40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Woke up tired and sore so decided to call an audible and switch to yoga this morn. Decent stretch and felt good but will likely have to hit a kettlebell routine tomorrow (unless I can get out for a bike).

@gam3rguy Enjoy the vacation (I assume a real vacation and not just traveling to another Spartan series :))

@BettyM1017 Happy Belated
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym today... 20 minutes on the Smart Stride Machine (2.25 miles); 16 minutes rowing machine (1.41 miles); and 37 minutes of strength training. Tried a new ab roller/crunch machine. Might start incorporating it into my workout...I need more for my abs. Need to do some planks, but the day is quickly getting away from me, so not sure I'll get them in today...might be a weekend of plank work...along with housecleaning and the garden. Have a great weekend all you cool kids! :sunglasses:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    August of 1974 here!
  • 1fitlady
    1fitlady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    August of 1974 here!

Hahaha me too!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X2 X2 Yoga"=Done!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    LAST DAY OF WORK BEFORE VACATION!!! I PREDICT EPIC LEVELS OF GOOFING OFF TODAY!!! (like, MORE than usual!!!)

Enjoy that vacation! I hope you're doing something unforgettable! (in a good way

goofing off! sleeping in, video games, Pokémon hunting with the pup. not going back 'til December 1!!!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    tojo_73 wrote: »
    Woke up tired and sore so decided to call an audible and switch to yoga this morn. Decent stretch and felt good but will likely have to hit a kettlebell routine tomorrow (unless I can get out for a bike).

@gam3rguy Enjoy the vacation (I assume a real vacation and not just traveling to another Spartan series :))

@BettyM1017 Happy Belated

"real" vacation...November...all of it! :p (Oct 31 too...'cuz it's a Monday) got me some horror games lined up...and Arkham City, because Scarecrow's the main baddie!!! extra ghost type Pokémon this weekend too, so...hiking in the park with the pup!!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    no Spartans until next April...then it's on...again...
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Easy paced 10 miler done this morning as the sun rose. Now its time to fight back against the knee deep invasion of fallen leaves in my yard. Quick burst of snow on Thursday brought them all down at once.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Trying to work up the interest in going to 10am kickboxing. My son is home sick so I'm staying home. He's 11 so fine for a couple of hours if I want to go, but I won't let him stay on his own all day. However looking at him sleeping on the couch makes me think making napping sounds better!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    Trying to work up the interest in going to 10am kickboxing.
    Kickboxing? Do you mean a "cardio-kickboxing class"?
    Sorry, pet peeve of mine since I am a coach.
    If you are not ever fighting an opponent then you are not "kickboxing".
    If you have never been kicked or punched in the head when training then you are not "kickboxing."

People don't claim to be "boxers" just because they have punched a heavy bag or tried to hit a speed bag but for some reason, people often imply they are "kickboxing" just because they go to a cardio class.
    Calling a cardio class "kickboxing" sounds better in ads and marketing I guess but it is rather offensive to actual kickboxers who train hard and then battle it out in the ring.

No offense intended towards you; I am just looking for clarity.
    The first step to fix the problem is educating people who use the term improperly.

John Glendening in the blue head gear (one of the guys I coach) wins by TKO in the second round of a K-1 kickboxing match, after taking a couple of groin kicks from the other guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3vBe69Jy8
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    3furballs and gam3rguys it has been a long time. Hope both of you are well. Looks like I have missed out on a lot as I am responding on page 401. I am now addicted to hot yoga boot camp and hot barre. Why wasn't I aware of these classes before? I will do a better job in keeping up with what is going on with the group. Have a great day everyone.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    TheSufferfest - cycling trainer workout done.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @cqbkaju , yes it's cardio kickboxing on the heavy bags, no I didn't specify, I've specified many times over the years on this thread and just didn't feel the need to specify every time. No I don't spar in the ring.

Cardio kickboxing, focus pads, kettlebell and self defence based on jujitsu/taikwondo are my workouts. At the dojo you have to be at least a yellow belt in the karate program to spar. I'm not in karate. We do randori in self defence and that's it for anything like sparring.

@caramelgyrlk , long time no see! That sounds like a great class. I need to get back to Sunday hot yoga, helps stretch out all the kinks.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @3furballs Thank you for the clarification.

Good luck in your workouts.

BTW, it is "taekwondo".
    Americans mispronounce it "Tie,kwon,doe" so often that they are even starting to spell it wrong.
    It should be roughly pronounced as: tay-gwon-doe, all together with no pauses. Like a single word.

Yes, it is pedantic. The grammar and vocabulary of a language often is.

Source: My first coach (when I was much younger) trained in Korea.
    Now many "tie,kwon,doe" instructors in America seem to care more about if you paid your tuition than if you are pronouncing the name correctly.
    I frequently hear "black belts" in the style pronounce it wrong.