WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 hang in there! Glad that Charlie is going with you. Strength and healing <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Joyce - <3<3<3<3:flowerforyou:

Heather UK

PS - My hair is done. I am a natural blonde again. :D Booked a nice restaurant, just around the corner from the hotel. Right on the sea front. I was worried that some places wouldn't be open on a Sunday night.

Looking forward to yoga tomorrow and seeing my friends.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota and Kate UK – When I got it, I just had to share it with everybody. It said to send it to 5 women I loved … so, what does that tell ‘ya?

Re in TX – Good Job! Small goals are easier to reach and then you can set your next one.

frankiesgirl21 – AAAWWW!! Thanks!

jmkmomm – Thankfully NOT ‘personal experience’ …; but, I hate to go swimming suit shopping. I have one of those 2-piece with the top that is long enough to tuck into the bottoms; it looks like a one piece, and thankfully has an underwire bra – but, that does seem a big tight; but, last year this time, it would not have fit. I just wore an old one that was pretty stretched out. I had one that had ruffles across the top that I sent to my sister. She has not yet had her reconstructive surgery; maybe next summer. Both sisters had issues when it came to having the reconstruction.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,584 Member
    Options
    V
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary from MN: "Katla- my daughter owns 3 horses and has to pay board, vet bills, farrier, tack, worming...she says it's very expensive and time consuming. She also leased one of her horses out to help pay for her expenses. She said that the person leasing only really covered board and she still had all of the other expenses. Leasing gives you temporary ownership at a much lesser cost and commitment. The owner usually takes care of all the other issues you just have fun and ride!"

This corresponds to my opinion perfectly.

Gloria: I am so happy to see your post! I hope we'll see more of you from now on. I am sorry for the loss of your mom. I'm also sorry about the shingles & I hope they never return. :flowerforyou:

Charleen in CO: Thanks for your great advice. I am of the opinion that a lease would be my best plan of action even though my teacher thinks I should get my own horse. If I was alone, I might buy. DH encourages me to buy, but HE is my priority. His health is compromised by diabetes, arthritis, and MS. There are many times that he is housebound. That may be part of the reason he's encouraging me to buy a horse. He feels like I need a chance to get out & have fun even when he is under the weather. I can guarantee I will not be quick to buy anything that needs my care and attention. :noway:

Leonore: Regarding swimsuits: What choice did I have? I wandered around, made my sensible choice and entered the chamber of horrors known as the fitting room. The first thing I noticed was the extraordinary tensile strength of the stretch material. The Lycra used in bathing costumes was developed, I believe, by NASA to launch small rockets from a slingshot, which gives the added bonus that if you manage to actually lever yourself into one, you would be protected from shark attacks. Any shark taking a swipe at your passing midriff would immediately suffer whiplash. :laugh:

This is hilaroius. I have one of these suits. Mine is a two part. Each part was the price of a complete swimsuit. I purchased a bottom and then a separate top and both parts could qualify as a corset or girdle. ChaChing!

Joyce: I pray that your doctors have a solution for your health that will improve your quality of life. :heart:

Thank for all your great advice regarding the horse issue. I'm in favor of leasing. Yoga today was great. Since then I misplaced my car key, and did a bunch of errands using DH's key. I wonder where mine is. It will be expensive if I have to buy a replacement. Wish me luck enough to find it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    <3 sending good thoughts to you Joyce and to Charlie too....

Levi is home resting after surgery this morning to have 3 fox tails out of his ears.... grrr! There goes my savings.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Glo, hugs for the loss of your mom. Glad the shingles seem to be over.

Joyce, glad you seem to be in a better place today.

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Well here we go another week. This month if flying by. DGC start school this week. My 3 day weekend flew by. We went to the wedding on Saturday and it was nice. Then yesterday we went on an 300 mile benfit motorcycle ride for a homeless home out of a church in Columbus. I got some sun and didn't realize until this morning how much. So I look like a lobster on my face and neck. Arms are red also. I wanted to make sure my ears and top of head was covered, spaced the rest off. It was my first long ride this summer,as didn't ride while my are was healing as didn't want to chance falling getting on or off and breaking something else. I did enjoy the ride.

Joyce--So glad you talked to the doctor and getting everything taken care of. Sending prayers. What an asortment of things Charlie has found.

MrsGLT--sending prayers for DGD and all of you. Not easy being the fat kid! I was that all thru school.

Only got to page 31 about half way. So please take care dear friends.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies: Another hot day but got out this morning and got some yardwork done. Found out our barn cat has worms so made a vet appointment for her for tomorrow morning. The YM is closed for maintenance this week so no water exercise but it will be nice to have a sparkling clean pool next week. I will do exercise at home instead and I still have PT on Thursday.DH is trying a new recipe in the crockpot so we will see how that is.

