Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm up to 216 today and still hoping to gain 5 more lbs in the next 4 weeks before my first powerlifting meet. The meet roster is posted online and currently it looks like I'll have no competition if I move up into the 242 lb weight class. I just hope I don't bomb out because of the commands!

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't even bother going if I were going to end up in a dead class. I mean yes, meet competitions are really more about you competing with the bar and yourself, but it would still cheapen it for me. I'd probably end up trying to water cut to weigh in at the very top of the lower bracket, or slow my bulk if inexperienced with rapid cuts and replenishments.

ETA: nevermind, just saw where you said it's your first meet. In that case, anything to reduce the stress and butterflies will be good for you. I still wouldn't necessarily strive for such a class though. I am a competitive kinda person though.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    The last few days I have been feeling really good about my weight. My energy levels are pretty good and I feel really good about my workouts. I still want to keep going till the end of February but I have already started thinking of doing this again next fall!
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I'm up to 216 today and still hoping to gain 5 more lbs in the next 4 weeks before my first powerlifting meet. The meet roster is posted online and currently it looks like I'll have no competition if I move up into the 242 lb weight class. I just hope I don't bomb out because of the commands!

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't even bother going if I were going to end up in a dead class. I mean yes, meet competitions are really more about you competing with the bar and yourself, but it would still cheapen it for me. I'd probably end up trying to water cut to weigh in at the very top of the lower bracket, or slow my bulk if inexperienced with rapid cuts and replenishments.

ETA: nevermind, just saw where you said it's your first meet. In that case, anything to reduce the stress and butterflies will be good for you. I still wouldn't necessarily strive for such a class though. I am a competitive kinda person though.

I am competitive too and I want to do the best I can. The main reason I want to move up a weight class is that the federation deadlift record is lower in 242 vs 220 and may be more attainable if I have a good day at the meet.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I am competitive too and I want to do the best I can. The main reason I want to move up a weight class is that the federation deadlift record is lower in 242 vs 220 and may be more attainable if I have a good day at the meet.

In some federations, you can compete in a higher weight class without being that heavy as it is assumed being heavier is an advantage.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

In some federations, you can compete in a higher weight class without being that heavy as it is assumed being heavier is an advantage.

Although for tie break purposes the tie goes to the lighter competitor.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

That seems odd lol. What federation is this?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

I compete with NASA and a lot of the women's state records are the same way. Certain weight classes/age categories are fairly popular and others don't even have set records yet, or the lighter classes have higher totals than the heavier ones.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I compete with NASA and a lot of the women's state records are the same way. Certain weight classes/age categories are fairly popular and others don't even have set records yet, or the lighter classes have higher totals than the heavier ones.

If there was ever a reason to dreamer bulk, that is it. In men's divisions this is certainly not the case.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I have seen that in women's before, particularly the 84kg division since most women seem to just pass it over to get to unlimited. I haven't seen that in men's before though since the pools are larger.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

RPS. They're still growing - about 7-8 years old, I think - so there haven't necessarily been many competitors in every division.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited December 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

RPS. They're still growing - about 7-8 years old, I think - so there haven't necessarily been many competitors in every division.

That makes sense. There are always new PL federations springing up it seems. An example I know of is 00% RAW here in Canada is only a few years old and almost completely out West.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

It's RPS and I'm competing in their Submaster division instead of Open since I just aged up so that really lowers the number of competitors and the lift records.
  • _SamanthaLynn_
    _SamanthaLynn_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Update - I hired an online coach to help give me some peace of mind since this is my first bulk. Well it has been 5 weeks so far and she has not increased my calories at all because she is still seeing "how these macros affect my weight." I am still the same 125 pounds as when I first started. Bulking fail!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Update - I hired an online coach to help give me some peace of mind since this is my first bulk. Well it has been 5 weeks so far and she has not increased my calories at all because she is still seeing "how these macros affect my weight." I am still the same 125 pounds as when I first started. Bulking fail!

Well...at least you have maintenance calories nailed down. Time to increase your calories!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    5 weeks? Time to go up. Why is she waiting?

I'm usually slow to up- and I wait 3-4 weeks. #turtlebulker

in other news- I am doing a REALLY craptastic job keeping track of what i look like this bulk- merely going up and waiting a few weeks then going up again- I THINK I'm gettin bigger- but I really need to take some sort of status pictures- just lazy. go figure.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Up 3 pounds since the start of this thread, about 6 pounds in the last 3 months.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

40 lb deadlift PR after about 2 months of eating in a surplus, up about 5 lbs body weight. (Didn't intend to gain that much but I started eating like an *kitten* and things got a little out of hand....)
    The plan was to go back to cutting in January, but this is so much more fun lol
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I gained my pound back this week and kept my lifts up! I'm very happy where my lifts are, my bench and squat are coming along nicely. Yesterday was my last lifting day before the holidays. I won't be back in the gym until Jan 5th or 6th, possibly even the 9th. I plan to still workout, it just won't be with heavy weights. How much should I deload when coming back?