Annoyances at the gym!

1161719212230

Replies

  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    It is rude similarly like the old beer commercial with the well built, leggy Swedish girls. So I do get your point. It isn't good to stereotype.

    This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TRXOPL_vU

    Oh god, I've not seen that ad in ages! One of my favourites.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    OK, here's something annoying that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Happened to me last night. I was on the elliptical in a line of about 20 empty ones--no others were being used. And a guy gets on the one right next me. Unusual, but whatever, I'm in my zone, I ignore him. But then an employee comes up and stands in front of and between the two machines. I pull out my earbuds because she obviously wants to say something. She says, "You two playing nice?" WTH? I don't say anything but the guy takes it as some kind of introduction and starts talking to me for the next 12.5 minutes. I know his entire life story. So apparently my gym now acts like a dating service. Too bad I was 20 years older than him, sweating profusely, out of breath, oh, and married. :#
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,582 Member
    I'm more like this............

    hy5usbzrl6jm.jpg

    Not touching the obvious there!

    You know you wanna, though...

    ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,589 Member
    I'm more like this............

    hy5usbzrl6jm.jpg

    Not touching the obvious there!

    You know you wanna, though...

    ;)

    Well lunk is as lunk does. ;)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,604 Member
    OK, here's something annoying that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Happened to me last night. I was on the elliptical in a line of about 20 empty ones--no others were being used. And a guy gets on the one right next me. Unusual, but whatever, I'm in my zone, I ignore him. But then an employee comes up and stands in front of and between the two machines. I pull out my earbuds because she obviously wants to say something. She says, "You two playing nice?" WTH? I don't say anything but the guy takes it as some kind of introduction and starts talking to me for the next 12.5 minutes. I know his entire life story. So apparently my gym now acts like a dating service. Too bad I was 20 years older than him, sweating profusely, out of breath, oh, and married. :#

    Really? That's just weird. I think afterwards I would've asked the employee what the point of that was and that it ultimately distracted you from your workout. I don't talk to anyone when I'm doing cardio so nice or not I would've just ignored the guy.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Just common sense stuff
    people who leave the shower looking like crap, with hair all over the place would be about the only thing that makes me upset.

    Because it's totally their job to look attractive and presentable for you. :lol:

    I think he meant the shower stall was a mess, not the person leaving it lol!
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 123 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Yes people who throw weights.
    People who rest for long periods and hog machines.

    Here we go again...
    What about someone utilizing a longer rest period hurts you? It's not unreasonable for someone training for strength to have 3-5 minute rest periods.
    Train for your goals in your way. Let other people train for theirs in their way.

    That's the reason you let someone work in with you.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 123 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    What gets me is all the bros squatting in my curl rack.

    People doing 65lb curls in the power rack
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    grob49 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    What gets me is all the bros squatting in my curl rack.

    People doing 65lb curls in the power rack

    I've done that. Supersetting OHP with curls. Two bars - we had many more bars than places to use them at my old gym - one on the pins for OHP, one on the safety rails for curls.

    XVO46.gif
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    OK, here's something annoying that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Happened to me last night. I was on the elliptical in a line of about 20 empty ones--no others were being used. And a guy gets on the one right next me. Unusual, but whatever, I'm in my zone, I ignore him. But then an employee comes up and stands in front of and between the two machines. I pull out my earbuds because she obviously wants to say something. She says, "You two playing nice?" WTH? I don't say anything but the guy takes it as some kind of introduction and starts talking to me for the next 12.5 minutes. I know his entire life story. So apparently my gym now acts like a dating service. Too bad I was 20 years older than him, sweating profusely, out of breath, oh, and married. :#

    Really? That's just weird. I think afterwards I would've asked the employee what the point of that was and that it ultimately distracted you from your workout. I don't talk to anyone when I'm doing cardio so nice or not I would've just ignored the guy.

    Yeah that is so weird I would have to stop my workout and go somewhere else.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    VersaGripps for the win :)

    I have a $20 knock off, they have lasted over a year so even if they wear out soon I think I'm ok paying about 1/4 of what I would for Versas lol. Good product though, much better than straps!

