WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I didn't sleep well woke up at 11:30 to let Homer out and couldn't get back to sleep until around 1:30. then woke up at 5:15 . have the bedding in the wash and now dryer.. waiting on the munchkin to get dropped off..
    We have the Mary Chapin Carpenter concert tonight and I just emailed the management to see if I could get Tom in for a meet and greet before the show.. I think he would be thrilled .but dont know if they will contact me or not, but hey its worth a shot.. can't hurt for trying..
    Will have Taliah all day and trying to figure out what to do with her.. Know I will find something.. going to my friends nursery and get a few things.. and will make Toms dinner and lunch this morning so he can shower and eat and then we will go..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    morning peeps
  • jennhosborn
    jennhosborn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group but I'm 4 days in of tracking exercising and being motivated. I'll be 51 in December and am going trough a divorce and instead of turning to food I'm turning to me. My goal is 30 pounds gone by December 19. I will do this. Happy and motivated in the PNW
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    :'(Carey, If your dad is in that much pain, he should consider seeing his regular doctor and not rely on a diagnosis from the emergency room. His regular doctor might recommend more thorough testing (X Ray, or CAT scan or MRI) to find out more.

:'(<3Katla, I'm sorry to hear of your husband's further health problems and your decision about selling the boat...it is so hard when a chapter of our lives ends before we're ready for it.

<3 Barbie
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Back at the gym this morning... 45 minutes of movement, 20 on the elliptical, 25 walking or "running." I only know it's running because I'm not walking anymore. Reminded myself, finally, that saying "I'll do it tomorrow," burns no calories whatsoever.

Love y'all... Melanie, glad you're OK, hated to see the floods. Katla, my heart's with you.

Welcome to the new, many blessings to everyone... I'm all after-glowy, going to hit the shower and head for work.

Lisa in West Texas
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Been keeping up with reading posts. I have a quick question for any of you ladies who have experience with buying life insurance. My dh found out yesterday that his job is being outsourced to India in the near future. He will be looking for another job, but his main concern (other than temporary loss of income) is the loss of medical/life insurance. He is aware that many employers no longer offer life insurance or do so at a high price. He is also concerned that he perhaps may get turned down for life insurance because of his advanced RA. I think he is worrying for nothing, but maybe some of you out there have experience with this? Currently about $350/month is taken from his check for medical/dental/vision and life ins. for the two of us; approx how much more would be expect to pay if it's not offered with a new employer? Can you get health/life insurance when you have a pre-existing condition?
    Love and hugs <3 Loving all of the pictures Heather, Cheri, Miriam, Penny! Oh, on the BBC Earth (which I also do not get the channel, darn it!) I am going to be checking on Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube to see if some of the shows are listed. If so, the special on Svalbard may show up after it airs on BBC Earth. I will let you know what I find.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce – DH and I lived in a split-level home when our boys were young (maybe the same as a bi-level); yet it was on 3-levels. Main level had LR, DR, and kitchen; all upstairs were the 3 bedrooms and 2 baths; lower level – bonus room, bath, and utility room, than about 3 steps down was the garage. Having had grown up in a 2-story house, stairs never bothered me. Our first house was a 2-story house with 4 bedrooms and a bath. It was ‘square’; the dresser drawers were all built in, which for us as newlyweds was ideal. One of the rooms had wallpaper on the ceiling; so rather than try to pull it down, we painted the two twin (metal) beds mustard, which was in the wallpaper. The previous owners had left a little furniture in it; including a kitchen with food in it, all way past the "use by" date. You’d come in the hall downstairs (both halls went straight down the middle of the house; and LR on left (long and narrow), screened-in porch all the way across the front; DR and kitchen on it right; and a huge screened-in porch with a half wall off kitchen and waster and dryer out there (also left with house).

The appliances in the kitchen were free standing. We had bought one of those flat stove tops from Sears and when we moved to Albany the first time, Sears bought it back from us for more than we had paid for it; because they were in such ‘high demand’. The new house already had the appliances in it, so we were not going to need it. We had purchased a new fridge; which we replace about 15 years ago, with the freezer on the bottom. Love it because everything you need is at eye-level.

The split level was in the tri-level/split level. When we got sent back to Albany; housing was through the roof; and, we could not afford most houses. We ended up buying a house that some friends of my sisters were selling, because they were moving to California. I really, really loved the lay-out of that house; and, if DH had not been so opposed to having a 2-story house; I would have had an architect come draw ‘new’ plans for the same house and made a ‘few’ changes and built it out here. MBR was on the main floor; and two bedrooms and a bath upstairs; with a ‘bonus room that we finished off by hanging sheetrock. It has so many angles to it; but, it made a great room that my boys could keep their toys in; and that way the main floor always stayed straightened. It had a jalousie (sp?) window porch off the LR where I had one of the biggest lipstick plants out there. We also would put our Christmas tree out there to prevent the boys from trying to climb up it.

