Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I gained my pound back this week and kept my lifts up! I'm very happy where my lifts are, my bench and squat are coming along nicely. Yesterday was my last lifting day before the holidays. I won't be back in the gym until Jan 5th or 6th, possibly even the 9th. I plan to still workout, it just won't be with heavy weights. How much should I deload when coming back?

I would consider the holidays your deload and then ramp back up the week back.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    It just seems that after having even a week off, I have to deload from where I was. I get so sore when I come back! I hate having to take that much time off, it feels like I lose so much, but the gym is closed and I will be out of town.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    ^Does your programming not have a ramping week following a deload?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I just do 5x5 (bench, squat, ohp, deads, row, hip thrusts) and increase when I can.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    I gained my pound back this week and kept my lifts up! I'm very happy where my lifts are, my bench and squat are coming along nicely. Yesterday was my last lifting day before the holidays. I won't be back in the gym until Jan 5th or 6th, possibly even the 9th. I plan to still workout, it just won't be with heavy weights. How much should I deload when coming back?

I would consider the holidays your deload and then ramp back up the week back.

This is what I would do (and have done) as well.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    I just do 5x5 (bench, squat, ohp, deads, row, hip thrusts) and increase when I can.

I would consider dropping 5 or 10 or pounds and possibly only 3x5 the first session or 2. Your second week back, be right back where you left off before holiday.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Do you use the app? If you take a week off, it should ask you if you want to deload. Answer yes, and it will reset your weights for you.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

I would consider dropping 5 or 10 or pounds and possibly only 3x5 the first session or 2. Your second week back, be right back where you left off before holiday.

Ok thanks. This is helpful. I'll try to get back more quickly this time.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options

Do you use the app? If you take a week off, it should ask you if you want to deload. Answer yes, and it will reset your weights for you.

No, I don't have the app but might try it. This sounds like a useful feature.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

What app?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »

What app?

Most likely this one: https://stronglifts.com/apps/

Odd and wonderful observation! The other day I bent over to pick something up. OMG what are these bumps on my forearm? I have had visibly significant muscle growth there!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I had said I was done bulking...managed to lose 1lb, and now....here I am. I suppose I'm still bulking because this whole "put the effing fork down" thing just isn't working for me.

9lbs gained. Feeling fat. Sporting a muffin top. Abs? What abs?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Maybe don't try cutting till holidays are over? It's so hard with all the treats everywhere.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So far a happy bulk for me..

Reverse dieting started Oct 30, that sort of got short changed after 2 weeks.. I am on my 9th week, up 6 pounds, and +1 inch all over..I made progress pics at the 6th week. To be honest, with me neglecting some of the accurate logging of calories over the holidays, I am not disappointed in the least..

I might not need to get a big head at this time and stick to the plan..
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I had said I was done bulking...managed to lose 1lb, and now....here I am. I suppose I'm still bulking because this whole "put the effing fork down" thing just isn't working for me.

I did a mini cut earlier this month because I kinda lost control of myself at the end of November. The first 2 days were the hardest but I bulked my meals up with low calorie veggies and kept my belly full. I bet you only suffer a few days and you will get back in the swing of losing. But ya...I would wait till after the holidays!

How have your workouts been @RoxieDawn?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How are you all doing?
    My bulk has been stalling the past month (basically just maintaining), but I am not stressing out about it because it's not like recomp is the end of the world right. I am thinking of adding a shake to my daily intake in the new year which hopefully should take care of things!
    I am still super happy with my progress up to this point. I am getting stronger, hitting PRs, trying new exercise moves, hitting the gym 3x per week, looking and feeling good overall!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

I did a mini cut earlier this month because I kinda lost control of myself at the end of November. The first 2 days were the hardest but I bulked my meals up with low calorie veggies and kept my belly full. I bet you only suffer a few days and you will get back in the swing of losing. But ya...I would wait till after the holidays!

How have your workouts been @RoxieDawn?

My workouts have been phenomenal this time around. I have been increasing weights every single week..

I did spend the first 5 weeks on working on the calorie aspect and finally stabilized that.. It appeared that I was going to be a big as the side of the house.. that initial first 5 weeks was rough..

To be sort of silly here, all of this is one big science experiment.. so I am paying fairly good attention to the sucess of the experiment this time around.. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Apparently my walking 7-12 miles per day is torching more energy than I expected. I set nyself around 3100-3300 kcals/day, in an attempt to gain a pound per week. After running that for almost a month now, I'm only seeing a 0.6 lbs./week increase.

If I go up much higher, this is gonna get obnoxious. I'm already using protein bars, brownies and cookies around my lifts to get in some dense calories. I refuse to go the route of the pizza joint again. The last time I did that, I just got fat as *kitten*.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I finished a bulk at the end of September. Starting weight was 164; final was 194. Unfortunately I tore an infraspinatus muscle late August and haven't been able to do much for chest and shoulders so I am sure I atrophied in those areas...Planning to have surgery early next year.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Maintaining around the holidays is what most people hope to achieve, so...way to go! You'll get your fire back, I have no doubt. Two weeks ago I was feeling so great that I thought I might extend my bulk through February. That's so not happening. Of course I'm bloated right now from the past few days but I don't think this feeling of grossness is going to go away. I'm both dreading going back to cutting and wanting February to hurry up and get here so I can start.