Lessons I’ve learned on MFP (Chit Chat/Fun & Games):

Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Jut like in real life you can't trust everyone and people lie and don't appreciate friendship but like real life you can find one or two really good people who you can trust and rely on

This is true...I have found some very close true friends here. But it is like real life I think where your guy friends tell you what they think you want to here as opposed to the truth. Dummies :) go with the truth!

I've never found this then again most of my real life guy friends are gay or I teach them skating. I think you just have to be careful not to fall for the ones who are obviously out for that sort of thing. I'm usually skeptical of anyone who starts with "you're so beautiful" or crap like that.

and Kim you're right about the need for attention but is that because this is filling a need for a lack thereof in real life? It makes me sad sometimes that people might feel this attention fills a void.
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    Jut like in real life you can't trust everyone and people lie and don't appreciate friendship but like real life you can find one or two really good people who you can trust and rely on

This is true...I have found some very close true friends here. But it is like real life I think where your guy friends tell you what they think you want to here as opposed to the truth. Dummies :) go with the truth!

I've never found this then again most of my real life guy friends are gay or I teach them skating. I think you just have to be careful not to fall for the ones who are obviously out for that sort of thing. I'm usually skeptical of anyone who starts with "you're so beautiful" or crap like that.

and Kim you're right about the need for attention but is that because this is filling a need for a lack thereof in real life? It makes me sad sometimes that people might feel this attention fills a void.

I do think the attention fills a void for many....and that can lead to the hurt and drama when realization that often the attention has different motives or is just surface. I now come to MFP for fitness (still), for laughs, and to check in with those I've come to care about. But it's never been the place to find my new BFF, develop my sense of worth, or find a future spouse. I think a few might have unrealistic hopes of having one or all of those things happen.
  • synchkat
    Options
    Kvm11628 wrote: »

I do think the attention fills a void for many....and that can lead to the hurt and drama when realization that often the attention has different motives or is just surface. I now come to MFP for fitness (still), for laughs, and to check in with those I've come to care about. But it's never been the place to find my new BFF, develop my sense of worth, or find a future spouse. I think a few might have unrealistic hopes of having one or all of those things happen.

I totally agree. If you are here falling in love every other week or on the hunt for a spouse you're really just setting yourself up for heartbreak. There are sites for that...an online community of people looking to get healthy isn't that place...ok ya it could happen like it an happen anywhere but odds are it won't
  • synchkat
    Options
    oh and as mentioned before I learned of some neat new music I'd have never known about
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I've learned that "kitten" is my new favorite word thanks to MFP.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    People aren't very good at approaching things in a diplomatic way to prevent unnecessary conflict. And for some reason people like to derail lgbt threads by making rude comments (though recently seems to have improved). They call that fun. But, then they don't like when people are just happy fun personality types. Fun = grumpy apparently.

But, in the early days on mfp I learned about Bret Contreras and Strong Curves and The New Rules of Lifting for Life (I like that one better than the women book).
  • candiinprogress
    candiinprogress Posts: 7,883 Member
    Options
    I have learned that even if guys start to PM you in a genuine chatty and friendly manner, it will almost always turn south...
  • synchkat
    Options
    Ive lots of awesome guys. should I send some your way
  • candiinprogress
    candiinprogress Posts: 7,883 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ive lots of awesome guys. should I send some your way

Please do
    I have learned that even if guys start to PM you in a genuine chatty and friendly manner, it will almost always turn south...

Not always. There are some good nice guys out there who are good real people and genuine.

Must just be the ones I attract then haha. I generally start convos to actually chat and get to know a person in a friendly manner.
  • synchkat
    Options
    I'm super duper chatty. I have lots of amazing friends who aren't forum people who are really amazing people.
  • synchkat
    Options
    omg do you people want good guys? Look out of the forums, I have a bunch of amazing guy friends
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I definitely have some good guy friends here. And I have also learned to be cautious on mfp.
  • synchkat
    Options
    you're a dancer that makes you like 1000% cooler than like most other mfpers here.

but ya caution is a necessity but Ive some amazing women and men friends
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited September 2016
    Options
    you're a dancer that makes you like 1000% cooler than like most other mfpers here.

but ya caution is a necessity but Ive some amazing women and men friends

Me? Aaaw, thanks! I love that you skate!!! I have good guy and gal friends too.