what are your thoughts on green tea extract?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yes, I like Kit-Kats.
    I also like green tea, too.
    Green tea Kit-Kats, um...
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Green tea has caffeine, caffeine is a stimulant but other then that ...
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Lets all have a cup of tea

I am!!

This one ... because it smells so good, and tastes pretty good, and the camomile seems to relax me just before bed. The relaxation side might be my imagination, but that's OK because it smells and tastes good. :)

791148.jpg

Chamomile has a natural pain reducer so maybe that is why it relaxes you.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    all I can say is if people want to believe it burns fat, to eat in a surplus of calories and drink a lot of green tea and see if it burns fat like you claim it does.

Nobody believes it will do that. Nobody has said that. Nobody has claimed that. It would certainly be nice but....

I think we all know we need deficit to lose fat. So we look for ways to cut intake AND ways to increase the burn rate.

basically the OP said that it did burn fat,the op even said that when she takes it even eating badly she doesnt gain as much weight taking it.she stated that she saw more weight loss from taking it 3 days as compared to before. so yes, they did say that just not in those exact words.

Maybe you can take it that way. I didn't and I still don't. I pretty much hinted at this in my post on the top of this page: Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. On one side you can reduce the intake and eat less calories. On the other side there are ways to get your body to burn more calories. But ultimately you can't take in more calories than you burn and lose weight. I believe we all know that.

I'm being purposely vague because if I get any more detailed and don't say something exactly right, some bros will jump on that and ignore the general idea I'm trying to get across.

I appreciate all the good, helpful comments by some people here. Lots of good ones. The sarcastic, smart-arsed, get-a-dig-in ones, on the other hand... two words and they are not "Merry Christmas!" :wink:

most of us know that it takes a deficit plain and simple,but not everyone knows that. some people believe the claims that these products make and think hey I can do x,y,z eat the way I want and still lose weight. people think these things burn fat,so that they can get rid of the fat without doing anything at all. people think it boosts metabolism(not enough to matter). so they believe that these things work, now for the ones who are in a deficit and using these products, some will believe its the product they are taking(I have seen it many many times with MLM products) and not the deficit.I think its up to those of us who know better to help those who may believe the hype with a lot of these products. It also helps newbies who come to these boards to know that a product doesnt work so they wont waste money, some still do just to see what happens.

Back in the early 90s I got involved in a MLM program for a product called Enrich. I, my mother and several friends, all obese, used products called Power Trim and Nature's Tea plus a couple other of their supplements. We all lost a TON in a very short time. It was not all water weight. Very rapid loss. Then the FDA banned one of the ingredients and it never worked the same again. I can't remember what it was they banned. We did eat less, smaller appetites, but it wasn't that much less to achieve that much of a drastic loss in such a short time. I was eating tacos and ice cream anf losing fat. No exercise at all. Same with all of us.

Of course, we had no plan and gained it all back. I mention this because I do believe there are supplements that can help one lose weight more rapidly. I don't really know how or why they work but try as I might, I never was able to replicate that loss again. None of us could and we all tried many times. Bottom line is that nobody will ever convince me that there's no such thing as a supplement that can help rapidly burn fat. That one got banned but there could be other, safer ones that help.

Now I believe I'm doing it the right way by making a lifestyle change, using MFP and losing weight slow. I'm a type 2 diabetic and in my research I found that green tea has some benefits for me so I take it. I understand some studies conflict but I just try to do the best I can. I hate green tea so I take a supplement and will continue to do so.

That said, with all due respect, I'm done with this one. At least for now. I think this has been beat to death.

I think it was probably ephedra. One of the effects is that it is actually mildly thermogenic (as opposed to the current marketing claims for various thermogenic products that when tested are complete bunk). Since it causes you to generate more heat than you would normally, it increases CO a bit and can help with weight loss. Additionally, it was often combined with an appetite suppressant to increase the weight loss effect.

Unfortunately, misusing it (or using it when you have underlying heart issues that you may not be aware of) can lead to death. Plus, you can turn it into illegal drugs with some chemistry know-how. So, it was banned.

Point being, yes, there are substances that when studied have been shown to reliably increase CO to some degree. None of those are available as legal supplements to the best of my knowledge. Substances that reduce CI tend to be more available to the general public.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    all I can say is if people want to believe it burns fat, to eat in a surplus of calories and drink a lot of green tea and see if it burns fat like you claim it does.

Nobody believes it will do that. Nobody has said that. Nobody has claimed that. It would certainly be nice but....

I think we all know we need deficit to lose fat. So we look for ways to cut intake AND ways to increase the burn rate.

basically the OP said that it did burn fat,the op even said that when she takes it even eating badly she doesnt gain as much weight taking it.she stated that she saw more weight loss from taking it 3 days as compared to before. so yes, they did say that just not in those exact words.

Maybe you can take it that way. I didn't and I still don't. I pretty much hinted at this in my post on the top of this page: Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. On one side you can reduce the intake and eat less calories. On the other side there are ways to get your body to burn more calories. But ultimately you can't take in more calories than you burn and lose weight. I believe we all know that.

I'm being purposely vague because if I get any more detailed and don't say something exactly right, some bros will jump on that and ignore the general idea I'm trying to get across.

I appreciate all the good, helpful comments by some people here. Lots of good ones. The sarcastic, smart-arsed, get-a-dig-in ones, on the other hand... two words and they are not "Merry Christmas!" :wink:

most of us know that it takes a deficit plain and simple,but not everyone knows that. some people believe the claims that these products make and think hey I can do x,y,z eat the way I want and still lose weight. people think these things burn fat,so that they can get rid of the fat without doing anything at all. people think it boosts metabolism(not enough to matter). so they believe that these things work, now for the ones who are in a deficit and using these products, some will believe its the product they are taking(I have seen it many many times with MLM products) and not the deficit.I think its up to those of us who know better to help those who may believe the hype with a lot of these products. It also helps newbies who come to these boards to know that a product doesnt work so they wont waste money, some still do just to see what happens.

Back in the early 90s I got involved in a MLM program for a product called Enrich. I, my mother and several friends, all obese, used products called Power Trim and Nature's Tea plus a couple other of their supplements. We all lost a TON in a very short time. It was not all water weight. Very rapid loss. Then the FDA banned one of the ingredients and it never worked the same again. I can't remember what it was they banned. We did eat less, smaller appetites, but it wasn't that much less to achieve that much of a drastic loss in such a short time. I was eating tacos and ice cream anf losing fat. No exercise at all. Same with all of us.

Of course, we had no plan and gained it all back. I mention this because I do believe there are supplements that can help one lose weight more rapidly. I don't really know how or why they work but try as I might, I never was able to replicate that loss again. None of us could and we all tried many times. Bottom line is that nobody will ever convince me that there's no such thing as a supplement that can help rapidly burn fat. That one got banned but there could be other, safer ones that help.

Now I believe I'm doing it the right way by making a lifestyle change, using MFP and losing weight slow. I'm a type 2 diabetic and in my research I found that green tea has some benefits for me so I take it. I understand some studies conflict but I just try to do the best I can. I hate green tea so I take a supplement and will continue to do so.

That said, with all due respect, I'm done with this one. At least for now. I think this has been beat to death.

I think it was probably ephedra. One of the effects is that it is actually mildly thermogenic (as opposed to the current marketing claims for various thermogenic products that when tested are complete bunk). Since it causes you to generate more heat than you would normally, it increases CO a bit and can help with weight loss. Additionally, it was often combined with an appetite suppressant to increase the weight loss effect.

Unfortunately, misusing it (or using it when you have underlying heart issues that you may not be aware of) can lead to death. Plus, you can turn it into illegal drugs with some chemistry know-how. So, it was banned.

Point being, yes, there are substances that when studied have been shown to reliably increase CO to some degree. None of those are available as legal supplements to the best of my knowledge. Substances that reduce CI tend to be more available to the general public.

I think ephedra was in the 2000s but my memory isn't the best. I tried ephedra too. That was in Stacker2. Did not work for me. Enrich's Power Trim and Nature's Tea worked wonders for everyone I knew who tried it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    green tea Kit Kats

Wut? No.

^^ I'm with her.

Green tea Kit Kats are Japanese, I think. You'll find them in Asian markets and other Asian shops around here ... of which there are many.

They are actually quite nice. :)

I have a store nearby that carries them. Japanese Kit Kats come in a ton of interesting flavors. I've been keeping an eye out for the sake flavored ones they just released for a friend. Hehe

Apologies for going off topic, but are they as sweet as US kitkats? And chocolate covered? Or are they more like wine biscuits ? I'm having trouble reconciling chocolate and green tea.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    green tea Kit Kats

Wut? No.

^^ I'm with her.

Green tea Kit Kats are Japanese, I think. You'll find them in Asian markets and other Asian shops around here ... of which there are many.

I've had them. They are REALLY REALLY good. Got mine when I visited Hershey Park.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    green tea Kit Kats

Wut? No.

^^ I'm with her.

I have a store nearby that carries them. Japanese Kit Kats come in a ton of interesting flavors. I've been keeping an eye out for the sake flavored ones they just released for a friend. Hehe

Apologies for going off topic, but are they as sweet as US kitkats? And chocolate covered? Or are they more like wine biscuits ? I'm having trouble reconciling chocolate and green tea.

Regarding green tea Kit Kats ...

No, they are not particularly sweet. They do have some sweetness, but it is not overly sweet, and there's a hint of bitterness to it. That's one of the things I like about them.

No, they are not chocolate covered ... they're covered in green tea. It's a green tea coating ... sort of like an icing, with a similar consistency to the chocolate that covers chocolate Kit Kats. There's a chance it might be mixed with white chocolate, but I don't detect any chocolate flavour at all.

0713_green_tea_kit_kat.jpg

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    green tea Kit Kats

Wut? No.

^^ I'm with her.

Regarding green tea Kit Kats ...

No, they are not particularly sweet. They do have some sweetness, but it is not overly sweet, and there's a hint of bitterness to it. That's one of the things I like about them.

No, they are not chocolate covered ... they're covered in green tea. It's a green tea coating ... sort of like an icing, with a similar consistency to the chocolate that covers chocolate Kit Kats. There's a chance it might be mixed with white chocolate, but I don't detect any chocolate flavour at all.

0713_green_tea_kit_kat.jpg

It actually is white chocolate mixed with green tea. I usually don't much care for white but in this case...

A quarter of my suitcase is usually filled with those goodies when I go to Japan! Sadly I had the last one just yesterday and my next trip isn't for sometime...
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your insightful opinions.

You're mistaking fact with opinions. Thermodynamics have nothing to do with herbal tea. Adding tea to gasoline won't change the fact that it becomes carbon monoxide. Same as adding tea to your diet won't change a surplus into a deficit.

"Energy cannot be destroyed or created, only changed from one form to another" please describe in detail the scientific benefits of this magical tea, also have you considered that green tea has caffeine in it, which is a diuretic, which might also influence your drop in weight due to the fact that you're having the equivalent of 6 cups a day? I among thousands of others drop from the double digits to the single digits in body fat yearly because we follow scientifically proven methods. If I were to drink tea daily it would have zero effect on my weight if I'm in a surplus.
  • HappyVeganKitty
    HappyVeganKitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    http://www.aor.ca/en/product/active-green-tea there is some decent info on this site.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    green tea Kit Kats

Wut? No.

^^ I'm with her.

A cup of hot green tea with a couple of Dove dark chocolate Promises is divine. I also get a "cocoa-mint" green tea from Adagio that is really good. It's actually a great combination (though I've never had the green tea kitkats)! :drinker:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    http://www.aor.ca/en/product/active-green-tea there is some decent info on this site.

:laugh:
    No.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

If woo and marketing hype is considered "decent info".