So this happened..

Options

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't like good quality chocolate, but as a mark of my dedication to the cheap stuff I put FRs and milk into a blender last week (I'm still on a liquified diet due to neurosurgery last month, during which they damaged my masseter muscle so I can't grind food in my mouth yet). For other lovers of cheap chocs I can thoroughly recommend Lidl chocolate bars, especially the ones with hazelnuts in.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Snobs gonna snob.

Dude, I make my own chocolates ...you know nothing of snobs :)

That's what all the snobs say...
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Snobs gonna snob.

It's true. I am.

Yes, I agree.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Snobs gonna snob.

Dude, I make my own chocolates ...you know nothing of snobs :)

That's dedication!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I find straight up Hersheys tastes like its burnt. Like the way melted chocolate tastes when you accidentally microwave it too long.

I freely admit to being a chocolate snob. I keep these in my pantry, just for baking:

s-l225.jpg461-a-Lindt-semi-sweet-cho-253x220_0.jpg

2.5kg bags of Lindt Madagascar 70% coverture
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    I don't know if there's any truth to the idea that the formulas of different brands are different in different countries. (different!) So a Hershey bar might taste different here than there. I know there was a huge demand for Mexican Coca-Cola here for a while. I like Hershey. It's not gourmet, but it's sweet, creamy and melts well for a s'more.

Recipes are different. A lot of US production has switched to high fructose corn syrup. Other countries mostly still use straight up sugar.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I find straight up Hersheys tastes like its burnt. Like the way melted chocolate tastes when you accidentally microwave it too long.

I freely admit to being a chocolate snob. I keep these in my pantry, just for baking:

I am actually a chocolate snob myself. I usually go with the high end stuff. The REAL Greatest packages cookie of all time. Just don't tell @Carlos_421
    gvax3gcd99lc.jpg

Seriously, throw a couple of packets of Tim Tams in a food processor with enough condensed milk to make them gooey enough to roll into balls, then roll the balls in coconut and whack them in the fridge. Food of the gods. Works really well with the Chewy Caramel variety.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I almost did at lunch -- I was trying to goad Sue to give me a brand of chocolate she rated highly so I'd have an excuse to go to the lunch place that also has lots of imported chocolate for lunch to see if I could find and buy it. Probably for the best that that did not work out, as I have some Talenti at home that I was planning to have after dinner. (Not chocolate OR hazelnut, although relevant to this conversation also related to childhood nostalgia.)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I am actually a chocolate snob myself. I usually go with the high end stuff. The REAL Greatest packages cookie of all time. Just don't tell @Carlos_421
    gvax3gcd99lc.jpg

Seriously, throw a couple of packets of Tim Tams in a food processor with enough condensed milk to make them gooey enough to roll into balls, then roll the balls in coconut and whack them in the fridge. Food of the gods. Works really well with the Chewy Caramel variety.

This sounds like witchcraft I'm on board with. Now wondering when my Kiwi bestie is next going home so I can make requests.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So where do you find Tim Tams in the US?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My Canadian grocery store chain carries Tim Tams. They are pretty decent. :)
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    I don't know if there's any truth to the idea that the formulas of different brands are different in different countries. (different!) So a Hershey bar might taste different here than there. I know there was a huge demand for Mexican Coca-Cola here for a while. I like Hershey. It's not gourmet, but it's sweet, creamy and melts well for a s'more.

Recipes are different. A lot of US production has switched to high fructose corn syrup. Other countries mostly still use straight up sugar.

I'm sure you're right, though I believe Hershey is still made with cane sugar (though maybe they used beet sugar once upon a time?) as are Ghirardelli and Endangered Species. Those are the only ones I can vouch for though.

edit: & I've now consumed half a bar of dark with sea salt and almonds while reading through this thread
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate and Caramel with Sea Salt. <3
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I get em at Target.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I saw Tim Tams at Target the other day. Wish I bought them now...
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm a chocolate snob. I can appreciate a lot of products across the board, it's just hershey's in particular that tastes like dirty, gritty, burning.
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The only hazelnut + chocolate combo I approve is a shot of Frangelico, Moonstruck truffles, and...two cigarettes. American Spirits, black pack.