Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    Bump -- would love to hear what program you lifters are running these days :)

I'm currently running Norton's PH3. Love it!

Started with Stronglifts 5X5. Loved it, but outgrew that after about 14 months. Switched to Wendler's 5/3/1, which I DID NOT like (I know, I'm an outlier). Only stuck with 5/3/1 about five months before looking for something I liked better. Which turned out to be PH3. I'm about 2/3 through Phase 2.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Started with Stronglifts 5X5. Loved it, but outgrew that after about 14 months. Switched to Wendler's 5/3/1, which I DID NOT like (I know, I'm an outlier). Only stuck with 5/3/1 about five months before looking for something I liked better. Which turned out to be PH3. I'm about 2/3 through Phase 2.

I had myself all lined up to start 5/3/1 Monday but now I'm finding myself still searching. The fiddling with 1RMs & %s is making my head spin. WTF is my problem! I cannot nail anything down. I may go back to PHUL or checkout PH3. I think realistically 3-4 days is the max I can get into the gym, PH3 is 5? Modifiable?
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I had myself all lined up to start 5/3/1 Monday but now I'm finding myself still searching. The fiddling with 1RMs & %s is making my head spin. WTF is my problem! I cannot nail anything down. I may go back to PHUL or checkout PH3. I think realistically 3-4 days is the max I can get into the gym, PH3 is 5? Modifiable?

It's supposed to be 4-5 days, depending on the week. I use the bodyspace app to track it and if I get behind, I can just go back to the one I miss. I've only made it two days this week. It also has set rest days, and I don't always line up with those, due to kids and other responsibilities. So I have modified it a bit. Still seeing progress, though!

It sets up your days on the monthly calendar, so I just go back to the ones I missed and do them. I'm perpetually behind at this point :D but I'm getting all the lifts in, eventually.
  • quiksylver296
    edited November 2016
    Options

That was one of my problems with it. Just tell me what weight to load on, darn it!

In PH3, you do have to do a little calculation. It has you do different percentages of your 1RM. Since I am using my phone to track anyway, I just use my calculator. 87.5% of 300 isn't too hard to find. 80% of your 90% 1RM like 5/3/1 wants...blech.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The starting weights are so low with wendler - and I understand the reasoning etc. But did it feel like you were even working much for the first while??
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    The starting weights are so low with wendler - and I understand the reasoning etc. But did it feel like you were even working much for the first while??

for the first couple of cycles i felt that way. but in my case i was probably overdue for a switch so it felt wonderful. i had been fighting my 'next' weights on 3x5 for so long. wendler was so nice after that. just getting to do all my sets and knowing i'd done all of them well felt great.
  • nupururja
    nupururja Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No obvious results yet.Im focusing on shedding weight now, once I reach my healthy BMI, I shall train more and bulk up a little :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic transformation @Nikkimaxim! Especially for such a short timeframe. Love your curves!
  • Nikkimaxim
    Nikkimaxim Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic transformation @Nikkimaxim! Especially for such a short timeframe. Love your curves!

Thank you!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @Tattooedmom44, you look amazing! What a recovery. Your lats!
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

@Tattooedmom44, you look amazing! What a recovery. Your lats!

Thank you.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is super annoying. Lots of pictures coming. I'm 5'4" and lift mostly for strength, though I did do a bit of bodybuilding during the bulk.

The wonderful thing about weight training is that it really DOES transform your body, and if you pick a goal and train with specificity, you can achieve a look you desire. I've gone through different phases.

The first weight loss phase from 160ish to 133 is in the 4 side by sides below.
    ourbkgkv0dgd.jpg

From there I decided I really wanted to gain muscle but was not lean enough, so I started to lose fat again. I dipped down to about 128 here. The beauty is, if I had wanted to stay there, that would have been an alright look as well. It was definitely my smallest.
    u77labnc34fh.jpg

nn2yaqwzb9z6.jpg

Then I gained up to 142-144. I really liked the in between stage around 137 but here was the end result of the bulk. Obviously I gained fat. The next step was to cut again.
    d1odqqg1inyf.jpg

I had a successful cut to 137ish but couldn't hold it. I believe this is the 137 or 138.
    izvjrv8uridh.jpg

Then I accidentally gained more weight. I'm at 148 in my profile pic and here. I'm not happy here, I'd like to be leaner. But seriously....the booty gains. Don't forget to hip thrust.
    n3wdv7r2pmdt.jpg

This was my favorite look. A lean day at 137 AFTER I cut from the first intended bulk.
    y14l39j0xwiw.jpg

I also like this look, which is a little heavier. Maybe around 140.
    d44trcl1pte4.jpg

Your pics always amaze me. :flowerforyou:

I'm right there with you on the accidental regain. :disappointed: Though I think you at 137 looks leaner than I do at 133.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Your pics always amaze me. :flowerforyou:

I'm right there with you on the accidental regain. :disappointed: Though I think you at 137 looks leaner than I do at 133. [/quote]

We started from different places girl. Your accomplishments inspire me :)

• Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In the gym training my upper body. Anything worth having is worth working for. Make your health a priority!!