Carol - Happy, happy birthday!

Katla - I am glad you had a nice ride yesterday. I vote in favor of a lease. We leased two horses over the years from a family when the daughter went to college but didn't want to sell her horse. Worked out really well for us.

Rori and Lisa - Glad you had a good time!

Allie - Enjoy that concert!

Kim - Hope Levi feels better soon. I had to laugh at dog walking not being exercise because it was taking care of the dog.

Re - Stats for 8/15:
    SW = 213
    CW = 211
    total lost this week = -2
    total lost all weeks = -2
    GW = 190
    total pounds from goal = 21

Joyce - Wishing you a good result.

Gloria - Sorry about your mom and recover soonest from the shingles. They are not fun.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – Cha-ching is right. You have to save your money to buy one now-a-days. We have a swim-suit shop in Albany that is only open from a week before Memorial Day to the week after Labor Day. Every shape, size, whatever. Some so small you’d have to ‘wax’ yourself for sure; some you could not reach up and cover your nipples. I go to the front room where the ‘long suits’ are. This past year I bought on and it finally fits me this year. Still a little tight across the boobs; but, that is just something and somewhere I can seem to lose anything. Guess, you just don’t have any control over some areas.

Kim – 3 fox tails out of his ears? What happened to him?

Vicki – When I was in HS I had a ‘sun lamp’ … which was like a light that hooks to something so you can see what you are doing (like under a hood of a car); and, it had a special sun light in it. I fell asleep with my face turned to one side and with my arms folded under me. I got burned so beach and it looked like the ‘smile’/’frown’ face of ‘comedy and tragedy’. It hurt like a sum-o-beach; and, was pretty embarrassing, too. That went into the trash (by my Daddy). It took about 3 weeks for it to clear up. Just in time for our vacation. As a teenager, I would get 2x as dark as I am now (after almost daily in the pool … with a cap and sunglasses on; and, sometimes even a T-shirt on. I’m tan, just not as drastically so (as a teenager). Great exercise, in pool and with music playing it goes by quickly. I would not get into a sunbed for anything. I stay with most of my body ‘in the water’ … and then cap and sunglasses on, so I don’t burn or tan too much.

Lenora
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Gloria sorry to hear about your mother. Shingles can be horrible. I have numbness where mine were consider myself lucky. Many fight pain for years. Glad you are feeling better.

Katla my sister owned horses at one time. She now leases because of the cost factor. She's says it is the best of both worlds.

Joyce you are in my thought.

Been hot here need to do some yard work but my allergies are really bad right now can't shake the headache and tiredness and am just exhausted when I get home. Maybe tomorrow night. Doctor is calling in different meds for me to give a try. Hopefully they help. Getting tired of this.

Have a great night ladies.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    :)
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Spicy Sisters!

The AC is FIXED! Thank goodness… with the aid of some impromptu Swamp Coolers – buckets of ice with fans blowing into them – we were able to remain relatively cool on Friday night – and Saturday I got up and went outside to check on the infamous AC. I was worried it might be a jungle back there, and I needed to be sure that the AC guy could actually GET to the darn thing.

Fortunately, the jungle was fairly manageable, and I made sure the way was clear.

Called a local guy – a very local guy, apparently – as he arrived in about thirty minutes, had all the parts he needed, and had the air back on within an hour of my calling him.

Best yet – the cost was only $325 – hardly anything in the grand scheme of AC repair. This guy’s phone number is going into my “Saved” file.

I was really worried we might be in for the “New Unit” speech.. but, thankfully, it was some tiny little part – he also replaced a capacitor “just to be sure” – and the machine started chugging right along.

It took a few hours, but the house cooled down to a breezy 80 degrees and all is right with my world.

The scale actually gave me a lower number, yesterday and the day before, than it did, today… I am really pumped about it. But, for the 24 week challenge, I am giving whatever number I get on the official weigh in day, regardless of how much puff is showing there… so, 240.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anne – your hair is fabulous!

Marcelyn – “hold out for March?!?” I would have been shooting daggers, too!

Charleen – Be safe on that ladder! Glad you are nearly done.

DJ – Thanks! I am pretty excited myself. It certainly hasn’t been FAST… I started the whole thing in 2006 – but, whenever I have actually made a conscious effort, I have succeeded, so that makes me happy.

Carrie – I think it’s a matter of opinion. Mine is that NO, diet is not more important than exercise. I have always found that if I just reduce my calorie intake – without any exercise – my body just adjusts to the amount I am feeding it. It’s a marvelous machine – it will function on whatever you give it – which is swell, if you are having a famine or something. Not so swell if you are trying to lose body fat. So for me, Exercise is by FAR more important that diet. Can you exercise without changing your diet? Well yes – actually. My DH is doing that very thing. His eating is the same, his exercise level as increased, and he has lost nearly as much weight as I have. The Cardio vs. Strength Training is a whole other debate… I think a balance is probably advisable, on that one.

