Real women have curves.

Options

Replies

• bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This is a really old thread, but as someone who has lived life as a normal weight person, a very obese person, and a normal weight person again, I just wanted to throw some thoughts in the mix.

1. I do feel as though those who are somewhat overweight can still be very active and fit and perfectly healthy. It is when you start getting into the 40+ BMI category that I feel like your healthy really is effected by your weight. It really is unlikely that someone with a BMI of 40+ is in good health, could run without getting out of breath, or walks up the stairs with ease. Someone who weighs 150lbs at 5'4 or 200lbs at 6'0 is probably healthy as long as they are active and workout/eat well even though they are technically still overweight.

2. Thin people can be unhealthy. Just because someone has a naturally thin frame and fast metabolism, does not mean someone works out or is healthy whatsoever. I know thin people who eat burger king daily and never get off of their couches. I know overweight people who try their best to eat clean and workout often.

3. Women who say they are happy being morbidly obese and wouldn't want to be a lower weight are full of garbage and those women are lying to themselves and others because they have accepted they will never lose weight, and are lazy and have given up. Yes, some women prefer to be curvier, and I can see women saying they would want to stay in an "overweight BMI range" because they like that look. But to claim you want to look like Tess Holiday and be 350lbs forever is a total lie. No one wants that. They are saying it because claiming they want to be overweight is much easier than dieting.

4. Regardless of how much you weigh, you should love yourself. You should love yourself enough to know that being THAT BIG is preventing you from living your life to the fullest.

5. Being "curvy" means having big boobs and a big butt and a small waist. It was never meant to describe a morbidly obese woman. In my opinion, men find this type of women the most attractive - someone curvy - thin everywhere except the good parts.

The point is, you should love yourself regardless of your body. No one should shame another person or themselves for being rail thin or for being huge. But you should always work to be healthy. Those are the type of people I like.

• kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Is the OP asking other girls this question or guys? Most guys I know like some curves. Like Fergie said, " My humps, my lovely lady lumps." So classy.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    Do you see guys constantly hating on each other for their appearance? Or is this just a catty woman thing?
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Any woman is a real woman

My body, is my responsibility, I love it, take care of it and workout to keep it in the best shape I can, but that does not give me the pass to call out anyone who looks different than I do, be it thinner, bigger, curvier, more muscular, you get the point. do you, leave others alone!

• CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    How about.... Real women come in all shapes and sizes. If THEY are happy and comfortable with THEIR body, that's THEIR business and no one else's. I for one am not happy or comfortable in my own skin. I am not naturally overweight. My mindset is not that of an overweight person. Therefore, I'm going to do something about it. I know plenty of women who are bigger and they're rocking it and look great and more power to them. I personally can't pull it off and with my family's medical history, prefer not to.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    here's the gorilla in the room... curves... desirable? absolutely... each and every person has an ideal... and I believe100% that "Morbidly" obese people are hiding behind the FA for what they feel are very valid reasons... Hell I thought I was comfortable doing to myself what it was I was doing... adding a few ounces a week... I earned it... I deserved it... thankfully I was handed a serious dose of reality and am now working.... WORKING... to return myself to a fitter healthier state... SO...curves are cool, whether you see them from the front, back or side... there are varying degrees of curvature... some are more exaggerated than others... but for a woman to distinguish herself as "Real" because of her current physique, is just as wrong as someone looking at her and telling her she isn't real because she IS just plain ol' fat. I have been a people watcher my entire life... and in my decades I know this about people... we all come in different sizes and shapes...some folks would look "odd" if they achieved "normal". fact is... evolution has produced a very wide assortment of physical traits because some people were born to dig ditches, some people were born to tell people where to dig ditches, some people were born to reach the top shelf and others were born to see what is a the back of the bottom shelf...

who cares about shape? small minded people who feel inadequate about their place in this world... and that small mind comes from a malaise borne from a lack of ability to understand that the only thing that matters is being able to do 100 push up, 200 sit ups, 200 jumping jacks, 100 burpees, and 50 squat jumps in under 15 minutes.

Just kidding... what matters is being healthy... however one chooses to define it...work it or live it...

Emu out.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What's this FA movement? Please not Fat *kitten*..please don't tell me that's what it stands for. Dear gawd no.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    shanae727 wrote: »
    What's this FA movement? Please not Fat *kitten*..please don't tell me that's what it stands for. Dear gawd no.

Google.. Fat Acceptance
  • jenmar222
    jenmar222 Posts: 9,271 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    r44aubp314wp.jpg

I prefer what this man looked like before the gym. Just a smooth, well nourished, unripply, male body not built for showing off is more appealing to me.

Mee too! I thought I was the only one. I always prefer the "before" body builder pictures. Or the one immediately before the super built "after" pic. Some slight definition with a bit of extra meat on him is sexy to me.
  • jenmar222
    jenmar222 Posts: 9,271 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do you see guys constantly hating on each other for their appearance? Or is this just a catty woman thing?

