WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen thank you for your concern. I'm ok, just have two sisters and a brother in law in hospital with major health concerns. Im the youngest at 67, so we're all getting up there in years and I worry, which makes me want to eat. Thanks again.

Janetr okc
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sherry – If you are still here … I did not mean to ‘insult’ you. I don’t know what you are going through, I was merely suggesting things to look at. There was NO way for any of us to know what you are truly going through. Please don’t leave this site because of things I have said. I already have some people on this site who have ‘suggested that I am mean-spirited’, which has also be hurtful. I had a member post a PM that I sent to her, on this site … now, which was truly ‘mean-spirited’ on her part. If I had wanted to say what I did to her ‘on this thread’ I would not have sent her a PM. I just felt like I had a point to make about something she posted here, that was ‘offensive’ to me, maybe not to anybody else. I still don’t get responses from some of the people who took her side on something I disagreed with. We are here for encouragement, and if making a suggestion is taken the wrong way, then there isn’t anything I can do to make you see it any differently than you do. I’m sorry. Apology given; but, I cannot make you accept it.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    graphics-christmas-bells-224914.gif

No gym today but walked over 3 miles in the sun and clocked 17,792 steps up to now

Kate UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sherry, I am so sorry you feel you must leave. I know that I suggest many things that the person has already done only because my brain has forgotten that they have already done that. I simply do not remember at times. Also people suggest things here so that people who may be lurking can gain from their advice. You are a part of this community and your daily posts keep us up. they help me smile, they help me see another's input on life, how they struggle but yet smile and want to help others.

Well I managed to get up this morning and put my vegetable soup together. Poor Charlie, it's been in the crock pot for about and hour and he wanted to know when it will be ready. I guess that's a good sign that he is getting better. He is no longer running a temp and no vomiting. I just wish the diarrhea would stop but for that to happen he is going to have to eat some solid food.

Joyce, Indiana
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Joyce I sure hope you have both turned a corner, you've had a very rough patch of late.

Heather I often wonder what the stress hormone (cortisol, i think) does for our ability to lose weight even when we keep within our calories. I also blame lack of weight loss to hating the cold weather, even though I know it is all about CICO and time.

NYKAREN

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Barbie and Karen - It just doesn't seem FAIR! :sad: With my new heart monitor I'm putting more effort into my workouts. I'm eating below CICO, which I didn't use to do. Waaaaarrrrrggghhh! :'(
    Is there any justice in this world! :o Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    So sweet, Heather! Love your grands, they brighten my day.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Precious grandkids in their cuddly jammies!

Sherry - I agree with Joyce. We enjoy your cheery posts about your new adventure. We're here to encourage you, too. I admire you for making lemonade out of the lemons you've been given. We will miss hearing from you if you leave us.

Rita - I am wondering about the pictures, too.

I am celebrating with those of you who are improving in health or having successes facing food challenges right now.
    Big, big Santa Claus size hugs to those of you hurting right now.

Toni in Tennessee
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    I thought the pictures from Rita were because she was feeling sassy and trying to make us smile. Am I right, Rita?
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Becca – You are right to call the DMV and give them the heads up; maybe they can come up with a letter to write her and tell her she needs to come by there so that she can go get a new license/tag for her car. If she does, and they determine that she should not be able to get her license renewed, then she will just need to find a different mode of transportation. At 90-something-ish … I hope I can be as ‘fiercely independent’ as possible. But, I also know that I probably won’t be driving then. Right now, DH won’t let me drive on the Interstate.

