Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My experience with a front loader washer is that they leak and the drum gets out of kilter easily. You also have to be careful when moving them. I would never have another one. Interesting isn't it that laundromats have front loaders and don't seem to have the leaking problem. inside-a-washing-machine-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA: HAPPY 47th ANNIVERSARY!!! :star::flowerforyou: :star: You're two years ahead of us. :heart:

Joyce: I'm so glad that your procedure went well and you are on the mend. :flowerforyou: You are the only person I know who has had a collagen implant anywhere, and yours is hidden. :ohwell: :devil:

Barbie: I'm so happy that Jake is healing well and that you had a good time riding the ferries to and from his appointment. Thank you for your sympathy about the boat situation. It is a loss of fun time together. Being unable to use the boat as we have for most of our married life is a big part of the reason that I've been pursuing horseback riding. I can ride on my own, and I get pleasure & satisfaction from it. I'd sail instead if it was still fun for DH. :star:

DH goes to his MS doctor tomorrow for a regular checkup, and I'll go along. I want to stop by Costco while we're nearby. We need a few things from there. I also need to mail off presents to DGS. My main present is being shipped directly from Amazon, but I have some things to send on behalf of our son and DIL and also some things that are presents for big sister from us.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Oh, how I would love that ferry trip! I really want to get DH out your way some time. He is a great nature and scenery lover. We also adore watery places. B)

Just finished my machines. For the newbies, I have three machines in a small spare room. Just a normal bedroom with a carpet and terrible decor inherited from the previous owners. I do 32+ minutes on the rowing machine, which was inexpensive. It gives me a calorie count of 280, which I think is over generous. I then move over to the elliptical, after DH has vacated that. I do 120 calories, which takes me around 20 mins. Then I move onto the recumbent bike and do about 36 mins on there to total 136 calories. Sounds a weird number, but MFP gives me 64 calories for my 20 minutes of strength training that I do in my bedroom afterwards, so it makes a nice round number. :laugh: My strength training is 12 minutes mat work, followed by 8 minutes of dumbell weights. I do this every day except Tuesday when I go to yoga.
    Recently I started kettlebell swings every other day instead of the strength training. At the moment I am doing 15 sets of 10 swings, so I hope that takes me over 600 calories, but I only enter that number on MFP, to be on the safe side.
    This regime, plus eating 1800 calories a day, has maintained my weight at 140 for two and a half years. I am 5 ft 5 ins. I am very lucky that I have my fit , 70 yr old, DH to do it with me (not the strength training) and BBC Radio 4 to listen to as I do it, which keeps me informed and entertained.

So, I hope that info is helpful for any newbies. I started off at a much lower level than that, only doing 200 calories every other day. I very gradually built up my stamina, but it took me a while to crash the 400 calorie barrier. I really like the 600 I am at now as it enables me to eat a satisfying amount of food without putting on weight. On holiday I always walk a lot and love it if I can find a pool. I am a good swimmer, but don't swim here as the pool is too far away and not attractive. They are building a new one, but the travelling still puts me off. If I won the lottery I would get my own pool! :laugh: Indoor, of course. This is England. Which is another reason why the machines are a good idea, especially in the winter. In the summer we have a fan going. :D
    I don't go to a gym, because I know I couldn't be bothered to get out of the house, and I hate the music, so most gyms are out for me.

OK, that kettlebell is calling!

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies~
    having my cup of tea...
    Yes we have a front load whirlpool duet washer..every 3-4 months I use a cleaner that is made for those washers and when the load is done I do leave the washer door open...we shall see how doing the towels seperate will work..
    Lenora~my DFIL is 89 and has been on medicare since he was 65 I think he is now on title 19 so he is a ward of the state.. he still gets pension payments which go straight to the nursing home..
    Tom is eligible for medicare next summer when he turns 65 he will work till at least 66 and I have to work until 67 to get my full retirement benefit..
    I have told you about the people across the street, 2 of the owner of the house children have used and abused there privilege of living there ,there mom moved in with her boyrfriend and they basically trashed the place.. well it came to a head ,and they are both out of the house (praise the lord) very inapropriate things went on,the children of the people living there were unruly and they all drove like a bat out of hel% around the neighborhood,there are small children and animals around here and they didn't care.. so Joe(Rita's) boyfriend is tearing out the pool that was rotting in the backyard,the son that lived downstairs didnt work and smoked so much that the whole in law apartment is caked in nicotine.. so that will be tough to get rid of.. but they will fix it up and sell it!! YIPEEE
    there is usually one in the neighborhood and karma does come around...
    worked up front and have caught up and learned alot, so we shall see how that works ,I talked to office manager quite a few months ago and told her, train me for that job and you could get an assistant in for cheaper than your paying me.. if that comes to fruition than I will be getting my butt in gear as it is a sit down job..
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Heather - one of the things that originally got me hooked on this thread was being able to come here and see that women my age (or even older :wink:) had actually managed to take weight off and keep it off. Before that I had almost managed to convince myself that it was "too late" and I wouldn't ever get back into any kind of shape.

