WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    B) Hello! Happy Friday and Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! take care of all of you!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Gloria in WA maybe podcasts?

Karen in VIrginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Still thinking of those in Matthew's way. <3

Last night's meal was sooooooooooooo lovely, in the same restaurant as before. We watched all the walkers and joggers, of every shape and size, all doing their constitutional beside the river. I think there must be some doctor in Cordoba scaring the life out of his patients and telling them to get moving! A lot, even out of shape ones, we're wearing fashionable sports gear! :D

This morning we caught the bus to Granada. Not as bad as I thought, and I'm pleased with the position and style of our hotel. Very Moorish. You can just see the Alhambra out of the window if you look sideways. :D Should be lit at night. We went for a long walk up the hill and all around the Albiacin, the old Moorish settlement, which is now all twisty, turny streets. Wonderful view from the top, of the Alhambra. Had a nice drink and wended our way back to the hotel, stopping on the way to buy water, milk and olives. Don't want to pay mini bar prices. The milk is to make cups of tea. (I brought tea bags)
    I went online, researched and found a restaurant for tonight with an outside terrace and a view of the lit up Alhambra. Booked it for 8.30. :DB)

Will try to post a couple of pics from my phone.

Lots of love, Heather, in Granada, Spain.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DJ – No problem … no more ‘yellow’. Praying that you don’t have any, or much, damage. Be safe; and leave if there is an evacuation order. Nothing is worth losing your life or limbs over. Just grab the ‘important’ things, … things that we all should have in place for emergencies; DL, ML, Wills, POA, Living Will, Durable POA – End of life choices, pictures, pets, and as much water and food to take you through the ordeal. Food being something that does not need refrigeration or a microwave to eat (or, and a can opener).

Heather – I love to ‘people watch’ … especially when I have my 2 oldest DGDs with me. Sitting at the mall, it is obvious that a LOT of people cannot possibly have a ‘rear-view’ mirror (takes two unless you are a contortionist). Just because they make it in your size does not mean you should wear it. I’ve seen a lot of ‘big women’ who dress very nicely; and, they don’t look like they have been ‘stuffed into’ their outfits.

Fanncy0626 – I agree with you about ‘tossing and turning’.

Lisa and Glo – My DOGD is applying for an intern job (30 hours) and she is going to be making more than her step-Mom. If she gets it, that will only make for ‘more’ drama. She has to get in at least one internship before graduation. She is a Science and Biology major and while she did tell her Papa where the job was, she did not mention the name of it to me. He told her that doing the internship there might lead into a full-time job later on. I don’t know if she is planning on taking a ‘full load’ while doing this … if so, she will have her hands FULL!

Glo – 19 non-phonetic words a week? Give me an example, please. I’d think that most words would be phonetically sounded out. Can’t think of any that are not. I can only think of something a friend told me about his name and someone saying they had been told to contact “The White God” … his name is “Dwight Dodd” Only thing I can think of is to ‘divide’ the words into something that sounds like another word; and, then say it faster than normal. It will take a lot of memorization to do this. Thanks.

I’m sure that he isn’t having this issue; but, my nephew had “dysgraphia’; totally different from “dyslexia”. Sister would help him with spelling words; and, he could do them at home; but, when he got to school the next day … mind just went blank. She said it was ‘awful’. Public/private schools tried; and, until they were able to get him into a “preforming arts school” he struggled all the time. This child, at the age of 9 or 10 could memorize the entire play and all the parts (when scenes were to be changed). That was amazing! He is ADD/ADHD, so he will have to take medication for the rest of his life; because ADHD is NOT something that you ‘outgrow’. My DYS was ADD; but, he learned how to compensate for it and stopped taking the Ritalin he was Rx’d in 5th grade. Never had any problems after that and was on the “Dean’s List” in college. But, he was also doing something that would lead to a job that he wanted (and got, so he ‘never’ works a day in his life). But, they do keep him very busy during hunting season.