Joyce – ((Hugs!)) Hope you are doing better, today.

Heather – Bea is adorable, as always.

Pip – I was going to try and throw out a name for the airstream, but DANG, Karen’s are so good! I like Aluminata. Kizzy is great, too.... or just Kiz. You could put some pretty cool lettering on with a short name.

Rori & Lisa – Great Picture, Ladies! So glad you could meet and have a great time.

Lenora – I have BEEN that escapee from Disney’s Fantasia… lol. Hysterical.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, my Dears, I really have to get my work done, so I will check in, again, tomorrow. My apologies for not responding to all of you – it was all I could do to get caught up on my reading. Welcome to all the New folks!

Hugs for everybody!

Re in TX
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 9.43min, 15.9amph, 125mhr, 2.5mi = 72c
    SPIN- 50min, 80r, 72w, 10-15g, 142mhr, 11.7mi = 312c
    ride gym 2 dome bk 2 gym bk 2 dome- 25min, 10amph, 152mhr, 3mi = 162c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.28min, 9.6amph, 149mhr, 2.6mi = 182c
    total cal 728
  • pipcd34
    Options
    thanks for the suggestion...RE- THANKS it just so happens, our lot at the ocean, we call it kizzyside estates. we don't want to reuse the names so that's out.. kirby likes twinkie, i asked him again... we'll see
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Dj, thanks for the beach pix!
    Gloria, sorry about the loss of your mother.
    Not much to report here. Got back on the bike today for the first time in four weeks. Tough going but I lasted almost an hour. I am wondering if any of you ladies do tai chi or water walking? The gym offers deep water walking and I have no idea how it works. Trying to find another exercise besides bicycling that really burns calories---not running though!
    Betty
  • Purl62
    Purl62 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow, almost 200 messages since I last checked in. Will try to catch up, but don't know that I'll be successful. I have had a busy few days, but amazing too. Quick background- my father passed away in Feb after a very brief illness- only 2 weeks after he was diagnosed with cancer. We moved him in with us almost as soon as he was diagnosed and started hospice. I took a 6 month leave of absence from serving on the board of an organization and even though he passed before I even missed a meeting I decided to continue the leave to take care of his things. Anyway, the last month or so has been incredibly difficult. Almost every time I was alone for more than 10 minutes I'd lose it. I couldn't even talk to my husband, sister or friends about it. Last week I had lunch with a former board member who asked how it was being back on the board, and I burst into tears. I was embarrassed but it was helpful to talk with her. I confided to her that I still haven't been thru the boxes we packed up from his apartment. Then on Friday I was at a performance of show for the organization I'm on the board of, and was sitting next to another parent - someone I know casually but not very well. We were chatting before the curtain went up, and it came up that I'd just had lunch with a mutual friend and before I realized it I was spilling my whole story to her and crying again. Sheesh, can't take me anywhere! I realized how inappropriate it was to be burdening her with my story and apologized. She quickly pulled up a photo on her phone, and showed me. It was a photo of her hand holding her dad's hand, just before he passed. I took the same pic with my father. On Saturday I had the first day of true peace- no sudden tears when I was alone. On Sunday morning I saw my acquaintance again at a 5K walk that another friend organized as a memorial for her father (yes, we are of that age...). We walked together and it occurred to me that I'd had that day of peace on Saturday, and I told her that although I was embarrassed to have spilled everything to her Friday night, that I felt as though she was an angel sent by my dad. When my mom passed almost 2 years ago, there we SO many coincidences the weekend of her memorial. Had the same feeling with this. Then Sunday evening there was a retirement celebration at theater. it was just a great weekend. Today I took my dear friend to her chemo appointment and while she was with her doctor beforehand I got in an hour of walking in the hilly neighborhood behind the hospital and then when I got home I needed to return a package. Instead of driving the 1.5 miles to the UPS store, I walked. On track for today too foodwise. Tomorrow I have a personal training session for the first time in a month. I will be sore on Wednesday! I've been doing okay with cardio, but haven't been doing very well at all with strength training. Facing the music tomorrow!

OK, well, this was a ramble...thanks to anyone who hung in there and read it. I'm tempted to erase it all, especially since I havent' read the new posts, but will send before I change my mind!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Purl Karen

Glad you left the ramble up - it was a lovely ramble.

I blubbered all the way through cleaning out my Mom's house 15 years ago...the only reason I could even go in her closet was because she had me start on it before she died...smart woman. A few days before she died I told her she just couldn't (die). And she said with a little twinkle in her tired eyes, "I know, honey, and that worries me a little." Makes me smile now.

Your dad must have been a lovely man. I am sorry for your loss.

Karen in Virginia