Listen up, newbies! Yes, it IS possible. Where there's a will, there's a way. :flowerforyou:

Being stubborn helps, of course. Never underestimate the power of sheer cussedness. >:)

And now, it's time to go out jogging...

/Penny, heading back to near the North Pole tomorrow

PS: Incidentally, Heather, the sun is going down in Longyearbyen today for the first time since 18 April. Will you be watching Svalbard - Life on the Edge? I believe it starts this Monday.

Anybody who has access to BBC Earth and wants to see my home town can watch the series. Many of my friends and neighbors are feeling a bit of anxiety about it. I hope the producers haven't done a hatchet job and made us look like a bunch of weirdos... :grumble:
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Penny, I'm definitely going to check out BBC to find out if we will be able to view the series on Svalbatd. I'm excited to go see if it will be available.

Hope your jog was enjoyable. <3

Janetr okc
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

Yesterday (Tuesday) went to the Y after work like normal but it was later my new hours since we are returning to my long days! During the summer we were getting off work at 3 pm now it is between 5:30/6 depending on when the last adult gets picked up. The long drive home it was 6:30 by the time that I walked thru the doors at the Y. It was my walking the Track day at first it was hard to get going but I am glad that I did .

Food is going ok ... Looking for recipes of family favorites made healthier.

Today is that all day class for CFH ! I am hoping to learn a lot and that it will clear things up!

Enjoyed reading everyone posts ! Hope you have a good day!

Elizabeth
    Caldwell , Idaho

• jadefitnow
    jadefitnow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm a newbie and discovered your discussion group from a notice in my home page; I've been an MFP member for a while, but never stuck to the plan. I love the conversations you've had, and the coolness of you ladies! I am (decidedly) over 50 (nearing 60! I could definitely use the support and would love to join in on occasion, if that's OK?
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    NYKaren, I suspect that your encyclopedias were World Book. They had yearly Annuals. I have a huge family connection to World Book. My great uncle (mother's mother's sister's husband) was Editor in Chief. My mother was a photograph editor- she found the wonderful photos or set up photo shoots to get them. So, my brother and one of his favorite teachers are in the article about chemistry, and my brother and I are in the article about hair fashions in the 70s. I had waist length straight hair parted in the middle. Somewhere I have the slides from that photo shoot still. I worked there my summer before going to college (16) and during winter break once to write the Equal Opportunity Employers report for them (women were in jobs that had different titles and less pay- no surprise there and few people of color but they were trying to change it).

Speaking of encyclopedias. I taught myself how to read at three. By eight I had read every book in our house including the entire set of World Book encyclopedias. I was a neglected, lonely kid and the books saved me.

About ironing. I still iron occasionally. My daughters have a few items that the hems don't dry smooth or the ruffles are bunched coming out of the drier. And I iron my nice clothes for church or other special occasions. But for everyday I am a jeans and tee shirt gal.

I found a wonderful antique ironing board at a yard sale. I would love to know the story behind it- it has a prominent iron shaped burn mark. Did "mom" have to run rescue a kid? Answer the door? Bandage a cut on their child? I ponder what the story behind the burn was every time I see it!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    CJ - Where are you? Nice house!

Penny - Haven't seen the series advertised yet, but I will look out for it. <3<3<3

Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    morning peeps and welcome new peeps
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    jadefitnow Welcome! We'd love to have you join! I've only been in this group a couple of months but am already starting to feel like an old hand. Please come often! It's helpful if you provide us with a name at the end of your posts and tell us where you're from so we know who you are when you post. Barbie, who lives in beautiful NW Washington starts a new thread the first of every month, so look for that on September 1st.