Next house was a bank-owned ranch that backed up to wood (boys in the neighbor would make forts back there and sometimes they were allowed to spend nights out there as well) … they had built a tree house out there. One day I came home from work and smelled smoke back there; and, could see the smoke as well. I got out of my car, still in my work clothes, and stomped through the soft soil to see what was going on, I knew the boys were not supposed to set a fire. Got back there and some of the older boys in the neighborhood who had been running our boys out of there; had a roaring fire going. I screamed at them to put it out; but, they ran off; except for one, who was the son of an attorney and I grabbed him by the shirt and kept him there until the fire department got there.

By this time, the fire was more than we could ‘put out’ on our own without a supply of water. I dragged him to the house and called the fire department. I read him the Riot Act. He begged me to not tell his parents. I told him had no intention of doing that … the firemen would do that. So I let him go; and, he ran home. I guess he was scared; so he went ahead and told his parents what they had done. Their dad came to the house and spoke to the Fire Chief about his son. There were about 11 houses on our street and around the corner that easily would have cost more than a million dollars to rebuild them, if they had had to be rebuilt because of a fire. They got it put out; but, they had to carry buckets of water because they could not reach where the fire was from the fireplug on the corner of the alley that ran behind our house.

After that, the older boys never came back there and the younger boys cleared out a space around their fort; so nothing would get damaged. They were all very tired of having sticker bushes to have to go through every time as well. They all did a good job with building that little fort all by themselves.

I hope that your health issues can be controlled by medication. I know you don’t want to depend on Tylenol; but, it is better than ‘hurting all the time’ when your bursitis keeps in. I think I have gout; because my big toe (one that I broke twice). I hope it isn’t that; but, better that than arthritis beginning. I know you will be happy when you are able to breath and be able to get back to your singing. Good that you are taking your C-pap machine to your pulmonologist to have him/her check it out. I don’t know how long you’ve had it; over 5 years, you should be able to get a ‘new’ one; which is much quieter. When I went to my ‘lung MD’ … he reset the settings and I had to take it to American Home Patient office to have them reprogram the chip. Every six months I have to take the chip out and take it to AHP and they ‘read’ it and send the results to him and also to my GP as well as Medicare and BC/BS.

Carey – Northern Alberta – If you have any type of health insurance they should pay for it; I rent to own mine – that way, if anything goes wrong with it AHP will fix or replace it. On my old one I had to take it back twice to have repairs done on it; and, I got a replacement to use; but, my MD had to write an order for it to be used and so insurance would cover the price. I used a ‘wisp’ mask; which only covers the nose. I am so claustrophobic that I cannot sleep with a regular mask over my nose and/or nose & mouth. When I had my sleep studies done, they had to scramble around to find a ‘wisp’ mask for me to be able to finish the 2nd test. When I had it done at the ‘lung MD’s office’ I was told to bring my own mask (one that I am used to). But, when I need to have it redone; I am going to ask if I can have it done at the out-patient hospital; because their beds were sleep number beds that you could regulate; and his beds were so hard you felt like you were laying on a slab of concrete.

Janetr OKC – Georgia is definitely in the “Bible Belt”; all that means is if you live in a ‘dry’ county you just need to travel to the next county that might be ‘wet’. There was one liquor store in Macon that would sell to anybody, provided you could reach the counter and put money on it. They were always ‘in trouble’ for selling to minors. You could be knee-walking, commode-hugging, drunk out of your mind … but, if you could reach up and place money on the counter; you could get all you wanted. They stayed in trouble all the time with the law; but, it was the main liquor store in town that sold it to a lot of the attorneys and MDs who had offices around there and would buy something on their way home. Everywhere else, you’d be ‘carded’. In my home town, we had ‘bootleggers’ … who would also sell beer to minors. He was also the owner of the local pool hall; and, girls were NOT allowed in there. He'd stand at the door and lean against the door frame to keep us out; he would not even allow us to call to our boyfriends to come to the door to talk to us. My 2 sons were friends with a kid down the block who would have no trouble buying beer/liquor; because he was so ‘hairy’ that he looked a lot older than he was by a few years.

GloworminWA – How do you make ‘cucumber water’?

Julie from NJ - My DH can eat anything and not fluctuate more than 5lbs either way; thankfully he eat his ‘big meal’ during the middle of the day; so he isn’t hungry when he gets home. But, he does not drink much water; the other night when I called the EMTs to come check on him, he actually admitted to not drinking much during the day. They told him that he needed to be drinking a lot of water during the day since he works outside; but, for the past 3 weeks he has had a catheter in with a urine collection bag. I knew he would not want to drink more water because of it. Now, after having it removed, he is less of a grouch.

