WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    cityjaneLondon - THANKS SO MUCH for your donation!!!! awesome saussseeeeee!!!!!! muahhhh!!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just ordered another 12 Quest bars from Amazon. I like the Cinnamon Roll ones.
    They are not perfect, but I always keep one in my purse to save me from a hypo when food is not appearing at its usual time or when I'm travelling and other choices would be worse. They are very satisfying, high protein, low sugar, for 170 calories. I make sure the pack is in the bedroom drawer so I can't steal one in the night if I'm sleepless. ;)>:) They are my least worst choice in difficult situations. :D

Just thought that might be helpful to some newbies. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK

PS Pip - Happy to help! DH has a very good friend who developed MS at 28. She is doing well, all considered.

PPS Becca I stopped going to normal cinemas a long time ago when I had to put ear plugs in my ears to be at all comfortable. Plus I can't stand the noise and smell of all the eating going on around me. What is wrong with people? Are they deaf? Are they constantly starving? Weird. Now I happily watch all my films at home and chew on a carrot. :laugh:
  • pipcd34
    Options
    annr - take care of yourself... {{{{{{hugs}}}}}
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    @klanders30 -- my daughter is 23 she is on the Autism scale! She will always need some assistance! Part of me get envious of empty nesters but same time There are group homes etc she can live at She isn't ready and I am not either! So it is a mixed bag! I am trying to stay positive and age gracefully at whatever place we are at! We need each other!

I enjoy reading how others are working through this time! Like @barbiecat

@Becca. In a couple of weeks heading to the Oregon coast for a little vacation!

Taking it one day at a time!

Elizabeth
    Idaho

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Kind of a quiet day here. DD is at a Farkle party. Went to church and have been reading and doing a little housework. Also did my kettlebell swings.

Melanie - Happy, happy birthday!!!

Michele - DD and I learned to play Mexican Train while my cousins were here. Fun game!

Miriam- So glad you were quick thinking and your DD is doing okay. I had to laugh at your picture of the kitties because my DD and I planted catnip in pots near our gazebo because it is supposed to repel mosquitoes. Have not had a bunch of kitties or mosquitoes show up so far.

Katla - I am with you on the lunging. I am always afraid I will trip myself with the line. The funny thing is if I try to lunge my mare with just the line she will simply stand and look at me. I have to hold the whip, not even wave it and then she will do what I ask but not if I don't hold the whip. I really prefer free lunging if I have a round pen. Are you watching Olympic horse events? I love the freestyle dressage done to music.

Welcome to all those who are new. Healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • Purl62
    Purl62 Posts: 37 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Pipcd34, I am in Bellevue. I mostly ride on the Sammamish and Burke Gilman trails (which are paved) but next week we are venturing up to ride the Centennial Trail in Snohomish. Cycling for me is more recent thing. I've had my bike for 15 years, but sadly it was neglected for 5 years- until about a year ago. Wanting to change that!!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    yup.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Joyce – glad you got out and got some nurturing!

Michele – deep fried ice cream – they freeze the ice cream especially cold, cover it with corn flakes, drop it in and quickly pull it out, so the flakes are crispy – the outside slightly soft and the center frozen hard.

Miriam – how scary!!! So glad you knew what to do and just did it. You are the star mom! And congrats on the fitting shirt!

Re – no the chickens catch the mice or voles in their beaks, then throw them around and other chicks get involved and it looks like kids playing hot potato as they throw the rodent around… the rodents don’t make it.

Some one said chickens with eat the rodents… so I have not seen any evidence to this yet, but it has not been too long… I’m happy to let them.

Today was a sewing day, not working on embroidery but making outdoor cushions for a friend of the family, it is the worst project I have taken on in a long time..they are coming out really nice, but very time consuming, and fussy… there is pipping around the top and bottom of the cushions and getting it straight is a challenge… I have one or two more days of work on this before they are done. But am going to quit for tonight and will make dinner, run over and get some webbing I need from the fabric store and make chocolate covered strawberries, I’m bringing them to my hiking club and to camp for the staff tomorrow to celebrate my birthday… a chocolate covered berry is a much better choice than so many! And my boss has celiac so this works for all.

Kettle/dumbbell PT swing
    5x10x2

August Goals:
    2 fun things a week, visiting with college prof, walking tour of tea gardens
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Cheri, Glad you made it to Texas safely. I hope all your belongings do, too. How hot is it in College Station?

Purl, Welcome! I'm glad you have a name to use other than Karen--there are so many of us! It's funny, it must have been a very popular name about 50-60 or so years ago. I don't know any Karens under 50. Like you, my bike has been sitting. Last year I had it cleaned, etc. Unlike you, I still haven't gotten on it. I have two excuses ;) . First, I live at the bottom of a hill and would have to ride up the hill first thing. Seems a little intimidating after 10 or more years of not riding it. Second, I'm actually a little afraid I might fall. I had my hip replaced 3 months ago, and I'm still recovering. I'd hate to fall before everything is well healed and the muscles are strong.

Welcome to all others, too! This discussion helps me stay motivated. The women are kind, funny, interesting, wise, active, creative, hopeful, grateful, and survivors. But not perfect, very human and sometimes tired, stressed, worried, or grumpy. I've only been on for a couple of months, but it makes MFP much easier.

I got to the pool today to swim, and it was beautiful. Yesterday I went too late, and by the time I got there a thunderstorm was just about to dump it's load. And dump it did! So I went to the store to get a few things and got soaked between the car and the store. I could, of course, have waited out the worst of it in the car, but where's the fun in that?

I got up this morning a little sore from yesterday's kettle bell swings (went up to 20 lbs for three sets), especially in my lats and glutes. But while I felt my lats when I was swimming, the actual swimming is getting a bit easier. I no longer feel as if I'm thrashing around and never getting anywhere! Maybe by the end of August I'll actually enjoy the rhythm as I used to.

KarenE
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    16,000 steps
    219 minutes of dog walking
    95 minutes riding the exercise bike while watching the Olympics on TV

<3 Barbie
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) One of the great secrets of adulthood that I learned from Gretchen Rubin is that what's fun for other people may not be fun for me and vice versa. That is so obvious as I read this thread..some are happy indoors, others outdoors, some love being with family and/or friends, others enjoy being alone....running, walking (with dogs or with friends or alone), biking, swimming, going to the gym, exercising at home....doing the same exercise, doing something different every day, cooking and eating interesting food or eating the same stuff every day. The trick is to find what you like and continue.

<3 Barbie from the always beautiful NW Washington

Barbie, so so true. It's what makes the world go ' round. Thanks for the lesson in diversity and the reminder to all of us to embrace it with understanding and consideration.

You're a very wise woman. I'm thankful you are willing to share with us. <3

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    I am excited for all the ladies that are doing the Kettlebell! Great job on the exercises everyone! I see awesome commitment to eating healthy and exercise!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Janetr - that is awesome! You would be a good example for others! That is a great compliment!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    /