It's a catty woman thing :unamused:
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    "real women" . . . anything is just dumb.

fat acceptance and health at any size as general statements are not problematic, i see very few people using this to justify a guilt free existence of chugging mountain dew and eating fast food on the couch 24/7. it happens sometimes of course, but not at the level that people who concern-troll overweight people seem to believe.

most overweight and obese people i know are not happy at their weights, but deserve to accept themselves anyway and to practice self love. it's really difficult to move through the world in a body you've been taught to be ashamed of, a lot of people on this site know this from experience and have tried with varying levels of success to overcome their weight and health issues.

when you look at someone overweight, or obese, or even morbidly obese, you don't know if they are lazy or not. you don't know anything about them except their physical appearance. maybe you see an obese person eating 3 slices of pizza, and maybe they saved their deficit calories for it, maybe they already lost 50 pounds, maybe they're having a *kitten* day and wanted a *kitten* pizza. if it grosses you out to see people existing on their own journey that's on you, not them. even if they don't make any effort at self improvement that would validate their existence to you.

this curves are reserved for tits and *kitten* and not 'rolls' is just as dumb as the "real women blah blah blah" if you have no rolls sitting or bending then i congratulate you on all of your hard work and your effort, but don't forget that a lot of the rest of us are just trying to get by, to be healthy and strong and imperfect still.

seriously, what the hell happened in this thread?!?
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    It does piss me off to see a lazy skinny person not working out. I think everybody should use fitness as a way to improve their health.

Why are you pissed off by someone else not working out?

I'll tell you why I'm pissed at obese people who don't try to be healthy: money. Pure and simple. 65% of all health care costs in adults (and now 40% in those under 18!) are due to obesity. So, yes, I resent people who don't try and be healthy, because like it or not, our health care system ends up paying the tab for for their behavior. I have lived in the deep south, where the idea of a Sunday dinner is to stuff your damn face with all the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, sweet tea, fried okra, and apple pie you can eat...wait 3 hours and do it again. So yes, pardon my resentment of the lazy and obese. They are taking money out of my pocket. I feel the same way about thin smokers. People who aren't fit, but make up another 25% of the healthcare costs due to their mind numbingly, howl-at-the-moon stupidity.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Exactly @Timshel_ Total catfishes have curves too!! :lol:

In for curvy catfishies

Cute Curvy Catfishies!! :love:

And don't forget...

tumblr_nyi3wtAAeP1t0hr3yo1_500.jpg
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think a woman with curves is way more attractive physically but I don't think you have to have curves to be a woman.
  • meggoleggo89
    meggoleggo89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This phrase bothers me as well as it is used to define 'real' women as being only curvy, when we all know there are many shapes out there. I'd say that this is just as bad as fat shaming. My family has always struggled with weight problems and I can understand why people came up with this phrase, but I still don't agree with it. I've seen my sister and family be treated like crap for their weights and the crappy thing is, it started young for my sister due to medical problems that no child should have to go through. And she still is struggling with her weight and she's tried so many different programs and diets and nothing has helped her, so she started to just accept her body (the no body shame campaign) which I don't think is wrong. She has not given up on trying to be healthy but she also doesn't need to hate her body either.

I don't think it's fair to just say that because someone is accepting themselves/size means that they are fat and lazy. Those words don't need to be thrown around and are VERY judgmental. It also does not mean they're an "FA". This is just perpetuating the stigma for overweight people. You may be angry over it but it is NOT your body to judge. It is not your body to comment on either. People have so many different defense mechanisms and may even come off as "not caring" about their size or health.

From someone battling anorexia (the opposite spectrum as my sister), I am TERRIFIED of the word fat, of being or getting fat, to the point I just hardly eat. I know how the body works, I'm finishing my master's in dietetics (hoping to help others with eating disorders ONCE I'm in a good place myself), but the mental aspect overrides logic many times. Seeing how my family and others are treated due to being overweight/obese just makes me fear gaining weight even more. People need to treat others with respect and stop judging on body size. No one has the right to comment on your body, it's yours.

In conclusion, I don't agree with the phrase. I got a little wordier than planned only because of the way you stated things in your post. You may not have meant to come off as seeming angry at overweight/obese people accepting their current body, but it seemed like it so it hit a nerve. It's okay to accept yourself where you are while working on yourself. You shouldn't hate yourself/body because of your current size or because others disagree with it. And you can't force someone to change because you disagree with it. You can be concerned, but anger only perpetuates this stigma. This also holds true for those bashing thin/skinny people as well.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    jenmar22 wrote: »
    ald783 wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    It does piss me off to see a lazy skinny person not working out. I think everybody should use fitness as a way to improve their health.

Why are you pissed off by someone else not working out?

I'll tell you why I'm pissed at obese people who don't try to be healthy: money. Pure and simple. 65% of all health care costs in adults (and now 40% in those under 18!) are due to obesity. So, yes, I resent people who don't try and be healthy, because like it or not, our health care system ends up paying the tab for for their behavior. I have lived in the deep south, where the idea of a Sunday dinner is to stuff your damn face with all the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, sweet tea, fried okra, and apple pie you can eat...wait 3 hours and do it again. So yes, pardon my resentment of the lazy and obese. They are taking money out of my pocket. I feel the same way about thin smokers. People who aren't fit, but make up another 25% of the healthcare costs due to their mind numbingly, howl-at-the-moon stupidity.

What about people who are thin but eat Burger King every day and clog their arteries? People who drive stupidly and drive up everyone's insurance costs? People on welfare? People who are addicted to heroine? People who rack up tons of debt and can't pay it off? People who pollute? People who don't save for retirement and use up more SS than they put in? People who don't contribute to the tax base?

Life is too short to hate and resent people.

I, personally, can't stand people who hate/judge/whine needlessly, bc it gives them stress, which leads to heart attacks and strokes....which drive up medical costs.

A lot of people do stupid *kitten* that costs us all. A lot of people don't work to improve themselves (whether it be their body, their skill set, their character, etc.) Obese people get singled out bc they are hyper visible and bc many people have their inherent prejudices toward them (which is fine, but don't try to cloak it in some political savior bs).

Amen, Sister - testify!!