    I have a knock off too ... not because I lift supah heavy, but because my grip sucks. I love them to bits. And they're pink!!!!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    DebSozo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

    What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

    I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

    Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

    Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

    I find it problematic to have as a business model. Essentially they are pushing the idea (and trying to convince people) that if they go to other gyms (which might well have more and better equipment and more opportunities to really learn how to lift) that they will be made to feel uncomfortable, that people who take weights seriously are bad and scary people. Basically spreading divisiveness and fear. I think it's disgusting.

    I am not saying I wouldn't use a PF if it were the only thing I thought was reasonably priced for what it provided around me or if it were the most convenient thing -- for me convenience in a gym is paramount and I have very specific things I want and if it provided those I'd hold my nose and put up with it, maybe, if the corporate policy were not so apparent in the particular branch. Happily, for me, it's not an issue, as there isn't even one convenient for me at all (apparently my neighborhood and where I work are not in their preferred demographic, which is kind of interesting). But I am troubled when people (not you) use the negatives about the chain as promotional things, and I think it's unethical enough to profit off such a model that I'd personally think twice about joining even if it were otherwise the best choice and I would continue to speak against the business model when it comes up.

    It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person can attend and would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

    There are plenty of places where overweight or obese people can go and feel comfortable.

    My last gym was attached to a health and wellness center. The clientele ranged from the hard core lifters, to frail senior citizens, to morbidly obese people in scooters who came in and used the arm bike, to mentally challenged individuals from a group home. All of them had a place in that gym and all felt comfortable working out there.

    This center was right across a parking lot from a local Y. They had the same sort of mix of clientele. The only reason I didn't join the Y instead was because the Y was more expensive.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

    What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

    I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

    Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

    Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

    I find it problematic to have as a business model. Essentially they are pushing the idea (and trying to convince people) that if they go to other gyms (which might well have more and better equipment and more opportunities to really learn how to lift) that they will be made to feel uncomfortable, that people who take weights seriously are bad and scary people. Basically spreading divisiveness and fear. I think it's disgusting.

    I am not saying I wouldn't use a PF if it were the only thing I thought was reasonably priced for what it provided around me or if it were the most convenient thing -- for me convenience in a gym is paramount and I have very specific things I want and if it provided those I'd hold my nose and put up with it, maybe, if the corporate policy were not so apparent in the particular branch. Happily, for me, it's not an issue, as there isn't even one convenient for me at all (apparently my neighborhood and where I work are not in their preferred demographic, which is kind of interesting). But I am troubled when people (not you) use the negatives about the chain as promotional things, and I think it's unethical enough to profit off such a model that I'd personally think twice about joining even if it were otherwise the best choice and I would continue to speak against the business model when it comes up.

    It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person can attend and would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

    There are plenty of places where overweight or obese people can go and feel comfortable.

    My last gym was attached to a health and wellness center. The clientele ranged from the hard core lifters, to frail senior citizens, to morbidly obese people in scooters who came in and used the arm bike, to mentally challenged individuals from a group home. All of them had a place in that gym and all felt comfortable working out there.

    This center was right across a parking lot from a local Y. They had the same sort of mix of clientele. The only reason I didn't join the Y instead was because the Y was more expensive.

    PF is a special-interest gym. They know that there are a lot more average people than big lifters to market to.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    NM
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,407 Member
    Ooh, I also get annoyed when the leggings I wear roll down at the waist. I hate hitching up my pants between every freaking set.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,945 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

    What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

    I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

    Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

    It also means "a brawny and sexually attractive male".

    Yeahhh.... no, no it doesn't. You're thinking of 'hunk'.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I just go because my husband signed up as it is near his work. We joined at the same time. I'm thinking of joining a hunky hardcore gym that is closer to our home. It is advertising a similar price but is tiny in comparison.

    But they'll drop weights and grunt there. You wouldn't find the same atmosphere you've been singing the praises of for the last few pages.

    It's okay to be happy at Planet Fitness, Deb.

    What hasn't been cool is that you were, yourself, part of the brigade who had issue with people making noise when they lift weights.
  • getcharley
    getcharley Posts: 1 Member
    What is. crop dusting?
This discussion has been closed.