Surprisingly, however, he will allow me to drive on the divided highway between where I live and the next ‘city’ and that stretch of highway is known by the State of having the most speeders stopped on it. When I go to turn out onto the highway, I have to really look because it is in a sharp curve; but, the other 2 ways of getting out on the highway are just as bad, one at the crest of a hill, the other one, just a block away, which is still in the curve. When I plan on turning into the turn only lane, I have to watch the traffic on both sides and then look at the car on the other side of the highway to try to figure out if he is coming straight across or is turning either way. People don't always use their signals, and sometimes they are on, and it doesn't mean they are turning. All the way into town, there are subdivisions and it seems like the cars that are waiting to turn onto the highway, wait until the cars are getting closer to them, meaning that those in the right-most side of the road have to move over. Then, they do something even ‘more’ stupid, they turn into the passing lane (or left-most side of the road). That is just another ‘accident’ screaming to happen. Lord knows, I hate to have to get out when it is raining. Especially here so close to Christmas. I’ve got to go into town on Friday AM to have an MRI done, too! UGH! UGH! YIKES!!!!!!

I was 4 when we moved into the house I grew up in; and, the neighbor was a 90-something year old woman that I referred to as the ‘girl next door’. Her back and side yards were planted FULL of various kinds of daffodils; and, I had gone over there and she had walked me all around them through the stone paths and named every one of them. She and her husband had built the place (he was some sort of doctor); but, he was deceased. She showed me which ones that I could not pick; but, told me to feel free to pick as many as I could hold in one hand, every day they were blooming. So I did, and took them home to my Mother, who threw a ‘conniption fit’ because she had not known I had been told I could do so. So she marches me back over and was surprised when she answered the door. I gave her the flowers back and was crying because of the entire incident. She then told Mother that she had told me that I could pick certain ones every day if I wanted to. We went home; and a couple of hours later she brought over a pan of ‘clover-leaf yeast rolls’, which became a gesture she did about 3 or 4 times a week. She was happy to tell me stories; and, I think I was just really intrigued with her bedroom. She had it in what I would call a sunroom, lots of windows with just sheers over them and pulled aside; and an old metal bed; the wallpaper looked like Kraft paper, no designs or anything, just full of pictures top to bottom. She tell me about the people in them. One, I will never forget was of her only child, a son, who had gone to California to live, in San Francisco right before the BIG earthquake. They just had to assume that he had been killed because they never heard from him again. So I think she enjoyed having a child around. Then one day, she just was no longer there, I don’t remember how old I was when she passed away; but, I always referred to her as the ‘girl next door’.

I lean over to dry my hair as well; but, then I have to push it back out of my eyes and around my mouth, or else I would get toothpaste all in it.

I’d never thought to do that. I usually just band in time with my hand on the steering wheel. I cannot imagine NOT singing the car! LOL!

Re - Next Tuesday, my weigh-in day; will be the 3rd one in row after a Women’s Retreat, then Thanksgiving, and now Christmas … and so far, I have ‘lost’ a little each time. Surprised, surprised, actually floored! Actually, it was just enough to get back to where I was prior to going/celebrating them in the first place. One 2-week period, even though I had done everything I should have done ... I jumped up 5lbs.

I’m hoping that I can keep it on an even keel and not really mess up between now and then. We have no plans for Christmas in the way of a big meal. Maybe he can take me out somewhere (if there is anything opened). If not, I guess we will just be sitting here, dragging stuff out of the freezer. I need to go through it anyway and rearrange what we have in there already. I do know we have another container of chicken and sausage gumbo that our DYS made and brought to us. I sometimes forget to tag what I have put in there only to figure, ... mmmm, maybe this is this and not that. I could not tell if it was chili or gumbo ... but, thrilled to find out that it was not chicken broth instead. LOL!

Christmas is now not one of my favorite seasons, mainly because I lost my Mother on the 15th of the month, several years ago. I’ll never be able to listen to “Silent Night” without bursting into tears. Amazing Grace gets me every time I hear it. And “Just As I Am” is probably one of my least favorite hymns. Six verses to any song is about 3 too many; especially when it gets repeated 3x during a church revival. While I was basically coerced into ‘going down front’ as it is called in a lot of Southern Baptist Church, I had NO idea what it meant. I actually did not become a Christian until 2 days before my 60th birthday. When my DH and I married, he was a Catholic, but, just not a practicing one. I converted because I knew he would never go to a Baptist church (other than when he did to marry me) … so he went to classes with me. Funny, my Daddy had always said there were 3 (maybe 4) things that ‘no daughter of his would EVER do’ and one of them was to ‘marry a Catholic’. But, then we invited him to a Christmas Eve Midnight Mass and he really got into it. I thought he was going to talk the poor head priest’s ears off. He looked around the cathedral like a child seeing Christmas lights for the first time. He had read up on all of the major religions in a series of books he had; but, one of them went missing and was never found.

I think one of the reasons that my DH has refused to ‘totally’ retire is because his Granddaddy died within a year of retiring and it broke his heart not to be able to get up and go to work. My DH is always doing something … piddling. He would not be ‘right under my foot’ if there was anything he could do, just piddling! People are surprised when he tells them that he is 75; he certainly does not look it and certainly does not act it. But, he is slowing down and getting tired more often.

I know when my DBnL had a really major stroke back before Halloween (and he is younger than DH); I think he really started getting a bit more aware of his own mortality. When they came home from Louisiana, he was telling me that DYS came to the gate ‘with the pretense of needing to do something to the lock’ … said that when he went to shake his hand, he grabbed him in a bear hug; and, he almost ‘lost it’; but, tried not to shed tears in front of either of them. But, when he started telling me about it, he just burst the damn and let it flow. He really misses him and he knows that he won’t ever get to see him or have the relationship with him that he does with our DOS, because he works for him. He wondered how DYS felt each time we left from out there and what he had to go back into (a junky falling down piece o’$#*T trailer that was, at best, extremely depressing) … although it was on a lake and had a fabulous view! I told him, now he knows why I cry every time we leave from out there; because I am crying for all of us. I miss him, too; and, I only get to see him 2x a year, unless the surprise us like they did at Easter. But, DDnL#2’s ‘ex’ is a butt-O, to the highest degree, especially about visitation. He tried to take her daughter away from her when they were first divorced, and took her to court over some of the stupidest things; to the point that the Judge told them the next time they appeared in front of him, they better have a settlement agreement almost ironed out, or he (the 'ex') would rue the day he ever saw him. So she agreed to less money and he agreed not to try to take custody of her. But, he has to pay for everything that she does, dancing lessons, sports, cheerleading, and all the money for uniforms or costumes ... which can get on up there. Now they have this weird 2/3 3/2 day rotation which sort of screws up time she and DYS (her present DH) can make plans to do. They share holidays; splitting time in 1/2. She told me not long ago, that she thinks that it will all end up back court again, because now it is not working for either of them; but, she is waiting for him to make the first move. When the daughter bragged, not long ago, to her Daddy in front of DYS, her Mama, her step-mom, her grandparents (DDnL#2's parents) that they were looking for a house and/or land to build a house; the step-mom said, "Well, that'll suxs, it's going to be bad to only be able to see your Mama on every other weekend and maybe on Wednesdays!" ... as Tami said, 'you could hear a pin drop'. Will had to turn her around and walk away quickly. There is certainly a BIG Mama Grizzly Bear in that little 5'2" tiny woman. He basically put his arm around her shoulder and his hand over her mouth, telling her to 'calm down' ... that was NOT going to happen. I'm surprise that he Daddy did not jump right on in there. I bet if it had been HIM instead of her saying ... they would have had to pull him off of the 'ex'. Nobody's gonna mess with 'his' baby, for sure. I don't think that DYYGD knew what had been said or meant. I have to say she is my DYYGD; because she is not the 'youngest' of the 4 of them; and, I don't like the word 'step' anything.