DOGD has always studied with ‘flash cards’, since she was in middle school, at least. DOS cannot study with others in the room. DYS can get by with just reading over the chapter. I just have to read it and then just ‘wing it’ by the ‘seat of my pants’. I’m someone that needs to ‘read it’, have someone ‘show me’, let me ‘try it’, ‘show me again’, and, usually afterwards I can do just about anything.

Move over on that ‘soapbox’, too! If that happens … country-wide … we will end up with only 2 classes … the very rich and the very poor; middle income will just struggle until they give up. That is what is said. We ought to be judged on our merits and not on sex, race, or anything else. Put someone out there who is a ‘people person’ he is probably going to be ‘good at sales’. When my DH was a salesman ... the more he worked, the more he worked. So, he did what he needed to do in order to make a living. When we were first married, besides his regular job, he loaded trucks, sometimes taking double shifts on weekends. He is going to be 75 in about 3 weeks and still works like he did when he was 35. Lugging around 40 foot ladders and moving them around. DOS has started helping him with those ladders. He even worked when he had a catheter in and with a urine bag attached to his leg. I don't know how he did it. I could not sell ‘ice water’ in HELL-O’. Everybody wants to make more; but, even then, we’d probably ‘buy more’. Most people try to live within their means, when possible; but, emergencies do come up and they can be devastating.

Lenora a/k/a GRITSandSLUTS
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    a8qsvv91le65.jpg

The Alhambra Palace, from the top of the hill behind where we are staying.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gloria, when my kids were in grade school, those were called sight words. In my grand kids school they are now called up words. I developed a game called 'train'. I took those flash cards, well the child and myself made them together, it gave ownership. We would put them on the floor like a train. I'll use Christina's name, She would start out reading the word and if right, progress to the next. If a word is missed, the word was to go to the front of the train and you start over again. Of course there has to be a lot of hoot and holler as she gets a word. It always helps if along with the train, you also have some cookies to join the train party. Of course if would be better if it were something like apple slices, carrots, etc. The cards would also go along with us in the car. It is never used as homework or chore but has to be a game, happy atmosphere. We had Trinity during a time when she was in school and she had to have homework while she was with us. We played Train and I described it to her teacher and teacher loved it. Learning wa a game.

Joyce, Indiana
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies-
    I'm back from lunch with friends and getting ready for work.

Gloria- I'm a retired elementary teacher. It is hard to believe that in this day and time the student has random words to memorize. For a number of years the push has been a developmental approach based first around phonics patterns and working toward more complicated 2 syllable words (which also use the phonics patterns within the syllables) for a kid that age. He shouldn't have random words!Dysgraphia is disability that can be very challenging. Usually kids like this just can't connect with the phonics patterns. Usually this is pretty noticeable even at a low level with words like "mail or snowman, etc. Just looking at flashcards probably won't help. He could use his finger to trace the letters on the cards as he says them. He should write them two or three times each day. Important that he says the letters as he writes the word. Another trick my students actually enjoyed was drawing pictures of the words. This is something that works for most words. With 19 words, he could do 4 each night. He would write the word then do a simple line drawing of it. This helps to connect meaning to the words.As far as pretests go - this is part of the crazy push for assessment and accountabliity that is going on. If used right it could screen out kids who need more challenge but most teachers use it as a way to let the smart kids get out of the Friday test while it deflates the self esteem of the other kids. That's my soap box!!!!

Catch ya later. Off to work til 8:00.
    Toni
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for weighing in on the spelling dilemma. I like the idea of making a game of it. I went online and found out about phonograms which I had never heard of. It seems there are actual rules concerning the spelling of say wh words and words with the sound of ch which could be a ch or a tch. Now this makes sense to me and I wonder why we were never taught this instead of just memorizing which lasts about as long as it takes to take a test. As far as the pretests go - my 11yr olds teacher refused to give them to her class because she saw how frustrated it made the students! Kudos to a great teacher!!! And BIG HUGS to all of you current and former teachers who DO NOT OR DID NOT GET PAID WHAT YOU ARE WORTH!!!drawing-the-love-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ What beautiful things you and DH are seeing.