Becca, So nice to hear from you. Your youngest son sounds like a lot of fun!

Karen in VA, I don't formally cross train--that sounds far too serious for what I do. If I don't mix up my exercise I get so bored-or I overdo it and hurt myself. So I have several that I do with some regularity: walking/hiking, swimming; kettlebells; elliptical; pilates. Once I'm cleared for it, I'll start using my rowing machine and perhaps start yoga again. And I sometimes use my TRX. I know exactly what you mean by feeling strong in the pool after getting other exercises in. The other day I really felt the increased strength in my shoulders and abs. But the pool I use is outside, and it closes in mid- to late-October.

This weekend DH is taking me to a resort for my birthday. I have to figure out what I want to do (besides swimming and hiking). There's a spa, and I considered a massage and then realized that I'd rather be moving! DH wants to shoot at clay objects. I think I'll find something else to do while he does that. ;)

Now I need to go do my exercises. Today is kettlebells + PT and later I'll do some cardio--maybe go to the pool.

KarenE
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    mq7u7lj79huy.jpg
    CJ - I first saw this post on my cell phone and didn't full appreciate it. Now I've got it on a full-sized screen I'm blown away by the sunflowers! Who was it who had been in a sunflower field?

/Penny, back from a 6.5 km jog near the North Pole
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    MORNING ALL!

Jade- Hi!! Come as often as you like and then come more often. These gals encouraged me to read the thread daily and I do as much as possible. It really helps!!! They are so motivating, encouraging and funny. Nearly make me pee my pants some days.....

Heather- thanks for the breakdown of your work out plan. I think that is very helpful and pasted into a word document for reference. You hit on a lot of points that for me are spot on.

Penny-Cussedness! Lol! Haven't heard that in a long time. Makes me think of some departed Aunts. (Mom and Dad had 8 sisters between them and not a brother in the lot) You can imagine growing up around that. No wonder I am who I am!

Also, wondering if I can stream that on my ipad if since I doubt that I can get that on the telly. Pasted that into a word document to follow up on. Please keep sharing the sights and sounds of your life. It feeds my wander lust!

Update- DH took the batteries out of the rower (involved a screw driver and two compartments). Anyway, it takes 4 D cells and they were sitting on my rocker, so I guess we didn't have anymore. He will probably get them today. i Had a hair appointment and didn't get home til almost 8 last night and wasn't going back out. (I miss 20 minute hair cuts.) Meantime rower looks lonely and forelorn.....
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings: 4x10x15, 8x10x20
    Kettlebell halos: 4x10 each way x 20
    Rotating abs: 2x6x10
    Shoulder press: 3x10 each arm x 10
    Squats w/band: 3x15
    Dips: 2x8
    Bridges with band: 2x10 w 5 second hold
    Clam shells with band, left side only: 3x15
    Modified side planks: 2 x 25 sec hold each side
    Regular plank: 1 x 45 second hold
  • jjfromkc813
    jjfromkc813 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody - my real name is Jessica and originally am from Kansas City (hence jjfromkc) but have lived in central Illinois most of my life.

Wow I am enjoying the posts! I have been "eyeballing" my food portions and am inspired now to go get a real scale and measure accurately. Also am inspired to move more. I increased my step goal to 6000 but some days get nowhere near that. The Apple Watch reminds me to stand up when I have been sitting too long.

Does anybody else have an Apple Watch? It is new to me and not sure how to use it to the max to help in this health journey.

Thanks for the inspiration everybody - it's never too late!

Jessica
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    CJ ~ I too love the photo of your beautiful garden out front.

Barbie ~ Would love to visit where you live. It has been a dream of mine to ride up and down the Pacific Coast. It will probably never happen, but, I can imagine the beauty you folks out there see.

Miriam ~ My DnL is a 6th grade social studies teacher and says that her school is going totally computerized in lieu of texts. I guess they are doing this because the text books become obsolete so quickly and it will probably save money in the long run.

Lenora ~ I grew up with a mother who mispronounced salmon and sure was embarrassed when others made fun of me. She also mispronounced judge and columns. I guess that that was how it was pronounced at some point to her. I specialized in Science and English in college but can't spell to save my life. I love the computer because I can constantly look up words.

Tried hard cooking eggs in the pressure cooker this AM and it does work great! I had never utilized the rack that comes with the cooker and think will get a steamer insert and explore further.

Carol