I’m on SSD and my DH receives SSI (and I have a small retirement check; but, more than ½ of it goes for health insurance through a COBRA’d policy) … since it covers both me and DH … and he never had any since going out on his own into his painting business. IF they do away with SS … we’re screwed, for sure! I don’t think they will, not in the next 4 years at least. Maybe Trump will do some ‘figure crunching’ and figure out where the money that has been being paid into it has gone, and gets it put back in. For that reason, I think electing a 'businessman' might have been better than a 'career' politician. But, of course, that is IMHO only. Others probably disagree. Even my own sister and I don't discuss 'politics' or 'religion'. LOL!!! We’ll see; maybe that will be a good reason why we have a businessman in the position of POTUS after the 20th of January. I’m sure there will be a lot of things he won’t be able to ‘undo’ but, I also think that he will cut out a lot of government frivolous spending since it is making the spending so awfully high (rising higher and at a greater speed than the population counter).

I put things in single serving baggies myself, such as snacks … potato chips, and other things that would not be healthy if I grabbed the entire bag of them, ‘because you can’t just eat one’. I like pickled okra and other things like that. Sometimes I will buy a bunch of bananas; and since I like the ‘on the green side’ I put them into the fridge. The skins will turn black; but the inside remains firms a lot longer. I don’t even leave them out overnight because one thing I cannot stand is a mushy banana or a mushy apple. I like the Grannie Smith apples because they are ‘crisp and tart’.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Leanne - Welcome to the site! Just jump right in and start posting. Lot of encouragement ... we're all in this together. On the last day of the month Barbiecat will post a link to the next month. Make sure you bookmark it (and this one) by clicking on the outline of the star at the upper right-hand corner of the posting area. Then the next time, all you will have to do is click on the gray star between the bell and gear and it will drop down a list with the thread's name on it. Everybody has different ways of how they post to the site. For me, it is easier to open up a Word Processing Program, type my responses there and the cut and paste them to MFP. One thing that you cannot do is 'go back a page' if you have started typing without 'posting' it, or else you will lose you post. When you get ready to post, you need to make sure that you are at the bottom of the last page of posts, so it won't get over-looked. Since we are such a big group and we have ladies from all over the world here, you might find a bit of lag time before you can actually post something. Just paste it back to you WWP page and wait a minute. It usually means there are a lot of us posting at the same time and the site is putting in as many as it can do before it has to make a new page. We really 'try' NOT to discuss 'politics' or 'religion' here because of the variety of women here, and the different countries that are also dealing with their own political issues. We're here because we all have something in common ... a journey of losing, maintain, gaining, or just being Women over the age of 50 who want and need support and encouragement. After reading a few pages you will see that we are likely to some days just 'rant and rave and vent' and other days, we are able to be the bug, instead of the windshield. Well, either way ... "some days you feel like a nut; some days you don't." Some of us are dealing with health issues, some of us are dealing with health issues of husbands, children, parents, loss of a job, getting a new job, just dealing with a job, or moving or whatever. We just come here because we are all friends. There are some abbreviations that are used ... like DH (might mean 'dear' husband or 'damn' husband) CICO - Calories In, Calories Out (what you eat and what exercise you do). We would all suggest that you track everything that passes your lips and track it daily as well as exercise. Get a good set of food scales and measuring cups and spoons as soon as you can. I'm sure that there are other suggestions that others will think about and post for your information. We can also send a 'PM' (private message); but, I 'think' you have to have made a friend request for that to be able to work first.

Barbie – DH will bring home ½ of his Chinese lunch special; they pile it on, and it is way more than he could eat himself at one sitting. I love the hot and spicy soup myself. DH likes the egg drop. I love Chinese food, too; but, the rice is very high in calories because of the oil it is fried in. One reason it is called “Fried Rice”.

Heather – Have you looked back on the weeks that you were losing weight to see if you were eating something different back them? I’ve been told that your body sometimes has to have a bit of shock (do something differently) to kick you off a plateau especially if you are eating the same thing, day in, day out. Are you drinking enough water/liquids? Has you exercise program changed?