Lenora ~ My son was ADD/HD. He had many problems in school and totally hated it. Today, he works hard and does well in a job that keeps him moving. I think I was probably ADD also and now my grand children are showing signs of have some of the same problems.

Long day for me today. I feel totally unmotivated and can't get up the energy to do housework. Could it be that at 68 I have been doing house work since I was a little girl. I'm over it but I hate for my house to be dirty (and it is). Sorry for complaining!

Carol ~ Wishing Some of That Rain From the Coast Would Come Our Way!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Katla - Very wise decision regarding the saddle. If the saddle does not fit the horse it will make riding difficult and even lame the horse. The back muscles, shoulders and even the 'hump' at the base of the neck must fit the horse in order for them to move evenly and pain free. If you are riding English tack, it becomes even more critical and don't fall for 'we can just throw extra padding on underneath the saddle and it will work out.'

A poor fitting saddle is likely to pinch muscles and/or nerves causing the horse to be testy or even refuse to do as you want. When you finally find a partial lease ask me about the 'sweat test' using a saddle pad with a saddle on the horse. It will help confirm the saddle fit is good for the horse. Now the easy part of saddle fitting is fitting you to the saddle and that can be done without the horse being saddled (initially).

Charleen in Colorado (English and Western riding, loved my horse who could do both)
    9ixyjk3jktj1.jpg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    carol give up the housework today, you deserve a break. I Feel lucky that my DH has a low tolerance for real messy house and will just start cleaning without a word from me and I don't feel guilty. Score!!!

Toni such an insightful post about the pressures of testing these days. I keep hoping the tides will turn and we can get back to teaching all kinds of learners, respecting hard work, creativity, risk taking and individuality in our future citizens
    NYKAREN
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :o
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hello! Happy Friday! I am here! I logged onto my computer this morning and it had a virus and wouldn't let me do anything. So...dh finished his day at work and fixed my computer! Yea! The virus I had is actually called a "scareware". It showed up as a notice from Microsoft, complete with their logo and internet address (or close to it) and a very official webpage explaining that my computer was showing signs of being hacked and to call their service department to have some one talk me through the process of getting rid of the virus. They even provided an error code to give to the service department. I just turned my computer off, because along with the visual it also had an automated voice explaining what needed to be done; and as my day was beginning and children were arriving, I knew I didn't have time to deal with it; hoax or not. So...just turned it off. Logged back in this afternoon and the webpage came back up, minus the annoying automated voice; so dh took care of it for me. "this computer is clean"
    Keeping an eye on FL and thinking of friends who have decided to hunker down. Because the hurricane turned, my friends are pretty much in the clear. Getting some rain and wind, but not what they thought they would get. Now, another friend and her family have a house on the beach in Jacksonville. They evacuated further inland, and are glad they did. Their house showed up on the news, just getting pounded by water and wind. They have each other and "the important things" but still heart wrenching to watch it happen. <3
    Gloria - I always did flash cards with my kids for sight words; but when they had words that they really struggled with, we went to writing them out. Studies have shown that writing seems to imprint the words into your brain. You retain more. The current studies even compare the students who write out their notes during class vs the kids who type them out on a computer; the students who actually wrote the words scored higher in retention testing. Spelling is so hard to explain to a young child though. Why does this letter sound like this in this word; but then in this word it sounds like this. Then we have the rules like "i before e, except after c, except for the exceptions" Darn those exceptions!! >:) Good luck!
    Re- sounds like your vacation did what it was supposed to do. Give you some relaxation time! Yea, YOU!
    Well, I guess I should see about dinner.
    Love to all!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    I taught high school math so not much help on the spelling words, but as a content coach, I can weigh in on the pre-test. The beauty of having it is not in its score (19 out of 19 is to be expected if you've never seen any of them) but in the celebration of improvement with the post-test. 14 out of 19 might not look impressive until you compare to the pre-test. Hey, you now know 14 more words than you knew last week. You can also celebrate on the words that are occasionally right on the pre-test. Did you know this word! Great! You remembered how to spell it. You don't? But you still spelled it correctly. What did you do to figure it out?