Heather – “Jack Sprat could eat no fat; his wife could eat no lean. So between them both, the licked the platter clean.”

We have 4 granddaughter; DOGD have hazel/green eyes like mine; MGD had ‘crystal blue’ eyes; and youngest one has ‘dark brown eyes’, DGD#4 has ‘light brown’ eyes. My DH, both sons, and I all have hazel eyes; but, all different colors; and they all changed to different colors. IF my eyes turn ‘amber’ – GET OUTTA MY WAY! I take no prisoners.

Lenora
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Miriam - I think it is a 1 in 4 chance that each individual child will be blue eyed. However, that all three are blue eyed is a different calculation. My DH had a go and came up with 1 in 27. Anybody know any different? DRKATIE? ?

Heather UK
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

Joyce- sorry to hear about your bursitis. I feel your pain. Literally. I have been suffering with it for about the last year. I found recently that relaxation pilates stretching seems to help me a bit.

The nearest Costco to us is just far enough away to make it not worth the effort. We keep hoping that one day they will put one close to us.

I absolutely love old architecture. The house that I was born in was one of the oldest houses in the area. Some one undertook restoring it years ago and it is a beautiful log cabin. Now I own a small house that was built in 1875 as a one room church for an AME congregation. I have 6 8foot tall windows in my living room. Currently, the ceiling in the living room is 12 feet high. There have been a good many changes to the house over the years, not the least of which was the installation of very cheap very ugly paneling over the horse hair plaster walls. We keep working at it bit by bit but it never seems to happen fast enough. Those too elusive commodities...TIME & MONEY.... The original corner stone in still in place in the stone foundation on the front of the house. My DH was a little apprehensive when he moved in with me before we were married, having been raised in the Roman Catholic church....LOL.... Much of our travels these days (when we aren't lounging on the beach in the Caribbean) is to places with a lot of historic scenery and charm.. Next stop Charlottesville VA in October.

Tonight DH is taking me for birthday dinner. I don't know where we are going so no pre-logging or pre research today. Just have to wing it and make the best choices. I am really looking forward to it. Through his boss and his work he has access to a network of people who know the best restaurants anywhere so I don't know if tonight will be something new or something we know. Haven't even a clue what I am wearing yet. Had a nice long phone chat with DM since she is finally home and settled from her vaca in New Orleans, so I never got around to ransacking the closet and trying anything on to see what I would feel comfortable wearing....

Love hearing of all your exploits! Thanks and have a great day gals! :)
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    forgetting to sign again....TRACEY!
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Miriam, I just embarrassed myself with my DH (grrr) to make sure my answer was right. He rolled his eyes that I even had to ask (he does try to refrain from eye rolling when it's me, but he's not totally successful), but I wasn't sure.The chance that all three would have blue eyes is 1 in 64 (1/4 × 1/4 x 1/4). Heather, your DH was on the right track, but he was thinking about the three kids, not the 4 genetic options when he did his calculation. Of course, my DH pointed out the assumptions used for the calculation. 1) The genetic outcome (blue eyes) is straightforward. 2) the events are independent of one another.

DH and I are both left-handed. We each had one child in our first marriages, and our exes were right-handed. Both of those children are left-handed (when it was just the four of us we never had to worry about knocking elbows at the table!). Then we had a child together. It left-handedness was determine only by one gene, then our youngest son should be left-handed. But he's right-handed. It turns out that left-handedness occurs in about 1 in 10 people. It also turns out that 2 left-handed parents have only a 50% chance of having a left-handed child. That means that it's not a straightforward dominant/recessive gene pattern. Something else is going on.

Katla, <3 and (((hugs)))

Lenora, I remember when my son and his friends built a fort down by the stream. It lasted for years after they outgrew it. I was so happy we lived in a place where he could wander safely. We raised our other two in a more densely populated area.

Got to get to work...

KarenE
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Heather, having a blue eyed child is an Independent Event. The odds do not change for independent events. Each time the chance is the same.

Independent events are events whose odds aren't effected by previous events. Flipping a coin and getting a heads is an independent event - you're not more likely to get a heads based on whether you got a heads or a tails last time.

Every time you toss an unbiased coin, it's always a 50/50 chance. If the coin lands on heads 11 times, the odds are still 50/50 on the twelfth.

• miriamwithcats
    Options
    The PROBABILITY of the event happening is different.

Multiply the probability of each event by one another. This will give you the probability of multiple events occurring one after another. Here's what you can do:

Example 1:What is the probability of rolling two consecutive fives on a six-sided die? The probability of both independent events is 1/6.
    This gives us 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36 or .027 or 2.7%.

So the probability of having three blue eyed children is 1/4 times 1/4 times 1/4 = 1/64
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    KarenE posted while I was typing! She is correct.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »

Tomorrow DH and I have to get Hep A vaccines -- a recent necessity for anyone travelling to the Hawaiian island of Oahu. Yep, that would be us. I'm already beginning to lose sleep thinking of the millions of details to take care of before we put our condo up for sale. Arggggh. Just have to stay in the present and 'not let perfection be the enemy of the good.'
    Stay well. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    Rori I bet Cheri would be your cheerleader! She is the moving goddess! I personally break out in a cold sweat thinking of getting a house ready to sell. I am so bad at it. I think I can be ruthless about getting rid of stuff but then I waffle when it comes time. Must grow a backbone for that sort of thing.
    Karen in Virginia

Awe Karen you are my bestest cheerleader!

My best advice when approaching ANYTHING overwhelming in life is to break it down into doable steps. I set timers, for 15 minutes I will...., I set steps, first I will empty top cabinets only, I set a theme, I will collect all linens only and cull and pack. It works because the focus in on one doable event and the feeling of accomplishment is wonderful. As I said I do this with all things even in my daily tasks. I make a list and check things off. Even for the simplest tasks done everyday such as make the beds! Today I will.....and at the end of the day I can visually see all that I did or did not accomplish.

Cheri
    available for moving consult as she continues to settle in to living in TX and knowing she will do it again within a year when she buys her dream home in College Station, TX
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Miriam and Karen - While you were typing I was busy looking for help on the Internet. I found it on a gamblers help site. Yes, it's 1/64 for all three children to have blue eyes when it's a 1/4 chance for each individual. Bravo us!!!!!!! I used to tease DDIL that she must have had a blue eyed lover. :laugh: I think the serious genetics are a bit more complicated, but it's a fun enough story. :D My ex had blue eyes, my dad had blue eyes and my grandmother on my mother's side. On DDIL's side at least her dad is blue. I am brown, as are both my boys. My elder son had brown eyes and very blonde hair as a child - quite striking, while the other was dark.
    I think my DH got it wrong because a 1 in 4 chance gives you 3 to 1 odds. :D

I am just about to find out if my Barbacoa-beef is shreddable. :o

Heather UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    cheri I love your process. Manageable, achievable and positive!
    I live by that process as much as I can for many challenges, not just house organization.
    NYKAREN (who is whittling away at debt and college tuition and hoping for a dream retirement some time in the future!!! Insert happy retired emoji here!!)
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Yes, Cheri, I use a similar process for getting myself to type my memoir. I say, "I know how to get the laptop out and ready", then, "I know how to turn on the laptop, I can do that", then I say, "I know how to open the Word document ", so I do that. Then, "I know how to get to where I left off," so I do that .... then, "I only have to write one sentence, even if it's a bad sentence" and so on ........

Nice quote from Big Magic, by Elizabeth Gilbert. She quotes from Rebecca Solnit.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

So true. :D

Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: (((HUGS))) Southern Baptists are about to have a member who avoids certain treats, and if they learn why I'll bet they bend over backward to see to it that there are treats available that would be healthy for you. We're down to Tylenol for pain relief because the other NSAIDS are implicated in Alzheimers. I stopped taking Citracal because the calcium is fine, but other things in the tablet are linked to Alzheimers. Getting older is not for cowards. I fear Alzheimers and do everything I can to protect myself because my Dad's mom died with it and it was horrible. The disease stole her mind. :flowerforyou:

Carey: DH had back surgery a couple of years ago & the surgeon cleaned arthritic deposits away from nerves in his lower back. It was amazingly helpful. I don't know whether that would be a possibility for your dad. Not just any neurosurgeon can do this sort of work, either. You would have to look carefully and they'd need to do MRI's to see what the situation really is in there. Good luck. :heart:

Janet OKC: Thanks for your prayers. We both need them. The doctor has ordered some additional tests and set up an appointment with a highly skilled physical therapist. :flowerforyou:

Gloria in WA: Thanks for your sympathy & the idea about inviting others out on the water. We have quite a bit to think about right now & we'll do one thing at a time & one day at a time. :flowerforyou:

Julie from NJ: Welcome! :bigsmile:

Jennahosborn: Welcome to a great group. There are several of us who live in the PNW. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: I am thrilled you are so happy in your new hometown and want to stay when you're retired. What a wonderful blessing. :bigsmile:

Heather: I love this quotation, "So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun." I need to focus on he realistic, the possible, and the fun.

I'm working on womaning up over DH's situation & DH is showing signs of sadness. He is a courageous man, and not a whiner. The doctor has ordered PT and an MRI to see what is going on. He is evaluating what to do next and whether there is a need to change medications.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison