November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nearly a year in this group and I've finally figured out how to set up a ticker on my phone lol.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 50 this month. Might be difficult with TRX three times a week, but I will get there!

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should try again to learn something other than breast stroke; but getting arms & legs & breathing right at the same time seemed impossible the last time I tried to learn crawl swimming.

@_nikkiwolf_ 4 years ago I couldn't swim - well like you I could do the Breast Stroke. Signed up for the Learn to swim at the local pool 2 sessions 5 weeks per and 2 lessons a week ( 20 lessons ) and I am a swimmer - not a great swimmer but I can now do over 2 km at a time in our Adult Swim Club ( 1hr ). Get in there and get wet. The best lesson I learned was to break the swim down into its components, arm pull, kick and breathing. Do the drills for each one and then put it all together. In running you need time/distance in your shoes to improve your technique-cardio. Swimming is the same time/distance in the water naturally improves technique.
    Breathing - for two years I was a single sided - right - breather. Just picked up bi-lateral breathing last year. I seen a YouTube video on breathing drills and did them on my own. For me with our long dark winters it gives me a second option for exercise in case we get some extreme weather that closes down our running trails.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 I have to take the training wheels off, well that leaves me out.
    @ddmom0811 never mind the open swim, you aren't safe in a pool either:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3890816/A-true-gentleman-Man-leaps-swimming-pool-CROCODILE-dives-leaves-partner-fight-herself.html
    @07katieP13 woohoo on the ticker :smile:
    @tattooeddolphingirl78 good luck with your surgery
    @stoshew71 your miles list says October, please stop drinking and posting :wink:
    @_nikkiwolf_ and @ddmom0811 I agree on the leaves, I run in the middle of the street a lot because I'm afraid something will run out of the bushes and I'll pee myself or worse!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1- Rest Day
    11/2- 4 miles solo plus 1 mile with Stella
    11/3- 0.8 miles with Stella (AM)+

exercise.png

Did my morning run with Stella. I am hoping to get in a routine where we do it 4 of 5 weekday mornings. She ran great today. She saw me putting on my Garmin and ran for the door. So funny. She knows her regular route now and didn't even really stop to sniff, just slowed down, but sped back up when I said "run". She did stop to poop...always in the same spot on our route. I think she gets the "runner's trots" because she had just gone an hour before on our walk. Oh well, can't blame her for that. Even with the poop stop, she averaged a 9:43 pace. I did some good yoga this morning as well. Planning on an evening easy run to add to today's total.

@MNLittleFinn - Usually when I have those days where my HR is higher at slower paces and I can't attribute it to weather or other issues, it tells me I am in need of a bit of rest. I usually lighten my load the following day and things get back on track.

@skippygirlsmom - Good luck to Skip!! Fingers crossed.

@HonuNui Love your goal and love Lily!

@Shanaber - I also meant to make a comment on Hobbes' Halloween costume. Totally love it! And love that he will tolerate those glasses!

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Well, got back from my crazy weekend of shag dancing in Barcelona. Desperately in need of sleep, am very congested, and dancing on hard marble floors has given me suspected shin splints.

My goal of a a 12k race this coming Sunday is looking less likely, but I will test out a gentle run tomorrow morning to see a) how I feel and b) whether i need to rest these legs.

My goal for the month is 30 miles, albeing well injurywise.

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I definitely will be thinking about Skip tomorrow and praying she does her best! You've got quite a girl there!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I always seem to have weird HR jumps when the temps get cold for the first time, I think it's just acclimatization
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @lporter229 yeah, that might be it too. Today was a weird day, since my in-laws left yesterday, it may have been something of an adrenaline dump thing. I'm going to see how tomorrow goes, and then cutback my mileage on Friday if my HR remains high.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think I'm really struggling right now with making running a real priority. It's more of a back burner thing. And maybe that's okay. I don't know. I guess it's not okay because I'm not happy about it :-p I don't want to whine. I just have a lot going on right now and I'm basically just hoping for 15 miles a week/60 this month. So I think I'm just gonna have to let it go and not feel guilty that I'm not running 5 days a week. But it's hard. I'm whining. Whoops.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    November goal: 75 miles
    11/1: 3 miles (m)
    11/2: Rest Day

My Total/November: 3 miles
    Mike's Total: 3 miles

Still had some soreness in my left leg last night, so I decided to take a running break today and Fergus and I just walked our 3.5 miles this morning.

@HonuNui Lily is a cutie!

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 Well wishes to you on your surgery and hoping for a quick recovery!

@skippygirlsmom Fingers & toes crossed for Skip!

@lporter229 Sounds like Stella likes her morning run! If she's like Fergus, pretty soon she will start giving you grief on days that you don't go. Fergus will follow me around, nudge me and even whine a little bit if I try to skip a day.

Have a great day everyone!

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I think I'm really struggling right now with making running a real priority. It's more of a back burner thing. And maybe that's okay. I don't know. I guess it's not okay because I'm not happy about it :-p I don't want to whine. I just have a lot going on right now and I'm basically just hoping for 15 miles a week/60 this month. So I think I'm just gonna have to let it go and not feel guilty that I'm not running 5 days a week. But it's hard. I'm whining. Whoops.

I know the feeling you're having. That was how I was earlier this year, and last fall, when I tried to get into running, and just couldn't do it. I think the changing seasons has something to do with it.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ That ticker is really pretty. Can't help but try to get one for myself :)
    svLgm7.png
    It is my official "I miss snow" ticker :smiley:

I also can only swim in breaststroke and struggle swimming free-style. I thought about taking an adult class but the time didn't work for me. I also thought about participating in a local YMCA sprint Tri just to get a feel for it. At least, I can swim in lanes without worrying about kicking someone else. At the end, I chose to quit YMCA membership and signed up for a HM. A tri is still in my bucket list but maybe later...
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Good luck to Skip!!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Given that running will become a backburner issue for me due to my surgery, can I join you on the whining part? :wink:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui Love your picture of Lily - great inspiration! I am trying to bring the fun feeling back to running too

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 Hope your surgery goes well and you have an easy recovery.

@skippygirlsmom Good luck to Skip! Rooting for her (not a pun about the tree root - just realized that :smile: ).

@lporter229 Good job Stella! I had to take my Stella to the vet for follow-up shots this morning and she screamed like a demon possessed back there! I've never heard such a thing. But they eventually got the job done and then I took her for a nice run along the canal. She did so well. She also had to stop to poop and seemed annoyed that I didn't get what she wanted right away. She's making super progress with the running leash. Go Stellas!

@greenolivetree sorry you are feeling a bit in a funk. Don't waste time feeling guilty (easier said than done I know), but realize you are doing what you need to for you right now. Good luck to you.

Date :::: Miles :::: Nov total (goal = 75)
    11/01/16 :::: 5.7 :::: 5.7
    11/02/16 :::: 2.9 :::: 8.5

This morning's run felt good, Stella kept me on a good pace with only a few stops and starts. Great running weather along the canal today and nice to have taken some time away from work (don't tell).

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that! I'd love to do a tri. Tell ya what, I'll put a sprint tri on my calendar for 2017 if you do :wink: .

Anyone else ready to jump in the tri boat?

Good luck on the bike. Check the LBS (local bike stores) for used bikes. I have a road bike- I'll have to do.

I'm in! Will have to find one for summer or fall. I'll keep you posted.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that! I'd love to do a tri. Tell ya what, I'll put a sprint tri on my calendar for 2017 if you do :wink: .

Anyone else ready to jump in the tri boat?

Good luck on the bike. Check the LBS (local bike stores) for used bikes. I have a road bike- I'll have to do.

I'm in! Will have to find one for summer or fall. I'll keep you posted.

Yay! A training buddy!

@karllundy Our Y is being remodeled and won't be back open until summer 2017. I may have to give back in to the old people pool.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This month goal is the highest it has ever been. 286 km (177 miles). Wish me good luck.

@skippygirlsmom According to my family name I might be part Greek so I will put in a good word with Hermes, the god of fast

Date.......Distance.....Type

November 1 - 11.8 km - Easy
    November 2 - 11.6 km - Easy

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut) 1:31:53