Carol – I got my SSD ‘explanation form in yesterday’; but, that .3% raise does not show up until your February check; but, ‘if’ your Medicare premium goes up, then you are probably right, it won’t go up, much. I know this past year, without the cost of living expense increase, my check that I deposit was about $1 less … because my Medicare premium went up. I’ve heard and read so many conflicting accounts of whether or not Congress does or does not pay into the SS system it is unreal. I don’t know why they would be excluded from doing so. But, those types of rumors just inflames everybody; but, they certainly get ‘perks’ that give them power to make more money, especially the ones who have made ‘politics’ their career. They get a Civil Service Retirement Package … which makes it so they are paid lavish incomes after leaving office as well as healthcare. Who actual came up with that seems to be somewhat of a mystery. Read on article; then read another and they conflict in every way. But, those screaming the loudest have the most to lose if they are forced out of their Civil Service Retirement Program, for sure. What gets done with the monies that get paid into the system if someone dies before receiving benefits … ‘might’ and I say ‘might’ (again) could be that they set up ‘survivors’ benefits’ and that money had to come from somewhere. Children are also included in being able to claim off a parent’s SSI. Even a spouse who has never worked is entitled under the other one’s payments into the system. So that is possibly why they keep screaming that the Social Security funds are running out.

But, I do know this, from personal experience from my Federal Government job. I was receiving a nice retirement check; until I reached 62 and it dropped significantly, so much to the point that I now receive less than what I have to pay my COBRA’d insurance policy with. It was a shock; but, I will receive it for life. COBRA’d insurance is expensive; but, for me, it is worth having it because so much of the medication I take would not be covered under the Plan D portion of the SSA. Medications that I have ‘no other choice’ than to take … because what is the ‘norm’ is something I cannot take – ever! It just about killed me before I got taken off it. Lithium, even though I was taking it as prescribed, I became Lithium Toxic and spent 3 weeks in ICU. From that point on, I really started questioning what was being given to me, and why. The main reason I am losing weight it to ‘try’ to get off some of the medications I do have to take; but, some I will never be able to – ever! So far, my MDs and I have discussed several of the pills I have been Rx’d and some of them I am not willing to ‘mess with’ at this point because I don’t want to shake an ‘already unstable boat’ that I sit in on a day-to-day basis. I go with the program of ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’.

Rita – I can ‘understand’ the picture you posted … I felt like that today when I got ‘sucker-punched’ just a little while ago when I opened up to read the posts by someone else here. Lines in sand, and dare to cross them; without knowing the entire story or reason. ‘Nuff said! Everybody has an opinion and sometimes suggestions are made and taken very incorrectly when they were not meant to be.

Margaret – I do try to ‘taste my words before I say/type them’ … you cannot imagine how many times I have deleted an entire Word Processing document before cutting and pasting it to MFP after reading over them. Again, I should have ‘seen’ the hook and still NOT taken it; but, apparently I did. I’ve already had it ‘implied’ that I was the reason that another member left. But, for that person to post a PM that I had sent to her was more mean-spirited that anything I said to her in it. She should have PM’d me back, instead.

This site has given me a whole LOT of encouragement that I would not get otherwise, since I stay home now and not able to work. I try to entertain myself in various ways, reading, painting and drawing, working with my plants and flowers – weather permitting, playing with my little crazy fur baby, and reading what others are posting. I am not able to be around my friends, in town. Besides, most of them still work a full-time jobs. I’ve adjusted to those who don’t respond to anything I ever post, good, bad, or indifferent. Some people are just drawn to one set of people and others are drawn to others. Some areas they even overlap. But, like FB – it is a form of social communication and some people are going to put more on it than others do. I feel safe here because I know this is ‘where’ it is ‘supposed’ to stay … when I say it.

Other sites on MFP have turned out to be ones that I want absolutely NO PART of because it seems like the people are just in it to ‘pick up and hook up’ with someone ‘new’. In that way, I have deleted several of the threads I had bookmarked that had started our fairly lightly, then turned bad in a matter of days. This one is the only one that I post to. Maybe I should just ‘lurk’ for a while. I don’t know; I just feel like I wasn’t totally to blame for the incident, but 20/20 hindsight is always more informative about what you ‘wish you had or had not said or done’. Maybe I should have left it at 'take a deep breath and take a walk'. Instead, it was interpreted as 'take a hike'. But, I also know that there are some people who want to be a victim and then try to blame it all on others because they took their suggestions as insults. I don’t think any of us did so to be cruel. But, again, that is only IMHO.

Lenora
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
  • ccprawak
    ccprawak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Happy Holidays,
    I am new to this thread and like many of you have been on and off and on and off and on.... I am working with the Bariatric Medical Institute here in Ottawa, Canada. They are fabulous, but I think they sigh when they see me coming in. It has been 180 days of tracking, and up one pound. I turned 59 in August and have about 150 lbs to loose.

Every couple of weeks I grit my teeth and jump in again, but yikes!

I have no kids, the best husband in the world and apparently no will power.

best wishes to all of you, and you will see me lurking and jumping in to the discussion every once in a while.

Cindy
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cindy from Ottawa: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Stop by often to post and share the conversation. :flowerforyou:
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Heather - Cute pictures of the grands in their matching PJs. Bea sort of looks a bit surprised by it all. This will be one of those wonderful Christmases because they are all young enough to think only good things about Santa. Bea is old enough that the wrapping will be more intriguing than the present itself. When I was growing up, we were not allowed to come downstairs until we were called. There were heavy double sliding doors from the foyer into the LR and it would have probably taken all of us pulling on them to open them up, so that wasn't a problem - of us seeing things after parents had gone to bed. They were closed at night (at Christmas) and we were not allowed to touch them after that. The sheers on the French doors separating the foyer from the main hall gave our parents enough separation that they could cross the hall and go into the dining room and into the living room without us seeing them. We knew that we were told to NOT go into either of the closets under the back stairwell or we'd get a 'spanking'. Daddy's closet under the top steps was a cedar closet and his hunting gear was behind his closes; my Mother closet was under the first set of stairs before the landing; both very deep so they could hide some pretty big items under there, like bikes and stuff.

One Christmas when we were all adults with children of our own and 'home' at my parents for the holidays, my DMS and I found a pair of our old bikes hidden in the cedar closet; so we take them and ride out to the city pool and back. Easily 6-7 miles round trip, up and down some big hills. We came in the back, put the bikes up with their stands and went into the living room to sit and talk. The kids were running around, mainly in the den in the back of the house and in the large back hall. The guys had come in from hunting. We were sitting around talking and all of a sudden we heard a 'POW'. My DMS and I (with the 4 youngest grandchildren) jumped up and about knocked one another down trying to get back there to find out what had happened. It sounded like a gun going off; we all thought that one of the rifles had fallen over and gone off. Although my Dad never, ever, ever had a loaded gun in the house, for any reason. We get to the doorway, and her daughter was pointing at something, only the youngest one was not visible. We looked at one another, just thinking - Oh God, it is Michael! All 3 of the oldest ones were standing there pointing and their mouths were wide open and they could not say anything. Come to find out one of the tires had blown out! Michael was down on his hands and knees by the bikes; but, not hurt. I think we were both so happy that none of them were hurt or killed that we were both about to bawl! The tires were dry-rotted. I'm surprised that we were able to ride as far as we did before they blew.

Lenora
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Just saying hi!

The Doctor Who Angels are not a happy type of hello... ((Hugs!))

I hope you are doing all right, Hon.

Re in TX
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Heather Christmas pj's made my day!

I agree with you Lenora what is said in a personal message needs to stay in the personal messages unless you ask permission to post. I also agree with you about some of the other forums here. In those other sites people say some very cruel things. I have never felt that way here. I like this better than Facebook. Even though I do like Facebook it does sometimes remind me of Christmas Letters all year long. Here I feel like I get to know those who post more in depth as we discuss many of the challenges we face. Hopefully Sherry will rejoin us. She is always welcome back.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,968 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    I thought the pictures from Rita were because she was feeling sassy and trying to make us smile. Am I right, Rita?

You are correct Drkatiebug! Just in a weird mood.

Is this better? >:):D

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/santa.gif

funny-santa-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif