Friends with benefits

Options

Replies

• rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @rps67 's inbox is about to get flooded with roosters right now....

No such luck! Maybe I'm too old and hideous.
  • rps67
    Options
    rps67 wrote: »
    I had a fwb once that was the best. He may have just been a booty call since we didn't have a lot in common but I really thought a lot of him. I didn't want to be in a relationship so that was perfect for me.

I'd kill for a fwb now.
    Are you into knitting?!?

Actually, knitting and crocheting are my winter hobbies!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Shells918 wrote: »
    There's nothing at all wrong with consenting adults having a FWB. Enjoy it til it gets complicated. There is absolutely no reason you should ever question your self worth over it. The only time it's wrong is if you are doing something you don't want.

I agree with this.
    As long as you KNOW that it's fwb only and keep your expectations at that level. He isn't and will not become your boyfriend. He may be doing this with other women. Only call/text him when you need some, get in, do it and get out. I hope I don't need to but I will mention PROTECTION not just for birth control but for diseases. And when you meet the right person, end it immediately.
    And, in reference to @Cutaway_Collar, it isn't necessary to disclose this in a dating situation. Your business only.
    Women have needs too.

I want to comment on these two things. Second one first.

If you're ok with that, great. If not, the two of you need to talk about it. I'm taking it as a given that you trust this person; you're willing to take off your clothes in front of them and share great intimacy. A lot of FWB relationships are monogamous; clearly not all. I knew a lady who wasn't into casual sex (defined as: with strangers) and wanted a single person to sleep with. She was in sales and worked far too much overtime to have a deep and meaningful (outside the bedroom) relationship. She thought having a single lover was "the responsible thing to do."

I've become somebody's boyfriend after being FWB. It lasted about a year. We were attracted to each other and genuinely friends, we enjoyed our time together, after a while it grew. Then she got a compelling job offer in another state.

Now I'm in a committed relationship and posting here just to pass the time and chat with people. But my advice is that the OP should entertain the idea if it appeals to her, but she should be cautious about it and clear about what she wants and expects.
  • islander_2013
    islander_2013 Posts: 13,378 Member
    Options
    looking for friends
  • suvoth
    suvoth Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Since being single recently, I had a friend proposition this to me. For me personally, no, I couldn't do it. Even with someone like my friend who I was very comfortable with. Emotions are being risked and that includes my own.
  • Verchild
    Verchild Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    @rps67 's inbox is about to get flooded with roosters right now....

No such luck! Maybe I'm too old and hideous.

@rps67 , I'm sure your inboxx is going to blow up any moment. To help sooth the transition period, here ya go.

roosters_for_kids_320.jpg

• rps67
    Options
    Verchild wrote: »

@rps67 , I'm sure your inboxx is going to blow up any moment. To help sooth the transition period, here ya go.

roosters_for_kids_320.jpg

Aw, thank you! He's beautiful! Roosters are so awesome.

• Verchild
    Verchild Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Aw, thank you! He's beautiful! Roosters are so awesome.

Np, I got your back. :)
  • JukeboxHeroine
    JukeboxHeroine Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I could never be a FWB dude. Hell - women fall in love with me while im in the line at the bank forchristsake~

Facepalm*
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options

Sleeping with multiple people at the same time is a little effed up. It only takes a toll on self-esteem and causes a void that takes time to repair.

WTF? What qualifies you to say this, Dr. Phil?
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    And to address the initial question from the OP, my advice is to determine how valuable the friendship is to you. If it is a friendship you would be crushed to see disappear, you might not want to. Fooling around with a friend is a risk - no matter what, the dynamics of the relationship will change - for better or worse can be found only after. Further, while you may start with the same goal, one of you may want to change the end goal (want a deeper relationship). This can be awkward.

If you think the friendship is too valuable to risk then I would not do it. But, if it is a casual friendship you could see yourself living without, and you both have the same goals, it might be a way to scratch that sexual itch with someone you trust. And who knows? It could be great.

And, personally, though I have never had a long-term FWB arrangement, I have gotten intimate with two men who were straight up friends at first. The first? Our sexual chemistry was awkward and it did end up damaging a great friendship. The second? It was fantastic and made the friendship stronger.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I only skimmed the replies while rolling my eyes often. All I will say in terms of that is you will have people that are against casual sex, and some that are for it. So asking this isn't going to really yield you any answers aside from picking out what confirms your pre-existing feelings on the matter.

But as anecdotal evidence from my experience, I did it after breaking up with my high school sweetheart of 6 years, and we were also engaged. I had a guy that I knew from a ceramics class that we decided to play video games and have happy fun time. The only problem was that there were no ground rules set, but it didn't bother either of us really. Once I became interested in someone, I called it off. But the fact that he probably was with other women didn't bother me because we both knew we were in it for the fun and nothing beyond that. It must've been good, because every time I was single, he'd show right back up in attempt to restart it back up haha. It didn't work beyond the first time, but that was more because he was not great in bed.. Which wouldn't have mattered if he hadn't bragged all the time about it. But I digress..

If you both agree to it, there shouldn't be any shame. But if you feel like you will catch emtions for him or are relying on him for emotional stability, don't do it. That's a recipe for disaster.

Btw, neither of us ended up with low self-esteem or destroyed the idea of a monogamous relationship because of casual sex. I'm now married and he's in a long term relationship. As long as you're mature and communicate, it can work out.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem as long as both parties are honest the entire time. I've had them and they worked great but I attribute that to the fact, we both knew what was going on and didn't have a problem separating once the someone found something more.
  • vespiquenn
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I always thought the benefits part involved other things too - such as chanel earrings, tickets to NYC ballet etc. :#

Damn, I was finding the wrong men. :lol:

Then again.. That borders into sugar baby territory.

• musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I always thought the benefits part involved other things too - such as chanel earrings, tickets to NYC ballet etc. :#

There are rules for sugar babies.

They must involve rent and paying off credit card bills. Gifts fall into the benefits category.

Where do I find a sugar baby then. I will bring all my bills.
  • vespiquenn
    Options

They must involve rent and paying off credit card bills. Gifts fall into the benefits category.

I need a Sugar Daddy. Screw the NYC ballet, I need my bills paid this month. I was doing this all wrong.

• LeGaCyGiAnT91
    LeGaCyGiAnT91 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I need a Sugar Daddy. Screw the NYC ballet, I need my bills paid this month. I was doing this all wrong.

Shut Up and take ALL of my money.
  • vespiquenn
    Options

I'm writing in the contract that I also need 4 vacations per year of my choosing..

Wait, do these things have contracts?

• LeGaCyGiAnT91
    LeGaCyGiAnT91 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I'm writing in the contract that I also need 4 vacations per year of my choosing..

Wait, do these things have contracts?

Done. We can go on 8 if you'd like. 15 if I really like you. What's stopping us?