Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Scared at what I am reading

Options

Replies

• d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I promise my next post will be positive. No more rants.

The message I want to share is consistently feeding and nourishing our bodies in a healthy way. I swear this works.
  • d4_54
    Options
    I should add that I have seen some really good advice on here to.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I am 150 lb, 5'4", 42 year old sedentary woman. MFP told me to eat 1200 calories at this point to lose .5 lb per week. If I exercise then I eat some more. I am losing .5-1 lb a week currently. I feel my calorie goal is appropriate.
    Do you feel MFP gives out unhealthy calorie goals or promotes unhealthy weight loss?
    Is your issue with some individuals setting their goal to lose a lot of weight quickly or doing things like spending 5 hours at the gym but not eating any of their exercise calories?
    There are always people posting who want to lose big and fast. They are quickly told to lose slower and safer in every thread I've read.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    d4_54 wrote: »
    I am regretting my rant. Ok. I have been on here a few years. I used to log religiously but do not now but I do like to read the topics, recipes, etc but I have become a watcher as opposed to active commentator. Which explains my apologising for comments I now realise will obviously provoke emotion. As many of you have said, everyone's position is different.

I understand 'food/eating issues'. I am very understanding of the crappy grind they are. That is why I don't like to comment on people's threads or comments when I see it as I know there will be many people on here with eating disorders. I really don't want to tell anybody when I see bad bad advice as I understand that my comment is unlikely to have a positive effect on their behaviour. I would rather rather just say what I think is (imo) the most sensible way. But I accept there is no one way. I think you have to do what you can do for the rest of your life. That's why I am against starvation. (When I use the word starvation I am referring to post on here where I have seen people mention low cal eating and loads of exercise. I accept these types are not common.

Dianethegeek, I am sure your therapist is great but I doubt she would travel to England to chat with me

So you just want all of us to give different advice, use different language, and participate differently on these forums, but you aren't willing to do any of that yourself?

It's a good thing my therapist wouldn't fly to England to meet with you as a. That would violate my confidentiality and b. It's insulting to me that you think you know more about my food issues than I or my therapist do.

I have to agree with this. Be the change you want to see in the world. Go give advice. Who knows, you might learn a thing or two along the way.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating under my maintenance calories, then I'm on a diet.
    I'm 5"8 and 147lbs, mfp will give me 1200 calories if i set my weight loss goal too high. Most newbies will zero in on the 2lb per week goal, I did too when i first started here, but i lasted a whole 4 days before i crashed and burned :explode:
  • d4_54
    Options
    BreezeDoveal I appreciate you saying that about that point.

I just read in another debate someone saying that they had to "run 10 miles to eat 1 donut".

I was too coward to say anything. I was thinking what kind horrible existence is that? To enjoy a the occasional donut I have to run almost half a marathon. Wow
  • d4_54
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    I promise my next post will be positive. No more rants.

The message I want to share is consistently feeding and nourishing our bodies in a healthy way. I swear this works.

If everyone had this down pat there would be no need for MFP. Unfortunately, it's not that cut & dried. I, for one, don't use the word "diet" because every time in the past I have gone on a "diet" I set myself up for failure. I have now lost the 43 pounds I needed to lose "consistently feeding and nourishing" my body in a healthy way. I will continue to do so, because for the first time in 30 years I'm in a good place with my weight and my health.

Rocknut53 I truly am pleased you are in a good place. So am I. I think we understand that it's not just our bodies that are in a good place but how we feel about ourselves. So we are nourishing ourselves and that's good.

I eat so well now I can't actually decide what to enjoy today. Can you suggest something I can eat for dinner I fancy a new treat
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BreezeDoveal I appreciate you saying that about that point.

I just read in another debate someone saying that they had to "run 10 miles to eat 1 donut".

I was too coward to say anything. I was thinking what kind horrible existence is that? To enjoy a the occasional donut I have to run almost half a marathon. Wow

Which point? There are just so many gems to choose from..

Can you post the link to the donut thread. Having to run 10 miles for 1 donut does sound rather depressing and a tad over the top.

ETA: Never mind, found the donut thread
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have seen some worrisome things here in my short time as well. I think it's partly to blame on the default MFP settings, which seems to set every woman to 1200 calories regardless of starting weight, and I think it's because by default it adds in activity, and has them eat back those calories.

I guess that's one (confusing) way to do things, and it doesn't seem too terrible if they end up actually eating 1500+ calories due to activity, but because of all the confusion, it's pretty tough to know.

When someone says they're 250-300 pounds on 1200 calories, hopefully that doesn't actually mean they're on 1200 calories. And if it does, hopefully they know what they're doing and are getting enough protein and EFAs.

Obviously, everyone's free to do what they want, and I also don't buy in to calories being "too low to be healthy". I do, however, think that calories can be too low to be sustainable.