found this thread.. I hope I'm not too late!

It's never too late in married chit-chatters thread! :wink:
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options

It took forever for my ex-husband & I to agree on a name for my son. Fast forward... Hubby left before my son was 1 year old & neither my son or I like the name! My son actually went to court to request change (he was going to use his middle name as new first name - also my father's name- and then change last name to my maiden name) but in our state they require both parent's signature, even though I have full custody.
    Moral of the story...don't compromise too much! Take time to find a name that you both love!
  • amcalmond768
    amcalmond768 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Just curious, can you share what you named them? I love hearing of other's name choices for their children.
    Alexis and Mattison..I had wanted something more original lmao
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    And writing of names, when I married my first husband, I immediately became a strong Minnesotan. I requested that he help me drop my southern/Midwestern whangy voice, and we worked hard on it -- I soon sounded like most Minnesotans -- the accent I still admire strongly, but I've pretty-well lost it, having moved from there in '81 (was it?). But I digress.

So when our daughter was on the way, he loved the name Jennifer. I didn't. I'd known a problematic girl in high school with that name, and I feared thinking of her every time I called upon our precious daughter. But he loved it, so I reset my mind, and "Jennifer" was chosen. I said, then, that I wanted to name her after a high school girl I strongly admired. That's the way she was named, then.

Then I learned I was pregnant with our son while riding a fair ride, and something was just a little different -- he went blub, blub, blub, blub every time that ride hit a certain point. We wanted a strong Viking warrior name -- important in Minnesota, don'tcha know. We named him Erik. and we gave him my first husband's middle name, which was also his father's middle name. I wanted to give him two middle names, my husband's first and middle names, but he didn't want that. He said that this caused problems in his family when his older brother was named after his father, so he didn't want Erik to have the same problems.

Then, when our children were ages 5 and 2, my husband was killed in an airplane accident. Soon, I wanted desperately for our son to have his name. The problems that made my husband not want that were gone, with his being gone. So I had our son's name changed, retaining the name, Erik, with my first husband's name as our son's two middle names.

A lot of thought often goes into naming a child. Special people are strongly recalled. Hopes and dreams are evident.

And our names strongly shape us.

For myself, I was given a hideous first name at birth -- a name I hated from my first memories. When I started 4th grade in a new school, I announced that I would no longer answer to my first name; everyone was to call me by my middle name, and this was the name I used in school. As an adult, before I returned to college, I decided to drop my first name legally, and Raina became my first name. Years later, I also legally dropped my old middle name. I love my names now. And since I named myself, Raina does not carry the commonly accepted meaning; it means "the soft rains that fall upon the redwood forest." :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    :heart: Raina, thank you for sharing all of that! :heart:
  • thenananator
    thenananator Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hey folks! Celebrated 31 years last night with my love, on our official anniversary date. But for fun we did a Mud Run this last weekend and that was the best. Secret FOR US has been humor, personal space, mutual respect of our individual selves, intimacy as a PRIORITY and keep it fun and we have a rule: MONEY is not something to fight about. EVER.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    projectsix wrote: »
    Question!

If all you married folk ever separate/divorce from your spouses do you see yourself getting together w/ someone else or flying solo indefinitely?

Can't imagine ever breaking up with my husband. Been with him for 18 years. But, if I ended up single I would meet someone else. I am not an alone kind of person. I am used to bonding and being part of a partnership. Just my personality type. I like companionship, affection, etc. But, I wouldn't become part of a partnership unless they are as wonderful as my husband. Though, I would date until I met the right person. Glad I don't have to date. But, I would if I was single. I would date men and women.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Question!

If all you married folk ever separate/divorce from your spouses do you see yourself getting together w/ someone else or flying solo indefinitely?

If I were to speak now I would say never married again, but at 47 I have learned never to say never. I would definitely be single for an extended time....whatever that might end up looking like.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Question!

I would remain single. My husband was my high school sweetheart but my family moved senior year, separating us. We both married & divorced and both had 1 child - boy for me, girl for him. The year of our 20th reunion we reconnected. We married just over 1 year later. I do not think that I would have ever married again otherwise; I had been single for more than 13 years at that point. I love my husband, but I was very comfortable being single and would not wish to marry again.
  • RainaProske
    Options
    Oh, thank you, Binary. :)
  • RainaProske
    Options
    @thenananator
    Well, it's no wonder, then, why you've stayed together 31 years!
  • RainaProske
    Options
    Question!

When my first husband died, I tried some dating but soon got very turned off. I thought I would stay single for life, but 9 years after he was gone, an old boyfriend from my teen years was widowed. I'll admit it: I reluctantly married him a year later, but it ended up being one of the best decisions of my life. Regardless, should he ever be gone? No. I don't think I would remarry. There are a lot of good men out there, but I found the two best. I would not take that chance again.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah. I don't know. It's difficult to say. If dating is awful and I don't meet someone wonderful like my husband. Then yeah, I would stay single. Definitely.
  • oluseyiola
    oluseyiola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Question!

Single for sure, marriage is exhausting, hahaa. It's a lot more fun being selfish in some respects whereas marriage is very much an "us" rather than a "me."
  • Lonestar5715
    Options

I agree, thanks for sharing Raina!!
  • Lonestar5715
    Options

Alexis and Mattison..I had wanted something more original lmao

I think those are both quite original. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.